Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What should I do? K&N CAI vs. Stock Box & Others (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=2401)

Oxford14Stang 08-13-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 44595)
HPP most likely.

That's what I was thinking.

JDBishopArts 08-13-2013 04:29 PM

I'll add this too. Just because you're on the track doesn't mean you shift and put your foot through the floor and get mad because you spin. Even stock these cars put down 360-380hp to the ground. That isn't chump HP. On the street tires that come on these cars you can't stomp on it.

You have to feel your car. Learn to drive it. LEARN. Not watch fast and furious and think you're a racing god. Driving a car is easy. Driving it right takes work and practice.

thelandshark 08-13-2013 04:46 PM

^^ this guy lol. I got my driveing skills from grand theft auto 3

JDBishopArts 08-13-2013 05:09 PM

Annnnd boom goes the dynamite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...son/brian2.gif

JDMLOL 08-13-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBishopArts (Post 44619)
I'll add this too. Just because you're on the track doesn't mean you shift and put your foot through the floor and get mad because you spin. Even stock these cars put down 360-380hp to the ground. That isn't chump HP. On the street tires that come on these cars you can't stomp on it.

You have to feel your car. Learn to drive it. LEARN. Not watch fast and furious and think you're a racing god. Driving a car is easy. Driving it right takes work and practice.

This seems to be a pretty good discussion... I have only made two passes ever in an old c10 truck. I have to agree with JD these cars make quite a bit of power from the factory, especially for some kid that is 20 something (like me) that has really never had any racing experience on a track. Sure, some of you guys throw around 800-1000rwhp like it's nothing but most of the guys doing that have a few years on me. I'm not quite ready to track my car yet because I want to have a daily and be financially capable to make repairs once I start breaking stuff. I'm seriously considering buying something less powerful to track just to get a feel for it and get it down. I honestly think this car is too much for me to start off with. Some of you guys have been doing this since the late 70s and 80s when the exact same cars had less than half the power of what is available now. Would you all agree that it's better to start a little smaller for someone with less experience?

46Tbird 08-13-2013 06:00 PM

No. Put your panties on and don't fuck up.

JDMLOL 08-13-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 44631)
No. Put your panties on and don't fuck up.

And if I do I still owe 25k on a brand new car that's fucked? Lol. I answered my own question I guess.

Midnight11 08-13-2013 06:08 PM

The initial fear is gone the first pass down. I was there once

46Tbird 08-13-2013 06:13 PM

We all were.

But us old guys didn't have someone like Dale standing by the waterbox to catch whatever stupid shit we did on video. :D

Grandpa 08-13-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46Tbird (Post 44636)
We all were.

But us old guys didn't have someone like Dale standing by the waterbox to catch whatever stupid shit we did on video. :D

LOL, absolutely. We've all been there, all screwed up, some more than others.

I'll give you one of my good screw ups. First time ever lauching my coupe on the bottle and soft type drag racing suspension. It was a plate system on a carb'd set up so it pretty hard. I moved my seat up to make sure I got the clutch to the floor and almost no decline in the back of the seat so I was sitting pretty close to straight up to make sure I had a good hold on the shifter. Well when I launched the car, my head went backwards and it lifted the front of the car off the ground about 4-5 inches. Well, my helmet got stuck on the roof of the car when the car came down and I couldn't see so let out and headers hitting the ground made a LOUD ...CLANG! Ugh, thought I destroyed the car. lol.

Oxford14Stang 08-13-2013 08:07 PM

Damn Steve! Bishop downtime and I have got it figured out. Thnxs

garner 08-13-2013 11:31 PM

Yeah you get used to it eventually. My first pass was about 3 years ago in a 210 hp car but quickly got used to it, then it became addicting and I've drag raced since.

This car is gonna be a different experience though cause of the power and skinny tires, but after the first few passes it'll be fun again

downtime! 08-13-2013 11:56 PM

Well, ya'll may not believe this, but the car is back at Gearheads. They did all the work to it prior to the blower install, and with Travis' tune in it, I went 11.60's at 119 in 1900 DA. I've had issues with their tunes in the past, but only minor things. They tuned my Procharged '03 with good results, so I figured let's give them a chance. We're changing the plugs out (toss the Brisk and slip in some Motorcraft 524's), then they'll try to smooth out the tune. If that doesn't work, we'll be going with some ID1000's and ditching the FRPP 80's. I'm also going to have them install a catted X pipe and reinstall the clutch helper spring. Should have some info on the car by tomorrow, they were supposed to get it on the dyno today, but I was too busy to call.

Midnight11 08-14-2013 01:13 AM

i know alot of tuners have issues with the 80lb injectors...

downtime! 08-14-2013 07:24 AM

Yes they do. They have an odd spray pattern that seems to mess things up pretty good as far as street driving goes.