Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tuning Conundrum (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3611)

GTOphil 02-06-2014 11:27 PM

Tuning Conundrum

Ok guys I have an issue.

My car is perfect, I have zero issues with it. It's close to stock. I have an axle back and an iTsx SCT tuner with 3 tunes from Bama.

I realize there are a LOT of people who hate these types of tunes- though I haven't ever had issues with them and my car doesn't get driven often or had.

I want a custom tune soon (just because it's optimal, not because of issues) BUT....

WHO? WHERE?

I have NO idea who to trust. Some say True Street, some say GearHeads, some say Hypermotive...and then of course I could go with SNL Performance but I don't know who does their Ford tuning.

How do I know I'm getting a good/safe tune for my 5.0 so I can sleep in peace?

I'd appreciate advice.

DirtyD 02-06-2014 11:40 PM

Email tunes are still good tunes, you just have to get them from the right places. Datalog, datalog, datalog. That's the key.

I personally have had a JPC and VMP tune. Both are great, each with their own "small" pros and cons. It comes down to who you feel you will be comfortable with.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 11:43 PM

GTO, you have seen the nightmare I have been going through...Here is what i can say...I have been going to Travis @ Gearheads since prob 2006 and everyone I talk to that knows anything about performance shops around DFW knows he is pretty high up on the totem Pole as far as reputation/respect. He stands behind his work hardcore. Ill let you know how my Dyno Tune goes tomorrow for sure though man.

GTOphil 02-06-2014 11:46 PM

I admittedly haven't dataloged the Bama tune. I run WOT occasionally...but I've owned the car for a year and put 5k on it. I don't street race, just the occasional mashing it so the kids laugh.

My car is so close to stock at this time I'm not concerned about the Bama tune- especially because they have a 3/36 warranty on the engine in case of a #8 issue <----that to me says a lot about their confidence the tuning has been perfected over the last few years.

I also ran across a thread on another forum where a guy did some extensive research and noted that a LOT of the #8 problems came from a particular PCM code from cars built in the middle of 2011- indicating that perhaps there was a bad batch of ecus- and of course early on I know there were tuners who didn't know what they were doing.

I sent Travis an email. I've talked to Tim @ TSM. My problem is I'm just not sure who to trust my baby to since they WON'T be offering a warranty (and no I wouldn't expect them to). GH is a well known mustang name...I just want to get it tuned safely and if there's more power there- cool.

downtime! 02-07-2014 12:20 AM

Gearheads got 435 out of mine with the custom dyno tune, and, most importantly, they were able to sort out a tuning nightmare after the blower installation and initial tuning was done by another shop. Travis has tuned every Mustang I've owned and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone.

re-rx7 02-07-2014 12:23 AM

Remember that all out hp is not the ultimate goal. Drivability and curve are more important to me then peak #'s.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63607)
Remember that all out hp is not the ultimate goal. Drivability and curve are more important to me then peak #'s.

Oh I understand. I'm not out for all the power I can get---as long as it feels better than stock (which the Bama tune already does) then it'll be fine.

I'm leaning toward GearHeads based solely on actually having been there before and the fact that they're primarily a Mustang shop. But TSM is #2 for the time being and I've never heard anything bad about them.

I'm waiting on an email back from Travis for one because I have no idea what they charge compared to TSM. I understand "It's a $30k car" and "You get what you pay for" but we also ALL know that $1 is $1 and every one of 'em adds up.

Soulowd 02-07-2014 01:04 AM

for a Naturally aspirated tune is 350$ and for turbo/supercharger tune its $400 @ GH

GTOphil 02-07-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63626)
for a Naturally aspirated tune is 350$ and for turbo/supercharger tune its $400 @ GH

Thanks! I'd assume since I'm close to stock (just an axle back- but it's the BEST one lol) that it wouldn't be too tough to get it done.

It's been since like '06-'07 that I've been to GH. A group of us with SRT4s went one time for some dynoing.

re-rx7 02-07-2014 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63628)
Thanks! I'd assume since I'm close to stock (just an axle back- but it's the BEST one lol) that it wouldn't be too tough to get it done.

It's been since like '06-'07 that I've been to GH. A group of us with SRT4s went one time for some dynoing.

If that's all you have done I'd stay with the bama and save yourself some cash.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63629)
If that's all you have done I'd stay with the bama and save yourself some cash.

I guess I can datalog and make sure it's safe? I haven't done that yet but my tuner is certainly capable of it.

I just want it to be safe.

Although...I have the PDF saved from Bama where they warranty engine problems relating to #8 problems for 3 years or 36k miles. I personally think if they're willing to do that it says a lot about the changes in 5.0 tuning since the Coyote first came out.

Anybody else agree with rx7 since I just have axle back?

****I want to be much faster, but I'm trying to save up $5k for a supercharger and get all my power at once rather than piecing it together like I've done with every other car I've had. It ain't easy, lol.

Dan12GT 02-07-2014 01:46 AM

If you aren't changing parameters around more inlet air or outlet exhaust a tune won't be as beneficial if you had a CAI / off-road pipe. I myself am holding out on a tune as well until I get something that really will add to the benefits of a tune. Right now I have a non-tuned edition Airaid intake and catback. Once I delete the cats the intake insert it coming out and a tune is going in.

Also data logging never hurt anything. Bama is generally very conservative with their tuning so you generally see the least gains from them as compared to other tuning options. Also some people have had problems with drive-ability.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 02:03 AM

So it sounds like I'm good as I sit, unless I just want some more power?

I've had ZERO drive-ability issues with Bama-it's perfect, but I still will datalog when it warms up just so they can look it over.

fordplay 02-07-2014 08:41 AM

Here I'm going to set up a locker with fire suits.. let me put mine on.... ok.. I have been more than happy with the guys at bama. I got scared during my first year with my bama tune buying into the hype and tried 3 other tunes.. After finding fault in those and having one tell me we won't change it, that's how we set them up. *click* I called bama . They listened and sent me new tunes then to ease my mind data logged them for free and explained to me what was going on.. they have a file they keep on you , they encourage you to get free tunes from time to time as they revise their base tunes. I recommend bama and brookspeed. I won't mention the other's. I haven't had a local dyno tune.. I'd like to. I'd actually like to have a tuning geek as a ride along to tune my car but $400 is a lot to fix something that is not broken..

DirtyD 02-07-2014 10:17 AM

Just a note on that Bama #8 warranty. It's kind of a crap shoot BS warranty. If your motor blows, then Bama requires you to take it to a Ford dealer, yes, A FORD DEALER!, for them to inspect the engine and determine cause of destruction. If Ford determines it wasn't the tune, then Bama doesn't cover the motor, and now Ford won't be covering the motor because of the fact the car was tuned.

TrueStreetTim 02-07-2014 11:57 AM

Give me a call at the shop if you'd like. Ask any questions and address any concerns you may have with tuning whether it be "mail order" or otherwise. My typical pitch: If you like what I have to say, great! If not...that's cool too!

re-rx7 02-07-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim (Post 63656)
Give me a call at the shop if you'd like. Ask any questions and address any concerns you may have with tuning whether it be "mail order" or otherwise. My typical pitch: If you like what I have to say, great! If not...that's cool too!

Tim would you say a Tune is needed with a O/R X or H? From what I've researched the COT protection only kicks in on decel? The worst I can see happening is you run a tad bit richer and a check engine light. SOme tunes like AED and such have specified they dont change anything just remove the Check Engine light? Input?

DirtyD 02-07-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63667)
Tim would you say a Tune is needed with a O/R X or H? From what I've researched the COT protection only kicks in on decel? The worst I can see happening is you run a tad bit richer and a check engine light. SOme tunes like AED and such have specified they dont change anything just remove the Check Engine light? Input?

You, you will need a tune when you delete the cats. If not, the car will run open loop and just dump fuel trying to cool the cats that aren't there anymore. You will run rich and get horrible gas mileage and a putrid smell.

re-rx7 02-07-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63669)
You, you will need a tune when you delete the cats. If not, the car will run open loop and just dump fuel trying to cool the cats that aren't there anymore. You will run rich and get horrible gas mileage and a putrid smell.

Your talking about COT protection. It only happens on Decel. Rear 02's do not control anything. they have a voltage reading of .1 to 1. The front Wideband 02's read .1 to 5 volts they would tell the ecu to run in open loop.

Courtesy Flush 02-07-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63670)
Your talking about COT protection. It only happens on Decel. Rear 02's do not control anything. they have a voltage reading of .1 to 1. The front Wideband 02's read .1 to 5 volts they would tell the ecu to run in open loop.

Im not speaking for the rest, but a good tune has more done than just turning off COTP & nannie lights on these cars with no cats. Thats just one part of it.

re-rx7 02-07-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 63671)
Im not speaking for the rest, but a good tune has more done than just turning off COTP & nannie lights on these cars with no cats. Thats just one part of it.

Thats why im asking Tim to chime in. I already have a tune. just needing to know if it needs another one. All your doing with the exhaust is increasing flow after the combustion process so the power gain comes form the flow not the actual tune.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 01:35 PM

So nobody else has an opinion about just staying with the Bama tune if I'm pretty much stock?

And D- if Ford determines that it's not the tune and the tune didn't cause it, then they can't void the warranty for having a tune if the tune didn't cause it.

I'm not worried about that- just saying.

Courtesy Flush 02-07-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63672)
Thats why im asking Tim to chime in. I already have a tune. just needing to know if it needs another one. All your doing with the exhaust is increasing flow after the combustion process so the power gain comes form the flow not the actual tune.

I understand. If you currently have cats with your tune and will be removing the cats, yes your tune needs to be updated.

Courtesy Flush 02-07-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63673)
So nobody else has an opinion about just staying with the Bama tune if I'm pretty much stock?

And D- if Ford determines that it's not the tune and the tune didn't cause it, then they can't void the warranty for having a tune if the tune didn't cause it.

If you're happy with the car and the way it runs, stick with your bama tune. Axelbacks do virtually nothing for performance enhancement, so your car is essentially stock with a tune. Switching to another tune is an option but not necessary.

If you just want more information about the status of how your car runs...datalog.datalog.

re-rx7 02-07-2014 01:57 PM

Agreed 100%.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush (Post 63676)
If you're happy with the car and the way it runs, stick with your bama tune. Axelbacks do virtually nothing for performance enhancement, so your car is essentially stock with a tune. Switching to another tune is an option but not necessary.

If you just want more information about the status of how your car runs...datalog.datalog.

Yep that's what I'm doing. I just got off the phone with Bama.

I'm going to see what they want done and send it to them- and then do it again when it's warm I guess. I'm not sure what differences a datalog at 30 degrees will have that may affect the tune at 100.

Yeah- I don't mind being stock with a tune for right now- it still doesn't "feel" slower than my GTO did with 430 (fat pig and top end cam). I'm saving for a s/c and doing all my power at once. :burnout:

DirtyD 02-07-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63673)

Sadly, they still will. A dealership won't be able to go as deep as Ford themselves will into determining the failure, but knowing that you've tuned the car, even if it didn't directly cause it, good luck trying to convince them otherwise.

DirtyD 02-07-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63680)
Yep that's what I'm doing. I just got off the phone with Bama.

I'm going to see what they want done and send it to them- and then do it again when it's warm I guess. I'm not sure what differences a datalog at 30 degrees will have that may affect the tune at 100.

Yeah- I don't mind being stock with a tune for right now- it still doesn't "feel" slower than my GTO did with 430 (fat pig and top end cam). I'm saving for a s/c and doing all my power at once. :burnout:

Car might add/pull a little timing, but not much.

Do you have an auto or manual?

GTOphil 02-07-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63683)
Sadly, they still will. A dealership won't be able to go as deep as Ford themselves will into determining the failure, but knowing that you've tuned the car, even if it didn't directly cause it, good luck trying to convince them otherwise.

Isn't the law that if they determine it wasn't the tune then they can't void the warranty for something they just said didn't cause it?

I don't see how that's right. Either way I don't have a warranty other than factory.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63684)
Car might add/pull a little timing, but not much.

Do you have an auto or manual?

A6.

Downloaded everything from SCT I need to datalog.

DirtyD 02-07-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63685)
Isn't the law that if they determine it wasn't the tune then they can't void the warranty for something they just said didn't cause it?

I don't see how that's right. Either way I don't have a warranty other than factory.

It's muddy water, really. There is a law the technically prevents it, but you would spend so much time and money between lawyers and court fees it's really not worth the hassle.

If you need any help datalogging, many of us here can help.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 04:05 PM

Well I've got the SCT iTsx device and I've got the cord and I've got the LiveLink from SCT downloaded on a laptop.

I just need to actually go do it I guess. I assume I just plug it in, plug it into the laptop and then save the datalog. I only wish the cord was longer...the cord we have that I "think" goes with is (it fits regardless) is kinda short.

Now I've just got to decide if I want to do it today (30 degrees) or wait until next week when it's slightly warmer. Any advice?

GTOphil 02-07-2014 04:07 PM

I'm still not sure about a custom tune. I want one and I hear good things about both places but TSM is quite a bit further for me than Arlington and it seems all of y'all are saying since I just have an axle-back, leave the Bama tune on.

DirtyD 02-07-2014 04:24 PM

I'd go out and do it tomorrow afternoon.

TrueStreetTim 02-07-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re-rx7 (Post 63667)

When you remove the cat's with no tune changes, it indeed becomes rich. But it actually over-richens itself so much so that it's a power losing state of richness. It exhibits that state under cruising, WOT the whole bit. Not just decel.

So, yes. If you delete cat's you'll need to make more changes to the computer than the car is able to handle on it's own or simply turning off a code.

OP; if you've already paid for a tune and need changes for O2's to be made etc. call SCT and have them make the changes and go from there until your ready for custom. Axle-backs need no changes as they are post O2 and you won't experience CEL's.

re-rx7 02-07-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim (Post 63699)
When you remove the cat's with no tune changes, it indeed becomes rich. But it actually over-richens itself so much so that it's a power losing state of richness. It exhibits that state under cruising, WOT the whole bit. Not just decel.

So, yes. If you delete cat's you'll need to make more changes to the computer than the car is able to handle on it's own or simply turning off a code.

Thanks for the input Tim.

GTOphil 02-07-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim (Post 63699)
OP; if you've already paid for a tune and need changes for O2's to be made etc. call SCT and have them make the changes and go from there until your ready for custom. Axle-backs need no changes as they are post O2 and you won't experiencce CEL's.

Thank you for the response. I had the axle back when I got the tune/tuner from American Muscle/Bama...so the tunes are the same and I don't need changes.

I guess I just kinda got spooked by some of the guys on here talking about #8 this and canned tunes that.

Having said that I DO realize a custom tune is best (had my GTO tuned for every little thing I changed) but since I'm so close to stock it seems as if everybody suggest Bama is fine for now.

The only reason I want to datalog is to ensure the tune is plenty safe- though they did say they made some changes to their tunes since last summer so I won't be opposed to extra power.

The two MAIN reasons for a custom tune would be to ensure safety and get more power if possible.

Soulowd 02-07-2014 10:16 PM

GTO just posted better Dyno results so you can read them better man:)

GTOphil 02-08-2014 02:13 AM

Thanks, I'm really thinking the Bama is ok but I'd like to be sure it's safe and if there's more power to be found I'm ok with that too.

So it's TSM or GH.

Do you guys have an kind of clue what a custom tune should look like on an "almost" stock car?

Remember...I have the girly transmission. (coming from a long line of manuals I freaking love it though)

downtime! 02-08-2014 11:13 AM

You actually have the strong transmission. The manuals are made of glass in these cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 63783)
Thanks, I'm really thinking the Bama is ok but I'd like to be sure it's safe and if there's more power to be found I'm ok with that too.

So it's TSM or GH.

Do you guys have an kind of clue what a custom tune should look like on an "almost" stock car?

Remember...I have the girly transmission. (coming from a long line of manuals I freaking love it though)