PDA

View Full Version : Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Crimson600+HP
05-11-2014, 09:22 PM
After doing a lot of reading, this is the best combination out there it seems. It is not going to be fast at all, but this thing will tow better than almost all gasser engines and will return better mileage.

I love my Tundra, but 15 MPG daily driving it and 8-9 towing with it are killer. Many people are getting 23-25 daily driving the Ram with a crew cab model, with many getting over 27 on the highway and around the 15 mark towing. It's a new engine choice, but paired with that ZF 8 speed seem to be a great pair.

Thinking about trading in my truck now. Anyone here have any experience or know anybody with this option?

re-rx7
05-11-2014, 09:24 PM
After doing a lot of reading, this is the best combination out there it seems. It is not going to be fast at all, but this thing will tow better than almost all gasser engines and will return better mileage.

I love my Tundra, but 15 MPG daily driving it and 8-9 towing with it are killer. Many people are getting 23-25 daily driving the Ram with a crew cab model, with many getting over 27 on the highway and around the 15 mark towing. It's a new engine choice, but paired with that ZF 8 speed seem to be a great pair.

Thinking about trading in my truck now. Anyone here have any experience or know anybody with this option?

The new Eco will be out soon. Also the option for that motor is just insane price wise. You will never recoup the cost.

Zeek
05-11-2014, 10:05 PM
Tune that sucker and you'd be really well off. I'm pretty sure its the same diesel they put in a couple jeeps like 3 years ago.

rlhay2
05-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Many people are getting 23-25 daily driving the Ram with a crew cab model, with many getting over 27 on the highway and around the 15 mark towing.

You will never recoup the cost.

What is the price difference for the Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel?
Stating you cannot recoup the cost and not sharing any data is inconclusive?

re-rx7
05-11-2014, 10:27 PM
The option is around 3 grand. The diesal is where you never make up the cost. Diesal is considerably more then gasoline.

JDMLOL
05-11-2014, 10:34 PM
The option is around 3 grand. The diesal is where you never make up the cost. Diesal is considerably more then gasoline.

Diesal?

DirtyD
05-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Buy an older cummins 6bt and just do a few of the standard mods to it. Will get you a little less mileage, but will tow much easier and probably better. Dodge's setup with the rear coil springs just doesn't seem tow happy to me.

JDMLOL
05-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't dump a Toyota, Ford or Chevy for a Mopar. I would wait and see what Ford brings to the table as far as gas mileage when they switch to the all aluminum body.

DirtyD
05-11-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm really holding out for Ford to offer a small displacement diesel motor in the next generation superduty. It's known they have already dropped the 6.2, so I can easily see an adapted smaller diesel from their cab-over trucks probably make their way into the truck as an entry level motor under the 6.7

downtime!
05-11-2014, 11:46 PM
After towing a 5500 pound load 2500 miles last week, and getting a high of 16 MPG and a low of 13.6, I'm seriously liking the 4.6 in the '09 F-150. Fuel is cheaper, and none of the associated maintenance of having a diesel powered truck.

re-rx7
05-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Diesal?
lol you got me:mf_pcwhack:
Personally I wouldn't dump a Toyota, Ford or Chevy for a Mopar. I would wait and see what Ford brings to the table as far as gas mileage when they switch to the all aluminum body.
this.
I'm really holding out for Ford to offer a small displacement diesel motor in the next generation superduty. It's known they have already dropped the 6.2, so I can easily see an adapted smaller diesel from their cab-over trucks probably make their way into the truck as an entry level motor under the 6.7

NOt happening. There was a interview they did in motortrend not long back with Ford and they blatantly said they had no reason to offer a small diesel.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 12:00 AM
lol you got me:mf_pcwhack:

this.

NOt happening. There was a interview they did in motortrend not long back with Ford and they blatantly said they had no reason to offer a small diesel.

Market trend will change their mind. They already have a handful of small diesels to adapt for trucks, so only time will tell when they cave.

PLASMAN
05-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Market trend will change their mind. They already have a handful of small diesels to adapt for trucks, so only time will tell when they cave.

With the ecoboost truck outdoing all the competitors and ford v8 motors, and the price of gas vs diesel there would be know reason to consider a small diesel. They don't need to waste the money on R&D with the ecoboost hit on there hands.

Crimson600+HP
05-12-2014, 12:44 AM
3k is easily recouped when the truck is a DD. The difference between 15 mpg on DD duty and 25 MPG is fairly significant. Plus, diesel is the price of premium fuel down here so I don't see the big difference in price. A 3/4 ton is too large for my applications and finding a 5.9 that hasn't been chopped up by a redneck is impossible/expensive.

The next gen diesels in 1/2 tons are going to be the 5.0L Cummins. 300 HP and 500 TQ is not going to get above 25 MPG on the highway either. Too big of an engine to be a fuel efficient & if it isn't FE you wine as well get a 3/4 ton. The only thing that will force Chevy or Ford to get in the diesel game is if Dodge makes a killing on this EcoDiesel, which in the first month 8,000 orders flooded the market and they can't keep up with the demand (they being VM who builds the engine).

Plus, real world application of the 3.5L ecoboost hasn't proved IMO that it saves gas at all during towing (http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150/gas%20v6/truck). I think Ram hit the balance well and is the reason why I'm considering. Plus the interiors on the trucks (all top line models in every brand except Nissan) are pretty top notch.

Zeek
05-12-2014, 01:48 AM
I bet people will see 30+MPG with the Ecodiesel Rams on the highway after there tuned. Ripout all the emissions crap and viola with the 8 speed auto that thing is going to turn like 1200 or less rpms at 65mph it will be like 400hp 850tq! With the diesels the higher you turn them up the better mpg you get.

rlhay2
05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
To me, it really comes down to the following:

If you will never tow nor haul a heavy load. (i.e. typical truck use), then the nod goes to the Ecoboost F150.

But...

If you do tow or haul heavy loads (i.e. travel trailer, car hauler, etc..) the Ram Diesel should be strongly considered.

Considerably more?!?! Diesel cost 10% more than regular fuel in the current market.

And for that 10% fuel surcharge, the owner gets 30-50% better fuel economy.

Oil changes are more expensive but longevity is also generally better.

3k is easily recouped when the truck is a DD. The difference between 15 mpg on DD duty and 25 MPG is fairly significant.

The only thing that will force Chevy or Ford to get in the diesel game is if Dodge makes a killing on this EcoDiesel

Bingo!

I bet people will see 30+MPG with the Ecodiesel Rams on the highway after there tuned.

My 7000lb 3/4 ton gets 22 MPH on the highway. Thus 30 MPG from a 1/2 ton is not at all preposterous.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
With the ecoboost truck outdoing all the competitors and ford v8 motors, and the price of gas vs diesel there would be know reason to consider a small diesel. They don't need to waste the money on R&D with the ecoboost hit on there hands.
The EB has been amazing, but it still doesn't stand up to a diesel IMO. And the EB hasn't really been out doing a lot of the gas V8 competition. If we lived in a higher elevation and not so close to see level, it would be the EB over any V8 hands down. But here there isn't much of a gap. I still stand behind the thought that Ford could succeed quite well with a small diesel in a light duty or 3/4 ton truck.

However, it appears the 4.5L V6 Powerstroke they were using in the LCF trucks, which is the ones I was referring to, was discontinued in 2010. Oh well.

Crimson600+HP
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I think every automaker could benefit from a small diesel in a light duty truck. I think Ram got the size and power output right, vs. what Cummins is going to shove in the the Nissan/Toyota. Virtually, don't improve the towing capabilities or power of the current 1/2 tons, just make them more fuel efficient while keeping costs relatively down.

Inserting a 300HP+ diesel into a light duty truck is going to flirt real close to the prices of a similar trim leveled 3/4 ton which isn't the answer. At that point, just pony the extra couple grand and get the big boy truck. As far as the EB engines, I believe they are great performers, but being fuel efficient...no. Proof is in the numbers and most people are averaging 15-17 which is what V8's get.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 02:34 PM
The main reason I see someone buying a EB over a normal V8 is for towing because the TQ curve on those motors is insane, and comes in so low in the RPM. Plus if you lived at higher elevation, where the turbos make up for the air density loss.

re-rx7
05-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Well I dont see Ford being to worried about it. Dodge never gets within sniffing distance of their sales anyway. You guys are talking Diesal prices now not in the future. The past has shown us that they do go up considerably. The Eb is an easier alternative to diesal and makes alot of Tq down low as well. Most people dont pull enough with a 1/2 ton to warrant a diesal. Most will upgrade to a 3/4 ton and call it a day. ITs a marketing gimmick.

re-rx7
05-12-2014, 04:00 PM
I think every automaker could benefit from a small diesel in a light duty truck. I think Ram got the size and power output right, vs. what Cummins is going to shove in the the Nissan/Toyota. Virtually, don't improve the towing capabilities or power of the current 1/2 tons, just make them more fuel efficient while keeping costs relatively down.

Inserting a 300HP+ diesel into a light duty truck is going to flirt real close to the prices of a similar trim leveled 3/4 ton which isn't the answer. At that point, just pony the extra couple grand and get the big boy truck. As far as the EB engines, I believe they are great performers, but being fuel efficient...no. Proof is in the numbers and most people are averaging 15-17 which is what V8's get.

It may be getting close to that MPG but the real adavantage is the Tq delivery when a load is being pulled. Look at the TQ peak of the EB vs the V8 comp. Hell look at where most of it is avail.

JDMLOL
05-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Proof is in the numbers and most people are averaging 15-17 which is what V8's get.

I'm sorry but this is dead wrong. My dad's fx2 gets ~19 plus or minus .5 mpg avg with heavy city driving and 22 or more on the hwy. The all aluminum f150 should yield higher with the 3.5 and even higher with the 2.7. Plus the damn thing tows an almost 22 foot bass boat with a helmet head 225 evinrude like there's nothing there. Even then it's yielding 16-17 mpg when my 2008 5.3/4l60e ecsb silverado was yielding between high single digits and 11 mpg.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 07:35 PM
Not all EBs are getting those results though. That is why people are still hardpressed to believe the hype. Some are having amazing luck, others aren't.

Crimson600+HP
05-12-2014, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry but this is dead wrong. My dad's fx2 gets ~19 plus or minus .5 mpg avg with heavy city driving and 22 or more on the hwy. The all aluminum f150 should yield higher with the 3.5 and even higher with the 2.7. Plus the damn thing tows an almost 22 foot bass boat with a helmet head 225 evinrude like there's nothing there. Even then it's yielding 16-17 mpg when my 2008 5.3/4l60e ecsb silverado was yielding between high single digits and 11 mpg.

I understand a couple people are getting decent mileage with their EB. But being a statistics guy, I look at averages with a decent pool to pull data from. Based on the information at fuelly (which everyday people update their fuel consumption via text), the EB trucks average in the 15's.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150/gas%20v6/truck

That is proof, no heresay or "that one time I got XX MPG and that is what I will tell everyone because I don't want to be wrong about the vehicle I bought."

JDMLOL
05-12-2014, 09:18 PM
There are so many hidden variables with fuelly from what I can see. For starters, there is no distinguishment between the EB and the 3.7L N/A v6 on the filters. Next, there is no distinguishment between 4wd, 2wd, what kind of work the truck is being used for, driving style, or if the truck is lifted on 37's. Unless the user happens to have a crappy pic of their truck. All I can tell you is that I can hop in my dad's truck, get on the interstate and have absolutely no problem getting 20+ mpg all day long.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 09:26 PM
I understand a couple people are getting decent mileage with their EB. But being a statistics guy, I look at averages with a decent pool to pull data from. Based on the information at fuelly (which everyday people update their fuel consumption via text), the EB trucks average in the 15's.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150/gas%20v6/truck

That is proof, no heresay or "that one time I got XX MPG and that is what I will tell everyone because I don't want to be wrong about the vehicle I bought."

There are so many hidden variables with fuelly from what I can see. For starters, there is no distinguishment between the EB and the 3.7L N/A v6 on the filters. Next, there is no distinguishment between 4wd, 2wd, what kind of work the truck is being used for, driving style, or if the truck is lifted on 37's. Unless the user happens have a crappy pic of their truck. All I can tell you is that I can hop in my dad's truck, get on the interstate and have absolutely no problem getting 20+ mpg all day long.
The F150 boards are a good source for what real EB owners are seeing. I know awhile back there was a big stink rising about people not getting the mileage Ford was claiming.

It's not just F150s though, because there have been a number of people with EB explorers and escapes that have the same complaint.

JDMLOL
05-12-2014, 09:29 PM
My dad is a REAL EB owner. We've been pleased with what kind of mpg it yields coming from four different 5.3/4l60e GM vehicles.

re-rx7
05-12-2014, 09:51 PM
No other truck can match that truck lb for lb. All that tq down low. LS motor forgetta bout it. This new truck from Ford is a game changer. Why do you think Chevy is doin the samething in 2018? I see the edit police are out.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Have no idea who edited it. I noticed my response is gone too. lol

JDMLOL
05-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Somebody called the troll patrol.

Grandpa
05-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Somebody called the troll patrol.

Yep. I dont do anything about it unless someone complains. Rx7 has been on a tear again the last couple of days. Needs to chill or its break time again. Haha.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 11:13 PM
I just told him to go troll Steve. Lol

re-rx7
05-12-2014, 11:13 PM
Yep. I dont do anything about it unless someone complains. Rx7 has been on a tear again the last couple of days. Needs to chill or its break time again. Haha.

Big fucking babies. I swear you would think everyone on here is a badass but they get butthurt by any little thing. I also dont see how anything I typed was trollish in nature.

DirtyD
05-12-2014, 11:25 PM
Big fucking babies. I swear you would think everyone on here is a badass but they get butthurt by any little thing. I also dont see how anything I typed was trollish in nature.

I didn't do anything about it. I was just going to say you spelled "you" wrong. Ha

re-rx7
05-12-2014, 11:37 PM
I didn't do anything about it. I was just going to say you spelled "you" wrong. Ha

He has this fettish with me or sumthin. :party36:

Crimson600+HP
05-13-2014, 12:33 AM
There are so many hidden variables with fuelly from what I can see. For starters, there is no distinguishment between the EB and the 3.7L N/A v6 on the filters. Next, there is no distinguishment between 4wd, 2wd, what kind of work the truck is being used for, driving style, or if the truck is lifted on 37's. Unless the user happens to have a crappy pic of their truck. All I can tell you is that I can hop in my dad's truck, get on the interstate and have absolutely no problem getting 20+ mpg all day long.

The pool of data doesn't distinguish all that true. But it is safe to say that ford didn't sell too many 3.7l v6 F150s in 2013, an overwhelming majority will be the EB judging on the profile photos. To have a loaded test where only 2wd or 4wd is what I don't want. I want to see the average from all over America because that is how getting averages work. Don't want data from trucks in a vacuum.

I think forums are the worst place to get the truth, particularly with domestic brand forums. Most people are brand loyal (which I am not) & won't admit when they have a vehicle that gets beat by someone else. All I know is I won't buy an EB based on what I believe are poor results in terms of fuel economy. Towing performance, yes I think it produces the best numbers. However, I still have my doubts on longevity of those engines vs a tradition NA V8.

Crimson600+HP
05-13-2014, 12:43 AM
http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram%201500/2014/diesel%20v6

This truck has only been out since February. But it has some fuel logs in fuelly. Across the board, numbers are in the 20s. Just an unbiased reporting website.

re-rx7
05-13-2014, 04:03 AM
The pool of data doesn't distinguish all that true. But it is safe to say that ford didn't sell too many 3.7l v6 F150s in 2013, an overwhelming majority will be the EB judging on the profile photos. To have a loaded test where only 2wd or 4wd is what I don't want. I want to see the average from all over America because that is how getting averages work. Don't want data from trucks in a vacuum.

I think forums are the worst place to get the truth, particularly with domestic brand forums. Most people are brand loyal (which I am not) & won't admit when they have a vehicle that gets beat by someone else. All I know is I won't buy an EB based on what I believe are poor results in terms of fuel economy. Towing performance, yes I think it produces the best numbers. However, I still have my doubts on longevity of those engines vs a tradition NA V8.
Why do you question longevity?

JDMLOL
05-13-2014, 07:38 AM
I am not brand loyal as I have owned several GM trucks. If the truck got horrible mileage I would be the first one to tell you it wasn't worth it. I understand the data analysis part. However, I think fuelly hides some variables worth knowing. I do agree on longevity. My dad has a friend with an 11' EB with ~50k on the clock and it idles like shit and occasionally loses power. I witnessed the rough idle on a cold start and once it was warm, it continued. He's taken it in to the dealer and to no surprise they didn't find anything wrong. What's funny is the problem worsened when he had a ranch hand so he took it off. Almost makes me think the problem is with the intercooler. So there are some bugs that still need to be worked out for sure. Then again, I would question the longevity on anything Dodge. My dad's EB runs great though.

DirtyD
05-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Consumers just haven't had the trucks long enough to say they are reliable in higher mileage applications. Same with the 6.7 PSD, 5.0, etc. All of these motors are still new by todays standards, so only time will tell how they live up to high mileage.

Yeah, Ford did a torture test themselves, but nobody else has done so, so 1 data point can't be taken as the truth.

rlhay2
05-13-2014, 09:43 AM
You guys are talking Diesal prices now not in the future. The past has shown us that they do go up considerably.

A statement is made that diesel prices are likely to increase in the future but gas prices won't do the same? What logical basis is this assumption drawn from?

:rage:

I also dont see how anything I typed was trollish in nature.

From what I have seen in this thread, others share factual data and you respond with hyperbole, conjecture and speculation.

I see trolling.

Grandpa
05-13-2014, 09:46 AM
From what I have seen in this thread, others share factual data and you respond with hyperbole, conjecture and speculation.

I see trolling.

He's constantly side tracking threads with his nonsense. This is a great conversation aside from his nonsense. Allow me a moment to resolve this issue then you gentleman can proceed with your adult conversation.

DirtyD
05-13-2014, 10:35 AM
I see that somebody got a vacation

Grandpa
05-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I see that somebody got a vacation

Small one for a cool off period.

Now back to your conversation, fellas.

Crimson600+HP
05-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Why do you question longevity?

Longevity is only questioned because of fairly new tech. A twin turbo designed for heavier duty use instead of speed is new tech. The reliabilty of an engine constantly being fed boost seems like greater chances for things to fail vs. a traditional V8 which loafs along.

This is just my speculation though. I have no data to back it up, just me being skeptical. Diesels have proven that a turbo'd engine can last, but the characteristics between the two engines are quite different. I think the EB can be reliable as a heavier duty engine, but I wouldn't want to put my money there until these things have more data points (only in terms of longevity, I don't think the fuel economy will ever be there).

Crimson600+HP
05-13-2014, 11:36 AM
However, I think fuelly hides some variables worth knowing.

Then again, I would question the longevity on anything Dodge.

My dad's EB runs great though.

Trust me brother, I know fuelly isn't the end all be all for fuel economy reporting, but I do think it is the best place to pull data from on the internet currently.

I have never considered a MOPAR product before. When the put the ZF 8 speed auto in there pentastars though, I thought finally Dodge is doing something right. ZF makes a great transmission. Then a VM diesel, which is heavily used in Europe was put into the 1500/Jeep Grand Cherokee which I thought was a good move. I have doubts on all the other stuff, but the major components I am not as worried as before. This is the same mentaility I took behind stepping into a Mustang. The pros outwieghted the cons and I took a chance (which after a blown cylinder I question my choice).

I trusts your Dad's EB runs great too and given the way he drives, get's the mileage worthy of Ford's claims. But to me the majority of data swings the other way in relations to fuel economy. Plus EPA claims on the EB are 22 HWY and the EcoDiesel claims 28 HWY in 2WD forms. I don't think these engines are competitors though, the EB has much more capability that the EcoDiesel. To me, the EcoDiesel is a competitor with the higher mileage gasoline small V8's and V6's.

Courtesy Flush
05-13-2014, 11:46 AM
My father has an 14 EB 4x4 with roughly 2-3K miles.
The one time i drove it the average mpg read 16.4 based off the trucks computer with mixed highway & city. To me that seems low, since he drives like a grandpa.
Im curious what guys with tuned EB f-150's are getting?

ps.
***Diesel*** not diesal re7.

DirtyD
05-13-2014, 12:06 PM
My father has an 14 EB 4x4 with roughly 2-3K miles.
The one time i drove it the average mpg read 16.4 based off the trucks computer with mixed highway & city. To me that seems low, since he drives like a grandpa.
Im curious what guys with tuned EB f-150's are getting?

ps.
***Diesel*** not diesal re7.
Tuning has been making a huge difference on the EBs from everything I've seen.

Junkie
05-13-2014, 12:45 PM
A statement is made that diesel prices are likely to increase in the future but gas prices won't do the same? What logical basis is this assumption drawn from?

:rage:

I see trolling.

It seems his only reason to post here is to troll and post random nonsense BS. Anything that isn't "ford is the greatest ever" gets his attention lol.

Zeek
05-13-2014, 03:18 PM
If I had the money I'd gladly buy a new ecodiesel. Rip out the emmisons crap and turn it up. Its going to be awesome. I'm betting 30+mpg highway turned up.

Crimson600+HP
05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
If I had the money I'd gladly buy a new ecodiesel. Rip out the emmisons crap and turn it up. Its going to be awesome. I'm betting 30+mpg highway turned up.

Exactly. By not having negative equity in my truck, this purchase is possible to for me. Gives me a chance to get better gas mileage daily driving, while having a much nicer interior and towing experience. MotorTrend (they are biased towards the newest truck) did give this truck the Truck of the Year honors, first truck to recieve the award consecutive years since they started doing so in 1979. Fuel economy was a big portion of why it won, but they also stated it towed the best out of the other 1/2 tons.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1402_2014_ram_1500_is_motor_trend_2014_truck_of_th e_year/

For once, a Mopar product is worth the gamble to me.

DirtyD
05-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Exactly. By not having negative equity in my truck, this purchase is possible to for me. Gives me a chance to get better gas mileage daily driving, while having a much nicer interior and towing experience. MotorTrend (they are biased towards the newest truck) did give this truck the Truck of the Year honors, first truck to recieve the award consecutive years since they started doing so in 1979. Fuel economy was a big portion of why it won, but they also stated it towed the best out of the other 1/2 tons.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1402_2014_ram_1500_is_motor_trend_2014_truck_of_th e_year/

For once, a Mopar product is worth the gamble to me.
I just want to say, the only reason the Ram won TOTY for consecutive years was because they added the ecodiesel when Ford and Chevy didn't really change too much on their trucks. Ford's F-Series haven't really had many changes or updates since 2011 other than new headlights and grills. lol

Zeek
05-13-2014, 04:37 PM
People complain about diesel being more expensive but you get more mpg, better towing, and its just better to drive in general. Its worth the extra $10-15 when you fill up IMO. Its cheaper than 93 and you get way more performance. Everyone complaining about new tech.....this motor has been out for along time just on other platforms. There's nothing really new here. Just because you take the motor out of 1 truck and put in another doesn't make then motor bad. It will probably last longer than normal seeing as its in a smaller truck than the normal box trucks they put it in.

Crimson600+HP
05-13-2014, 07:43 PM
I just want to say, the only reason the Ram won TOTY for consecutive years was because they added the ecodiesel when Ford and Chevy didn't really change too much on their trucks. Ford's F-Series haven't really had many changes or updates since 2011 other than new headlights and grills. lol

Truth, but both Toyota and Chevy had refreshes between 2013 & 2014. Those refreshes were greater than just one engine being added to the Ram lineup. I was expecting Chevy to take it as usually the newest refresh wins. Either Ram has a great truck (which I think it maybe good) or Chevy dropped a ball on their redesign.

DirtyD
05-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Truth, but both Toyota and Chevy had refreshes between 2013 & 2014. Those refreshes were greater than just one engine being added to the Ram lineup. I was expecting Chevy to take it as usually the newest refresh wins. Either Ram has a great truck (which I think it maybe good) or Chevy dropped a ball on their redesign.

The general consensus among anyone that doesn't suck a bowtie like a penis, would agree with the latter.

garner
05-14-2014, 12:56 AM
Not sure why rx7 is saying you'll never see the upgrade cost back, guess he's never heard of resale value. Plus I'm pretty sure fuel costs overall will be cheaper. My experience with 2 hemi rams over 53,000 miles was that I saw maybe 35 tanks that were over 15 mpg. Just with my 2012, out of 105 fill ups only 13 were 15 mpg or higher; the overall average is 13.6. Every tank was with 93(89 is recommended, 87 is acceptable though). My trucks never saw towing or hauling(other than ass) that would effect numbers. Even getting 20 mpg compared to 15 mpg in the gasser unloaded, the diesel upgrade would pay off depending on how long you own the truck.

As far as tuning goes, I would wait and see when, or even if, it does come out. I waited years for bullydog and diablo to unlock the computer and bring out tuners for my trucks. They still have nothing for the GC diesel which has been out a little longer than the ram, so that's a sign right there that tuning may take a while.

I think the ecodiesel is good for somebody that either wants FI power without being In a gasser like the ecoboost, or doesn't want to pay the $10k markup to get into a comparable 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Just be warned the resale value will suck compared to Toyota, no matter what.

Crimson600+HP
05-14-2014, 01:09 AM
I'm not too worried about resale value. I'm only 26 and vehicles will come and go for me over the years. Heck, if I worried about resale value I wouldn't own a Mustang let alone modify it the way I have.

I have a simple idea when it comes to vehicles purchasing. Buy whatever is the best out there that I can afford. Right now, this configuration is the best 1/2 ton power gain combo out there IMO.

Hagen3great
05-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Ive done lots of research looking for a new work truck and the ecodiesel is my pick. It is a 2800 upcharge from the hemi and 4500 (4000 for engine and 500 for the transmission) from the v6 for only a few more mpgs. My rational on it is real world mpg. I've test driven a fully loaded 4x4 for 20 miles mixed highway/city (more highway) and was getting 25-26. The v6 model is returning 19-22 (according to fuely) but factor in a modest 1k payload for work supplies with occasional high elevation and the diesel looks that much better.

I read an article that tested it at max payload vs the 2500 Ram and it STILL returned 20mpg. I think the 2500 was in the 15-17 range. The problem now is getting ram to throw in those massive gas incentives on the eco.. so far I've only been offered invoice -2k. Some gassers are getting 10k off msrp!

Crimson600+HP
05-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Ive done lots of research looking for a new work truck and the ecodiesel is my pick. It is a 2800 upcharge from the hemi and 4500 (4000 for engine and 500 for the transmission) from the v6 for only a few more mpgs. My rational on it is real world mpg. I've test driven a fully loaded 4x4 for 20 miles mixed highway/city (more highway) and was getting 25-26. The v6 model is returning 19-22 (according to fuely) but factor in a modest 1k payload for work supplies with occasional high elevation and the diesel looks that much better.

I read an article that tested it at max payload vs the 2500 Ram and it STILL returned 20mpg. I think the 2500 was in the 15-17 range. The problem now is getting ram to throw in those massive gas incentives on the eco.. so far I've only been offered invoice -2k. Some gassers are getting 10k off msrp!

I'm going through a bank's (Pentagon Federal Credit Union) car buying service. I am going for a Laramie with almost everything and I was able to get somewhere between $9K-10K off MRSP. I know USAA has one too, but car buying services are easy way to avoid dealers unwilling to budge or if a hot new vehicle comes out with a dealer upcharge. I know guys in the military were using these to avoid dealer markup on GT500's and Boss 302's when dealers were charging over MSRP to get one.

Hagen3great
05-14-2014, 11:56 PM
Man that's exactly what I'm looking at. Either a Laramie or Laramie longhorn cuz that leather is o so nice. Ill have to look into a CU service. I would sign tomorrow on a LL if I can get 10k off sticker. Shoot me a pm if you don't mind with any info on your CU I may be able to use.

Crimson600+HP
05-15-2014, 03:16 AM
Man that's exactly what I'm looking at. Either a Laramie or Laramie longhorn cuz that leather is o so nice. Ill have to look into a CU service. I would sign tomorrow on a LL if I can get 10k off sticker. Shoot me a pm if you don't mind with any info on your CU I may be able to use.

I used Pentagon Federal CU. They have a car buying service with TrueCar, which got me into the truck I just bought tonight. You would have to see if you qualify to be a member with that CU though. Sticker on this puppy, $54.6k. I walked away after negotiations at $45.7k. These are trucks that people are saying they sell only MSRP minus rebates right now due to demand...which I call some dealer BS. You just have to fight and come armed.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/imagejpg1_zps0c86182d.jpg

Either way, here it is. 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel 4x4. Air ride, nav, keyless everything, auto start, tow package, etc. This thing isn't fast 0-60, but it has impressive passing power and rides better than any other vehicle I have been in. Time will tell how good or bad of a decision I just made.

Zeek
05-15-2014, 08:05 AM
I used Pentagon Federal CU. They have a car buying service with TrueCar, which got me into the truck I just bought tonight. You would have to see if you qualify to be a member with that CU though. Sticker on this puppy, $54.6k. I walked away after negotiations at $45.7k. These are trucks that people are saying they sell only MSRP minus rebates right now due to demand...which I call some dealer BS. You just have to fight and come armed.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/imagejpg1_zps0c86182d.jpg

Either way, here it is. 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel 4x4. Air ride, nav, keyless everything, auto start, tow package, etc. This thing isn't fast 0-60, but it has impressive passing power and rides better than any other vehicle I have been in. Time will tell how good or bad of a decision I just made.

Looks awesome. I wish I could afford one. Keep us updated on real world figures. Go get that baby tuned!

DirtyD
05-15-2014, 09:26 AM
54.6k MSRP! Holy crap!!!!!!!!!

rlhay2
05-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Air ride?
Is it a load leveling system?

DirtyD
05-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Air ride?
Is it a load leveling system?
Here is Dodge's video explaining it.

rpjE2pf9bKM

rlhay2
05-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Here is Dodge's video explaining it.

I'll need a new truck in 2-3 years.
As I am frequently loading/unloading motorcycles from the truck bed, this truck just made the top of my list!
Hopefully, by the time I am ready to purchase all the bugs will be worked out.

Hagen3great
05-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Congrats jeff! I want that exact truck color and all. And yes please keep us posted on real world mpg. 95% of my driving is highway. Not sure if it's true but I heard a guys mpg went up to 31 after a tow to Austin and back. Maybe these things need some loosening up!

garner
05-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Nice truck!

I'm gonna have to check out penfed next time I'm car shopping. Don't think navy fed has a similar service

Crimson600+HP
05-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Quick update:

Drive it pure city mileage for 100 miles. Computer states I am getting 19.9 MPG right now. Not bad for a 1/2 ton.

Air ride is amazing & it is fully self leveling. Took a spring with my Mustang on the trailer around town and the truck didn't have that awful nose up look that I am familiar with. Also, plenty more useable power than my V8 tundra while towing. Engine isn't working hard at all (even better than the EB & I know the EB has a higher rating). Ventilated seats are amazing, worth it.

Once I break this engine in and have a couple tanks down. I will really give it a full in depth review. Everything from town, highway, and towing 6000lbs to Oklahoma. For those who don't look at other brands...you are missing out. I convinced my roommate tonight to get a 14 Camaro 1LE after his SS crapped out its oil pump. Once he epwas comfortable with the deal I negotiated for him, I went and sat in a High Country 2014 Silverado. Their top of the line interior is not as good as the Dodge's almost top of the line that I have. Dodge has stepped up there game.

DirtyD
05-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Once that diesel is broken in, expect the mileage to creep up a bit more. That's very impressive to hear it's doing that good already.

Hagen3great
05-26-2014, 05:59 PM
I caved and got a longhorn hemi and skipped out on the air ride. I liked it but felt the truck rode better without it and I never tow.. anyways I paid 50k out the door with a msrp of 53k. They got me for 900 more than we agreed to with their fees.. I had my daughter screaming and the seized the opportunity lol...
Anyway I'm getting 19-20 highway. Not as good as the diesel and I may regret not getting it but the power is fun!

Notice any drawbacks on the eco or is it everything its cracked up to be?

re-rx7
05-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Gd interview on ford vs diesel.

http://youtu.be/O0Z24RpzhI8

Crimson600+HP
05-26-2014, 11:43 PM
I caved and got a longhorn hemi and skipped out on the air ride. I liked it but felt the truck rode better without it and I never tow.. anyways I paid 50k out the door with a msrp of 53k. They got me for 900 more than we agreed to with their fees.. I had my daughter screaming and the seized the opportunity lol...
Anyway I'm getting 19-20 highway. Not as good as the diesel and I may regret not getting it but the power is fun!

Notice any drawbacks on the eco or is it everything its cracked up to be?

You will def. love the interior of the Laramie Longhorn, these top of the line models make for great interiors. Now that I have had it for a few weeks, I was finally able to compile all my notes for this truck.

Crimson600+HP
05-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Now that I have it for a few weeks, I finally was able to run the truck through a sleu of testing. For most, this maybe a too long, didn't read review...but for those looking at a 1/2 ton it maybe worth the read.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/10407256_940068772600_1979521467981434332_n_zpscf8 ecdc7.jpg

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 EcoDiesel Review

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/1970681_940068797550_1954420737335724357_n_zpsc59d 7094.jpg

Initial Impressions: Coming from a 2010 Toyota Tundra 4x4 with the 4.6L V8, I had experience with excellent engines and transmissions. During the test drive, I notice that the EcoDiesel 3.0L VM Motori Diesel is not going to be fast off the line by any means. With only 240HP, my 4.6L V8 had more HP. But HP isn’t everything in trucks and the 420 TQ out of the Ram’s engine is very addictive and provides excellent passing power when you spool the turbo. As far as the interior of the Tundra, it was pretty Spartan even by the standards of 2010. Ram has stepped up their game. I sat in King Ranches, Tundra 1794’s, Chevy High Countries, along with the Laramie Longhorn and Ram’s interior can compete with them. I went with the slightly lower trim, which has proved to be as luxurious as I have ever been in. Ergonomics of controls, outside of the small gear selecting buttons on the steering wheel, the Ram is better sorted. The Tundra was simple, but there were long reaches in order to adjust the center stack. Paint qualities on the Toyota’s are lackluster at best and the Ram appears to have better quality paint on its exterior. Paint color choices are fairly slim and poor in my opinion, which is ultimately why I went with white. It won’t wow anybody, but it will never look bad. Ride quality was night and day difference between the two trucks. Mostly due to the adoption of rear coil springs vs. leaf springs that are in most trucks. The air ride was hard to tell if it was doing anything, outside of wowing people when you squat it in order to help short people climb in the truck. This is what I gathered from my first few weeks of ownership. I am quickly becoming an advocate for this specific drivetrain combo (Ram EcoDiesel with 8SPD Auto), hoping that typical Dodge problems arrive. If so, this decision will be a mistake, but if this combo proves reliable, I stand by my claim that this is the best ½ ton on the market.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/10283980_940976453600_6636564944527193267_o_zpsdea 31c93.jpg

City Driving: Cannot express how nice this truck drives compared to my Tundra or by any other vehicle I have been in. Very quiet, with windows up you can barely hear the diesel under the hood. Road noise, exhaust noise, etc. are very minimal and I can only assume noise fatigue will never be an issue as long as someone doesn’t mess with things. As far as driving characteristics, getting used to the way a diesel makes power will take some getting used to as you have to anticipate a little more in order to be in the power band. Brakes feel adequate to handle anything you can throw at it for daily driving, however pedal feels is almost non-existent compared to the Tundra’s very positive feeling brake pedal. Now to the bottom line, fuel economy. I drove the truck for approximately 150 miles with pure in town mileage. I never got on the highway, only city streets with speed limits varying from 20-55 mph. Needless to say, I averaged 19.6 MPG according to the Ram’s computer. I never saw city mileage like that with my Tundra and even rarely saw that mileage with pure highway miles. Huge victory for Team EcoDiesel.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/10382290_940976718070_839172092117433241_o_zps87ed 480f.jpg

Towing: Let’s get an idea for the load I was towing. On the back of a 2000lb car hauler, I had either a 2014 Camaro SS 1LE or a 2013 Ford Mustang GT, which equates to roughly 6000-6500 pounds. The route was mostly back country two lane highways of rolling terrain with speed limits at 70-75 MPH between Killeen and College Station, TX. During the duration of the towing, I stayed with traffic at the speed limit. With an overall length of trip totaling 215 miles, I was able to achieve an average MPG of 15.6. That is 5-7 more than any V8 truck (including 3.5L EcoBoost Options) will get. Granted, those vehicles will have more passing power than my truck, but the EcoDiesel loafed along with that load and felt like it was laboring less than my older V8. All while running the AC, ventilated seats, and a nice stereo playing XM. In addition to the obvious benefits of towing with a diesel, the air ride suspension is amazing. With auto leveling depending on your load, the Ram stays flat and even throughout the trip. My old Tundra, with a beefier suspension of upgraded shocks and leaf springs, would still be nose up towing this same load. Another huge victory for Team EcoDiesel.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/SAM_3827_zps6c4bc4a5.jpg

Highway Cruising: I tested this with a road trip from Fort Hood, TX to Lawton, OK via highway 281. A 300 mile one way trip that would last five hours with varying speed limits from 65-75 MPH. Once again, the Ram shined in the ride department maintaining a luxurious and smooth ride. The navigation system is actually one of the best I have ever messed with and the sound quality from the Alpine system is good enough for a factory system. Once I hit the open highway, I set the cruise control near the speed limit which ended up being 76 MPH the entire trip when I wasn’t in a small town. The terrain on HWY 281 is like most TX Highways, rolling terrain between farms and small towns. The EcoDiesel never felt labored and the 8SPD transmission always had the Ram in the right gear, never searching like my 4.6L Tundra used to do. I also want to note how I was driving. I stuck with the mentality that in no way was I going to impede traffic or try to hyper mile in anyway. If I caught up to someone, I would pass them to maintain my pace. So now to what most people want to read, the fuel economy bottom line. For the first half of the trip, the ED returned 27.0 MPG at 76 MPH…that’s right, the Ram ED gets what it actually advertised. On the way back, I bucked a 15 MPH headwind for the first half of the journey but I was still able to return 26.6 MPG overall. Combined fuel economy on a pure highway excursion, 26.8 MPG.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/SAM_3833_zpsdbe1dd2c.jpg

Bonus Driving: Not everyone has a road like TX 130 in their backyard like I do right now, but I decided to test the truck at higher highway speeds. New tarmac and concrete, TX 130 is a stretch from Georgetown to Seguin in order to bypass I-35 and the abysmal Austin traffic. Speed limits range from 80 MPH for the first half and 85 MPH for the second half. So once again, I set the cruise control at the posted speed limits to see what I returned. So, this aerodynamic brick was able to return 23.4 MPG on the way down and 23.2 MPG on the way back. Once again, not bad for a full sized ½ ton truck.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i157/jeffcrosbie/SAM_3850_zpsbb63be0b.jpg

Driving like an asshole…I mean hybrid owner: For a 30 mile stretch, I decided to try my best to get great fuel economy, not caring about what I was doing to traffic behind me. Luckily, no one was on the highway that I chose so I was willing to do this. 70 MPH speed limit, I set the cruise at an easy 63 MPH once the aerodynamic mode kicked in on the air suspension and active front louvers. After 30 miles, I filled up and did the calculations and I returned 30.1 MPG over rolling terrain and driving through 4 stop lights and one small town.

Big Negative: One thing that I am noticing is the rate at which this truck consumes DEF. Ram claims that the 11 gallon tank is designed to last 10,000 miles, that way the oil change and DEF fill can be done at the same time. However, I currently have 1600 miles on the truck and I am close to the 1/2 tank mark. I don't know if there is a break in period of the exhaust emissions system, but this thing drinks DEF fluid so far. Luckily, it is easily filled at $3 bucks a gallon at truck stops, but I am still surprised at the rate it is consuming it.