PDA

View Full Version : suspension help

hatchttu
11-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 2012 mustang gt. Over the last month or so I noticed a knocking from what seemed to be the front drivers suspension. Last march I installed koni str.ts and steeda ultralites. The sound started off going over bumps and progressed to being random but constant. It sounds like a golf ball rattling around in a cup. Like 2 metal pieces bouncing off one another.

Last week (11/13) I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the front lower control arms per the LCA tsb. The sound was gone for a few days but has come back with great vengeance. I brought the car back to the dealer today and they are telling me the LCAs are fine and that the sound is coming from the springs. They won't touch the springs because they are aftermarket so they can't tell me what about them may be making the noise. I Have pulled the wheel off and everything seems to be tight. The sound happens on seemingly smooth roads, sometimes over bumps, and sometimes it won't happen over bumps. But while you are driving it is constantly happening. I may pull the front strut out tomorrow and look at it. Any advice on what to look for? I am also thinking of having ntb check it out after thanksgiving.

Here is a video
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/hatchttu/th_20121121_203617.jpg (http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/hatchttu/20121121_203617.mp4)

Midnight11
11-22-2012, 12:19 PM
did you put in the gt500 strut mounts?

Grandpa
11-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Did you put the isolaters back in with the aftermarket springs?

DirtyD
11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Same problem I have. You installed the springs without isolators. My BMR springs are doing the same thing on my factory struts.

I couldn't get the isos off the stock springs, so I said screw it.

hatchttu
11-22-2012, 12:38 PM
The steeda springs had an isolator on them already. At least it looks like it does. Its an extra clear thing covering the botton 2 coils. Is that not really an isolator? I will try to get a pic this afternoon of it. Yes, I did use the GT500 strut mounts.

Is this not an isolator?
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w40/hatchttu/20121122_105130.jpg

DirtyD
11-22-2012, 02:14 PM
It may not be thick enough. Idk. I'll have to get a video of mine

hatchttu
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Cool, thanks, I hope it is something that simple:) well, at least not something that will make my car fall apart:)

jayman33
11-22-2012, 02:24 PM
that should work, this may sound dumb but did you tighten down your struts fully? Could also be your strut mounts have gone bad.

hatchttu
11-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I checked everything and everything is nice and tight. I haven't pulled the strut out yet as I am about to go to Ft. Worth for the weekend. Do you mean the top 21mm bolt on the strut?

Courtesy Flush
11-23-2012, 10:30 AM
your strut mounts have gone bad.

This.

hatchttu
11-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Will it be obvious when I take the strut out that it is bad? What should I look for?

Dan12GT
11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
interested to see what this ends up being.

Courtesy Flush
11-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Will it be obvious when I take the strut out that it is bad? What should I look for?

Before taking everything off, have you tried pushing down on either side of front of the car to replicate the noise?

A bad strut mount would show cracks or breaks within the rubber isolator between the spring and the bottom of the mount.

hatchttu
11-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Before taking everything off, have you tried pushing down on either side of front of the car to replicate the noise?

A bad strut mount would show cracks or breaks within the rubber isolator between the spring and the bottom of the mount.

Yes, and I can not replicate the sound doing this. I will order some new mounts and the rubber isolators and start eliminating possible issues this week.

hatchttu
11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
What do you guys think about the J&M camber plates, I assume these are the replacements for the GT500 strut mounts as in I wouldn't need to buy anything else.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/JM-24220B/Mustang-J-M-Caster-Camber-Plates

DirtyD
11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Camber aren't really needed unless you intend to do some road racing, requiring a good amount of adjustability in your caster and camber. I asked the same question, and that's the answer I got. If you are really just going to be street driving your car, GT500 mounts and camber bolts are really all you need.

I still don't how your brand new mounts went bad...

Phuck Phace
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM
What do you guys think about the J&M camber plates, I assume these are the replacements for the GT500 strut mounts as in I wouldn't need to buy anything else.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/JM-24220B/Mustang-J-M-Caster-Camber-Plates

I have the Maximum Motorsports plates and they work great.

hatchttu
11-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, I thought I would give a little update. I am almost embarrassed to say it. I checked every bolt to make sure they were tight and they were. The only one I could never get to on the car was the top nut that holds the strut mount on the strut. When I assembled them when I used a socket it would just turn the whole shaft so I had to get a box wrench on the big nut and a small socket on the top of the shaft to get it tight. SO yesterday I picked up one of those pass thru sockets from Lowes (had to get 22mm) so I could get it on the big nut but still be able to keep the shaft from turning.

Last night I dropped that on, held it with a wrench, put the small socket on the top of the shaft and got it to turn just a touch, maybe 1/8 of a turn at most. Well, on the way to work this morning the ride was silent, no sounds at all. So I guess that nut had come loose just enough to let things hop around.

Thanks for the knowledge and advice.

Grandpa
11-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Glad to hear you got it worked out. :)

Midnight11
11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
ah yes that bolt is a bitch. took me forever to get them off and then back on again since you can only turn it so much...