PDA

View Full Version : Q? > 2013/14 Vented Hood - future issues with drainage?

Working.Man
04-28-2014, 10:45 PM
I am the proud owner of 2014 GT now. Upon looking under the hood to admire the venting of the hood, I found the deadening material seems to extend a bit unerneath the hood vents. When it rains, this seems like it will surely get soaked, which can't be good.

I'm curious what other owners with more time on the vehicle have experienced, and if there are suggestions for keeping the engine bay from getting filthy, or at least water spotted.

(Or: Is it ever is going to rain in Norh Texas again?)

Thanks all
WM

Zeek
04-28-2014, 11:38 PM
I had the Steeda CAI and the insulation material removed off the hood. I didn't have any issues with water and I parked outside.

Crimson600+HP
04-28-2014, 11:40 PM
Congrats on the car.

I've never had an issue with this problem. The extractors are designed primarily to let heat out and at speed I doubt much water gets in. Sitting still is a different story, but you can't avoid that when you have holes in the hood I would think.

Klownz
04-28-2014, 11:50 PM
I am the proud owner of 2014 GT now. Upon looking under the hood to admire the venting of the hood, I found the deadening material seems to extend a bit unerneath the hood vents. When it rains, this seems like it will surely get soaked, which can't be good.

I'm curious what other owners with more time on the vehicle have experienced, and if there are suggestions for keeping the engine bay from getting filthy, or at least water spotted.

(Or: Is it ever is going to rain in Norh Texas again?)

Thanks all
WM

uhmmm..there is 2 holes in it!!!!

DirtyD
04-29-2014, 09:52 AM
The hood mat is fine when it gets wet. However, trimming away that good may from the vents will greatly improve the airflow of the hot air from under the hood. I did this on my car and have noticed a lot more heat dissipating from the engine bay, which is always a good thing.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k346/dirtyd88/IMG_3558.jpg (http://s324.photobucket.com/user/dirtyd88/media/IMG_3558.jpg.html)

Crimson600+HP
04-29-2014, 10:16 AM
^ Smart idea. I am stuck to removing mine everytime I go to the track now though. ProCharger's filter is directly under those vents and in stop and go traffic/parking, rainwater would saturate the filter.

To the OP, could always trade a V6 owner for his hood.

Working.Man
05-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Hey Derek > Any tips for trimming the insulation? Seems like a carpet knife or box cutter would work. Wouldn't want to gouge the paint underneath, so I'm guessing it was removed/re-installed?

DirtyD
05-07-2014, 01:06 AM
That's exactly what I used. Just be mindful of where you put your hands. I cut it on the car though. Wasn't too bad.

PCB
05-07-2014, 01:13 PM
I did the same as D-Money.

I had the vents painted Lava Red and removed the mesh, then went on the underside of the car and trimmed back the liner. You can see much more heat especially when it's cool out coming from the hood.

garner
05-08-2014, 12:36 AM
I went a step beyond d, and yanked the whole thing off. Might take the mesh off like PCB did too