PDA

View Full Version : April's general chat/ post whore thread

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
So what's new with everyone?

I'm training for an in-house tournament coming up and I'm all jacked up (not on Mountain Dew) like a Spider Monkey!

DirtyD
04-09-2014, 12:46 PM
We haven't had one of these in awhile.

I would imagine with as much crap that's in MD, it would kill you for as long as you haven't had one. lol

New for me. Picking up a F150 supercrew from my friend to become the new daily. That's about it.

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
We haven't had one of these in awhile.

I would imagine with as much crap that's in MD, it would kill you for as long as you haven't had one. lol

New for me. Picking up a F150 supercrew from my friend to become the new daily. That's about it.

I would be high as hell if I drank a MD these days. Hell, I had a drink of my daughters sweet tea the other day she had at Fuzzy's Tacos and that shit was so sweet I bet I had that bitter beer face the old guy had on that commercial! haha.

Dominic Toretto
04-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I bought a durian a few days ago on impulse. Left it at my boo thang's place. I'll probably just leave it on my coworker's desk as a gift.

Also ordered some 3000k HIDs for my foglights to up my ricer score.

-Alex

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I bought a durian a few days ago on impulse. Left it at my boo thang's place. I'll probably just leave it on my coworker's desk as a gift.

Also ordered some 3000k HIDs for my foglights to up my ricer score.

-Alex

I never actually smelled one of those things, but by the reactions I have seen I'm not sure that I would want to. It almost seems to have an instant gag reflex for most people. It's funny though!

DirtyD
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
I would be high as hell if I drank a MD these days. Hell, I had a drink of my daughters sweet tea the other day she had at Fuzzy's Tacos and that shit was so sweet I bet I had that bitter beer face the old guy had on that commercial! haha.
:lol:

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 01:04 PM
HP Tuner is officially available for 5.0's. Any of you going to try it out?

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 01:18 PM
What do you guys think of these wheels? Trying to decide which direction go with my V.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1480569_10151954419652191_1083792751_n.jpg

Dominic Toretto
04-09-2014, 01:34 PM
I never actually smelled one of those things, but by the reactions I have seen I'm not sure that I would want to. It almost seems to have an instant gag reflex for most people. It's funny though!

Some guy on YouTube called the LA Beast got through half of one. Also needed a machete to open the damn thing.

What do you guys think of these wheels? Trying to decide which direction go with my V.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1480569_10151954419652191_1083792751_n.jpg

I don't like the wheels but somehow, they look good on that car.

-Alex

DirtyD
04-09-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm hoping that Kevin gets it and starts using it with his tuning. So far everything I've heard about it is very good, and SCT might be F'ed in terms of user interface and ECU tune writing times.

I like them. Kind of has the factory design vibe to it.

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Kevin does have it now.

DirtyD
04-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Kevin does have it now.

:signs1::party36:

Time to install the 47s and get some corn.

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure if the 5.0's will still need the programmer or not to upload the tunes. I don't know enough about it. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about that nonsense anymore since the V doesn't require a handheld. I never had any problems with mine, but then again I never had to mess with it since I never changed the tune after getting it tuned. All of the bricking and locking up nonsense sucks!

03MachMe
04-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Taking Nolan to his first Rangers game next Friday. Should be a blast

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Awesome news for you guys, no more handhelds and no more worrying about bricking!! The value of SCT handhelds just plummeted. lol

http://www.brooksspeed.com/hptuners/HPTFord.jpg

HP Tuners' is proud to announce the release of late-model FORD tuning support! Ditch the handheld and tune it yourself with VCM Suite 2.25! Take complete control of:

2005-2014 Ford Mustang
2004-2013 F-Series (Except EcoBoost)
2005-2010 Crown Victoria
2005-2010 Lincoln Towncar
2006-2010 Ford Fusion
2006-2010 Mercury Milan
2006-2010 Lincoln Zephr / MKZ
2005-2007 Ford Freestyle
2007-2009.5 Ranger
2005-2008 Expedition / Expedition EL
2006-2007 Freestar
2005-2007 - Lincoln Navigator
2003-2005 Thunderbird
2003-2005 Lincoln LS
2004-2010 Explorer / Mountaineer
2004-2011 Taurus / Sable (Except EcoBoost)
2002-2007 Escape / Mariner
2009-2010 Lincoln MKS
2010 Lincoln MKT
2009-2010 Ford Flex
2007-2010 Ford Edge
2002-2012 BA, BF, FG (Australian Ford)
and late-model Roush, Saleen, and Cobra Jet

If you already own a GM VCM Suite, you can simply add Ford credits to your existing cable. Just 99.98 per vehicle... no handheld needed!

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Taking Nolan to his first Rangers game next Friday. Should be a blast

Haha, not sure who that is more fun, son or Dad! Either way it will be fun. I really want to take Emma before it gets too hot. I'm just not sure she can sit still that long.

03MachMe
04-09-2014, 02:55 PM
They have lots for the kids to do around the park so of she gets figity just take her to one of the little event things and let her run around

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
They have lots for the kids to do around the park so of she gets figity just take her to one of the little event things and let her run around

Oh cool. Wasn't aware of that.

DirtyD
04-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Yeah, they have a giant play area inside the center field suites. More than enough for her to do. As well as a few small outside games.

I'm so getting a hold of Kevin to tune my car. That will give me the ability to use my current SCT handheld on my new truck for when I up the tire size so I can correct the speedo as well as get a tune for it.

fordplay
04-10-2014, 06:51 AM
What is this hp tuner magic? I guess I could just look it up but..I was lonely and wanted to comment

kdanner
04-10-2014, 07:23 PM

I had some prereleases during development, wasn't actually using it on cars, but going through everything to see if anything should be added if it was missing. I gave Eric a list of a couple hundred auto trans things to add in, so automatic support should be very complete, including the ability to do the transbrake. The engine side, existing products probably had that covered well enough, but this is more complete.

Between this and the Hypertech flashers you're going to see more and more of, and that SCTs new product release seems to be little more than a refresh of the same old tired product type, things are certainly changing, I think for the better.

Crimson600+HP
04-10-2014, 09:29 PM
I had some prereleases during development, wasn't actually using it on cars, but going through everything to see if anything should be added if it was missing. I gave Eric a list of a couple hundred auto trans things to add in, so automatic support should be very complete, including the ability to do the transbrake.

That is some great news for the auto guys.

kdanner
04-10-2014, 10:35 PM
I think Eric worded it well: "A lot of the BS black magic voodoo hush hush top secret tuning crap will now come to light, and people can see the hack tunes for what they are."

Previously there weren't a lot of us with tools that could dump the PCM easily. That all changes now, the more of these sold, the less people can hide in the dark and make their BS claims about their calibrations. You'll be able to dump and view the contents of as many PCMs as you want without even using credits, as those don't get used until you edit a file.

fordplay
04-11-2014, 07:11 AM
No no no crimson, great news for the auto guys is they added a third button to the shifter for 2015.. did you see that? Yep it's an electronic tampon dispenser!!! Ba ha ha ha.. get it?? Ha ha in all honestly if ford made a paddle shifter and transmission like the BMW smg ( which in my mind is a poor man's Ferrari paddle setup) I'd get it , it's just too bad when that Trans goes south, like they all do they are expensive!! Till then I'll keep rowing my gears, and let the auto guys keep hitting the "D" !!!! Ha ha ha

DirtyD
04-11-2014, 09:10 AM
I think Eric worded it well: "A lot of the BS black magic voodoo hush hush top secret tuning crap will now come to light, and people can see the hack tunes for what they are."

Previously there weren't a lot of us with tools that could dump the PCM easily. That all changes now, the more of these sold, the less people can hide in the dark and make their BS claims about their calibrations. You'll be able to dump and view the contents of as many PCMs as you want without even using credits, as those don't get used until you edit a file.
I wonder if this will force AM/Bama out of the tuning game after some people see what's in their tunes...

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Wooohoo. I'm stoked. The weekend is here!:signs1:

Crimson600+HP
04-11-2014, 09:52 AM
No no no crimson, great news for the auto guys is they added a third button to the shifter for 2015.. did you see that? Yep it's an electronic tampon dispenser!!! Ba ha ha ha.. get it?? Ha ha in all honestly if ford made a paddle shifter and transmission like the BMW smg ( which in my mind is a poor man's Ferrari paddle setup) I'd get it , it's just too bad when that Trans goes south, like they all do they are expensive!! Till then I'll keep rowing my gears, and let the auto guys keep hitting the "D" !!!! Ha ha ha

I dont even need a BMW/Porsche like paddle shifting transmission. If it was just a fast shifting, auto-rev, then I would be sold. First one that I think is going to attempt this is the C7 Z06. I love manuals, but I like winning more.

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 09:57 AM
I just can't see Ford putting in one of those really high end transmissions in the regular GT because it would drive up the cost of the car too much. It's already getting too expensive for a lot of their customer base. I could be wrong though. /shrug

DirtyD
04-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I just can't see Ford putting in one of those really high end transmissions in the regular GT because it would drive up the cost of the car too much. It's already getting too expensive for a lot of their customer base. I could be wrong though. /shrug
Agreed. But I think there has to be better option for a low cost trans that is still a decent trans.

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 10:59 AM
I kinda understand why Ford does what they do with their transmissions trying to keep costs down knowing most of the customer base aren't guys like us who mod the hell out of our cars and beat on them. We are a very small part of their sales. I was surprised to find out that most buyers of base GT's are....women! Where are all these female owners!??

Dominic Toretto
04-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I kinda understand why Ford does what they do with their transmissions trying to keep costs down knowing most of the customer base aren't guys like us who mod the hell out of our cars and beat on them. We are a very small part of their sales. I was surprised to find out that most buyers of base GT's are....women! Where are all these female owners!??

+1.

I don't know where this idea that most people that buy V8 Mustangs are track guys but, this has been the truth for decades. Same with any other performance car.

-Alex

STROKD
04-11-2014, 11:20 AM

If they werent fucken idiots they could figure it out. VW has the fastest and best one in the world, and it doesnt cost but a grand as an option. Id pay a grand for a dsg everyday in any car... especially a Mustang. its rated 3 tenths! Faster to 60 than a stick in their new R...

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
If they werent fucken idiots they could figure it out. VW has the fastest and best one in the world, and it doesnt cost but a grand as an option. Id pay a grand for a dsg everyday in any car... especially a Mustang. its rated 3 tenths! Faster to 60 than a stick in their new R...

Most of their customer base are women for the GT's who don't give a damn about 3 tenths here and there. They want it comfortable, sporty and pretty.

The upper trim levels are more meant for the guys which is why the GT500 is such a large step beyond the GT with it's aggressive suspension, horsepower and exhaust note.

STROKD
04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Most of their customer base are women for the GT's who don't give a damn about 3 tenths here and there. They want it comfortable, sporty and pretty.

The upper trim levels are more meant for the guys which is why the GT500 is such a large step beyond the GT with it's aggressive suspension, horsepower and exhaust note.

I understand, but they could still figure it out if they cared to. There is no downside, better mpg than an auto with better shifting comfort and better performance. You should drive the gti sometime, you will see why its really the only transmission that needs to exist. Its nit like Dave's Lambo herky jerky shit... lmao

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I understand, but they could still figure it out if they cared to. There is no downside, better mpg than an auto with better shifting comfort and better performance. You should drive the gti sometime, you will see why its really the only transmission that needs to exist. Its nit like Dave's Lambo herky jerky shit... lmao

LOL, TT Lambo or not, that would drive me insane with that nonsense.

DirtyD
04-11-2014, 12:04 PM
You would at least think they would offer an upgrade option through Ford Racing or something for a better built trans at least for the people that do mod it. There is no way Ford doesn't realize the Mustang is the most modified vehicle in the US, especially for drag racers and road trackers. Hell NMRA has a class dedicated solely to Coyotes/Mustangs now! That's saying something.

rriddle3
04-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Where's all this 'large portion of GT buyers' being women coming from? I see lots of women in Mustangs, but they're all in V6s. Every GT driver I see is a guy.

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 02:37 PM
You would at least think they would offer an upgrade option through Ford Racing or something for a better built trans at least for the people that do mod it. There is no way Ford doesn't realize the Mustang is the most modified vehicle in the US, especially for drag racers and road trackers. Hell NMRA has a class dedicated solely to Coyotes/Mustangs now! That's saying something.

Solid points.

Where's all this 'large portion of GT buyers' being women coming from? I see lots of women in Mustangs, but they're all in V6s. Every GT driver I see is a guy.

Ford has been saying that for years and also says it increases every year.

STROKD
04-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Solid points.

Ford has been saying that for years and also says it increases every year.

Ford is full of shit.

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 02:52 PM
Ford is full of shit.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. My wife has a Mustang and she got it cuz it's pretty and sounds good. She couldn't give two fucks how fast it is or isn't.

kdanner
04-11-2014, 03:38 PM
I wonder if this will force AM/Bama out of the tuning game after some people see what's in their tunes...

I'd like to say yes, but I'm already amazed that a company is still in business when they are pretty much known for crappy chinese wheels and crappy tunes. They sell the hell out of both, the masses buy the cheapest thing.

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 03:46 PM
I'd like to say yes, but I'm already amazed that a company is still in business when they are pretty much known for crappy chinese wheels and crappy tunes. They sell the hell out of both, the masses buy the cheapest thing.

That is because there are a LOT of people who buy these cars who can't really afford them and mod them as cheap as possible. The same unexperienced people who have not learned that valuable lesson of getting what you pay for.

DirtyD
04-11-2014, 03:53 PM
That is because there are a LOT of people who buy these cars who can't really afford them and mod them as cheap as possible. The same unexperienced people who have not learned that valuable lesson of getting what you pay for.
:word:

They seem to cater to the V6 community a lot, which I can understand as there really isn't much 3.7 support that is widely known out there as much as Bama.

Dominic Toretto
04-11-2014, 03:54 PM
That's it's. I am cheap because I don't want to put $6k wheels on a $25k car lol. I guess with that logic, I am also cheap because I bought a Mustang instead of a 458 Italia. I got what I paid for, just like everyone else who bought a Mustang lol.

-Alex

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 04:02 PM
That's it's. I am cheap because I don't want to put $6k wheels on a $25k car lol. I guess with that logic, I am also cheap because I bought a Mustang instead of a 458 Italia. I got what I paid for, just like everyone else who bought a Mustang lol.

-Alex

Yet again, you're exaggerating for effect. My point is that people buy these nice cars and then cheap out on important things like a quality tune. I don't give a shit if you bought some cheap cast wheels from AM or not. That's your decision that you went with that works best for you and your budget. But there is things you don't skimp on that is anything that has to do with engine management and longevity.

donutninja
04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
The cheapness is with anything, really. When I was in the Nissan scene you had $1500 cars with $8k worth of quality parts and $1500 cars with the same mods for $2000 because they went eBay and knockoff.

I had no problem going knock off on my s13 because it was a weekend warrior that was down more than it was running. It was a fun track car.

My mustang, a V6, is my daily but still AutoX toy and this go around I'm going all quality tried and tested parts. I'm also a little better off than I was 6 years ago. I do wish there was a little more support of the 3.7L, though.

Dominic Toretto
04-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Yet again, you're exaggerating for effect. My point is that people buy these nice cars and then cheap out on important things like a quality tune. I don't give a shit if you bought some cheap cast wheels from AM or not. That's your decision that you went with that works best for you and your budget. But there is things you don't skimp on that is anything that has to do with engine management and longevity.

Regardless of the exxageration, you got the point friend :).

And I agree about a tune but, it's not like you're gauranteed a perfect tune from anyone so why knock single out American Muscle? You can go anywhere and potentially receive a crappy tune. How many people here have had to go back more than once to tuners for a retune? Are some more or less reliable than others? Sure but, that is hardly a promise.

-Alex

Grandpa
04-11-2014, 04:22 PM

And I agree about a tune but, it's not like you're gauranteed a perfect tune from anyone so why knock single out American Muscle? You can go anywhere and potentially receive a crappy tune. How many people here have had to go back more than once to tuners for a retune? Are some more or less reliable than others? Sure but, that is hardly a promise.

-Alex

I'm not singling out AM, but was commenting to Danner's comment about the cheap tuners such as AM/Bama etc being pushed out of the market. Eventually you will see in time the shabby shortcuts those guys do with their tunes. It will be very eye opening for you.

Dominic Toretto
04-11-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm not singling out AM, but was commenting to Danner's comment about the cheap tuners such as AM/Bama etc being pushed out of the market. Eventually you will see in time the shabby shortcuts those guys do with their tunes. It will be very eye opening for you.

I don't have one, my car is still stock and under warranty! Hooray for me!

My understanding of who can/can't afford a car is if it breaks you either can/can't afford to fix it. I can afford to fix anything I have done already, engine/transmission, nope. That's why they are stock. I won't mess with tuning and power mods until I can afford deal with down time and/or thousands in repairs. To me, no matter how great a shop's work is, they still aren't responsible for effing something up. So you have to be.

-Alex

DirtyD
04-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Bama offers cookie cutter tunes. They have certain parameters that likely never change depending on each car. Tune "A" for a stock car. Tune "B" for a stock car with intake. Tune "C" for stock car with intake no cats, etc. They input the handheld device information, your car's stradegy code, and send you the tune file. More often than not that tune is not greater than a baseline tune from a reputable tuner, but the owner doesn't recognize that or take the time to check the tune out.

My analogy for it. You don't go out and buy a "cookie cutter" subdivision home for $100k and expect the quality of fit & finish to be on par or exceeding that of a house built next door with better quality materials for $180k.

kdanner
04-11-2014, 04:44 PM

-Alex

I know you don't do the same thing with your car that I do, and probably have no interest in doing so, and that's fine. Let me explain my perspective though. I constantly have people looking for nitrous on my car, or asking what kind of blower it has on it, things like that. I put the parts on there that I think are going to make it the fastest. Sometimes I get that wrong, and if I do that part gets replaced. Yeah I get the funny looks about having a 30" tire on there, about the car sitting so high, about it being so plain with no spoiler and a regular GT front fascia and grille with no fogs, the front wheels being tucked in, "I'm crazy for spending a grand on a water pump", things like that. Those who question how it runs like it does have some of the answers right in front of their faces, but can't see past their own need to have the same heavy racestar wheels as everyone else, the same heavy MT tires as everyone else, the same 60' ruining lowering springs as everyone else, the same ABC tooner on forum XYZ as everyone else, etc, etc. Hmmm, maybe that is why their cars all run the same? The good stuff costs more, but to me the performance is worth it. AM is certainly not the only place, Latemodel sells a ton of cheap wheels too, are they still selling crappy BBR tunes also? Those places sell some quality stuff too, but small quantities compared to what they really are known for selling. You'd have to think the #1 sold thing for these cars is cheap black wheels from those 2 places, and they're making a killing pumping them out the door every day.

Dominic Toretto
04-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Well said kdanner.

I definitely get your point and your car is built a different way than mine. I just want to be pretty and don't care about setting a record. Your car did set a record I believe. Anyways, you are crazy, in a good way though.

-Alex

kdanner
04-11-2014, 04:59 PM
No records for me. Maybe when the Cobra Jet build is done I can go set an NHRA record, but I wouldn't count on it, it's a tough game over there.

I never claimed to not be crazy.

Well said kdanner.

I definitely get your point and your car is built a different way than mine. I just want to be pretty and don't care about setting a record. Your car did set a record I believe. Anyways, you are crazy, in a good way though.

-Alex

DirtyD
04-11-2014, 05:28 PM
I can see where Latemodel and AM are coming from though. The Mustang is the most modified car in the US, owned by kids in high school to men in their 60s, maybe even 70s. They are there to provide decent quality parts for those looking to modify their cars on a budget.

STROKD
04-11-2014, 08:26 PM
I still never see chicks driving Mustang GTs... EVER. I dont gaf what Ford says... maybe they buy them and make their husbands drive them around in it... that I could see.:buttkick:

5PointSlow
04-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I once got a blowey from a chick that owned a mustang while driving my mustang. Does that count?

Crimson600+HP
04-11-2014, 11:04 PM
I tried to get my truck with a bench seat in order to facilitate getting blowey's. Center consoles are great, but sure make it difficult for that.

For those who hate douchebag parkers.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/30570/chalk-shaming-of-terrible-park-job-is-both-creative-and-effective