PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

Dark Pony
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I changed my oil for the first time over the weekend. In all of my other mustangs, I ran Royal Purple and a Wix filter. Needless to say, I did the same this time. Yesterday and continuing on in to today, I've noticed a tick from the motor. I called Ford, and talked to a service rep...he explained to me that other oil is ok, but make sure to ALWAYS use a Motorcraft filter. Something about the filter returns oil better?? And at least in the 5.4, has caused a tick. I was just curious if anyone else has ran into this.

DirtyD
01-08-2013, 03:33 PM
These cars are known the develop a tick after the first oil change. Mine went away after 1000 miles or so. Nothing to really be all alarmed about.

I'm due for another oil change, so I'm curious to see if the car will do it again.

TrueStreetTim
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Ford recommended weight will work no matter the brand.

Motorcraft filters (500S in the 5.0's case) have an anti-drain back valve. This keeps oil in the galley/passages when the motor is off rather than draining back into the pan.

Dark Pony
01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Good to know. I was freaking out...I decided I'm just going to go back to the Motorcraft oil and filter.

blownaltered
01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Yeah a buddy of mine owns a shop and always puts motor raft filter in fords for that reason

Toby
01-08-2013, 11:04 PM
I run a motorcraft filter on every vehicle i own. They are hands down the best filter you can buy. Oil can be debated all day, I am a mobil 1 fan for synthetic and motorcraft otherwise.