PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Popping

Fonzy7189
10-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Hey all,

I've had an annoying ongoing issue, I've ignored it for a while and finally I just wanted to see if anyone had ideas. When launching from a stop there seems to be a slight pop from the rear end. This doesn't happen on bumps though. There is also a clunk from what sounds like the driveshaft when putting in the clutch to shift (doesn't occur every time). Any ideas? I've had rear LCAs and lowering springs done.

JDMLOL
10-21-2014, 07:21 PM
The u joints may be binding up if you're too low without a uca. That's a shot in the dark though.

Monolith
10-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Clunking while releasing the clutch definitely sounds like either U joints or excessive backlash....as long as it doesn't make the clunk when decelerating too...then I would say worn gears. If you haven't had any work done on the rear diff recently then I'm going to say U joints...

NAVAG
10-21-2014, 09:19 PM
One time it wasn't specific to anything other than going over a bump. It was because one of the jam nuts on my panhard bar came loose. A little blue loc-tite and put some stank on it when tightening it back up and it hasn't been a problem.

The other time was after replacing the axleback. I left the muffler hangers on and took the panhard bar and panhard bar mount off lowered the sway bar out of the way to pull the mufflers backwards out of the mounts. (which to me is easier than fighting with the muffler mounts) a few weeks later I started hearing a knocking noise, especially when the car's body shifts under a load either when stomping on the gas or hard braking. I guess I didn't have everything tight enough when I reassembled it. After greasing and retorquing the bolts on the sway bar mounts and panhard bar the knocking noise went away.

blownaltered
11-07-2014, 05:18 PM
:rondod:

Texaschwag
02-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Could be the rear diff bushing. At least this was my issue and it is now resolved after installing this weekend. will eventually need it, especially if you are making passes with the car.

I can post some pics if you like. The car is rock solid now.

Posted a couple of pics below.

Texaschwag
02-09-2015, 10:13 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WerJPbc51taTNhM2h5U09sMXM/view?usp=sharing

Texaschwag
02-09-2015, 10:15 AM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3WerJPbc51tQXdXbzN3U2MzeEk/view?usp=sharing

Fonzy7189
02-18-2015, 10:59 AM
I found out what it was about a couple months ago, just never updated. One of the Panhard Bar jam nuts came loose. Tightened it down, everything is solid now. Thanks all!

TxGt1
02-18-2015, 05:38 PM
I'm Glad it was something simple. I had some popping like that once and it was my diff.