PDA

View Full Version : Daily Driver Discrimination

JDMLOL
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Does anyone feel as though they are treated differently by their fellow drivers when you are driving your daily? I swear, when I'm in my Volvo I get the impression that EVERYONE has to pass me just because I'm in an old car. Whether I'm doing 75-80 in the fast lane or not everyone goes around me. Prime example: this morning I'm driving along and this ass in a Suburban behind me and I do one of those nearly coordinated lane changes where we change lanes almost at the same time. This jerk basically taps my bumper keeping me in my lane. Then I end up getting in another lane and leaving him. Lol. I'm not sure if it's just my perception or not. In my stang I just drop it in 3rd or 4th and get in any hole that I can safely fit in.

kanetrain
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
My mustang is my daily :happy107: so I get a lot of thumbs up and "nice car!" yells.

DirtyD
04-04-2014, 09:29 AM
My Mustang is my daily, atm, so I just drop gears and leave the dipshits that try and mess with me or cut me off in the mornings.

I'm about to pick up a Supercrew, so let's see if that changes. Just need to get me a Ranch Hand....

Klownz
04-04-2014, 10:18 AM
lol, get what your saying...my problem is when I'm in the stang nothing like that ever happens.

Grandpa
04-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Stop clogging up the flow of traffic in the fast lane. Slower cars move to the right! Lane campers suck! :D

Stone
04-04-2014, 11:27 AM
My Mustang is my daily, atm, so I just drop gears and leave the dipshits that try and mess with me or cut me off in the mornings.

I'm about to pick up a Supercrew, so let's see if that changes. Just need to get me a Ranch Hand....

People definitely get the hell out of the way when you're in a truck. Lovin it.

PCB
04-04-2014, 11:34 AM

Back when I drove this, no one really fucked with me. Ever since it's not the same but in the SRT people moved over, didn't tailgate and definitely never made eye contact.

rriddle3
04-04-2014, 11:45 AM
...Whether I'm doing 75-80 in the fast lane or not ...
There is no such thing as "the fast lane". It's called the passing lane. If you're not passing, move over.

1303Back when I drove this, no one really fucked with me. Ever since it's not the same but in the SRT people moved over, didn't tailgate and definitely never made eye contact.
They saw a 300 on 24s and figured you had a gun and no insurance. :snoopfacepalm:

Grandpa
04-04-2014, 11:46 AM

Back when I drove this, no one really fucked with me. Ever since it's not the same but in the SRT people moved over, didn't tailgate and definitely never made eye contact.

They were of being on the receiving end of a drive by.. lol

JDMLOL
04-04-2014, 11:49 AM
I was attempting to pass slow traffic in the middle lane. When I'm in the passing lane I am passing cars to my right. If someone is riding my ass I get over and then get back in the passing lane because I usually am passing slower cars to the right...

JDMLOL
04-04-2014, 11:50 AM
People just decide that I am some idiot that doesn't drive the speed limit in my 28 year old volvo.

JDMLOL
04-04-2014, 12:23 PM
They saw a 300 on 24s and figured you had a gun and no insurance. :snoopfacepalm:

Lol.

Klownz
04-04-2014, 12:36 PM
:gr_guns::gr_guns::gr_guns::gr_guns:There is no such thing as "the fast lane". It's called the passing lane. If you're not passing, move over.

garner
04-04-2014, 09:48 PM
People definitely get the hell out of the way when you're in a truck. Lovin it.

Not down here lol. When I had my ram with a ranch hand they said oh let me cut you off

MnemonicGhost
04-04-2014, 11:09 PM
My 2006 Xterra daily driver isn't completely ignored. I drive it pretty "briskly" and you'll know if you're holding me up if you glance at a mirror. I drive 121 from McKinney to Plano every day during rush hour, so I may be a little jaded. Your mileage may vary, but I've noticed a few common stereotypes of drivers and their vehicles:

Trucks are most common to think they are god in the left lane. Domestics most often, the newer and more suburban (lifted 4x4 but pristine bodywork) the worst it is. Tow mirrors or not, they have no idea, clue or care who is behind them. Dodge seem to be the worst offender.

Next are the moms in their minivans, commonly BMW X5 and other luxury mini suvs. I just don't think they know any better, but love to see a cell phone in their hand or their emergency 4 lane change to make their exit!

Next up is folks with Texas Tech logos on their car. I think driving like a jerk is on the entrance exam. Scores multiply if you see any greek letters. Not sure why, but they are almost worst than your BMW/Mercedes crowd.

BMW/Mercedes luxury fleet. Audi owners seem to be exempt, as long as not riced out. While this crowd does drive fast, they will be damned if they ever get out of your way or that of any other common man. Blinker bulbs are pristine and never need replacing since they are never used.

El_Tortuga
04-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Traffic behaves differently. When I drove my old Capri which was ratty, rusty, and sporting black steel aero knockoffs(way before it was a "look") I was like a leper, I was given plenty of space. Merging was a breeze. I never had the guts to get the "no insurance" windshield sticker as I didnt even get it inspected the last 3-4 years of its life (cheaper to pay a ticket every year or two than fix emmisions). Got a new truck with paper tags and it was like I had static cling. Bastards!!!

Worst was a mercury tracer wagon. NOBODY liked being passed by that, and they would speed back up on me left and right. It was sooooo gutless I couldn't fight back. Cheap family car when I had to have cheap to survive.

Drove an older 1 ton work diesel for a while. It was the old body style Ford in plain white rapper that rattled and clattered like a spray can. Driving that in traffic I felt like Moses parting the seas. Nobody wanted that beast on their bumper or even close by.

Mustang is DD so all is cool. Get some respect, and if a spot is there, acceleration is so effortless, quick, and easy. They don't have time to react. Of course I'd prefer a giant safety bubble of space that simply isn't available in the city. :)

JDMLOL
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
but love to see a cell phone in their hand or their emergency 4 lane change to make their exit!

Oh, I love seeing that. "Let me risk a massive pile up because I'm in too big of a hurry to go down one exit and turn around..."

donutninja
04-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Oh, I love seeing that. "Let me risk a massive pile up because I'm in too big of a hurry to go down one exit and turn around..."

Since moving to Dallas, I'm convinced that if anyone misses their exit, a lightning bold tears through the sky and they immediately die.

kirbster
04-05-2014, 11:57 AM
I feel like people tailgate me or try to pass me in my truck. In the Mustang it rarely happens.

JDMLOL
04-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Since moving to Dallas, I'm convinced that if anyone misses their exit, a lightning bold tears through the sky and they immediately die.

Right. The absolute worst place people do that is the eastbound side of the IH-20/820/287 interchange near Arlington/Kennedale.

fordplay
04-07-2014, 07:43 AM
The mustang is my daily so I don't have to suffer by driving a 28 year old car every day, I bought it to drive and it's street legal, ( meaning if yours isn't street legal I understand) and I have no delusion that my mass produced vehicle is a classic, ford sells roughly 5,000 a month..

JDMLOL
04-07-2014, 10:52 AM
The mustang is my daily so I don't have to suffer by driving a 28 year old car every day, I bought it to drive and it's street legal, ( meaning if yours isn't street legal I understand) and I have no delusion that my mass produced vehicle is a classic, ford sells roughly 5,000 a month..

My car 28 a year old volvo is street legal in every aspect. I drive it all over the metroplex with over 300k on the stock drivetrain. Naw, the mustang will never be worth anything. Who would want a nice low mileage pony car in 40 years?

DirtyD
04-07-2014, 11:20 AM
My 2006 Xterra daily driver isn't completely ignored. I drive it pretty "briskly" and you'll know if you're holding me up if you glance at a mirror. I drive 121 from McKinney to Plano every day during rush hour, so I may be a little jaded. Your mileage may vary, but I've noticed a few common stereotypes of drivers and their vehicles:

Trucks are most common to think they are god in the left lane. Domestics most often, the newer and more suburban (lifted 4x4 but pristine bodywork) the worst it is. Tow mirrors or not, they have no idea, clue or care who is behind them. Dodge seem to be the worst offender.

Next are the moms in their minivans, commonly BMW X5 and other luxury mini suvs. I just don't think they know any better, but love to see a cell phone in their hand or their emergency 4 lane change to make their exit!

Next up is folks with Texas Tech logos on their car. I think driving like a jerk is on the entrance exam. Scores multiply if you see any greek letters. Not sure why, but they are almost worst than your BMW/Mercedes crowd.

BMW/Mercedes luxury fleet. Audi owners seem to be exempt, as long as not riced out. While this crowd does drive fast, they will be damned if they ever get out of your way or that of any other common man. Blinker bulbs are pristine and never need replacing since they are never used.
You hit every single topic I would ever talk about. lol

Antothoro
04-07-2014, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I avoid this because I drive my stang daily.

fordplay
04-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Your plan is to be alive in 40 years? And still have that car? Yeah with as fleeting and fickle as life is that's a terrible plan.. life is too short to force yourself to drive a pos. It's too short to eat cheap steaks, smoke cheap cigars, swill cheap booze. Live within your means but enjoy what you can. I could have kept my focus and forced myself to drive it during the week and polish the mustang in the garage. And only take it out on sunny days and meets and.... no I'm sorry I can't even finish that it's boring me to death. . I understand if you need a daily driver that's a Mercedes suv because you are a realtor, or a truck because you haul bricks. But if you don't. . It's like having a model for a wife but banging her grandmother because you don't want to wear it out...

5PointSlow
04-08-2014, 07:40 AM
Your plan is to be alive in 40 years? And still have that car? Yeah with as fleeting and fickle as life is that's a terrible plan.. life is too short to force yourself to drive a pos. It's too short to eat cheap steaks, smoke cheap cigars, swill cheap booze. Live within your means but enjoy what you can. I could have kept my focus and forced myself to drive it during the week and polish the mustang in the garage. And only take it out on sunny days and meets and.... no I'm sorry I can't even finish that it's boring me to death. . I understand if you need a daily driver that's a Mercedes suv because you are a realtor, or a truck because you haul bricks. But if you don't. . It's like having a model for a wife but banging her grandmother because you don't want to wear it out...

Epic post sir!!! I agree and you sure as hell can't take any of this stuff with you when you die!

I have two vehicles my 14 FX4 EgoBoost and my 5.0. The truck is my family hauler/grocery getter and I pretty much daily my 5.0. The only days I don't drive my stang to work is when they call for hail.

As far as discrimination for driving I get looks all the time like I'm put driving my dad's truck or mustang. I'm not rich by any means but I have a very successful career in the Navy which has allowed me to afford nice things at 31. Most people assume I'm early/mid 20s when they first talk to me. I'm not mad lol, but some of the looks by dudes in their 50s is kind of amusing.

DirtyD
04-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I plan on keeping my 5.0 until it's totaled or stolen and not recovered. It's been a car I've always wanted, regardless of the fact it's a POS in Steve's mind. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. 1) It's the last retro design, which I'm found of, and 2) it will be paid off and turned into an epic toy years from now.

03MachMe
04-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Main reason for a dd for me is to haul the family and that way I have something to drive when I break something on the mustang. Since I actually race mine it's only time before stuff breaks and when it does I like the option to take my time to fix it. Plus I would rather drive a pos in the rain /sleet/etc then my mustang

Dominic Toretto
04-08-2014, 09:56 AM
I love how this thread got turned right back into people debating on why/why not someone should/shouldn't have a daily.

-Alex

Grandpa
04-08-2014, 09:57 AM
I plan on keeping my 5.0 until it's totaled or stolen and not recovered. It's been a car I've always wanted, regardless of the fact it's a POS in Steve's mind. I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. 1) It's the last retro design, which I'm found of, and 2) it will be paid off and turned into an epic toy years from now.

I never said the car was a POS. :upyours:

Grandpa
04-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Main reason for a dd for me is to haul the family and that way I have something to drive when I break something on the mustang. Since I actually race mine it's only time before stuff breaks and when it does I like the option to take my time to fix it. Plus I would rather drive a pos in the rain /sleet/etc then my mustang

Agreed x100.

The little bit I got to drive my 5.0, I enjoyed it for the most part. It's a nice cruiser, good entry level sports car. Just not practical for me with a family being near impossible to get two cars seats into the rear and still everyone ride comfortably.

DirtyD
04-08-2014, 10:04 AM
I never said the car was a POS. :upyours:
I'm kidding. But I know that is the thought in most people's mind ("Why would you keep a Mustang?").

Ryan's post basically sums up my thoughts.

Grandpa
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. Anyone who thinks I'm a Mustang hater of any kind clearly doesn't know me. I've probably owned more Stangs than anyone here on this board over the years. Just because I bought the V and selling my 5.0, doesn't make me a hater or anyone should assume I have a negative opinion of it. It just doesn't fit into my life right now with a family. I don't get the enjoyment out of the Stang because I'm not able to use it very often due to having two small kids with me 90% of the time. Getting car seats in and out of the back of a Stang is not easy nor enjoyable. I've had the car two years now and only been able to put 11k miles on it, most of those miles riding alone without my family.

That being said, I still won't be Mustang-less. I still have the Mach sitting here when I get the urge to row gears and hear the wonderful sound of a Mustang again. It's paid for and not being used. A blank canvas to go absolutely nuts with if I choose to do so. Also, if Ford does a Mach in the new S550 platform, we will be buying one. There will always be Mustangs in this family. :)

All of that being said, there is nothing wrong at all enjoying what else is out there being offered to enjoy. If someone want to hate on me for not being blind brand loyal, that is fine. I feel sorry for anyone who is so rabidly blindly brand loyal to a company that holds no loyality to them. It's short sighted not to enjoy anything cool and fast. I love my V and will make no apologies for it. It's a cool, fast, well handling car that I can enjoy every single day and still have room for my family.

Crimson600+HP
04-08-2014, 11:11 AM
^ truth

Clrd2lnd
04-08-2014, 01:23 PM

^True^

Never seen a BMW run out of Blinker Fluid. Too much effort to reach three inches and push up or down on a plastic stick.

fordplay
04-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Dirty, yeah Steve called mine a slow pos also.. but he did roll up on me at a red light and ask for some grey poupon with 4 friends in the caddy all smoking cigars, before ripping the rear tires loose and running the red light thru traffic tossing out cans of ensure at on coming traffic..

Ha ha ha

Grandpa
04-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Dirty, yeah Steve called mine a slow pos also.. but he did roll up on me at a red light and ask for some grey poupon with 4 friends in the caddy all smoking cigars, before ripping the rear tires loose and running the red light thru traffic tossing out cans of ensure at on coming traffic..

Ha ha ha

Sorry. I pulled up to the light and saw you on the corner holding a cardboard sign..:winner_second_h4h:

fordplay
04-10-2014, 06:44 AM
Then why would I have grey poupon? The sign clearly said will suck gentlemen sausage for money!!

DirtyD
04-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Ha ha ha

Hahahaha

Grandpa
04-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Then why would I have grey poupon? The sign clearly said will suck gentlemen sausage for money!!

:gayfight:

virtu
04-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Have owned the Mustang for almost 2 years now and for the most part I've not had any problems with anyone giving me shit. Once in a blue moon I will have a slowmaro or coquette either rev their engine at me or worse, do a fly-by past me. Smh...

G-Mann
04-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I think I deal with the same ole A-holes no matter what I drive but if I am in the 5.0 it brings more options to the table for me.

The 5.0 does warrant more respect on the road no doubt but it also sounds, looks and drives the part.

Everyone has their reasons for having a DD, sure mine is not as nice as my stang but it does bring some cool options to my table and is a great compliment to my 5.0. I had 3 years and 40k miles of daily driving fun in the 5.0, now I get to enjoy the stang when the weather is right and no rush hour traffic. A couple times a week is good enough for me. In 3 years one of them has got to go, not sure which 1 I am going to replace at this point, but if I replace the civic my next DD might be better than my 5.0.