PDA

View Full Version : HIDs in Aftermarket Headlamps Question

Dan12GT
09-23-2012, 01:38 PM
So I recently installed the Raxxiom style headlamps from LMR. One disappointing thing was I could not re-use my H13 bulbs from the stock headlamps. The reason I wanted to re-use these are because I paid a cute penny for an HID kit that has High/Low beam bulbs.

So, I actually had a spare set of HID H9 bulbs laying around and plugged those into my ballasts and it worked fine, however I only have low beams on these bulbs. So, I know the ones the kit came with are dual high/low but obviously not HIDs.

My question is where can I find a dual high/low HID H9 bulb? I used DMM tuning before for all my other HID needs but apparently they do not carry this. Anybody else know of any other carrier that has dual high/low H9 bulbs?

For the time being I was probably going to take an extra look at the H13 bulb to see if I can modify it by any means to make it fit. Sometimes it just requires some trimming on the tabs, that I did not bother looking at during the install.

Dan12GT
09-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Well it pretty much looks as if they do not exist. Think an H9 bulb is made to be used in conjunction with a completely separate bulb for high beams, there is no all in one for these types like what comes stock on our cars. I'll have to see what I can do to make it work.

Grandpa
09-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Hmm, interesting.

Dan12GT
09-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Hmm, interesting.

Interesting indeed. It seems there are not too many bulb types that are set up to run as a single high/low beam. I was looking at pictures of the two bulbs and I think I can easily modify the prongs to accept the bulb. I guess i'll post back on what I am able to pull off.

DirtyD
09-23-2012, 06:47 PM
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT put HID bulbs into aftermarket headlights unless you know they can in fact handle HIDs. Most of those aftermarket housings are made from non-heat treated plastic and typically the projector lenses aren't glass. If you are really wanting HID projector performance, just spend the money for a retrofit kit. It may not be the cheapest route, but you will end up with OEM performance at a much cheaper price. Let me go find a link to an article I posted on SVTP...

DirtyD
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/860550-faqs-halogen-vs-hid.html

DirtyD
09-23-2012, 06:55 PM
But in regards to your question, any H series bulbs are not produced in a dual filament format.

Dan12GT
09-23-2012, 07:32 PM
I have heard a mixed array of things about this. I have heard if you stay within a 35W setup you shouldn't have any problems with heat melting anything. There are some H series bulbs that are dual filament. My H13s work this way, it does seem though there are not many produced this way.

DirtyD
09-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Not necessarily heat issues all the time, but the plastic lenses refract light a bit differently than glass. Also, a lenses made for halogen lights will have a different focal length than one made for HIDs. Best thing you can do is contact Raxiom themselves and ask of they will properly handle HID lights or strictly halogen.

Dan12GT
09-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Ya I think I will call them up because if they are going to melt I will get rid of the HIDs asap. As far as the way the light is reflected I am not too terribly concerned. I had HIDs in my stock lamps and these are way more focused so the glare is pretty much gone.

DirtyD
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
HIDs typically don't do we'll in a reflective housing because the light doesn't emit in the same direction as a halogen bulb.

Have you considered swapping in the OE projectors from the 2010-2012 cars? There is a thread on SVTP about doing so.

Dan12GT
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
As in swapping in the entire headlamp or just the projector? I've looked at the prices of the head lamps and they are insanely expensive.

DirtyD
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Here is the thread. He scored his OE projectors off CL for $400...maybe there are some out there...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-370/864743-halogen-factory-hid-swap.html

Dan12GT
09-24-2012, 06:45 PM
That guy got SUPER lucky getting both headlamps for that price! I have been looking for a long time because my 1st choice was to swap to those. I was never able to find anything under $3-400 PER headlamp ($700-800 total). I guess I am kinda stuck now. I will probably hang on to these for a while and hope that those headlamp prices come down more and do the real swap later. I do like the look of the stock HID lamps over anything aftermarket.

Midnight11
09-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Here is the thread. He scored his OE projectors off CL for $400...maybe there are some out there...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-370/864743-halogen-factory-hid-swap.html

did u invite him over here? lol

DirtyD
09-24-2012, 08:21 PM
did u invite him over here? lol

Why? So he can hunt down some? Lol

Midnight11
09-24-2012, 08:59 PM
No bc he is in dallas

DirtyD
09-24-2012, 09:04 PM
No bc he is in dallas

I...did not notice that...