PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

l3g1t
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Okay, I've searched, I've youtube'd, listened to American Muscle and I'm still so lost. I want an exhaust that has a deep and noticeable tone at idle and of course WOT. I like the Flowmaster outlaws for axle back but after that I'm lost... not even sure those are what I want because youtube is deceptive. Can anyone steer me to the info/links/maybe even meet up some time to hear a setup? Also one big issue is I would really like to be able to pass inspection even if I have to unbolt and rebolt something each year. Thanks for any help

DirtyD
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
I still like the Borla S Type exhaust. The Attack series is much louder, but more drone.

I love my GT500s. I listened to Midnight's car tonight with GT500s and a O/R H pipe, and I am sold.

Don't worry about inspection. Unless the place puts your car on a lift, or you aren't lowered, the won't bother checking underneath to look for cats.

l3g1t
01-07-2013, 11:30 PM
I am not sure I've ever heard what drone sounds like, also I'm not lowered yet but will be.

03MachMe
01-07-2013, 11:36 PM
I have had GT500s, outlaws, and now have Roush. If you plan on changing the midpipe soon the GT500s are the best one out there in my opinion. If you plan on keeping stock midpipe for a while ( like I am) the Roush ab to me has the perfect match of volume and tone. The outlaws were amazing when driving around town but would drone like a mofo on the hwy. If you want to hear the roush in person let me know

DirtyD
01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Drone is that steady "hum" your exhaust has when kept at typical highway RPM. Much like the hum or drone a big motor or generator might have.

jayman33
01-07-2013, 11:56 PM
What is your price limit? Take a look at the MRT interceptor at MRT-direct.com. I wasn't going to grab some to stock but after hearing their SEMA predator car and seeing the quality I had to grab some.

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Maybe a little out of my budget on the H pipe I want but I love the Race H pipe with the KR axle back set up.... if something sounded remotely like that but a bit easier on the wallet I'd probably want it. Not really sure what a good budget would be for exhuast though maybe I was setting it too low

merlinmol
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
the MBRP exhaust on my car is sick, it's prolly a little too loud if your car is your daily driver.

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 12:35 AM
It's not, its a weekend fun car that honestly I may want to be TOO loud because I want people looking while I idle lol

merlinmol
01-08-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't have a clip of the exhaust, but it is loud and sounds amazing. Where in DFW are you located?

jayman33
01-08-2013, 01:12 AM
MBRP race cat-back? I have a customer with it on his 2012, its mean!

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 01:14 AM
My best advice would be make it out to a meet some time and listen to all the cars to see what you like. This is one of those questions that are completely subjective to individual taste. To add to that, even listening to exhaust clips online doesn't give you the real sound what that combo will sound like because you lose some of the audio integrity through your computer speakers. You can ask this question of a bunch of different people and you will always get different opinions.

pohnjarker
01-08-2013, 04:35 AM
i agree, listening to exhausts online is terrible.

going to a meet would be your best bet to hear the different combos in action.

when i had cat deletes and muffler deletes, it was loud as shit...but had an annoying "blatty" sound, thats all i can say about it, but with just muffler deletes, much better.

i'll be going gt500s when i get home, i want more of a sleeper thing until i get on it! maybe throw an offroad H on it later, we'll see.

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I'd love to come to a meet... All you Dallas county people keep them so far away lol. If I get dates I will probably start showing up.

Merlin, I live in Midlothian but if you wanted I could meet just about anywhere.

merlinmol
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
MBRP race cat-back? I have a customer with it on his 2012, its mean!

Yup, I have the catted race, but most peeps think its not catted haha.

I'd love to come to a meet... All you Dallas county people keep them so far away lol. If I get dates I will probably start showing up.

Merlin, I live in Midlothian but if you wanted I could meet just about anywhere.

I am game to meet, but I do not always have the mustang with me, so it has to be planned in advance so I can swap it out for my daily. Most of us don't mind meeting up, where would you be willing to drive to?

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Pretty much anywhere, where are you located?

46Tbird
01-08-2013, 01:25 PM
I've got GT500 mufflers and the Boss quad exhaust, it sounds pretty good IMO. I can meet up sometime. But I'm warning you, most of the guys on this forum are FLAKES about actually meeting up. :D

Midnight11
01-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I've got GT500 mufflers and the Boss quad exhaust, it sounds pretty good IMO. I can meet up sometime. But I'm warning you, most of the guys on this forum are FLAKES about actually meeting up. :D

not true...

and i have offroad h and gt500s and it sounds amazing

Zeek
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Im in mesquite and have roush and only a cai so if you want to hear that let me know.

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Midnight so far you are the closest, would love to hear yours sometime, I work in Arlington and lived there for 15 years so I know most areas if you wanted/could meet

Midnight11
01-08-2013, 02:10 PM
yea sounds good just let me know. im on the north side

Joey289
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM
If I had the money my car would already have the BORLA S-type catback on it.

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 02:37 PM

So not true. I've yet to see you at a dfw50 event, so you can't talk. lol

Phuck Phace
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM

He went to the free beer car show that got rained on.

GunsUp
01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
I have an X with Roush AB. I would say its tame but downshifting is the best part. Very little drone. But with only having a CAI I say the exhaust does the car justice without being "Look at me and my loud as fuck car that is pretty much stock but I want it to sound like it goes 1,000,000 mph"

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
He went to the free beer car show that got rained on.

Oh that's right. I forgot about that one, he chased me down as we were leaving. lol.

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Where are these meets at? I'd love to show up, also I have a buddy but he refuses to leave his '00 gt even though he's wrecked it twice. Would he be "allowed" lol

Courtesy Flush
01-08-2013, 03:15 PM

I think i saw you last night driving down precinct judging by the wheels, i was in a white 5.0.

Phuck Phace
01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Where are these meets at? I'd love to show up, also I have a buddy but he refuses to leave his '00 gt even though he's wrecked it twice. Would he be "allowed" lol

Everyone is allowed except for terminators.

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Seems like a very nice rule to have...

46Tbird
01-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I think i saw you last night driving down precinct judging by the wheels, i was in a white 5.0.
Yep...

Bearded Banger
01-08-2013, 03:21 PM
No terminators. Maybe I'll drive the Ecoboost or just buy some new badass car with a 302.

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Anyone is allowed as long as they are chill and there to have a good time. :)

Everyone is allowed except for terminators.

LOL, you should join in the Terminator hate on SVTP. It's always good for a laugh because they get so upset.

No terminators. Maybe I'll drive the Ecoboost or just buy some new badass car with a 302.

Okay, you know the rule Gary. You can bring your Terminator, but you have to park in the back and wash all of our cars again.

Phuck Phace
01-08-2013, 03:40 PM

Gerbil, gergill, wtf?

TrueStreetTim
01-08-2013, 04:05 PM
I still like the Borla S Type exhaust. The Attack series is much louder, but more drone.

I love my GT500s. I listened to Midnight's car tonight with GT500s and a O/R H pipe, and I am sold.

Don't worry about inspection. Unless the place puts your car on a lift, or you aren't lowered, the won't bother checking underneath to look for cats.

I agree! I like the Borla's on the 5.0's. Not so much on the previous models. But I like them much more than the Magnaflows, personally. I know the 500's have been mentioned as a crowd favorite and for good reason. But I'd like to see more Borlas/ARH's out there too.

Joey289
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I agree! I like the Borla's on the 5.0's. Not so much on the previous models. But I like them much more than the Magnaflows, personally. I know the 500's have been mentioned as a crowd favorite and for good reason. But I'd like to see more Borlas/ARH's out there too.

Can you get us a group buy hookup? lol

46Tbird
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Oh that's right. I forgot about that one, he chased me down as we were leaving. lol.Yeah, I was there. And the Euless school parking lot show. And the times I've been to Kennedale, Denton, and Ennis and didn't see any members there.

I really don't need to type anything to prove the point - just browse the Events forum for a listing of completely busted non-events, lol.

DirtyD
01-08-2013, 04:38 PM
If I had the $1k to drop on the full stainless, mandrel S-Type exhaust, I would have gone that route, with transplanted GT500 tips. But instead I spent 1/4 of that and got a exhaust note that, IMO, rivals that of the full Borla system.

The ORH will make it that much better. :D

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I was there. And the Euless school parking lot show. And the times I've been to Kennedale, Denton, and Ennis and didn't see any members there.

I really don't need to type anything to prove the point - just browse the Events forum for a listing of completely busted non-events, lol.

Those aren't official events. The last dyno day at Truestreet was a big turnout because it was a planned thing. The Euless thing no one took that seriously to turn into anything except one time and it was all our members and that was it. lol

Plus, this group hasn't had an official track day yet. Not everyone goes to the track still. I personally don't care about ET's or dyno numbers, so it's doubtful you will see me at the track unless there is a group event and I will go to hang out.

I'm sure you will make fun of me for using the word "official" but there is a difference between a planned group event and some kind half assed, last minute thing thrown together.

Had you been around when the first GTG's started, you'd know that we said were going to just kinda let whatever happen for the rest of 2012 and get things really going in the Spring of 2013. There was no point of planning a bunch of stuff with winter coming up. There will be a lot of GTGs coming up in 2013 with a good turn out. Stick around, you'll see. :)

Phuck Phace
01-08-2013, 05:18 PM
We go out drinking around 3 times a week.

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 05:30 PM

Shoot me a text if anything is going on Saturday.

merlinmol
01-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Pretty much anywhere, where are you located?

I am in Plano. Sucks that you are on the other side of D-town and work in Arlington. I was thinking of maybe trying to meet up in Addison, but that doesn't help out much.

TrueStreetTim
01-08-2013, 06:05 PM

This includes driving so 2 birds 1 stone, right? :Good or Bad:

46Tbird
01-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Those aren't official events. The last dyno day at Truestreet was a big turnout because it was a planned thing. The Euless thing no one took that seriously to turn into anything except one time and it was all our members and that was it. lol

Plus, this group hasn't had an official track day yet. Not everyone goes to the track still. I personally don't care about ET's or dyno numbers, so it's doubtful you will see me at the track unless there is a group event and I will go to hang out.

I'm sure you will make fun of me for using the word "official" but there is a difference between a planned group event and some kind half assed, last minute thing thrown together.

Had you been around when the first GTG's started, you'd know that we said were going to just kinda let whatever happen for the rest of 2012 and get things really going in the Spring of 2013. There was no point of planning a bunch of stuff with winter coming up. There will be a lot of GTGs coming up in 2013 with a good turn out. Stick around, you'll see. :)

lol, ok

l3g1t
01-08-2013, 06:19 PM
I am in Plano. Sucks that you are on the other side of D-town and work in Arlington. I was thinking of maybe trying to meet up in Addison, but that doesn't help out much.

If you can do a weekend I'm cool with the drive. Do you ever take it to meets?

Taxman
01-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Pretty sure he was at Cars n Coffee... hard to keep real names and screen names together in my head.

Wait... that's not official thought, right?

Grandpa
01-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Pretty sure he was at Cars n Coffee... hard to keep real names and screen names together in my head.

Wait... that's not official thought, right?

Its a c&c event not dfw50s. Its a "eh..wanna go?" thing. Lol

I know Danny is just trollin. No big deal. Lol

Phuck Phace
01-08-2013, 07:27 PM
This includes driving so 2 birds 1 stone, right? :Good or Bad:

Yeah buddy!

http://i.imgur.com/kq53r.gif

Dark Pony
01-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I kind of went a different route then everyone, and maybe a bit unconventional, but I had mine built. I love the sound, personally. I tend to agree with everyone about sound clips online, but I do have my Dyno pull in the video section.

merlinmol
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
If you can do a weekend I'm cool with the drive. Do you ever take it to meets?

I am cool with doing a weekend, may not take her out for a couple weeks though, just put her back in the garage yesterday. I go out to quite a few of the local shows. Outside of the members that go to those I haven't been able to meet up yet for anything dfw50 specific.

1andonlywhitie
01-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Does MAC make a system for the 5.slow? I've just got MAC axle backs on my Bullitt and I've had a fair few comments on them..

DirtyD
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Does MAC make a system for the 5.slow? I've just got MAC axle backs on my Bullitt and I've had a fair few comments on them..
I think they do...but they aren't one of the ones you see everywhere like GT500s, Roush, Flows, and Maggies

DirtyD
01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
There are two listed on the website....but nothing seems different between the two...

http://macperformance.com/Exhuast-Systems_c23.htm

Taxman
01-09-2013, 02:23 PM
I was wondering if they made a prochamber for the 5.0 myself. I've got MAC long tubes and the prochamber and I love the deepness of the sound. I had MAC axlebacks before I installed the Saleen rear on my car, and that sound of the full MAC exhaust was the best I'd heard.

46Tbird
01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Its a c&c event not dfw50s. Its a "eh..wanna go?" thing. Lol

I know Danny is just trollin. No big deal. Lol

I'm not trolling. I'll just wait and see what kind of attendance a super-official-licensed-2013-dfw50s.com-event gets.

Better make sure it's not hot, cold, early, late, on a weekend, or on a weekday because these are all reasons people will not show up. :D

merlinmol
01-09-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm not trolling. I'll just wait and see what kind of attendance a super-official-licensed-2013-dfw50s.com-event gets.

Better make sure it's not hot, cold, early, late, on a weekend, or on a weekday because these are all reasons people will not show up. :D

:signs8: I decide by event and when it is, if I can go... of course precipitation plays a part for me, but not temperature. Then again I am just a total car retard so I go for all the other cars.

l3g1t
01-09-2013, 07:46 PM
I used to go to any I could find, if the turnout was decent at least. It's nice to see other cars for ideas, and talk to people for tech tips. I'm a slight noob on modding cars so I learn the best in person from people

BlueBolt
01-10-2013, 09:24 AM
I have corsa extremes on my car. Love the sound and no drone. I bought some ota pipes with the resonators deleted from a member here but haven't had time to put them on yet

Grandpa
01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
:gay:I'm not trolling. I'll just wait and see what kind of attendance a super-official-licensed-2013-dfw50s.com-event gets.

BeastStang1302
01-13-2013, 12:52 AM
I have the Magnaflow competition axleback on mine so far and I'm probably the only other Midlothian native on this forum. Let me know if you want to meet up. I've yet to go to one of the meets but I would agree with Steve, and go to a meet to hear everyone's different setups to get a better idea of what you like.

l3g1t
01-18-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking I've found what I want, MRT race H with MRT KR axle backs... They sound good and if not this race H pipe ill go with Lethal's

jayman33
01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Let me know on the MRT stuff. They're great quality!

I have their Quad H-pipe on the Boss, it sounds amazing!!

l3g1t
01-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I think the axle back should be easy but how difficult is it to install a mid pipe with no lift and never having done it before?