PDA

View Full Version : Installed LCAs (and Roush splitters), now THAT's better!

Varilux
03-20-2014, 02:05 PM
After seeing some reduction in wheel hop after installing the Ford Racing P springs, I decided to try and further improve things by installing some SR Performance LCAs (I also threw some Roush chin and side splitters on at the same time just to have something visible to look at).

I would say the hop has been reduced to <10% of the factory set-up. Now instead of hopping, I just spin. Seriously, you would think the Pirelli P-Zeros would manage to grip better- I can induce fishtailing in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd gears (if traction is this fleeting at around 430hp, I can't imagine how the 660+hp Shelbys are even driveable).

The installation wasn't all that bad (just have to do one side at a time to avoid having the axle move during install). Getting the front bushings into the mounting location is definitely tight- but I guess that's the point. LCA install took about 1.5 hours total on jack stands. Its probably not possible to get the 129 ft/lb of torque without a breaker bar (tightest I've ever had to get a bolt).

The ride is DEFINITELY firmer in the back with the stiffer springs and LCAs, and it feels great going through a curve (going around on ramps at high speed makes me wish I had gotten the Recaros- but I wanted red seats... is it possible to hook up a four point harness with the stock seats?).

We ran down to College Station over the weekend to purchase our daughter's first car (an '06 Mustang- that gives us a '65, '03, '06, and '14 in the driveway- along with our '11 F150... starting to look like a Ford dealership :rofl:), and it didn't seem any noisier than the stock set-up (made driving along the twisty back roads along the way fun, though).

donutninja
03-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Looking good!!

zsommer79
03-20-2014, 07:17 PM
I can induce fishtailing in 1st, 2nd, and even 3rd gears (if traction is this fleeting at around 430hp, I can't imagine how the 660+hp Shelbys are even driveable).

I don't think the wheel hop is nearly as bad in the Shelby as the GT, but the fishtailing is worse for sure.

KurvStr8nr
03-20-2014, 11:09 PM
The reason you don't have wheel hop is because you reduced the dynamic load on the rear wheels when you lowered the car (which alters LCA geometry) which makes it spin the tires more easily. If you want to get your grip back, install some LCA relocation brackets to correct the rear end goemetry. You can get them from Vorshlag (Whiteline mfg'd).

Varilux
03-20-2014, 11:13 PM
If you want to get your grip back, install some LCA relocation brackets to correct the rear end goemetry.

Thanks for the tip! While the spinning is definitely better than the wheel hop, its still keeping me from putting the power to the ground. I'll have to look into relocating the brackets as you suggest! As it is, it just feels like the rear is going to go round on me when I punch it in 2nd.

re-rx7
03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
The reason you don't have wheel hop is because you reduced the dynamic load on the rear wheels when you lowered the car (which alters LCA geometry) which makes it spin the tires more easily. If you want to get your grip back, install some LCA relocation brackets to correct the rear end goemetry. You can get them from Vorshlag (Whiteline mfg'd).

Looking into this.

KurvStr8nr
03-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Go talk to the guys over at Vorshlag. They can help you solve any suspension / traction problem you have - good stuff and they know what they are doing.

DirtyD
03-21-2014, 09:34 AM
^This.

It also helps to have some actual tires under there too. Those Pirellis aren't known to be grip machines.

Varilux
03-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Well, I know the Pirellis are useless in the cold (drove 19 miles down I-35 to work on one of the 18 degree ice days... scariest ride I've ever had). I was assuming they are supposed to be extremely grippy on warm days. What is Ford's rationale for including them with the Track Pack?

I'm looking forward to wearing them out so I can put some Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on there- I've had them on 3 different vehicles, and they are tremendous.

DirtyD
03-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Well, I know the Pirellis are useless in the cold (drove 19 miles down I-35 to work on one of the 18 degree ice days... scariest ride I've ever had). I was assuming they are supposed to be extremely grippy on warm days. What is Ford's rationale for including them with the Track Pack?

I'm looking forward to wearing them out so I can put some Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on there- I've had them on 3 different vehicles, and they are tremendous.
Because Ford has a contract with Pirelli for a lot of their "higher end" tires on vehicles. There are some Pirellis that are excellent, but the P Zero that come on the Brembo and Track Pack aren't as good as they should be for a car like ours.

Also, on those Continentals, are you getting DW or DWS? The DWS is an all season, so grip will be marginal. You would want the DW as it's the summer tire.

Varilux
03-21-2014, 02:55 PM
I've always ordered the DWS tires over the DWs (because the tread wear is about twice as long). I've never had any traction issues with the DWS tires, and one set was on a tuned turbocharged Saab 9-3 Aero that spun tires like crazy (the 2.8T V6 in those cars was quite a nice setup). The side walls aren't as stiff as they could be for cornering, but otherwise its the perfect tire.

DirtyD
03-21-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm just not quite sure about using an all-season tire on a 3800#, 400 hp, RWD sports car.

garner
03-21-2014, 05:54 PM
All seasons aren't that bad. My 235 Yokohama yk580 cut the same 60 ft as my 275 sumitomo htrz3, 2-2.1. Plus the yk feel a lot safer on the streets. But there's definitely better out there for sure, just depends on driving style and budget

Crimson600+HP
03-23-2014, 02:43 PM
For daily driving and occasional spirited street driving, a high performance all season is all these cars need. I run them for when I'm driving my car on the street just fine. In reference to their performance on the track, I would never run them. You won't be able to keep up with anyone when trying to keep up inn the twists, brake zones, or when rolling on the throttle during track out.

Brn N Rubr
03-23-2014, 03:01 PM
As far as your other question goes, you can bolt in a complete 5-point harness in the car with no modifications. They make a harness bar for the the shoulder straps that mounts to the stock shoulder strap mounts. They also make an anti-sub belt mount that bolts in between the stock from seat mounts.

Varilux
03-23-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the info on the harness... I looked up the harness bar. I don't carry passengers in the back seat often, but do on occasion (and it looks like that would be out of the question with the bar installed).

If I were to install that I would go ahead and delete the rear seat (and the red seats were the reason I didn't go with the Recaros in the first place)...