Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club

Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club (http://www.dfw50s.com/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.dfw50s.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Getting mods Today! (http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3573)

Grandpa 01-31-2014 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 62951)
Who owns TrueStreet?

I have a friend who owns a performance shop in DFW but I don't know ANYTHING about his Ford guy.

What can y'all say about TS? I want a custom tune. (Bama right now)

Clint and Sean own TrueStreet Motorsports. I have known them both for many years and both are truly stand up guys and most importantly they are hot rod guys themselves who understand how important cars are to their customers. Being car guys themselves, they get it. They understand what we are all looking for when it comes to performance AND customer service. Most shops you only get one or the other to where at TS they go out of their way to provide both cuz they have been there themselves in previous years getting the same run around and frustration we have all dealt with at one time or another.

My car was tuned by TS and it runs flawlessly. With only a H pipe and a tune my car made 419/400 and not a single problem with it.

This subject of email tunes vs dyno tunes has been covered many times. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. The problem I have have with email/remote tunes is the risk you are taking doing unmonitored pulls that could cause damage before the final tune. In addition to that, with email/remote tunes from big tuners like Lund/AED/BBR etc, is that they are so busy they are now farming out their tunes to other people and God only knows who your car is really being tuned by.

With an in house tune, it's being done live on the spot and being monitored live on the dyno as the pulls are happening where damage can be prevented.

GTOphil 01-31-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62966)
Clint and Sean own TrueStreet Motorsports. I have known them both for many years and both are truly stand up guys and most importantly they are hot rod guys themselves who understand how important cars are to their customers. Being car guys themselves, they get it. They understand what we are all looking for when it comes to performance AND customer service. Most shops you only get one or the other to where at TS they go out of their way to provide both cuz they have been there themselves in previous years getting the same run around and frustration we have all dealt with at one time or another.

My car was tuned by TS and it runs flawlessly. With only a H pipe and a tune my car made 419/400 and not a single problem with it.

This subject of email tunes vs dyno tunes has been covered many times. In my opinion, you get what you pay for. The problem I have have with email/remote tunes is the risk you are taking doing unmonitored pulls that could cause damage before the final tune. In addition to that, with email/remote tunes from big tuners like Lund/AED/BBR etc, is that they are so busy they are now farming out their tunes to other people and God only knows who your car is really being tuned by.

With an in house tune, it's being done live on the spot and being monitored live on the dyno as the pulls are happening where damage can be prevented.

Oh I agree, I completely understand the email vs dyno tune. My previous car was dyno-tuned multiple times at another performance shop in DFW. The owner is a friend of mine and I'm sure he wouldn't love me going to somebody else...but they seem to cater more to LS and Mopars. The guy that does their LS tuning doesn't do their Ford tuning.

That's why I was asking about TS because I've heard good things about their Ford work. I will be getting a custom tune this year; I've just got a Bama tune for the time being. I'm stock (axle back) so I assume it's safe- although I know it's conservative.

Thanks.

re-rx7 01-31-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downtime! (Post 62943)
The CAI will be worth, at the most, 7-8hp, the gains come mainly from the tune. The long tubes were worth 15 on mine, and I regretted deleting the cats almost instantly. Since my car was brand new when we started, I had a two year inspection sticker, but after that ran out, it was a major PITA to get the car inspected. Even after replacing the cats, the car was nowhere near passing, so in the end, I did what I usually do in these situations, threw cash at it. The factory headers and cats are amazingly efficient, as is the factory air box. Bone stock, with just a tune from VMP, I ran 12 flats at 116. Mid 11's are obtainable through nothing more than a tune and suspension work, and looking back, I wish I would never had the long tubes installed.

Great post as Ive really been considering HF H instead of a O/R H. Was the smell bad or was it just the fact of noise or Inspection?

Soulowd 01-31-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62966)

Agreed! I have a tune from BBR but i chose not to use it because i would rather have it done live dyno catering to my car in front of my own eyes. Good Post.

Soulowd 01-31-2014 12:52 PM

Talked with Tim at TS and he said he felt like that was low for a manual 5.0 and those mods. He came up with a few reasons like fuel, I am on 87 octane and he gets the feeling im on a shitty basic tune from SCT on 87 octane...Any ways I am scheduling appt to get in soon for Dyno tune to get it maximized to its full potential.

Dominic Toretto 01-31-2014 12:59 PM

Is a dyno tune going to be as good as a street tune then?

-Alex

Dominic Toretto 01-31-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 62976)
Talked with Tim at TS and he said he felt like that was low for a manual 5.0 and those mods. He came up with a few reasons like fuel, I am on 87 octane and he gets the feeling im on a shitty basic tune from SCT on 87 octane...Any ways I am scheduling appt to get in soon for Dyno tune to get it maximized to its full potential.

Why are you using 87 octane?

-Alex

re-rx7 01-31-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62978)
Is a dyno tune going to be as good as a street tune then?

-Alex

I prefer street tune but thats just me.

GTOphil 01-31-2014 01:14 PM

I personally prefer a dyno tune. A street tune *might* make you more power but I'm always concerned about the tune set up with the temperature that day and hoping it'll adjust appropriately when the weather changes.

I also prefer a dyno tune because they're usually coming from a "shop" and not some guy who might or might not stand behind his work or be available if there are issues.

Are there good street tuning guys? Yep. Are there horrible ones? Oh yeah.

Grandpa 01-31-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 62976)
I am on 87 octane and he gets the feeling im on a shitty basic tune from SCT on 87 octane...Any ways I am scheduling appt to get in soon for Dyno tune to get it maximized to its full potential.

You will be much happier with a proper dyno tune and using the fuel the car was designed for in the first place.

Soulowd 01-31-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62979)
Why are you using 87 octane?

-Alex

I rarely drive the car and 87 was in it when I had the mods done so now I will only use 93.

Soulowd 01-31-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62988)
You will be much happier with a proper dyno tune and using the fuel the car was designed for in the first place.

agreed.

BERT 01-31-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62988)

The car is designed to use whatever gas you put into it. Nothing says it needs to be 93.

edit: to clarify, I'm talking stock. Don't want to get you going on one of you little rants, Steve

Dominic Toretto 01-31-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTOphil (Post 62985)
...but I'm always concerned about the tune set up with the temperature that day and hoping it'll adjust appropriately when the weather changes.

Don't you have to worry about that with any tune at all including the factory tune? I don't know much on the subject but, would assume any tune would take into account varying weather conditions. Stock, the cars come from Detroit and we have very different weather in Texas.

-Alex

re-rx7 01-31-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto (Post 62995)
Don't you have to worry about that with any tune at all including the factory tune? I don't know much on the subject but, would assume any tune would take into account varying weather conditions. Stock, the cars come from Detroit and we have very different weather in Texas.

-Alex

this.

Grandpa 01-31-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 62994)
The car is designed to use whatever gas you put into it. Nothing says it needs to be 93.

edit: to clarify, I'm talking stock. Don't want to get you going on one of you little rants, Steve

:snoopfacepalm::lol2:

BERT 01-31-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62997)
:snoopfacepalm::lol2:

You know I'm right

Grandpa 01-31-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 62998)
You know I'm right

Nope and I'm not taking the bait. lol

BERT 01-31-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 62999)
Nope and I'm not taking the bait. If you're looking for Friday drama you can go hang out with the cool kids. lol

I'm talking about coming from the factory stock.

There are cool kids on here?

Soulowd 01-31-2014 01:39 PM

Alright its official I have an appt for Wednesday @ TS. Man you guys will have to bare with me on all this tuner $hit. I have been doing fox body stangs since i was 16 which was 17 years ago and its kinda new to me. Whatever happened to bolt it on and drive it days lol...Anyways Ill get it down just need a lil help. Thanks for all suggestions though helps a lot.

BERT 01-31-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63001)
Alright its official I have an appt for Wednesday @ TS. Man you guys will have to bare with me on all this tuner $hit. I have been doing fox body stangs since i was 16 which was 17 years ago and its kinda new to me. Whatever happened to bolt it on and drive it days lol...Anyways Ill get it down just need a lil help. Thanks for all suggestions though helps a lot.

I'm in the same boat as you. That's the only thing I really don't like about technology, any little thing you do you have to get it tuned

GTOphil 01-31-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 63003)
I'm in the same boat as you. That's the only thing I really don't like about technology, any little thing you do you have to get it tuned

Not all tuners that'll do it on the street have/use info to get all the real time information of the car.

I'm just saying I've had bad experiences with street vs dyno tunes.

Grandpa 01-31-2014 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 63000)
I'm talking about coming from the factory stock.

So you don't think the factory knock sensors compensate for it by reducing timing?

BERT 01-31-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63005)
So you don't think the factory knock sensors compensate for it by reducing timing?

Yes, which allows you to run 87. Hell, the manual says to run 87

Grandpa 01-31-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 63006)
Yes, which allows you to run 87. Hell, the manual says to run 87

Perhaps I should have clarified my statement a bit further by adding in for "optimal performance". I didn't buy a sports car to reduce its performance level, but that is just me. Carry on.

re-rx7 01-31-2014 02:13 PM

Ecoboost says the samething in manual.

Dan12GT 01-31-2014 02:22 PM

You could always take it else where to get an average with the dyno numbers. Mine bone stock with absolutely nothing on it made 382/360 at HPP and then after Airaid CAI and catback im sitting at consistant 382/385 read from TS's dyno twice at the 2nd numbers.

re-rx7 01-31-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63014)
You could always take it else where to get an average with the dyno numbers. Mine bone stock with absolutely nothing on it made 382/360 at HPP and then after Airaid CAI and catback im sitting at consistant 382/385 read from TS's dyno twice at the 2nd numbers.

Car sounded good. I was behind you leaving the meet.

Dan12GT 01-31-2014 02:41 PM

Thanks bud! I like yours too! 11-12 models FTW!

re-rx7 01-31-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63020)
11-12 models FTW!

For sure!! You mean Dark ponys car lolololo

Soulowd 01-31-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63014)

Thats interesting Dan. However those wheels look so good man your at 400hp in my mind just as a selection bonus lol

Dan12GT 01-31-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63024)
Thats interesting Dan. However those wheels look so good man your at 400hp in my mind just as a selection bonus lol

Lol well thank you Steve! I thought you hated black wheels especially all black wheels like mine. :)

Soulowd 01-31-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63025)
Lol well thank you Steve! I thought you hated black wheels especially all black wheels like mine. :)

I have been called a lot of things but never Steve lol

BERT 01-31-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63008)
Perhaps I should have clarified my statement a bit further by adding in for "optimal performance". I didn't buy a sports car to reduce its performance level, but that is just me. Carry on.

LOL, yes you should have. I don't race mine every time I drive it. Unlike you, I drive mine every day :D

So I guess I don't really need the extra 10hp that 93 gives me. I know I know, a few cents doesn't really matter but in my head it helps out. I'M POOR!!!!!! Haha

Dan12GT 01-31-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soulowd (Post 63026)
I have been called a lot of things but never Steve lol

LMAO! Sorry bud I was on my phone when I saw the message and I thought you were Steve based on your Avatar pic.

Thanks though!

Soulowd 01-31-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63035)
LMAO! Sorry bud I was on my phone when I saw the message and I thought you were Steve based on your Avatar pic.

Thanks though!

all good. guess i need to think of something more original for avatar lol....hmmmm I'll figure it out:)

Grandpa 01-31-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan12GT (Post 63025)

You've gone and lost your mind..

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERT (Post 63030)
LOL, yes you should have. I don't race mine every time I drive it. Unlike you, I drive mine every day :D

So I guess I don't really need the extra 10hp that 93 gives me. I know I know, a few cents doesn't really matter but in my head it helps out. I'M POOR!!!!!! Haha

I'd be crazy to daily my Stang with two little kids. The interior would be trashed from spills from "unspillable" sippy cups and cheerios all over the backseat. My 10th month old is still in a rear facing carseat so that shit wouldn't happen anyways. I've got my truck that they can trash. lol

Soulowd 01-31-2014 05:12 PM

I'd be crazy to daily my Stang with two little kids. The interior would be trashed from spills from "unspillable" sippy cups and cheerios all over the backseat. My 10th month old is still in a rear facing carseat so that shit wouldn't happen anyways. I've got my truck that they can trash. lol[/QUOTE]

lol Amen to that I got a 7 year old daughter who leaves glitter and hello kitty $hit everywhere and thats why my Daily is a Camry.

BERT 01-31-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT (Post 63040)
You've gone and lost your mind..

I'd be crazy to daily my Stang with two little kids. The interior would be trashed from spills from "unspillable" sippy cups and cheerios all over the backseat. My 10th month old is still in a rear facing carseat so that shit wouldn't happen anyways. I've got my truck that they can trash. lol

LMAO, that's understandable. I'm single and have only used the backseat once. I love my car as a daily. Enjoy driving it every day.

DirtyD 01-31-2014 05:31 PM

I carry my 85# yellow lab with me in my car. Take out the front passenger seat for him to sit there....needless to say I have a date with a vacuum.