Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Lets Talk Tires (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3623)

Soulowd 02-08-2014 11:42 PM

Lets Talk Tires

Alright Fellas I need opinions on the best tires for Street/Strip every day type of use. When I had my 04' Cobra I had Nitto 555 and those were pretty good. Im prob gonna stick with 19 inch rims as well...and.......GO!

Zeek 02-08-2014 11:44 PM

Nitto Invos

downtime! 02-09-2014 12:29 AM

No such thing as a good street/strip tire. Some are better than others, but as far as actual "good" goes, simply doesn't exist (unless you daily on ET's). Street tire launches are completely do-able, but they are hard on the clutch and unless you practice every weekend, are just too hard to duplicate effectively. Buy the Racestars that Darkpony is about to list for sale and keep them for the track outings.

DirtyD 02-09-2014 01:23 AM

Get different rims. For the tire width you need, those wheels won't cut it.

Bacadiesel 02-09-2014 02:28 AM

Michelin pilot super sports !!!!!!!!!!!

Crimson600+HP 02-09-2014 03:14 AM

I wish I could swing the PSS' s, but that little extra performance isn't worth the extra money IMO. I have been looking into either the Bridgestone Pole Position S-04's or the Continental DW's in 285/35/18s for track day duty.

For whatever you end up with, swing an extra set of wheels for track day use. I run all season rated at 50k miles for DD use. No sense wasting great tires in city traffic

Soulowd 02-09-2014 05:10 AM

Good stuff! Yeah maybe someday ill be able to afford some nice dark stars with some track wheels but for now gonna have to do a combo

re-rx7 02-09-2014 11:13 AM

DD race car is a bad idea in general.

Soulowd 02-09-2014 11:19 AM

Not a DD I have 12 Camry for DD use. But I realistically go to the track maybe a handful of times a year. Just need a well rounded tire

re-rx7 02-09-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63913)
Not a DD I have 12 Camry for DD use. But I realistically go to the track maybe a handful of times a year. Just need a well rounded tire

Sorry, I was talking to crimson600+. I like bridgestone and nitto is a tough tire to beat, especially if your just getting started. Work on your technique and lines before buying a truly outrageous priced set of tires.

Soulowd 02-09-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63914)
Sorry, I was talking to crimson600+. I like bridgestone and nitto is a tough tire to beat, especially if your just getting started. Work on your technique and lines before buying a truly outrageous priced set of tires.

Yeah there are some expensive tires out there for sure. I want some vossen rims but those retarded expensive too.

Soulowd 02-09-2014 11:31 AM

Any one tried the Kumho Ecsta's?

Crimson600+HP 02-09-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63914)

I don't everyday drive my car. I refer to DD whenever i drive my car on the street.I usually show it off like once a week when weather favors me driving it. I have raced in rain/wet conditions before and know the limits of my driving ability. For people who like to HPDE, dob t shy away from a wet track. You will learn more about your car there than anywhere else.

Soulowd 02-09-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP (Post 63920)
I don't everyday drive my car. I refer to DD whenever i drive my car on the street.I usually show it off like once a week when weather favors me driving it. I have raced in rain/wet conditions before and know the limits of my driving ability. For people who like to HPDE, dob t shy away from a wet track. You will learn more about your car there than anywhere else.

you know the old saying, "Drive it like you stole it" :)

re-rx7 02-09-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63915)
Yeah there are some expensive tires out there for sure. I want some vossen rims but those retarded expensive too.

Good wheels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63916)
Any one tried the Kumho Ecsta's?

HAd them on my 7. Not a bad tire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP (Post 63920)

I learned in the Mtns about driving. Grew up in the eastern part of OK near Talimena Dr.

GTOphil 02-09-2014 02:51 PM

I'm looking forward to my new tires when I buy them.

I'm buying a set of SVE drifts with Nitto NT555s on them. I know they might not be the "best" out there, but they're what I wanted to go with for the price and they've GOT to be better than these freaking Pirellis that came with the car!

Just the fact that I'll have a wider contact patch makes me giggle...from 235/19s to 255/18 in the front and 285/18 in the back.

Soulowd 02-09-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63940)
I'm looking forward to my new tires when I buy them.

I'm buying a set of SVE drifts with Nitto NT555s on them. I know they might not be the "best" out there, but they're what I wanted to go with for the price and they've GOT to be better than these freaking Pirellis that came with the car!

Just the fact that I'll have a wider contact patch makes me giggle...from 235/19s to 255/18 in the front and 285/18 in the back.

Yeah I wouldnt mind having some sve drifts with some nittos as well. but i know as soon as i buy em someone will post up some vossen concave wheels like i want.

GTOphil 02-09-2014 03:26 PM

SVE drift with Nittos is all I can afford right now...so my mind is made up lol

DirtyD 02-09-2014 03:44 PM

Is your car an auto or manual? Honestly, if the car isn't a daily driver, get a set of SVE drag wheels, and some DRs. Don't waste your time on street tires, much less all season tires.

2014gt 02-09-2014 05:06 PM

my plan is 555r for the street and bias plys for the track
275/60/15, if you have all that power might as well be able to use most of it on the street, granted the 555 wont dead hook or anything but it will be better than a summer tire

Soulowd 02-09-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63946)
Is your car an auto or manual? Honestly, if the car isn't a daily driver, get a set of SVE drag wheels, and some DRs. Don't waste your time on street tires, much less all season tires.

mine is manual

DirtyD 02-09-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63961)
mine is manual

Makes it kind of tricky. Bias ply at the track is what you will want to run, but getting a summer tire for the street should be able to give you good traction, but you will need at least a 285 tire, which won't fit on those GT/CS wheels

NAVAG 02-09-2014 08:48 PM

My 5.0 is a Daily Driver and I recently bought

Continental Extreme Contact DW's

Very good tires
Light Weight
Good Grip
Long Tread Life

Slow Five-O 02-09-2014 09:13 PM

My preference is for normal weekend or more where you're concerned with tire wear (but not DD) driving and good track use, NITTO NTO5R.

For some street use and not worried about tire wear or getting caught in the rain and excellent strip performance, MT ET STREET RADIAL.

If it's my DD (though i read it's not yours) regular low wear tires good in the rain. And slicks for the track!

My 82 is just a weekend cruiser, drive it sometimes and drive to the track. It's got a decent amount of power where i don't even feel like i would want to get on it with a non DR tire. I don't want to get caught at a stop light with no tires either. :p
I run nt05R on 17's and I'm surprised by their grip after swearing off Nitto's 6 years ago.

M3AN 1 02-12-2014 09:58 AM

I have really grown to like the Continential Extreme Contact DW's. Had them on my blown Cobra and they laster longer and hooked better in the dry or wet then any of my nitto 555R's.Conti's were 285/40-18 vs the larger 305 nittos to.

Futwa 02-12-2014 11:20 AM

I'll second or third I guess the Continentials. Quiet tire that was excellent in the rain, a good choice for dd cars.

DallasGator 02-18-2014 10:20 PM

this is what I am thinking of when time comes: (tirerack.com prices)

BFGoodrich g-force Sport COMP-2
255/40R19 for $195 ea
285/35R19 for $208 ea

on brembo wheels, people say 285 doesn't fit but that's usually people that never tried. On another forum someone has 285s and it fits fine, minimal to zero bulge.

They have good ratings and reviews:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/rt-archi...e-sport-comp-2

Boss949 02-19-2014 12:54 AM

Ask Travis about MT ET Street Radial II's in 19". I only put about 300 miles per month and when it gets warmer, I put these DR's on the car. That way I can just drive to the strip and it's ready. Not bad for just driving around town (no twisties). Typically get 4-5,000 miles out of them.

If you are serious about tires for strip; these are awesome, even in 19".

ps. I still have the OEM Pirelli's. Next tire will be the Michelin Pilot Super Sport

Soulowd 02-25-2014 06:07 PM

I wonder if these are the tires he always has on his show room area. Im gonna check em out

DirtyD 02-25-2014 06:26 PM

1) Just because it fits, doesn't mean it will perform as it was intended to, especially when talking about the sidewall.

2) Running a DR on a stick car is asking for something to break sooner than later.

I don't know many people running the Sport comps, but I can tell you there are plenty of people running the Conti DW that love them, and they are basically a cheaper version of the MPSS.

Soulowd 02-25-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 65532)
1) Just because it fits, doesn't mean it will perform as it was intended to, especially when talking about the sidewall.

2) Running a DR on a stick car is asking for something to break sooner than later.

I don't know many people running the Sport comps, but I can tell you there are plenty of people running the Conti DW that love them, and they are basically a cheaper version of the MPSS.

True...I have heard really good things about the Conti DW's plus they have a 50,000 mile rating. That means it should atleast get me to 15k :)

DirtyD 02-25-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 65533)
True...I have heard really good things about the Conti DW's plus they have a 50,000 mile rating. That means it should atleast get me to 15k :)

No, you are thinking about the DWS. The DWS is the all season version of the DW. The DW is the summer tire. Michelin is the only company that has a mileage warranty on their summer tire, the Pilot Super Sport. Even then it's a 30k mile warranty, or 15k if you stagger the sizes. They don't warranty summer tires because of the low thread rating, plus some people actually use them to road race on, wearing them down faster.

DallasGator 02-25-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 65532)

I don't know why my edit didn't go through but I changed my plans:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....kes&tab=Survey

255 front 275 rear.

I've also read an article on what "Summer tire" means. According to the writer, it is basically a tire that can perform in anything but snow/ice. However, there seems to be no rule on how to classify the tire. I just figured a tire with very good reviews AND 500 treadwear is pretty fantastic. I drive 30-40 highway miles a day so I think the extra life will be helpful.

Dominic Toretto 02-26-2014 11:22 AM

I've got BFG Sport Comp 2 XLs on my car. 255s and 285s. I like them.

-Alex

Brn N Rubr 02-26-2014 11:50 AM

I love my Continue DW 285/35-19 all around. Quiet, comfortable and improved traction! And reasonably priced!!!

Soulowd 03-06-2014 12:32 PM

well just bought some Continental extreme contact DW for the stang. should get them in a few days pretty stoked

DirtyD 03-06-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 66111)
well just bought some Continental extreme contact DW for the stang. should get them in a few days pretty stoked

You will be happy with them for sure.

5PointSlow 03-11-2014 02:08 AM

I run 295/30/19 toyo R888s. I wish they came in a 35 or even a 285 but they don't and I was told these tires hook like a mofo. My buddy wasn't lying. They flat hook from a roll on the street. I wasn't home long enough to get them on the track to see how they do there. first gear is fairly useless in my car with them on the street but 2nd is good to go. These tires finally helped kill my stock clutch (its slipping now) so itll be going to truestreet when I get home for a new RXT and dynatech DS.

Crimson600+HP 03-11-2014 10:23 AM

I decided on the DW's a while back before I even needed another set of tires. My reasoning behind is was there performance/price. Easily the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best summer only tire out there, every magazine and reviewer agrees with that statement. They are an industry standard, but they are never on sale and cost a pretty penny.

After the PSS, according to TireRack and other testers, there is a cluttered field of 2nd placers. Pole Position S04's, the Conti DW's, and the others falling behind those two. At that point, it all comes down to which tire has the size you want. Conti's are known for a great road manners tire with decent handling/traction in performance driving. The Pole Position S04's are rated better at handling/traction, but suffer a little more for road manners. All are negligible though unless you are a serious driver. Heck, even pros can barely tell a difference.

Needless to say, right now you can get the Conti DW's for a great price and a free Ion Camcorder (some Go-Pro Type thing) or a $70 credit card bring the price down a little more.

DirtyD 03-11-2014 12:17 PM

If I can save enough money, my next tire setup, if my plan works as I hope it does, will be a set of Hankook Ventus RS-3s with some 18x10 wheels to go on them.

If not, I will probably just stick with the brembo wheels and get some 285/35/19 Conti DW all around.