PDA

View Full Version : Power Adder Decisions

Doug1227
11-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Looking to do something around the first of the year. Been reading up quite a bit. Let me know what you think is the best option. Car is an A6 '12 with a catback, SCT tuner and Cat deletes.

Goal: 620-650rwhp/XXXrwtq Mid-High 10’s on a DR.

Kenne Bell 2.8LC Polished Tuner Kit - $6949

I have some 60# injectors already. Will I need the BAP? If so, Add $259
Pros: Can keep stock gears (3.15) and stock converter and still 60’ decent. Clean Install. No need for Intake Manifold.
Cons: More expensive. Installation a little harder than the Paxton.

Paxton 2200SL Polished “Beefcake Special” - $5400-$5600

Includes ID1000 injectors, Vortech BAP, and extra pulley
Pros: Cost and room for growth. Easiest Install
Cons: Will probably need gears/converter/Boss IM to get it out of the hole. Less grunt off the line?

Hellion Twin Turbo Tuner Kit - $7295 from Power Adder Solutions
Use the 60# injectors? BAP? If so, add $259 using KB.
Pros: Cool, great power per PSI, tons of room for growth.
Cons: Cost, installation time

For All Options: Will the 60# injectors be enough? Require BAP? Problematic to tune?
Oil Pump Gears required?
Keep the stock gearing and converter?

Midnight11
11-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Paxton will get you that easy or a procharger d1 from true street!

downtime!
11-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I'd never choose a Paxton over a Procharger, but either one will get you pretty close to what you're wanting. The KB is overkill for that low a power level, trust me. Probably wouldn't need the BAP for that level. Same for the Hellion kit, and I'm still hearing of fitment issues even with the new twin kit. It does look cool under the hood though.

Phuck Phace
11-21-2012, 04:21 PM
...or a procharger d1 from true street!

This.

Doug1227
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
The CON in my head for the Centri's is the fact that I'd probably need a Boss IM and gears and converter to get it out of the hole! (Besides loosing my CS fog lights). Keep in mind my car's an auto....

Phuck Phace
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
The CON in my head for the Centri's is the fact that I'd probably need a Boss IM and gears and converter to get it out of the hole! (Besides loosing my CS fog lights). Keep in mind my car's an auto....

I was able to keep my fogs with the StageII procharger intercooler. Haven't ran at the track but it is mad fun on the streets.
I also hear the autos with a TVS will easily run 10s all day.

Doug1227
11-21-2012, 04:35 PM
I think all (3) kits have some room to grow if I decide down the road to build the shortblock. I like having that option. What's a D1 tuner kit go for? Is it the D1sc or just the D1? I like the self contained option (part of what I like about the KB and Paxton). Just to clarify, I think all 3 will get me to where I want to be, and if they don't, I'll turn 'em up! I'm just looking at the supporting mods I'll need and general feedback about the kits...

Doug1227
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm guessing that would apply to the KB's as well and I like the room to grow with the KB.

I was able to keep my fogs with the StageII procharger intercooler. Haven't ran at the track but it is mad fun on the streets.

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Looking to do something around the first of the year. Been reading up quite a bit. Let me know what you think is the best option. Car is an A6 '12 with a catback, SCT tuner and Cat deletes.

Goal: 620-650rwhp/XXXrwtq Mid-High 10’s on a DR.

Kenne Bell 2.8LC Polished Tuner Kit - $6949

I have some 60# injectors already. Will I need the BAP? If so, Add $259
Pros: Can keep stock gears (3.15) and stock converter and still 60’ decent. Clean Install. No need for Intake Manifold.
Cons: More expensive. Installation a little harder than the Paxton.

Paxton 2200SL Polished “Beefcake Special” - $5400-$5600

Includes ID1000 injectors, Vortech BAP, and extra pulley
Pros: Cost and room for growth. Easiest Install
Cons: Will probably need gears/converter/Boss IM to get it out of the hole. Less grunt off the line?

Hellion Twin Turbo Tuner Kit - $7295 from Power Adder Solutions
Use the 60# injectors? BAP? If so, add $259 using KB.
Pros: Cool, great power per PSI, tons of room for growth.
Cons: Cost, installation time

For All Options: Will the 60# injectors be enough? Require BAP? Problematic to tune?
Oil Pump Gears required?
Keep the stock gearing and converter?

Any of those options will easily help you meet your goal which is relatively easy to meet with these cars. It really comes down to your driving style and how you use the car.

A centri blower on these cars isn't really like what it use to be on on past Mustangs lacking low end because the motor now has double the power a fox used to have. These cars are beasts with centri blowers making power all the way to the redline. Beefcake is making over 1000rw with his car and drives it everyday.

PD blowers are a blast to drive around town making instant torque. It routinely takes around 100hp less to go 10's with a Roush blower in comparison to a centri blower.

Turbos, well there is nothing I can tell you about turbos that you don't already know Doug. I spent 2 hours speaking with John Urist at SEMA about that kit and saw it in person on that green car. The ONLY cutting on that kit is the $50 dollar piece on the lower valance that is easily replacable. The same can't be said on several centri kits. The downside of the turbo kit is the cost and the extensive installation which will take awhile. But once it's together, look out because it will be a monster.

IMO, I don't think there is really a wrong way to go because these cars respond so well to boost. It really comes down to your budget and driving style. I've already made my choice and I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be a blast!

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 04:39 PM

Yes sir. A TVS car with an auto is the easiest way to go 10's with these cars. It's so simple it's ridiculous.

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
BTW - you should do billet oil pump gears no matter what when boosting these cars. It's a MUST have.

Midnight11
11-21-2012, 04:41 PM
auto with the paxton. makes 713hp
rkQYWa9b_gQ

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
rkQYWa9b_gQ

You can also do that with a Roush TVS with 150hp less. ;)

In my opinion, turbos and PD blowers are the way to go with automatic cars, especially if it's street driven like Doug's is.

If his car was a six speed, Paxton's rock. The top end is very turbo like.

Doug1227
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
Guys with Auto Centris have to do a converter or gears or it'll 60' just like it does NA which SUCKS! Add that to the cost and it's getting closer to the KB and turbo....

JDBishopArts
11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Hopefully I'll have the Hellion Kit in a couple years. That's the plan anyway.

Luke
11-21-2012, 07:57 PM
The hellion and twinturbo50 kit are close to the same price, surprised yall thinking about the hellion wouldn't just wait on the other to come out. 2013 GT with twin turbos and a built motor... oh yes... it will be mine!

5PointSlow
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
I wouldnt go kenne bell, TVS or whipple 2.9. I would get the hellion kit. Lots of good reviews and no wait.

5PointSlow
11-21-2012, 08:30 PM
10.88@134 stick car on street tires with less hp on E85.

STROKD
11-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Vortech 110 kit and a parachute.

zemog255
11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
rkQYWa9b_gQ

Im pretty sure he was only making 620rw in that vid. He has a higher stall though.

Midnight11
11-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Im pretty sure he was only making 620rw in that vid. He has a higher stall though.

took that from his newer thread but could be wrong...

46Tbird
11-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Duggles, don't underestimate the "good" aspects of having a car that leaves soft. You aren't tearing up rear ends, axles, suspension parts, and it's easy on tires. Having a car that runs 10.6 @ 135 with 1.8 60s will be a lot more reliable than a car running 10.6 @ 130 with 1.5 60s.

Just throwing it out there. I'd rather be cutting 1.5s too. lol

Whatever Manny did to run 9-second quarter miles with a stock engine and trans is what I would do. Put oil pump gears in it and maybe run a little less boost to let it live longer.

pohnjarker
11-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Duggles, don't underestimate the "good" aspects of having a car that leaves soft. You aren't tearing up rear ends, axles, suspension parts, and it's easy on tires.

besides price, this is the main reason i went Paxton over a tvs. the instant torque is awesome but puts a bit more strain on the parts you listed.

i'll hit the track occasionally but most of my fun will be on the streets of Mexico and i think the centri will hold its own very well.

also, when you say "less grunt off of the line", what exactly do you mean because even with a paxton, you'll still be pushing over 500tq so not as mean as a tvs with over 600, but much more so than stock at the mid 300s. i have 3.73 gears so a little better than your 3.15s for getting off the line but still, i think you could be smoking the tires through the first 3 gears if you wanted to.

good luck with your decision, looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Grandpa
11-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Whatever Manny did to run 9-second quarter miles with a stock engine and trans is what I would do. Put oil pump gears in it and maybe run a little less boost to let it live longer.

That would be a good idea since Manny melted the motor. Oil pump gears are a must.

jayman33
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
With a stock block I think the Roush TVS is a great way to get power and they're not as expensive as a Whipple. One of my customers is making 620 and 550 TQ, not many PD blowers are making that much torque with only 10lbs of boost. I have some pretty good deals right now with the Roush kits.

A302
11-24-2012, 08:49 PM
All the combos listed make a lot of power and run great. I have a Roush TVS and like it. I ran 6.74 and 6.75 back to back last time at the track. This was done on drag radials with an auto with stock gears and stock suspension with 1.5 sixty foot times. The car made 561rwhp the last time it was dynoed. That's not that much power. It's just a combo that works well. The trans is also stock. No fancy exhaust either. Just an off road h-pipe and that's it.

Grandpa
11-24-2012, 10:10 PM
All the combos listed make a lot of power and run great. I have a Roush TVS and like it. I ran 6.74 and 6.75 back to back last time at the track. This was done on drag radials with an auto with stock gears and stock suspension with 1.5 sixty foot times. The car made 561rwhp the last time it was dynoed. That's not that much power. It's just a combo that works well. The trans is also stock. No fancy exhaust either. Just an off road h-pipe and that's it.

THat's a good running car with a simple set up. I dig it.

A302
11-24-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks. When I bought this Mustang I wanted it to be simple and run good. I decided to skip all the bolt ons that don't make much difference.

Luke
11-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Awesome times, what drag radials and who's tune?

pohnjarker
11-26-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks. When I bought this Mustang I wanted it to be simple and run good. I decided to skip all the bolt ons that don't make much difference.

i agree with you bro...

i did my mod thing and now im back to catback and tune as my only "bolt on" and im more than happy with it.

A302
11-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Awesome times, what drag radials and who's tune?

Thanks Luke. The drag radials are Mickey Thompson 275 60 15 (the older version). The tune is from VMP. Its their 93 street tune.

txcharlie
12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
I have to disagree with the ease of installation of the KB. You have to cut a softball size hole in you engine bay for the air intake pipe. I guess it's not that it's difficult, but I didn't want to do that to my car. That's as far as I read of the installation instructions....I now have a TVS.
I love the cool factor of the TT setup, but you also get a lot of under hood heat to go with it and relocating the ECM doesn't look fun.
I think the reason a TVS w/100 less HP is as fast as a centrifugal w/100 more is because of the difference in torque. New gears and a stall just isn't necessary if your making good torque. A centrifugal is easier on the drivetrain and probably won't break stuff as often.
Just my $.02.

5PointSlow
12-31-2012, 07:37 PM
My car made 669/581 on 8 to 8.5 psi on E85.

txcharlie
01-01-2013, 07:52 PM
My car made 669/581 on 8 to 8.5 psi on E85.

669hp on 8.5 lbs of boost????? How much timing does it run? Maybe I should try E85.