PDA

View Full Version : car and driver & motor trend.

fordplay
04-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Ok so last night my popular science, car and driver and motor trend mags were in my mail box, and of course both had the z/28 on the cover. Good article's, motor trend talked about the 60 tread wear on the tires for the camaro, didn't mention the gtr but did note the porsche and 220.. ok.. then I looked at car and driver... The test numbers didn't match up... This is normal as car and drivers numbers are always slower than motortrend, but in the comparison chart car and driver had faster numbers than motor trend with the gt500, with better braking and better cornering g's. .. strange?? C&D was faster with the gt500 but slower with every other car? And in MT test they couldn't get a track edition gtr or the gt3 from porsche. .. so I looked up past results for the last few years.. you know motor trend when the test GM cars they come out number 1... The zl1 the SS the new SS not the camaro.. They awarded the new chevy truck, truck of the year... so I looked further... for the last 3 years GM spent 4.2 and 3.6 BILLION in advertising.. ranking number 1 or 2 for most money spent in advertising by a company. .. is it just me or does this seem strange? Before you respond look it up. It takes mere minutes.

Dominic Toretto
04-01-2014, 08:40 AM
IB4GMSucksposts.

-Alex

fordplay
04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Stop! That's not what I said!! Ha ha

Dominic Toretto
04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Stop! That's not what I said!! Ha ha

I know. I'm just getting here before those start rolling in:chewie:

-Alex

Grandpa
04-01-2014, 09:24 AM
IMO, the magazine "reviews" are nothing more than bought and paid for opinions that are really nothing more than extensive advertisements. Anything the magazines say should be taken with a grain of salt.

Futwa
04-01-2014, 09:50 AM
IMO, the magazine "reviews" are nothing more than bought and paid for opinions that are really nothing more than extensive advertisements. Anything the magazines say should be taken with a grain of salt.

What he said. I do like watching Randy Pobst reviews on youtube though, it seems like he remains pretty neutral and honest about most cars.

DirtyD
04-01-2014, 09:57 AM
This, to the "T". It's unfortunate, but it's true.

I'll wait for Top Gear to get a hold of a Z/28 and put the Stig behind it to see how it does. :lol:

kdanner
04-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Print media. How quaint. Welcome to last century!

03MachMe
04-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Says the guy with a pony tail.....

kdanner
04-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Says the guy with a pony tail.....

Aren't you the guy from the villiage people? :lol2:

03MachMe
04-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Yep considering they were before I was born, Yea that's me

fordplay
04-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Ok if you have a pony tail and are not rocking D's you can't comment and expect it to be taken serious.. unless it's about graphic art's, or where the best pot is.... dam hippy!! Ha ha.. yeah I think they are all bought and paid for but it's just sad isn't it?? Because I want to trust them.. let's start our own magazine and car show.. dom will be the chevy guy. I'll be the Ford guy, Steve will review comfortable cars and hard candies, (he's so going to hit me for all the old comments) it would be awesome. Like top gear UK because we'd all disagree on everything

DirtyD
04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Ok if you have a pony tail and are not rocking D's you can't comment and expect it to be taken serious.. unless it's about graphic art's, or where the best pot is.... dam hippy!! Ha ha.. yeah I think they are all bought and paid for but it's just sad isn't it?? Because I want to trust them.. let's start our own magazine and car show.. dom will be the chevy guy. I'll be the Ford guy, Steve will review comfortable cars and hard candies, (he's so going to hit me for all the old comments) it would be awesome. Like top gear UK because we'd all disagree on everything
Mullet wears a pony tail sometimes. And his cars are way better than ours.

03MachMe
04-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Mullet wears a pony tail sometimes. And his cars are way better than ours.

That's an opinion...

Grandpa
04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
That's an opinion...

TT Ford GT..

TT UGR Superleggra Gallardo..

Mustang Gt.

Yeah, I can see how you come to that. :roflsquared:

03MachMe
04-02-2014, 12:09 PM
TT Ford GT..

TT UGR Superleggra Gallardo..

Mustang Gt.

Yeah, I can see how you come to that. :roflsquared:

I thought he was saying Danner has a mullet and wears a ponytail. Yes I agree the Mullet has better cars than us.

DirtyD
04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Yeah, I meant the real Mullet. lol. I've only seen wbt and talked to him. Never seen kdanner.

El_Tortuga
04-02-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't consider any media unbiased.

I subscribe to C&D mostly because with their reviews you can glean which car would be your selection, i.e their writeups describe the vehicle characteristics well. Even within their ranks, the various testers opinions do vary. I do tend to trust their test numbers better, but with any of them they are only valid if the other car is tested under identical conditions. With C&D, you can pretty much guarantee the BMW will win most comparos, and they are worthless in evaluating trucks. The most "carlike" wins every truck comparo, the closest they do to load testing is pick up a dryer @ Home Depot. LOL

kdanner
04-02-2014, 01:16 PM
I've never had a mullet. My hair hasn't been cut since, well, last century. Back when print media maybe had some relevancy left. If these mags were real world, then when you go to the track you'd see stock SS Camaros running times virtually identical to stock 5.0 Mustangs. Seen any lately? Anyone? Bueller?

fordplay
04-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Motor trend revised their rating system a year or so ago now? Where it's in categories, and each category has "opinions" for points.. like in the gt500 vs zl1 even though the gt500 performance section beat the zl1 the reviewers opinions on performance provided a win for the chevy in that section. .. I'm sorry performance should be numbers.. yeah C&D has better reviews but strange numbers, they are fun to read sometimes and I keep getting them because my kids have fundraisers so I get a year subscription for like $10.00 but It just ticks me off sometimes.

Crimson600+HP
04-03-2014, 09:57 AM
Motor trend revised their rating system a year or so ago now? Where it's in categories, and each category has "opinions" for points.. like in the gt500 vs zl1 even though the gt500 performance section beat the zl1 the reviewers opinions on performance provided a win for the chevy in that section. .. I'm sorry performance should be numbers.. yeah C&D has better reviews but strange numbers, they are fun to read sometimes and I keep getting them because my kids have fundraisers so I get a year subscription for like $10.00 but It just ticks me off sometimes.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt5002013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-vs-2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1.pdf

Car magazines are still interesting to me. I like to read them while taking a dump. I have turned mostly to youtube now as MotorTrends channel, along with some other channels are much better at reviewing the cars and as a bonus you get to see the car perform on a road and/or track. I prefer C&D when it comes to the magazines though, there rating system was a little more fair with the ZL1 vs GT500 test.

fordplay
04-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Maybe C&D were more fair but still the new ratings where personal opinion enter into it... that bull shit purchased .. you know? One of my favorite tests was the M3 vs the 2011 mustang.. The M3 won the track, barely and the mustang won the 1/4 mile but on the track the writer made a better lap time with the mustang, then the tame racing driver got in to them both and pushed the BMW like it was meant to and beat the mustang, but they compared numbers. Some of the interior tests were opinions but and M3 interior compared to a mustang. . Come on the M3 killed it.. but it seemed like an honest test.. I'm not saying GM vehicles are crap "DOM" but GM has been purchasing test results lately

DirtyD
04-04-2014, 09:33 AM
The Smoking Tire and /DRIVE are amazing YouTube channels for such unbiased car comparisons.

Crimson600+HP
04-04-2014, 11:07 AM
The Smoking Tire and /DRIVE are amazing YouTube channels for such unbiased car comparisons.

Truth. Matt tends to get more of the normal cars we can possible afford. Chris gets the European and pasta rockets that we all wish we could afford lol.

fordplay
04-14-2014, 07:22 AM
I like the smoking tire.. but go back in his videos 3 or 4 years, he is very ford bias, in past videos he even bad mouthed the volt and cars like it.. what is he saying is the best car ever now? The volt he has, I think he is still a little ford bias but he's pushing that volt thing way too hard