PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 02:14 AM
I guess i should start by saying this is an 89 gt with a 302. I have oil on the top of my block on the back side of my motor behind intake. It goes around the sides below the heads also. The only thing I can come up with is the rear main but I wouldn't think it would get oil up there so could it be from the heads. I know the oil pan gaskets leaks and that will be fixed this week but I just can't seem to figure out where the oil on top of the motor is coming from.

Grandpa
12-07-2012, 02:19 AM
EGR still on the car?

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Yes

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 02:28 AM
No oil around it

STROKD
12-07-2012, 03:10 AM
Valve Cover gaskets

Edit, or PCV valve isnt in place, or gasket fell out... check the PCV system and your valve covers... if you have the old cork ones, throw them away and buy the later model metal and rubber gaskets. Those dont leak.

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=STROKD;11501]Valve Cover gaskets

Edit, or PCV valve isnt in place, or gasket fell out... check the PCV system and your valve covers... if you have the old cork ones, throw them away and buy the later model metal and rubber gaskets. Those dont leak.[/

The valve cover gasket on the passenger side is leaking but not in the back. The driver side is not leaking at all. I believe Sean at truestreetmotorsports checked the Pcv valve before dynoing the car a few weeks ago but I will check it again.

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Pcv valve is in but does look like it is leaking around it. Could have bad o-ring. I will pick up valve cover gaskets and new Pcv vale today to install this weekend. There is oil all over the top of the bell housing of the tranny. Not sure if these are the cause but I guess it's a start

STROKD
12-07-2012, 05:41 PM
I assume you have a valve cover breather? If not the pcv could just blow out under boost. Lol

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I assume you have a valve cover breather? If not the pcv could just blow out under boost. Lol

It has a breather but that leaks a little. It doesn't have the baffle, looking for valve covers that will work with a baffle.

Toby
12-07-2012, 09:47 PM
the rear portion of the intake could not be sealed good.

blownaltered
12-07-2012, 10:42 PM
the rear portion of the intake could not be sealed good.

My dad and I were talking about that this evening. I guess the only real way to check that would be to pull the intake. Shit I guess it's something else to add to the list of shit to do. If I have to do that I might as well put the bigger injectors the motor needs, no sense in pulling the upper intake twice

blownaltered
12-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Well took the car to a buddy of mine and she is all fixed up. The oil pan gasket and the Pcv valve were the problems. The Pcv valve was toast, the rubber deal was bad and there was no oil screen, that was leaking pretty bad. All other seals look good. Have one little leak because of the valve cover breather but I will need new valve covers to fix. But I fixed my hood so now I have the clearance to do it. Now I don't have to replace my hood, lots of money saved right there.