PDA

View Full Version : Ice mode

El_Tortuga
07-20-2014, 09:20 AM
Anybody know the ins and outs of ice mode?

Went into it 3 times yesterday @ BMW autocross (TMS bus lot=slick and slide able ). Kind of a fun sucker and a big driving distraction. Running with full TC/stab control turned off, yet it dropped into ice mode 3 times. Fellow competitor with same car (14 track pack) had the same issue.

I'd like to know what triggers it,if it's something I can avoid with a driving style or what it would take to prevent.

Lucky13
07-20-2014, 09:38 AM
What's ice mode?

Dominic Toretto
07-20-2014, 10:42 AM
What's ice mode?

+1

-Alex

donutninja
07-20-2014, 11:51 AM
I have a V6 base but I've experienced this more with TRaction Control off and Stability Control on. Though I have had it happen with everything off, too. Apparently is has everything to do with the ABS. TMS Bus Lot is really slippery so if you brake exceptionally hard and start to slide, the car thinks you are on Ice. Apparently The intervals at which ABS brakes stop the wheel are way too fast for ice conditions so the ABS tried to compensate. I've also experienced it AFTER an AutoX when on the drive home. Kinda odd... But maybe the system is still "worried"

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/392890

I don't think there is anything we can do about it other than brake sooner :/

El_Tortuga
07-22-2014, 12:52 PM
What's ice mode?

Even with Traction Control turned completely off, ABS is still going. If it thinks ice (apparently too much slippage too fast), it jumps in and kills the amount of brake. Road course folks have had offs due to this. I just ended up way deeper than intended. Once it goes into "ice" mode I don't think you can get out of it other than turning the car off.

I think it also reengages some TC or stability control. It jumped in HARD, chirping the tires a couple of times when I was accellerating hard and had a nice drift going.

Might be some cumulative triggers in the background. I've done 10-11 autocross with this car now, and its only happened during the 2 "hot lap" style events (NTAX, BMW). Pretty sure the surface is a contributor. 1st time was COLD (NTAX winter = sub 40), and Saturday was a slick sealed asphalt surface.

I've gotten some other feedback similar to Ninja, i.e. try to be less aggressive on the brakes on these surfaces to try and keep it from engaging.

Lucky13
07-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Even with Traction Control turned completely off, ABS is still going. If it thinks ice (apparently too much slippage too fast), it jumps in and kills the amount of brake. Road course folks have had offs due to this. I just ended up way deeper than intended. Once it goes into "ice" mode I don't think you can get out of it other than turning the car off.

I think it also reengages some TC or stability control. It jumped in HARD, chirping the tires a couple of times when I was accellerating hard and had a nice drift going.

Might be some cumulative triggers in the background. I've done 10-11 autocross with this car now, and its only happened during the 2 "hot lap" style events (NTAX, BMW). Pretty sure the surface is a contributor. 1st time was COLD (NTAX winter = sub 40), and Saturday was a slick sealed asphalt surface.

I've gotten some other feedback similar to Ninja, i.e. try to be less aggressive on the brakes on these surfaces to try and keep it from engaging.
What indicates this is happening? Nanny light of some kind?

DirtyD
07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Talk with Terry Fair. He may know something about it. I know some people have went and bought the Boss 302R/S ABS module that I think is supposed to eliminate this problem.

El_Tortuga
07-22-2014, 06:35 PM
What indicates this is happening? Nanny light of some kind?

Second stab/traction control light comes on, and stays on.