Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Getting mods Today! (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3573)

Grandpa 01-31-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63046)
I carry my 85# yellow lab with me in my car. Take out the front passenger seat for him to sit there....needless to say I have a date with a vacuum.

And a shitload of air fresheners..

Dan12GT 01-31-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63040)
You've gone and lost your mind..

Yep I have. Been up all night with a pregnant sick wife and burring my head in my Cisco books in the mean time. I am definitely not functioning right... lol

Dan12GT 01-31-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63049)

Ya I'm sure that smells lovely!

blownaltered 01-31-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63040)
You've gone and lost your mind..

I'd be crazy to daily my Stang with two little kids. The interior would be trashed from spills from "unspillable" sippy cups and cheerios all over the backseat. My 10th month old is still in a rear facing carseat so that shit wouldn't happen anyways. I've got my truck that they can trash. lol

I find all kinds of shit in the backseat of my truck. I don't remember them having some of the stuff I find. The kids love riding in the mustang but I don't allow food and drinks in it.

Grandpa 01-31-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63050)
Yep I have. Been up all night with a pregnant sick wife and burring my head in my Cisco books in the mean time. I am definitely not functioning right... lol

I feel for ya. Done that twice, it's an asswhippin for sure. Might as well get used to it the feeling of being tired now because it's going to be awhile before you sleep regularly again. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63051)
Ya I'm sure that smells lovely!

:lol:

DirtyD 01-31-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63049)

We ride with the windows down mostly, but even then, the car doesn't smell bad at all. My driver seat probably smells worse from the farts than the entire car smells. :lol:

Soulowd 01-31-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63059)
We ride with the windows down mostly, but even then, the car doesn't smell bad at all. My driver seat probably smells worse from the farts than the entire car smells. :lol:

lol I here that. Leather gives a nice echo when I crank A$$ in mine! :)

KurvStr8nr 01-31-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63042)
I'd be crazy to daily my Stang with two little kids. The interior would be trashed from spills from "unspillable" sippy cups and cheerios all over the backseat. My 10th month old is still in a rear facing carseat so that shit wouldn't happen anyways. I've got my truck that they can trash. lol

lol Amen to that I got a 7 year old daughter who leaves glitter and hello kitty $hit everywhere and thats why my Daily is a Camry.[/QUOTE]

:party52:
LOL - glad my kids are past that stage (16 & 18 now) the Odyssey and Accord aren't in bad shape, but you can tell kids rode in them - Ha!

GTOphil 02-01-2014 06:58 PM

I don't let my kids eat or drink in my car....except ONCE last year. We went to St. Louis and it's just too far to not let kids have anything. I could have stopped and eaten while we were driving but I don't travel like that- we're only stopping for gas...you better do what you gotta do while I'm stopped.

The wife's truck is where my little trolls live and eat... (8 and almost 7)

garner 02-02-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 62976)
Talked with Tim at TS and he said he felt like that was low for a manual 5.0 and those mods. He came up with a few reasons like fuel, I am on 87 octane and he gets the feeling im on a shitty basic tune from SCT on 87 octane...Any ways I am scheduling appt to get in soon for Dyno tune to get it maximized to its full potential.

Hmmm going off that I'd guess I'm probably 370ish with an auto on the same dyno, not bad. Fast enough for me

Soulowd 02-04-2014 11:58 PM

Super stoked! Tomorrow is the day I take the 11' to TS to get this $hit ironed out and see what I'm really looking at HP/TQ wise. Will post the new dyno results late tomorrow

Soulowd 02-06-2014 12:36 AM

alright not the news i was hoping for. Went to TS tonight and they started to dyno it and stopped all the sudden. The owner came out and said my air/fuel was waaaayyyy off and 9/10 times this means that cylinder # 8 is about to blow. They said it wasnt there yet but it was a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. I have owned the car for about a month and bought it w/ 14k on 2011. Pisses me off. I am prob just gonna take it back to ford and trade it in on a new one and let them deal with it. What a kick to the Ball$.

re-rx7 02-06-2014 01:03 AM

I don't understand how your afr being lean would mean your engine is about to blow? Maybe Tim can chime in with details.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 01:26 AM

Yeah not sure... they explained it but I would just get it screwed up. But they said the a/f ratio was like 3 whole point off the norm. Said they really didn't want to push it. They were stand up guys and gave me my $$ back. I would go get a compression test to see what's up but I'm just kind of like F&ck it. If its bad enough for them to not want to risk it something gotta be wrong.

garner 02-06-2014 01:29 AM

That may also explain the low power numbers I would think. Hopefully you can get it all sorted out

Soulowd 02-06-2014 01:30 AM

Yeah that's what I'm thinking garner

re-rx7 02-06-2014 01:36 AM

If the af was off why would they just not adjust it? Weird

Crimson600+HP 02-06-2014 08:45 AM

A/F ratios being off is a tuner issue. If the tune was ran too long with A/F's off, then that could cause the #8 to fail. If the mechanic was truly scared about an A/F problem, he should immediately to a compression check of the cylinder. This will tell you if it has failed or is about to fail. If the PCM has been flashed, you are going to have a rough time at various Ford dealerships getting it covered under any type of warranty, if one still exists on your 2011. Sorry to hear this is happening. I know first hand.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP (Post 63501)
A/F ratios being off is a tuner issue. If the tune was ran too long with A/F's off, then that could cause the #8 to fail. If the mechanic was truly scared about an A/F problem, he should immediately to a compression check of the cylinder. This will tell you if it has failed or is about to fail. If the PCM has been flashed, you are going to have a rough time at various Ford dealerships getting it covered under any type of warranty, if one still exists on your 2011. Sorry to hear this is happening. I know first hand.

Yeah they said if I wanted to continue that would be their next move but couldnt do it last night. They know that I am a wholesale dealer in the auto industry and thats why they pretty much were saying trade it in (after putting it back to stock) or sell it at the auction. Because I know first the cylinder has to blow up before ford will even consider it and they all but hire a Private Investigator to go through the car with a fine tooth comb. Not worth it. I most likely am going to return it to stock and go get a 14'

DirtyD 02-06-2014 10:33 AM

What tune were you running again, prior to this appt with TS?

Soulowd 02-06-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63505)
What tune were you running again, prior to this appt with TS?

Just the sct basic tune.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 10:43 AM

Also if you look at my dyno I posted originally from gearheads the graph is set on max(5) for smoothing out the lines and they are really rough in the higher RPM's thats not norm...Sux that GH doesnt give you the A/F ratio but I know some ppl doing the dyno dont always do AF on the charts. Just sux cause maybe I could have gotten a heads up sooner but it is what it is.

DirtyD 02-06-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63507)
Just the sct basic tune.

You were running a canned SCT tune with LTs and an O/R X pipe?

There is your problem. That canned SCT tune isn't meant for much more than a CAI to be run on. You should've gotten a custom tune as soon as you put that X pipe on.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63510)
You were running a canned SCT tune with LTs and an O/R X pipe?

There is your problem. That canned SCT tune isn't meant for much more than a CAI to be run on. You should've gotten a custom tune as soon as you put that X pipe on.

Man you think GH would have said that when they did the work for me??? So am i really a ticking time bomb at this point?

Crimson600+HP 02-06-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63504)
Yeah they said if I wanted to continue that would be their next move but couldnt do it last night. They know that I am a wholesale dealer in the auto industry and thats why they pretty much were saying trade it in (after putting it back to stock) or sell it at the auction. Because I know first the cylinder has to blow up before ford will even consider it and they all but hire a Private Investigator to go through the car with a fine tooth comb. Not worth it. I most likely am going to return it to stock and go get a 14'

Man that sucks, probably best off to get rid of it while you can. That is what I would have done to mine if I could have known it was happening. But mine was a sudden failure vs. one that takes time like the traditional #8 issue. Good luck with getting this resolved.

But for that converstation about buying used vs. new, this is the exact reason why I buy new.

DirtyD 02-06-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63513)
Man you think GH would have said that when they did the work for me??? So am i really a ticking time bomb at this point?

Probably so.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 11:39 AM

$hit guys...oh well life happens sometimes. now I have to decide what color I want in the new one lol. so the 13-14's dont seem to have this cylinder 8 failure BS???

DirtyD 02-06-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63519)
$hit guys...oh well life happens sometimes. now I have to decide what color I want in the new one lol. so the 13-14's dont seem to have this cylinder 8 failure BS???

It's not an issue with #8, per say. Get a tune from a legitimate tuner, a custom tune, that has been datalogged to ensure accuracy, and you won't have problems.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63520)
It's not an issue with #8, per say. Get a tune from a legitimate tuner, a custom tune, that has been datalogged to ensure accuracy, and you won't have problems.

Sean said last night it wasnt the SCT tune because I asked him specifically was it me putting on the tune? and he said no. Acted like it was more of a manufacture defect that tended to happen on 2011-2012's at random.

zsommer79 02-06-2014 11:48 AM

I know it's buyer beware but i personally wouldn't be on a forum talking about trading a car in that you know has issues that were caused by modding it.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 11:51 AM

I have worked in the car biz for 10 years and watched as they laughed while screwing ppl out of ridiculous amounts of money. So I wont lose any sleep over trading a car in that may/may not have an issue.

DirtyD 02-06-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63521)
Sean said last night it wasnt the SCT tune because I asked him specifically was it me putting on the tune? and he said no. Acted like it was more of a manufacture defect that tended to happen on 2011-2012's at random.

Number #8 comes down to being a combination issue with the tune and a design flaw by Ford. If the car is running too lean, it causes #8 to get hot and pop. So yes, it could be the tune. However, if your car is an early 2011, those were seem to have been more prone to having #8 happen prematurely, from what I remember.

zsommer79 02-06-2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63523)
I have worked in the car biz for 10 years and watched as they laughed while screwing ppl out of ridiculous amounts of money. So I wont lose any sleep over trading a car in that may/may not have an issue.

Gottcha, it's standard practice to screw people in the car biz so it makes it ok.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 12:10 PM

I just got off the phone with Travis from GH and he wants to look at it. He said he would be extremely surprised if it was hurt. He wants to do a leak down test and see whats throwing the AF off. will let you know ppl.

Crimson600+HP 02-06-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63524)
Number #8 comes down to being a combination issue with the tune and a design flaw by Ford. If the car is running too lean, it causes #8 to get hot and pop. So yes, it could be the tune. However, if your car is an early 2011, those were seem to have been more prone to having #8 happen prematurely, from what I remember.

Truth in the sense of a tune running too lean. But this is happening to some cars that have not been modified or tuned at all (especially in the '11-'12 models). It simply comes down to a design flaw. The number 8 cylinder is the first to fire and runs the hottest no matter if you are stock, FI, or nitrous. The placement and design of the stock rings are not well suited for this increased heat which cause some to fail (most likely tolerances and differences in the manufacturing process). Once you add increased HP or a lean tune, it accellerated the process.

I imagine over time, we will see more rings melt due to normal use.

All I say is at least you didn't blow a chunk out of your piston. Good luck.

re-rx7 02-06-2014 01:41 PM

#8 fails because of the coolant flow being restricted. Yes it runs hotter but the coolant getting stuck their does it in. Trading your car in and making it someone else's problem is pretty fucked. The dealer isn't gonna fix it and whoever buys that car is gonna get shafted. Says alot about you.

Also a re-tune is needed for cat deletes unless the check engine light annoys you. The cot only happens on decel.

DirtyD 02-06-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63526)
I just got off the phone with Travis from GH and he wants to look at it. He said he would be extremely surprised if it was hurt. He wants to do a leak down test and see whats throwing the AF off. will let you know ppl.

Glad Travis is going to take care of you and check it out.

Soulowd 02-06-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyD (Post 63540)
Glad Travis is going to take care of you and check it out.

Yeah Travis has it now. He wouldnt let me return it to stock until he does a leak down test on it. Which is prob best. Keep your fingers crossed and hope he gives me good news.

GTOphil 02-06-2014 03:34 PM

From all I've read (and I'm no expert just spent a lot of time reading) most of the issues with #8 were traced back to two things:

1. Tuners in the very beginning not knowing what they were doing and changing the pcm to cause lean conditions and altering knock sensors.
2. A bad batch of PCMs seemingly put on cars that were built in the middle of 2011. I believe the particular pcm code was: ZFK0

Soulowd 02-06-2014 04:37 PM

Im sure after today Travis will tell me there is a pcm code showing : FUK'D lol