PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue could use some help

Taxman
12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
Having some issues after installing Saleen rear fascia. I've got it all put in and wired up per the instructions but the third brake light doesn't work properly. When I plug it in, it lights up immediately. When I push the brakes, it turns off until I release the brake pedal, then lights back up. If I leave it for awhile, it turns off with the trunk light, and turns back on if I hit the trunk release button.

In addition to this, my dash display shows "trunk ajar" and I have to press reset it each time I get in the car.

It's not something stupid like having the trunk light wired into it, or anything stupid like that. I've checked and rechecked everything to my knowledge and ability.

Has anyone run across a problem like this, or have a clue what I can do to figure out what's wrong?

DirtyD
12-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Might be a common ground issue going on too.

Taxman
12-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Might be a common ground issue going on too.

What does that mean and how would I diagnose that? I've had some kind of electrical gremlin that's killed two batteries in the past eight months. Clearly I have something going on but I'm not sure how to test for it.

DirtyD
12-30-2012, 12:48 AM
At least I think that's what it's called...=/

Basically if those two components share the same harness or ground wire, it might be getting some electrical feedback through to the other....but that would really explain the fact the brake light illuminates when the pedal isn't pressed, then turns off when you do push it.

Let me run it by my dad tomorrow. He is an electrician, so I'll read him your post and see if he has an idea.

Taxman
12-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Thanks man.