PDA

View Full Version : Driving the Stang 600+ Miles this Thanksgiving.

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Well it looks like I'm taking the Mustang to Louisiana for Thanksgiving and wanted to get some feedback from y'all who have taken your 5.0 on a trip.

This will be the first time it goes outside of Dallas and I'm terrified I'm going to have rock chips out the ass by the time I get home.

Currently the car is a garage queen 10/10 inside and out.

I think it will be fun to drive it and hope to get some thumbs up from some people I'm just admitting it's a 1,000 mile trip on the odometer:favorites68:

Who else has taken their car on a road trip and what were your experiences?

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Very cool. I haven't taken this car on any long trips just yet. My suggestion would be to get the blue painters tape and tape up the front bumper, hood and right above the top of the windshield. :)

Also, don't drive behind any trucks to reduce the chance of catching a rock.

Have a good trip and be safe!

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Very cool. I haven't taken this car on any long trips just yet. My suggestion would be to get the blue painters tape and tape up the front bumper, hood and right above the top of the windshield. :)

Also, don't drive behind any trucks to reduce the chance of catching a rock.

Have a good trip and be safe!

Yeah I thought about taping up some spots but decided against it.

In the end it's a car and made to be driven. Since I purchased the 100k bumper to bumper warranty I'm not sure how heavy I will be modding it but I would like to reach 500rwhp.

Hope to see some other 5.0's on the road:happy160:

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah I thought about taping up some spots but decided against it.

In the end it's a car and made to be driven. Since I purchased the 100k bumper to bumper warranty I'm not sure how heavy I will be modding it but I would like to reach 500rwhp.

Hope to see some other 5.0's on the road:happy160:

Well, if that's the case, I'd say just make sure to give it a good wax job before leaving to make it easier to get the bugs off, keep a bottle of detail spray, a microfiber towel in the trunk and hope for no rocks. :)

I don't see a lot of other 5.0's on the road when I'm out in my car. I always see them when I'm out in my truck though. lol.

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, if that's the case, I'd say just make sure to give it a good wax job before leaving to make it easier to get the bugs off, keep a bottle of detail spray, a microfiber towel in the trunk and hope for no rocks. :)

I don't see a lot of other 5.0's on the road when I'm out in my car. I always see them when I'm out in my truck though. lol.

I haven't either. Ran into an 03 cobra on Saturday that wanted to play but when the words "whipple" came out of his mouth I just laughed and said no thanks.

My car doesn't look "mean" at all. I'm keeping the clean look gonna make it look as close to a 65 fastback as possible. Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

46Tbird
11-20-2012, 04:58 PM
It's just a car. Drive the shit out of it and enjoy it. Otherwise you're just keeping it nice for the next guy.

I did a 3600-mile roadtrip in a Hertz rental '12 GT with Eric aka talisman. Badass trip and a great touring car.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/46Tbird/Road%20Trip%202011/RoadTrip2011248.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/46Tbird/Road%20Trip%202011/RoadTrip2011361.jpg

downtime!
11-20-2012, 05:13 PM
A huge +1! I've taken mine to Ohio twice, and Maryland once, just to drag race. I've had her a little over a year now and just turned over 28k miles. It's a car, not an investment. Use it for what it's meant to be used for. Take it out and have fun with it. If not, you should be driving a Prius.

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 05:15 PM
A huge +1! I've taken mine to Ohio twice, and Maryland once, just to drag race. I've had her a little over a year now and just turned over 28k miles. It's a car, not an investment. Use it for what it's meant to be used for. Take it out and have fun with it. If not, you should be driving a Prius.

How has your paint held up?

I remember the 03/04 Cobras were nightmares on the paint.

03MachMe
11-20-2012, 05:19 PM
just get a thing of touch up paint from the dealer and your good to go!

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 05:45 PM
I agree that it's "just a car", I just can't do that to my car. I keep my car as clean as possible at all times, it's part of the enjoyment I get out of owning a hobby car as well as driving/cruising it. I'm just as happy to spend an afternoon in the driveway detailing my car as I would be going out to a cruise night somewhere driving my car.

Now I'd do what Danny did renting a 5.0 to go drive the snot out of it, that would be a lot of fun. I just couldn't abuse my own car like that.

Phuck Phace
11-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Beat that bitch up Chris Brown!

DirtyD
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
As much as it does suck to see those miles add up that quick on the car, let me add I have tacked 8250 miles on my 2013 in 4 months...yeah, I know.

With that said, my car has already been driven from DFW to New Braunfels once (weekend I bought it actually), has been driven to Turner Falls in OK (340 mi RT), has been to College Station and back, and tomorrow evening I will be heading home (for the second time) to South Texas for Thanksgiving (650 mi RT with no other driving).

Just enjoy the road trip in the car! It's a great cruiser for long trips, and it's fun to be able to open her up on the long empty straights. :D

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I see a buff a new sealant of Zaino in my future

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 05:52 PM
As much as it does suck to see those miles add up that quick on the car, let me add I have tacked 8250 miles on my 2013 in 4 months...yeah, I know.

With that said, my car has already been driven from DFW to New Braunfels once (weekend I bought it actually), has been driven to Turner Falls in OK (340 mi RT), has been to College Station and back, and tomorrow evening I will be heading home (for the second time) to South Texas for Thanksgiving (650 mi RT with no other driving).

Just enjoy the road trip in the car! It's a great cruiser for long trips, and it's fun to be able to open her up on the long empty straights. :D

Passport 9500 FTW

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I see a buff a new sealant of Zaino in my future

LOL, good idea.

46Tbird
11-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Geez man, just go drive it. You might actually have some fun.

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 07:49 PM

(Jerry Jones voice)

We're talkin about a mustang 5.0, not some Camaro.

downtime!
11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
How has your paint held up?

I remember the 03/04 Cobras were nightmares on the paint.I found a single chip in the paint the other day, so small you can't hardly see it. Pretty sure that happened here locally though. The paint on these cars is pretty tough.

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 07:54 PM

LOL, is that your impression of me, Danny? Who knows what you really think, you are after all good friends with one of the biggest assholes to ever grace the internet, but I won't hold it against ya. :laughing1:

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 07:59 PM
LOL, is that your impression of me, Danny? Who knows what you really think, you are after all good friends with one of the biggest assholes to ever grace the internet, but I won't hold it against ya. :laughing1:

Steve how many miles do you have racked up so far?

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 08:09 PM
5500. Bought the car in April. But it's not my daily driver.

46Tbird
11-20-2012, 08:24 PM

I wasn't talking to you... :peace:

<------ 28500mi :gr_guns:

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 08:25 PM
LOL..good to know.

How many miles do you have on the new motor now?

STROKD
11-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Would be fun, just not my thing, thats why I have VWs. lol

Wife and I put 2500 miles in 19 months on her Vette... that was more than I put on the other C5 I had by almost 2x. Put 5K miles in 3.5 years on my C6.

GunsUp
11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Would be fun, just not my thing, thats why I have VWs. lol

Wife and I put 2500 miles in 19 months on her Vette... that was more than I put on the other C5 I had by almost 2x. Put 5K miles in 3.5 years on my C6.

Not my cup of tea either. But my 02 I35 needs an oil change, tire rotation, etc.

The stang is ready to roll so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and drive her.

Since I purchased the 100k mile warranty, If I only had a 36k mile I wouldn't do it.

Overall I just hope I don't have any problems with the highways and hope to get some good pics I can post up!

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Not my cup of tea either. But my 02 I35 needs an oil change, tire rotation, etc.

The stang is ready to roll so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and drive her.

Since I purchased the 100k mile warranty, If I only had a 36k mile I wouldn't do it.

Overall I just hope I don't have any problems with the highways and hope to get some good pics I can post up!

Do it! Have fun and be safe. :)

I've been thinking about this evening and Danny is right, I just need to go out and enjoy my car and quit worrying about it getting messed up. I'll just have to clean it more often but I enjoy that so it's all good. :)

DirtyD
11-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Do it! Have fun and be safe. :)

I've been thinking about this evening and Danny is right, I just need to go out and enjoy my car and quit worrying about it getting messed up. I'll just have to clean it more often but I enjoy that so it's all good. :)

FINALLY!!!! Epiphany!

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 11:21 PM
FINALLY!!!! Epiphany!

LOL! I guess I'm just not as smart as I'd like to be..

46Tbird
11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
How many miles do you have on the new motor now?about 3500

DirtyD
11-20-2012, 11:45 PM
about 3500

Stop babying that beauty, Danny. If you don't have 5k miles on that car by Jan 1, I'm stealing your wheels. :D

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Stop babying that beauty, Danny. If you don't have 5k miles on that car by Jan 1, I'm stealing your wheels. :D

I love those wheels. Almost bought a set until I came across the deal on my TF wheels. Danny's car was on my desktop for months!

GunsUp
11-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Decided to tape up the Mirrors and the entire front Bumper.

Might add a a couple strips across the front of the hood and above the windshield in the morning.

I'm taking my bucket with detail kit in the truck so I can wash her and re-tape her for the drive back to Dallas.

OCD much? Nah I just love my car

03MachMe
11-21-2012, 02:21 AM
And My wife thinks I'm bad lol

JDBishopArts
11-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Have fun looking like a tard driving those 600 miles.

I'd at least put "follow me to the Texas Mile" or something on your car so some dignity can be spared. lol

I love my car too. And the 10k miles I've put on her since I bought it. Only wounds so far is 2 rock chips and a small scratch on the lower bumper when one of my signs fell off the wall.

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Decided to tape up the Mirrors and the entire front Bumper.

Might add a a couple strips across the front of the hood and above the windshield in the morning.

I'm taking my bucket with detail kit in the truck so I can wash her and re-tape her for the drive back to Dallas.

OCD much? Nah I just love my car
Yay! Good thinking. Thats what i would do too.

Have fun looking like a tard driving those 600 miles.

I'd at least put "follow me to the Texas Mile" or something on your car so some dignity can be spared. lol

I love my car too. And the 10k miles I've put on her since I bought it. Only wounds so far is 2 rock chips and a small scratch on the lower bumper when one of my signs fell off the wall.

There is nothing wrong with being protective of his pride and joy. If you had $30k cash, would you throw it on the ground, stomp on it, throw it in water or whatever else mistreating it? No, so why do it with your car? Stuff happens in life, but some things can be avoided with proper planning. :)

Lol, my old age is showing in this post.

JDBishopArts
11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Steve. I totally understand your point but driving a car is not mistreating it. I love Mustangs. At the end of the day it's a Mustang. Heck, even if I had a Ferrari I doubt I would tape it up for a long trip.

It's a car. Not a piece of art. It would be like buying a camera and going, I really don't want to scratch the lens so I'm going to tape it up while I'm taking pictures. I clean my car about once a week. I keep my camera lens caps on at all times. I'm even super crazy when I swap lenses. I'll cap the camera even for about the 10 seconds it takes for me to swap lenses. No problem with taking care of your pride and joy but show that thing off if you're proud of it. Use it for what it's intended for.

Take care of it. Drive it hard, the way it's built and meant to be enjoyed.

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Steve. I totally understand your point but driving a car is not mistreating it. I love Mustangs. At the end of the day it's a Mustang. Heck, even if I had a Ferrari I doubt I would tape it up for a long trip.

It's a car. Not a piece of art. It would be like buying a camera and going, I really don't want to scratch the lens so I'm going to tape it up while I'm taking pictures. I clean my car about once a week. I keep my camera lens caps on at all times. I'm even super crazy when I swap lenses. I'll cap the camera even for about the 10 seconds it takes for me to swap lenses. No problem with taking care of your pride and joy but show that thing off if you're proud of it. Use it for what it's intended for.

Take care of it. Drive it hard, the way it's built and meant to be enjoyed.

I agree with you, but you're kind of missing my point too. Part of the enjoyment of the experience for me is keeping it nice. I drive my car quite often, granted I don't go very far typically, but thats because I don't leave my area of town very often because everything I need is here. No, I don't drive my car hard right now, but thats because it's slow and that will change here shortly. lol

Part of the enjoyment for me isn't just driving it, but taking care of it. I wipe my car down after everytime I drive it. I frequently will do so when I get to a parking lot or a gas station. I get that this is over the top for most people, especially for those of you who have to drive their cars everyday regardless of weather.

JDBishopArts
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
No I get it. It's great to be proud of it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Midnight11
11-21-2012, 12:02 PM
i just like my shit clean and i worked to hard and spent too much damn money to trash mine up lol

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 12:04 PM
After the 98 Cobra, let's just say I've got a much greater appreciation for my new car. lmao. (Though, I really miss that screaming blower lol)

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 12:05 PM
i just like my shit clean and i worked to hard and spent too much damn money to trash mine up lol

Absolutely. I'm sure after the accident with the last one you appreciate this one much more too.

Midnight11
11-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Absolutely. I'm sure after the accident with the last one you appreciate this one much more too.

gf thinks i dont like this one as much haha

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 12:32 PM

I dig it alot. LOVE the stance. :worthy:

BLK2012GT
11-21-2012, 01:02 PM

I don't either. The other one was better looking.

46Tbird
11-22-2012, 12:03 PM
3500 miles on the new engine.... that's since Sept 25

The car has 27500 on it now (typo in the other post).

hatchttu
11-22-2012, 12:12 PM
I drove mine to Minneapolis and then on to Fargo in July. On the way up I averaged about 27-29 mpg at about 73 mph. I was comfortable the whole way. No different than any other road trip I have taken. No new paint chips and I did a 2 hour detour on dirt roads. I have had it for a year and 2 weeks and haev 26k miles on it. More than I usually do but oh well, I am having fun:) I go to Austin and Houston about 3-4 times a year each. That ends up being about 5-600 miles round trip each.

dallasmike
11-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Drove the mustang to Vegas and back. And about to drive my supercharged camaro to Orlando fl next week and back. Mustang had to have a new windshield in Vegas but zero rock chi son the paint even after the 2300 mile trip. Just drive them. That's part of the fun.

GunsUp
11-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Got home yesterday, Washed her as soon as I unpacked and other than the miles no problems at all.

Really fun roadtrippin' in it. Just had to fight the urge to open it up.

STROKD
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Got home yesterday, Washed her as soon as I unpacked and other than the miles no problems at all.

Really fun roadtrippin' in it. Just had to fight the urge to open it up.

why would you NOT open it up? Thats the point of the open road... I topped my Civic Hybrid out outside of the mountains in Arizona down a huge hill, was fun as hell. I think it hit about 130 in a 3 mile stretch. hahaha friend has it on video of us clowning around. No governor, prob a record for those slow pos cars going down a 20 degree hill for a few miles.

GunsUp
11-24-2012, 08:31 PM
why would you NOT open it up? Thats the point of the open road... I topped my Civic Hybrid out outside of the mountains in Arizona down a huge hill, was fun as hell. I think it hit about 130 in a 3 mile stretch. hahaha friend has it on video of us clowning around. No governor, prob a record for those slow pos cars going down a 20 degree hill for a few miles.

I didn't want to give my 60 year old father a heart attack.

merlinmol
11-25-2012, 01:00 AM
I found it impossible not to open mine up on the way to vegas or back, especially in the mountains.

DirtyD
11-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Shoot, impossible to open mine up. Merging on to I45 at ~100 mph to beat a semi is fun...until you realize the semi has cut you off. :cuss:

STROKD
11-25-2012, 08:26 PM
I didn't want to give my 60 year old father a heart attack.

Your 60 y/o father should NEVER ride with my 60 y/o father... He'd be dead after three turns. He looks at me as the car is in a full drift asking why the revs climb so fast... I'm like dude, can you shift and stare at the gd road!

That said I gave my 80 y/o gp a ride in my hatch and he was all so what's the big deal, I thought you said it was fast... 150 mph later he couldn't wipe the grin off his face all day.