Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Shaun@ AED explains #8 failures. (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=528)

5PointSlow 10-15-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight11 (Post 7715)
ok thats cool i do want to install some "cams" lol

heres my youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/2009YFZR?feature=mhee

have a couple cam tune vids on there with LT's. I think i have one with just the X pipe on lol

DirtyD 10-15-2012 11:24 PM

IIRC, you get 3 tunes for the $200, eco, performance, and I think drag. I think it works by substitution for the idle lope tune by adding on an extra $50 to make it your third tune.

downtime! 10-15-2012 11:37 PM

Mine m has been tuned since shortly after I bought her, both with a canned tune from VMP and a dyno tune from Gearheads. I've made a hundred or so passes with her, and no telling how many "Mexico" runs, with no issues whatsoever. I see the stories about the number 8 failures and have to wonder how inept the person doing the tuning is.

Grandpa 10-15-2012 11:38 PM

I understand why some want the lope tune because it sounds cool, but it's not worth the long term damage is does and the drivability issues that come along with it.

5PointSlow 10-15-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7721)
I understand why some want the lope tune because it sounds cool, but it's not worth the long term damage is does and the drivability issues that come along with it.

There is no long term damage except to the cats. That's why tuners recommend off road mid pipes. Shaun said my high flows would last maybe 40k miles if I ran the tune everyday, but it's just a novelty. The lope tune is the same as the boss track key.

Grandpa 10-15-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5PointSlow (Post 7725)
There is no long term damage except to the cats. That's why tuners recommend off road mid pipes. Shaun said my high flows would last maybe 40k miles if I ran the tune everyday, but it's just a novelty. The lope tune is the same as the boss track key.

That's not entirely true. There is definetely some cylinder wash going on with the large amounts of unburned fuel. Any car that runs these tunes you can smell it, it's horrible. I also suspect there will be some long term valve spring damage as well.

BLK2012GT 10-16-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7721)

My lope tune here soon won't have any long term damages.:win:

Grandpa 10-16-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 7729)
My lope tune here soon won't have any long term damages.:win:

Very true providing the proper springs are being used. I'm wondering how they are going to work with the variable timing in these cars. Should be interesting to see how it comes together.

BLK2012GT 10-16-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7731)
Very true providing the proper springs are being used. I'm wondering how they are going to work with the variable timing in these cars. Should be interesting to see how it comes together.

Ask Tim or Clint about that.

StormTrooper 10-16-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight11 (Post 7707)
just wondering but explain how a tuner here cant do idle and part throttle and one of those guys complains about mpg haha

lol my mpg is better now that I disconnected the battery (i didn't do that when i went from the cam to the performance tune), but yes before that it was crappy and lunds was very crappy 13.4 average mpg. out of AED's tune and Lund, I would have to say so far I like AED's better :)

Grandpa 10-16-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 7735)
Ask Tim or Clint about that.

LOL, didn't you research any of this stuff or you just writing a check like Ricky Bobby saying " I wanna go fast!" :win:

BLK2012GT 10-16-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7737)
LOL, didn't you research any of this stuff or you just writing a check like Ricky Bobby saying " I wanna go fast!" :win:

Pretty much the Ricky Bobby shit. LOL. No we talked about it but I'm a little drunk to remember exactly what they said. Tonight was bowling night. And we went out for Tam Wasson's B-day.

Grandpa 10-16-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT (Post 7739)
Pretty much the Ricky Bobby shit. LOL. No we talked about it but I'm a little drunk to remember exactly what they said. Tonight was bowling night. And we went out for Tam Wasson's B-day.

Ahhh.Tam should be about ready for the seniors tour cleaning up the easy money. lol

When is the car going into the shop?

BLK2012GT 10-16-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 7742)
Ahhh.Tam should be about ready for the seniors tour cleaning up the easy money. lol

When is the car going into the shop?

Friday morning. Hopefully they will be done with that fake 5.0 which is really a v-6 with fake cams that he is putting a D-1 on. If they get done with his car soon enough they will start on mine Friday.

And yes Tam is cleaning up in SASBA.

OG Fox 10-16-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight11 (Post 7707)
just wondering but explain how a tuner here cant do idle and part throttle and one of those guys complains about mpg haha

Shaun@AED only tunes 5.0 and from what I read is the expert in doing so. A dyno tune is also great, and I know that True Street is the best in town. However, I would like to know what is more accurate when tuning, datalogging from the car's computer or using a sniffer out the tailpipe for afr?