PDA

View Full Version : Water coming out of catch can?

Slow6
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Ok so Ive been having issues with the new engine with a cylinder three misfire code. Well yesterday I popped the hood and decided to drain the oil catch can on the passanger side valve cover to see how much oil was being pulled out of the crankcase. I dropped the lever and was very surprised at what I saw. In 2k miles I had about a cup of water with a yellow film come out and it smelled like oil and gas. I havent been watching the coolant level since the engine was reinstalled but was wondering what could have caused this? Head gasket leaking? If its being caught in the catch can does that mean theres water in the oil pan and the water vapor is being pulled up into the catch can and water being pushed into the bearings?

Just curious if this could be causing my misfire or hurting my new engine.

unreal
01-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Condensation?

Slow6
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM
How would it be condensation in a sealed engine?

Toby
01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Its condensation, i am yet to see an engine that when torn into, does not have a hint of condensation on the valve covers. Your engine is not 100% sealed. There has to be a way for crank pressure to get out. E85 cars are terrible about this!

Slow6
01-14-2013, 04:54 PM
The only way for crank pressure to get out is through the PCV system and that has the catch can on it. the driver side has the turbo oil return on it so that one is blocked and the passanger side is the catchcan. The catch can is between the valve cover and the turbo so it only pulls pressure from the crankcase not push air into it. So somehow its pulling alot of water vapor from the crankcase that shouldnt be there. Right? The only place water can come from and get inrto the crankcase is the cylinders. So thats either very wet air/ 100% humidity in the air charge of head gasket. Im just thinking outloud here trying t work through this. I guess we'll find out more when we drain the oil next Tuesday and see what it looks like.

And Im not running E85 yet on this engine.

Toby
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
Anytime hot air and cooler air meet up, you get water condensation. Its worse in tx with the humidity level we have here. I wouldn't worry about it. Ill check it more in depth when you get it back to us.

Slow6
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a plan. Thanks

Emwun Garand
01-15-2013, 10:59 PM
I drain mine every other time I drive the car and there's always 2 or 3 tablespoons of water/ethanol mixture in it.

46Tbird
01-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Did you say, a cup of water?

http://thecookinggeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/1-cup-water.jpg

Slow6
01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes a Cup of water. That seems alot more than just condensation but it did not smell like coolant. Maybe with all the weather changes weve had over the last month its just sweating alot i9nternally. Idk.