PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Design

Dark Pony
11-15-2012, 08:38 PM
The previous generations of the Mustangs were designed with the mufflers located under the cabin. The newer (05-13), have them located under the trunk area. Being that the setups are a touch different, does anyone know if there is a difference in performance (back pressure etc.) I am considering having a custom exhaust built and prefer that the mufflers be placed where the resonators are located. This is on a 2013. I am also curious how different the sound would be...Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

J

DirtyD
11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Is there enough room for a full size muffler there? I know the resonators are basically side by side before they go over the axle, so unless you are doing a simple flow-through/glass pack setup, I don't think it's doable.

And just fwiw, I'm pretty sure the older gen mustangs, at least 99-04, had the exhaust under the trunk pretty much, at least my friend's V6 does...I know the Cobra didn't because of the IRS

Dark Pony
11-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Well, i dont plan on using a full size muffler. My thoughts were to go with a simple Twister or Bullett. Given the size of a Bullett, they should fit perfect considering they arent much larger than the resonator.

As far as the older gen's, (94-04), the mufflers were more centrally located. My 04 had a Dr Gas Catless X-pipe and a Bassani catback. Those catbacks were designed with the muffler before the axle.

Dark Pony
11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Well, i dont plan on using a full size muffler. My thoughts were to go with a simple Twister or Bullett. Given the size of a Bullett, they should fit perfect considering they arent much larger than the resonator.

As far as the older gen's, (94-04), the mufflers were more centrally located. My 04 had a Dr Gas Catless X-pipe and a Bassani catback. Those catbacks were designed with the muffler before the axle.

DirtyD
11-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't see a problem with running that type of setup then.

Curious how it will sound with a little more pipe behind the muffler vs the stock style setups. should give it a nice deeper tone with less burble.

Dark Pony
11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Appt to get it built the Monday after Thanksgiving weekend. Anxious to hear it myself!

Phuck Phace
11-19-2012, 09:09 PM
I ran a similar setup on my 2007 GT and it sounded good. Had magnapacks installed right in front of the axle.

Dark Pony
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I ran a similar setup on my 2007 GT and it sounded good. Had magnapacks installed right in front of the axle.

Cool! Glad to hear that. I wanted to go a bit unconventional.

Toby
11-20-2012, 02:35 PM
There isn't enough room to fit a full size muffler there. A bullet style will fit no problem. Pypes offer a catback with that design. And actually they sound pretty good on these new 5.0 cars.

DirtyD
11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-mustang2.html

Dark Pony
11-20-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-mustang2.html

Sounds good, but I'm getting the x-pipe built at the same time and I'm not spending anywhere remotely close to list price. I appreciate you providing that link though! Essentially, the setup will be a 3 in x-pipe, Moroso Spintecs in place of the resonators (very comparable to the Pypes setup you just showed me) all in installed. A good friend of mine has been fabricating cars for years and has done the majority of the work on all of my previous vehicles.

DirtyD
11-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Mind me asking where his exhaust shop is? I need to get my over-axle pipe realigned.

Grandpa
11-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Side question, but why are people replacing the resonators with other bullet type mufflers? Is this to change the tone and/or volume or what?

DirtyD
11-20-2012, 11:44 PM
I think the tone would change a little bit having more pipe volume after the muffler. Less rasp probably.

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Less rasp probably.

That would be nice. These mods motors really like to make popping noises which can be a lil annoying.

Dark Pony
11-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Mind me asking where his exhaust shop is? I need to get my over-axle pipe realigned.

It's off of Harmon Rd over here in the FTW/Haslet area. He's not a motor guy, and he'll admit to it, but I've seen this guy build cars like no other. His fabrication skills are top notch.

DirtyD
11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
It's off of Harmon Rd over here in the FTW/Haslet area. He's not a motor guy, and he'll admit to it, but I've seen this guy build cars like no other. His fabrication skills are top notch.

I mainly just need to realign the driver over axle pipe to the guide clip on the mid pipe. When I put my GT500s on my car, it was a fiasco and I had to stop by a shop for and they didn't quite put the OAP back on straight, causing my driver muffler to have a nasty tilt to it

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
I mainly just need to realign the driver over axle pipe to the guide clip on the mid pipe. When I put my GT500s on my car, it was a fiasco and I had to stop by a shop for and they didn't quite put the OAP back on straight, causing my driver muffler to have a nasty tilt to it

Interesting. I thought it was pretty much a straight forward deal to put them on without any complications. Any advice for putting them on?

Dark Pony
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM

That is a bit odd...I've heard a lot guys putting the GT 500's on and haven't had many problems at all. :iranmaybe:

DirtyD
11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
It was straight forward. When Nic and I did it, we did it in his driveway by ourselves, and didn't think of dropping the PHB support brace to allow clearance to slide the hangers in. We were finally able to get the muffler on but couldn't tighten the bolts that held the hanger bracket to the frame. So I took it to an exhaust shop the next day to have them help me out since it would be easier on a lift.

Well once everything was all good to go, the guy that put the OAP back on (they decided it was easier to remove it), I guess didn't realize that there's a reasoning to the guide being there. So now my driver side muffler has a slight downward angle, and sticks out a little further than the passenger...

I apologize for the big picture and thread jack, but in this picture, you can tell the difference...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8055/8092226892_e2790ed07f_b.jpg

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
What did you guys use to break the metal tab thing? I've seen some people use a dremel, but being back by the gas tank I don't think it's the smartest idea. lol.

DirtyD
11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
metal tab? what you talking about, stevie?

Grandpa
11-21-2012, 12:27 PM
metal tab? what you talking about, stevie?

There is a metal tab on the muffler that attaches to the over the axle pipe you have to cut/break in order to get them loose.

BLK2012GT
11-21-2012, 12:36 PM
It was straight forward. When Nic and I did it, we did it in his driveway by ourselves, and didn't think of dropping the PHB support brace to allow clearance to slide the hangers in. We were finally able to get the muffler on but couldn't tighten the bolts that held the hanger bracket to the frame. So I took it to an exhaust shop the next day to have them help me out since it would be easier on a lift.

Well once everything was all good to go, the guy that put the OAP back on (they decided it was easier to remove it), I guess didn't realize that there's a reasoning to the guide being there. So now my driver side muffler has a slight downward angle, and sticks out a little further than the passenger...

I apologize for the big picture and thread jack, but in this picture, you can tell the difference...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8055/8092226892_e2790ed07f_b.jpg

Is it me or does that say 6.0 on the side? I think we have a traitor among us guys.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:

DirtyD
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Is it me or does that say 6.0 on the side? I think we have a traitor among us guys.:ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:
Glare and picture distortion. Or it may be a rare factory, bored and stroked 366. :favorites37:

BLK2012GT
11-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Lol