Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Strange vs. Koni Yellow Adjustables (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=951)

Doug1227 01-12-2013 01:28 PM

Strange vs. Koni Yellow Adjustables

I ran Strange Adjustables on my Fox. Any reason the ones for 05-10 wouldn't work fine on my '12? They're about $200+ cheaper than Koni Yellows. Will the Strange do ok on a lowered vehicle? Any reason I should pick one over the other? I do plan on drag racing the car, and probably won't ever road race it, but do want to be able to adjust for street driving vs. the track,etc. Speak up!

jayman33 01-12-2013 04:03 PM

The Koni yellows do very well with lowered cars. I'll send you a pm in afterwards on pricing. I have the yellows on my Boss right now, they offer a hefty range of adjustability and paired with the right Springs (BMR) they would do very well at the track. The BMR rear spring rate I beleive is right at 160ish, so with the adjustability you could easily run at the track and on the street.

Toby 01-12-2013 09:37 PM

The strange will be a better fit for your application. The koni are valved more towards handling. You can only adjust the compression on either set, but the koni rebound are not so much drag friendly.

Doug1227 01-12-2013 09:43 PM

That's kinda the feedback I'm wanting. I'm looking for something that ranges from a little bit stiffer than stock since I'm lowered to pretty loose up front for at the track. Car will eventually be supercharged, so traction will become an issue at some point.

downtime! 01-12-2013 10:37 PM

All I do is race mine, and daily it to work and back sometimes. I'm thinking of going with the Lakewood 70/30 combo - http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Drag-Strut-Kit

Daily driving on the 70/30s isn't too bad, but the 90/10s are a bit scary on the street.

Luke 01-13-2013 02:11 AM

I've been wondering the exact same thing about the Strange shocks, I'll be doing more drag racing than anything else and they are significantly cheaper. Downtime, have you read any reviews about the Lakewood's, those don't look bad either.

pohnjarker 01-13-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 15572)
The strange will be a better fit for your application. The koni are valved more towards handling. You can only adjust the compression on either set, but the koni rebound are not so much drag friendly.

this is pretty much what ive read about them.

most likely will be going with the strange all around with some sportline springs.

the lakewoods look interesting, i'll have to read up on them too.

downtime! 01-13-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 15583)
I've been wondering the exact same thing about the Strange shocks, I'll be doing more drag racing than anything else and they are significantly cheaper. Downtime, have you read any reviews about the Lakewood's, those don't look bad either.

Not these in particular, but they've been around for years. I used Lakewood stuff 30 years ago back in high school.

Luke 01-13-2013 11:59 AM

Yeah I meant with these cars, I've looked a little through SVTP but haven't seen many people running them. I've had Lakewood and Strange stuff on previous cars, no complaints on those.

downtime! 01-13-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke (Post 15599)
Yeah I meant with these cars, I've looked a little through SVTP but haven't seen many people running them. I've had Lakewood and Strange stuff on previous cars, no complaints on those.

They've only been out a short time for our cars. For the price, I think it's going to be hard to beat them. Won't have the infinite adjustability of the others, but then, that's why I don't run coil overs. Kind of a set it and forget it kind of guy! LOL!

Toby 01-14-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pohnjarker (Post 15587)
this is pretty much what ive read about them.

most likely will be going with the strange all around with some sportline springs.

the lakewoods look interesting, i'll have to read up on them too.

honestly that would be a terrible mis match setup. If you plan to do any drag racing, sportline springs are about the worst spring you can get. They set the car very low, the spring rate is very stiff, they do not allow for a good weight transfer. i would look more into maybe a steeda ultralite spring for a general spring. They have a better rate that will allow for better weight transfer but also give a nice stance.

pohnjarker 01-14-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 15694)
honestly that would be a terrible mis match setup. If you plan to do any drag racing, sportline springs are about the worst spring you can get. They set the car very low, the spring rate is very stiff, they do not allow for a good weight transfer. i would look more into maybe a steeda ultralite spring for a general spring. They have a better rate that will allow for better weight transfer but also give a nice stance.

my mistake, i meant the pro kit springs, not the sportline...i get them mixed up sometimes.

i have also been looking at the ultralites for a while now.

i have a few months until i need to make a decision since id like to put it all on in May, or, if i can get the wife to take it to TS, i'll have it done before i get home so i dont have to worry about all of that like i did last month with the Paxton install. took way more time than i planned and the wife wasnt happy.

downtime! 01-14-2013 03:18 AM

I have the Pro kit on mine and I can usually cut decent 60 ft's (1.6x pretty regularly). I'm thinking about replacing them with the Drag Launch kit since that's all I really do with the car anymore.

BLK2012GT 01-14-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby (Post 15694)

Damn I didn't know sport lines suck for drag.

Grandpa 01-14-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 15701)
Damn I didn't know sport lines suck for drag.

They don't suck. lol. They may not be the perfect ideal drag springs for the track, but you can still get them to hook hard and still have a nice drive on the street. A drag set up on a street car fucking sucks to drive around town. It's sloppy, nose dives and lifts just under regular driving conditions, floats on the highway etc. My buddy Mike gets his car to pull 1.5's on Sportlines. You can also look on SVTP and there is plenty of guys hitting good 60's on Sportlines.