PDA

View Full Version : First 2000 miles

MnemonicGhost
01-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm literally just under 2000 miles after a couple months of ownership. According to the computer, I'm still sitting at 83% oil quality or whatever it's called. While I have been taking it easy on her to ensure a good engine break in, at this rate my first oil change is due around 10k miles. What's your experience?

Zeek
01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Im currently at like 9300miles. Still on my 1st oil from then factory. I only put 1qt in so far and im about 1/2 qt low right now. According to Ford you only have to change your oil when the percent reaches 0 or close to it.

Grandpa
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm literally just under 2000 miles after a couple months of ownership. According to the computer, I'm still sitting at 83% oil quality or whatever it's called. While I have been taking it easy on her to ensure a good engine break in, at this rate my first oil change is due around 10k miles. What's your experience?

Your first oil change is at every 5k miles, not 10k. These motors tend to use abit of oil so I'd suggest changing your oil early and check it often depending on your driving habits.

blownaltered
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Im currently at like 9300miles. Still on my 1st oil from then factory. I only put 1qt in so far and im about 1/2 qt low right now. According to Ford you only have to change your oil when the percent reaches 0 or close to it.

Your nuts. I would never trust that gauge. You do realize you can reset that at anytime even without changing your oil. I personally wouldn't go past 5k but that's just me. If your running synthetic you can go to 7500 but that's as far as I would go. If you are reving the hell out of it stick with 5k. A $50 oil change is cheaper than a new motor.

Grandpa
01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
According to Ford you only have to change your oil when the percent reaches 0 or close to it.

:killer:

downtime!
01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I'm pretty psychotic about oil changes, especially driving the car fairly hard on a regular basis. I'm about to roll over 30k miles on mine and haven't noticed any oil usage issues at all. The level is always right where it was at the last change. And with that said, I still change it every 3000 miles like clockwork, and only use full synthetic. It's a $100 oil change for me, letting a shop do it, but that way I don't have to find a place to dispose of the old oil.

JDBishopArts
01-01-2013, 07:12 PM
I've changed the oil every 4k-5k miles. I got some free oil changes because they screwed up some stuff when I was picking up the car so I've been getting free oil changes at the dealer. I have 1 more. Then I'll probably go full synthetic every 3k.

03MachMe
01-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Did first one just under 5k miles and will do them every 5k for the next two years because they are free at the dealer

46Tbird
01-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Did the first at 1k, second at 5k, then every 5000 after that.

It is synthetic... and eight quarts. That's a lot of oil. There's a reason they say you can go to 10k but I wouldn't do it.

Kronis
01-01-2013, 08:09 PM
You actually shouldn't take it too easy. "Break-in" time is a well busted myth.

BhowardB
01-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Break in? I took mine to the track with only 200 miles on it. Been driving the s?!t out of it ever since. 26,600 miles now.

MnemonicGhost
01-02-2013, 12:22 AM
There is alot of hocus pocus myths in both directions on break in. It's not like I'm driving like a grandma, but yes, I am not needing WOT daily on my commute to work. I am erring on the side of caution as this is the fastest and most expesive car I've ever owned.

Joey289
01-02-2013, 09:54 AM
I am going to do the first oil change using Ford Semi-sythetic blend at 2500. Then the 2nd oil change at 5,000 using Mobil 1. After that it will either be every 5,000 or 7,500 depending on oil usage and how it looks. I drive 350 miles a week for work (70% highway) so the miles will add up fast.

I would never extend oil to 10k miles ESPECIALLY on the first oil change. Remember, that intial oil was in there when all the metals first got to meet each other.

MnemonicGhost
01-02-2013, 10:36 PM
I've been on Ford vehicle based forums for 15-20 years. I've heard people swear to all of the following:

A) Run it like you stole it from day one. It'll help seat the rings better and ensure a good crosshatched wear pattern on the cylnder sleeve.

B) Run the initial oil as long as you can. It has special addititves from the original build that help it break in.

C) Change the oil as soon as you can, it'll help eliminate any initial metallic dust from the original build from circulating and causing more damange.

D) Drive it like you intend to drive it. The engine will wear /break in and will be better equipped if it was under the same conditions you will drive it forever.

So I plan on doing it this summer, somewhere north of 5k and south of 10k. I'll just keep an eye on the oil levels and condition over time. Oil changes are cheap insurance, but I also don't want to be overly wasteful.

Now next question on possible contention.... Synthetic or Conventional? :)

Joey289
01-02-2013, 10:59 PM
I don't know about a b or c. But D is retarded...the metal in the engine will not remember which conditions you first drove it under. lol

Joey289
01-02-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty psychotic about oil changes, especially driving the car fairly hard on a regular basis. I'm about to roll over 30k miles on mine and haven't noticed any oil usage issues at all. The level is always right where it was at the last change. And with that said, I still change it every 3000 miles like clockwork, and only use full synthetic. It's a $100 oil change for me, letting a shop do it, but that way I don't have to find a place to dispose of the old oil.

The Texas Motorplex has big containers for oil and other fluids. It is a good excuse to go to the racetrack...."Hunny, I am only going to dispose of my used oil in a environmentally friendly and free way."