PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Check Engine light....?

Special K
12-20-2012, 04:57 PM
At lunch today my check engine light started flashing then went off.... Anyone else have this happen? I'm at 3800 miles... not the best feeling after the LCA replacement at 200 miles... Just curious...

TrueStreetTim
12-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Might have a code in the memory. Do you have a scan tool?

*Edit: don't drive the car if it's continually flashing and won't go off.

Special K
12-20-2012, 05:18 PM
no, I don't but could go up to grapevine ford and cry a little if I needed to. **good to know on the driving... I was about to drive to the dealer when it stopped flashing....

DirtyD
12-20-2012, 05:30 PM
You have roadside assistance through Ford. Call the dealer, tell them what's going on, and ask them to send a wrecker through warranty to pick the car up to bring it in for diagnosis.

Special K
12-20-2012, 05:40 PM
You have roadside assistance through Ford. Call the dealer, tell them what's going on, and ask them to send a wrecker through warranty to pick the car up to bring it in for diagnosis.

I'm worried about them telling me that can't duplicate the issue. That happened with the LCAs and the only reason they replaced them was the TSB.

Getting it to the store isnt a problem, I am technically an employee.

TrueStreetTim
12-20-2012, 07:41 PM
good to know on the driving... I was about to drive to the dealer when it stopped flashing....

If somehow it were to go into limp mode (stumbles etc. while the code is flashing)... leave it sit.

I'm worried about them telling me that can't duplicate the issue. That happened with the LCAs and the only reason they replaced them was the TSB.

It's unclear to me whether this will apply to auto's for certain. Additionally there was a similar TSB for the 2011 but I'll have to look for it. When you visit the dealer you can present this to them.

TSB
12-12-8 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ILLUMINATED - DTCS P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 - NO DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/30/2012

Publication Date: December 17, 2012

FORD: 2013 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2013 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and manual transmission and built on or before 11/30/2012 may exhibit a Check Engine Light illuminated accompanied by any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 stored in continuous memory only. Additionally, there will be no apparent drivability symptoms present and no DTCs present which are not listed.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using IDS, perform self test on the PCM to check for both continuous memory (CMDTCs) and key on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 are present in KOER and/or a driveability concern, such as cylinder misfire, is present, do not continue with this article. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
If any DTCs P0300 - P0308 are present in continuous memory and there is no discernible drivability concern, such as cylinder misfire, present, proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 82.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
Using IDS, perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
121208A 2013 Mustang: Check DTCs Reprogram PCM Perform The Misfire Neutral Correction Procedure Includes Time To Clear Codes After Repair (Do not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

Special K
12-20-2012, 09:54 PM
If somehow it were to go into limp mode (stumbles etc. while the code is flashing)... leave it sit.

It's unclear to me whether this will apply to auto's for certain. Additionally there was a similar TSB for the 2011 but I'll have to look for it. When you visit the dealer you can present this to them.

TSB
12-12-8 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ILLUMINATED - DTCS P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 - NO DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/30/2012

Publication Date: December 17, 2012

FORD: 2013 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2013 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and manual transmission and built on or before 11/30/2012 may exhibit a Check Engine Light illuminated accompanied by any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 stored in continuous memory only. Additionally, there will be no apparent drivability symptoms present and no DTCs present which are not listed.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using IDS, perform self test on the PCM to check for both continuous memory (CMDTCs) and key on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 are present in KOER and/or a driveability concern, such as cylinder misfire, is present, do not continue with this article. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
If any DTCs P0300 - P0308 are present in continuous memory and there is no discernible drivability concern, such as cylinder misfire, present, proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 82.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
Using IDS, perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
121208A 2013 Mustang: Check DTCs Reprogram PCM Perform The Misfire Neutral Correction Procedure Includes Time To Clear Codes After Repair (Do not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

Thank you!!!! :)

JDBishopArts
12-20-2012, 10:02 PM
I have a scanner and can try to see if there are any pending codes. Although if it flashed and went off it probably wont read anything. Let me know if I can help. I'm close.