PDA

View Full Version : The Beginning Of A Car Show: DFW5.0s Style

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
"Karz For Kidz" or "Kars For Kids" or "Cars For Kids" (take your pick)

Basically, the idea is simple. A car show held in mid-Fall (late Oct.-mid Nov.) in which admission, and/or show registration fees be a new, unopened toy to be donated to Toys For Tots in time for Christmas.

A guy on SVTP has apparently already started a show of this nature in his area, and had great success on his first show, about 65 cars. I don't know what classes were open, but obviously we can decide that.

Having a "Picture With Santa" booth, and possibly a few other kid oriented things would help to make it family friendly, and possibly a "People's Choice Award" for the attendees to get involved.

I figured with the local performance and custom shops we have connections with, along with some of the vendors we have, we could find a way to start one of our own here in DFW. Affiliation with other boards probably wouldn't hurt to get donations or exposure, but this is just brain storming right now.

So what do you guys think? I say we try and make it happen. :High 5:

Phuck Phace
10-24-2012, 09:31 AM
That's cool, I'm down.

JDBishopArts
10-24-2012, 11:21 AM
If you need any help organizing it I wouldn't mind. I ran 2 "toyz for tots" car shows before. We could try to get some vendors to come out too. Wonder if UTI could help.

03MachMe
10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
If we do it in the city of Richardson I might be able to talk to my FOP into helping with the sponsorship. I like the idea a lot tho!!

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Hell yes, let's do it. Cruisin For A Cause!

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
If you need any help organizing it I wouldn't mind. I ran 2 "toyz for tots" car shows before. We could try to get some vendors to come out too. Wonder if UTI could help.
I thought about getting with Jared at Ricekiller once we knew more details. I know that he isn't really well recieved in the car community around here, but he has some big time hook ups that would be a big help in possibly scoring a venue and other sponsors.

If we do it in the city of Richardson I might be able to talk to my FOP into helping with the sponsorship. I like the idea a lot tho!!
Definitely a possibilty. Would also be nice to have a little security there in case we have some rather immature people being just that...

03MachMe
10-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I thought about getting with Jared at Ricekiller once we knew more details. I know that he isn't really well recieved in the car community around here, but he has some big time hook ups that would be a big help in possibly scoring a venue and other sponsors.

Definitely a possibilty. Would also be nice to have a little security there in case we have some rather immature people being just that...

Im sure Jared wont help you unless you plaster the Ricekiller name everywhere.....

Plus if it has Police associated with it the majority of the scum dont bother to show up. may limit our attendance but would be a better quality of people

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM

I think we all would really need to GTG and discuss this. That would be a horrible move in my opinion. His name being involved at all will instantly chase people away and DFW50's will lose instant credibility. If Jared is involved in any form or fashion, I certainly will not be.

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Im sure Jared wont help you unless you plaster the Ricekiller name everywhere.....
For awhile he was associated with the truck club I was a member of in Houston with getting together RKC meets down there. The huge ricer scene eventually killed the meet, and the truck club fell apart not long after.

I think he would help us, because that would then be a return for him and RKC as being a charity liking group, which is a PR plus for him.

Plus if it has Police associated with it the majority of the scum dont bother to show up. may limit our attendance but would be a better quality of people
This is true. :High 5:

03MachMe
10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I think we all would really need to GTG and discuss this. That would be a horrible move in my opinion. His name being involved at all will instantly chase people away and DFW50's will lose instant credibility. If Jared is involved in any form or fashion, I certainly will not be.

agreed I cant put my FOP name with Ricekiller sorry

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 12:04 PM

Agreed 100%.

Being involved with the city of Richardson would be an excellent move giving the event credibility and giving attendees confidence the toys will go where they are suppose to.

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
As far as having an older more respectable showing of cars, leaving him out would definitely be a plus.

But like I said before, this is brainstorming. I figured we could try and at least tap into his well of sponsors to get something out of it. :D Kind of use him.

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Agreed 100%.

Being involved with the city of Richardson would be an excellent move giving the event credibility and giving attendees confidence the toys will go where they are suppose to.
Agreed. You guys win. :o

JDBishopArts
10-24-2012, 12:14 PM
We can get plenty of sponsors and cars with out him.

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Agreed. You guys win. :o

Not beating you down D. I think it's AWESOME you are thinking and getting something going for DFW50's. We really need to get something going. I think we just need to attach ourselves to solid things with good reputation in order to build ourselves into a legitmate club.

Without bashing, Jared is very well aware of his challenges due to the reputation that he and RKC have these days. Four or five years ago, RKC was pretty fun, lots of racing action and good videos going around the web. But now, it's mostly very young ricer kids that fill his parking lots of his meets. More often than not, they ruin the meets and bring a negative attention from local police departments.

We want to work WITH local authorities and cities for our functions, not work against them. :)

Let's keep brainstorming and do something great!

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
We can get plenty of sponsors and cars with out him.
I know lots of guys in the Lightning community of whom I know wouldn't mind spreading the word and help out. One of the guys does graphic design for a living, and I'm sure he could make us a SICK flyer/poster come time.

Some of his work...

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k346/dirtyd88/charlie1_zpsa72e4ee0.jpg
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k346/dirtyd88/charlie2_zps11042083.jpg

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Wow, those look good! If we are going to do something, we need to get moving on it because it's almost November already! Securing a location/date, sponsors and then advertising it so people show up! lol.

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Wow, those look good! If we are going to do something, we need to get moving on it because it's almost November already! Securing a location/date, sponsors and then advertising it so people show up! lol.
I figured it's too late this year to do something, unless we try to do a spring show instead of a fall show...

Definitely need to scout some venue locations though, ones that can handle a good amount of people, and aren't straight cramped, like Cars & Coffee....

I wonder if Jerry "Give Me Your Money" Jones would allow the use of one of the Cowboys parking lots for this....:lol:

Midnight11
10-24-2012, 12:56 PM
im down to do something and yes on our own too. dont need jared's help

03MachMe
10-24-2012, 01:11 PM
I figured it's too late this year to do something, unless we try to do a spring show instead of a fall show...

Definitely need to scout some venue locations though, ones that can handle a good amount of people, and aren't straight cramped, like Cars & Coffee....

I wonder if Jerry "Give Me Your Money" Jones would allow the use of one of the Cowboys parking lots for this....:lol:

agreed it is prolly too late for a cars for toys or w/e show this year but would not be a bad idea to get planning for a spring show then a late fall show. Having a show twice a year would be nice.

If we are going to involve my FOP it would have to be in Richardson but if we cant do Richardson its no big deal. Breckenridge Park has many different parking lots and most of which are good size. I'm sure I could talk to the Parks department and see if we could reserve a lot for a day. If not there are a TON of business parking lots in Richardson and I'm willing to bet one would be willing to let us use the parking lot in turn for using the business as part of the advertisement.

Quake5.0
10-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I am sorry but the fact I have the same FIRST name as Jared of dipshit fame from Ricekillers is gross! He is the biggest tool on 2 feet!

Quake5.0
10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I am getting with the owner of delaney's here in McKinney about a kind of cars & coffee kind of thing but with a lot more fun. There is a crap load of insane cars up here. They have a great breakfast and brunch and the specials we are thinking about would be great for the whole family. Plus I have a good friend in the sheriffs office and fire dept. Plus being a member of the Chamber of Commerce here in McKinney is huge!

Thoughts?

Phuck Phace
10-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I am getting with the owner of delaney's here in McKinney about a kind of cars & coffee kind of thing but with a lot more fun. There is a crap load of insane cars up here. They have a great breakfast and brunch and the specials we are thinking about would be great for the whole family. Plus I have a good friend in the sheriffs office and fire dept. Plus being a member of the Chamber of Commerce here in McKinney is huge!

Thoughts?

You talking about the pub with the bartender that has tiggobitties?
I like that place.

Quake5.0
10-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah she is a friend. Jamon her meaness is just as big!!!!:mfr_omg:

BLK2012GT
10-24-2012, 03:11 PM
You talking about the pub with the bartender that has tiggobitties?
I like that place.

And only you would know that.

Kronis
10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Jerry Jones is a big supporter of Toys for Tots. Would probably be worth an email, to be honest.

jayman33
10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Awesome guys, too bad I'm not close by to give a helping hand. Let me know if you guys need anything on this end.

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Jerry Jones is a big supporter of Toys for Tots. Would probably be worth an email, to be honest.
It might be. Once we start settling in on ideas, dates, etc, we can move forward with contacting people for venues.

Awesome guys, too bad I'm not close by to give a helping hand. Let me know if you guys need anything on this end.
A few door prize options or awards prizes probably wouldn't hurt.

Quake5.0
10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Yeah,..........Jerry Jones........ let me think........He can't even own a good football team! Why in the name of Zuss's BUTTHOLE would you ever want his nasty ass anywhere close?

:lewx4:

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
In my opinion, not taking advantage of Ryan's resources would be a shame. Having the ability to have the city on our side for a function would not only make it legal in everyway, but also lend the support we need to attract the right type of people to the event in the first place. Permission to use the park from the city, permits and having them attend in someway would go a long way with the public. We aren't a bunch of street racing punks causing chaos, but rather having a family oriented car show with other car people and the support of the police department to help some kids!

Trying to do anything with the Dallas Cowboys would be a waste of time, I think. They have companies all over the world constantly contacting them for charity events. I'm sure there would be a ton of red tape and our request would fall on some deaf ears for a first year car show.

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Yeah,..........Jerry Jones........ let me think........He can't even own a good football team! Why in the name of Zuss's BUTTHOLE would you ever want his nasty ass anywhere close?

:lewx4:
I'm not a Jerry Jones fan either, but having the event at Cowboys Stadium would 1) give us the ALL the space we could want, 2) bring in A TON of people if they knew the Cowboys were affiliated with it, and 3) possibly even have some players/high profile people come out themselves. You never know. It might work, it might not. As my Dad told me when I was younger, "You don't know until you ask."

Midnight11
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
In my opinion, not taking advantage of Ryan's resources would be a shame. Having the ability to have the city on our side for a function would not only make it legal in everyway, but also lend the support we need to attract the right type of people to the event in the first place. Permission to use the park from the city, permits and having them attend in someway would go a long way with the public. We aren't a bunch of street racing punks causing chaos, but rather having a family oriented car show with other car people and the support of the police department to help some kids!

Trying to do anything with the Dallas Cowboys would be a waste of time, I think. They have companies all over the world constantly contacting them for charity events. I'm sure there would be a ton of red tape and our request would fall on some deaf ears for a first year car show.
i agree. if ryan wants to get some info and talk to the right people im down to have it there.
I'm not a Jerry Jones fan either, but having the event at Cowboys Stadium would 1) give us the ALL the space we could want, 2) bring in A TON of people if they knew the Cowboys were affiliated with it, and 3) possibly even have some players/high profile people come out themselves. You never know. It might work, it might not. As my Dad told me when I was younger, "You don't know until you ask."
i live right by the stadium and since it was built i have seen 0 car shows there...

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm sure there would be a ton of red tape and our request would fall on some deaf ears for a first year car show.

This will most likely happen, but like I said above, don't know until you're told no.

But Ryan is definitely the first choice to go through to start getting stuff take care of.

Plus, I'm sure there will be playground equipment at the park, so kids would be occupied there too

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
i live right by the stadium and since it was built i have seen 0 car shows there...
I haven't seen any either...doesn't mean there can't be ever.

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
The problem I've found in past experiences holding car shows, a lot of places will shy away from events like ours because of the liability issues. Some places will even require us to have our own liability insurance for the event which is very costly.

That's why a place like the city with a connection like Ryan, or one of our sponsors allowing us to use their parking lots are usually the most likely places events happen.

Phuck Phace
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Let's try out the Richardson idea, if that doesn't work we will have it at BabyDolls next time.

Midnight11
10-24-2012, 04:08 PM
im fine with the richardson idea

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 04:11 PM
I think a Richardson public park will work just fine for our first event. No telling what the turnout will be, hell, right now we have an issue getting the group together on a regular basis and getting everyone to show up! lol.

Phuck Phace
10-24-2012, 04:15 PM
...hell, right now we have an issue getting the group together on a regular basis and getting everyone to show up! lol.

You're right, let's have a gtg next weekend after C&C.

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 04:22 PM
You're right, let's have a gtg next weekend after C&C.

We'll have to check on the weather on that one. Its suppose to get cold and rainy in the next week. That's also the same day as the DFWM Cruise for those of you thinking about going to the track for that event.

You and Jeff got your cars all nicely modded up just in time for the cold weather and the end of car show season! lol.

Midnight11
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
steve never wants to drive anywhere lol

DirtyD
10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Here is the thread I mentioned on SVTP. Just was able to find it again.

Looking for Car Show Ideas (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/888402-looking-ideas-my-car-show.html)

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 04:34 PM
steve never wants to drive anywhere lol

Haha, not true at all. I drive this car WAY more than I did my 93 Cobra. I've put 5k miles on this car in 6 months where it took me over 5 YEARS to do that on my 93! :favorites37:

I'll drive to where ever to support this boards functions. If it's in Arlington, I'll go, I'll bitch and moan about it, but I'll go. Hahaha. (arlington sucks big donkey cawk!)

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Here is the thread I mentioned on SVTP. Just was able to find it again.

Looking for Car Show Ideas (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/888402-looking-ideas-my-car-show.html)

I posted and added some experienced input. :)

03MachMe
10-24-2012, 04:55 PM
I'll start sending some emails out when I go back to work next week. Not sure what kind of permit or red tape I will have to go through but I'm sure someone at the department will know the right people to talk to.

Kronis
10-24-2012, 04:59 PM
My old car club back when I had my first car, a Honda, used to meet at Papa's BBQ on the first Sunday of every month. Pretty good BBQ and lots of parking space. They don't mind car meets as long as you give them some business.

Grandpa
10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
My old car club back when I had my first car, a Honda, used to meet at Papa's BBQ on the first Sunday of every month. Pretty good BBQ and lots of parking space. They don't mind car meets as long as you give them some business.

Yup, cool place, decent food and centrally located. We had a few meets there years ago too.

Bearded Banger
10-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Richardson is too long a drive for me :bleh:

juiced86stang
10-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Richardson would be great but I'm down for whatever.

03MachMe
10-28-2012, 01:48 PM
talked to the city director of community services yesterday while working a part time and talked a little about the show. He gave me the name of who to contact if we want to do it at a park but also suggested I contact the person who runs the Post East side complex (SE corner of Campbell and 75). He told me that she is always looking for events to have in the main area. If you have never been over there they have numerous restaurants with the apartments above them and a large parking area that surrounds a fountain and small grass area. I think it would a perfect area for a show. Also talked to my FOP vice president and he said it sounded like a good idea as many of our board members are former Marines and he even said he could probably get with some friends that are still in and have them come out as well. so sounds like having it in Richardson would be really easy if we want to go that way

Midnight11
10-28-2012, 04:21 PM
awesome works for me

Phuck Phace
10-28-2012, 05:11 PM
awesome works for me

DirtyD
10-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Great! Thanks for getting that checked out, Ryan! Now I guess the planning starts!

Midnight11
10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
awesome works for me

:shooter::shooter:

jayman33
10-29-2012, 01:29 PM
It might be. Once we start settling in on ideas, dates, etc, we can move forward with contacting people for venues.

A few door prize options or awards prizes probably wouldn't hurt.

Just let me know what you guys are looking for.