PDA

View Full Version : LED map lights installed

DallasGator
03-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Simple $12+shipping and great results. Bought the bulbs on superbrightLEDs. They look identical to the $30 bulbs on AmericanMuscle but 1/3 of the price. (WLED-WHP5: Cool White)

Install was very easy except the darned LED bulbs don't fit into the plastic hole. If i had a drill or file on hand I would have lightly enlarged the hole. But since I didn't :upyours: I had to jam them in and hope they didn't break, got lucky that one made a cracking sound but nothing visible happened. Here is the result.

http://i.imgur.com/uwdjmK1l.jpg

Sorry I forgot to take a before picture from outside the car. Note that this is inside a parking garage with so-so visibility.

DirtyD
03-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Same exact bulbs in my car. They.

Pat McCrotch
03-11-2014, 12:49 AM
To get the light cover off, do you just yank it down? Or is there a trick? I have tried to pull mine off but it feels like it's going to rip the damn headliner right off.

re-rx7
03-11-2014, 12:55 AM
You pull down the little plastic pieces not the whole cover. Use a flathead with a cloth.

DallasGator
03-11-2014, 04:37 PM
You pull down the little plastic pieces not the whole cover. Use a flathead with a cloth.

Not quite. That is actually not right at all.

To get the light cover off, do you just yank it down? Or is there a trick? I have tried to pull mine off but it feels like it's going to rip the damn headliner right off.

it really didn't take much force. Pull down from the front of the cover. I held the headliner while pulling the cover down but it didn't move much anyway. Americanmuscle.com has a good write up.

re-rx7
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Not quite. That is actually not right at all.

it really didn't take much force. Pull down from the front of the cover. I held the headliner while pulling the cover down but it didn't move much anyway. Americanmuscle.com has a good write up.

Well then you must have don alot more then neccasary because every place I looked at said that is how to do it. Thats exactly how I did it. Took all of 2 minutes. Work smarter not harder.

DallasGator
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Well then you must have don alot more then neccasary because every place I looked at said that is how to do it. Thats exactly how I did it. Took all of 2 minutes. Work smarter not harder.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/526618-how-to-swap-out-your-map-lights-for-leds-pics.html

This shows how to put in bulbs that don't fit through the sockets. You still remove the entire assembly. That is the first step in either method. Unless you tried to pop off the clear plastic while the assembly is up, that is just asking to break it.

re-rx7
03-11-2014, 05:26 PM
I popped the clear plastic off, inserted lights, replace plastic. ALso if you look at the plastic pieces they have tabs which shows they were meant to be removed. Ive had Zero probs and save time and possible future headliner probs. 1.00 plastic or 200.00 liner?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-14-shelby-gt500-413/889212-stupid-question-map-light-bulbs.html

DallasGator
03-13-2014, 09:04 PM
I popped the clear plastic off, inserted lights, replace plastic. ALso if you look at the plastic pieces they have tabs which shows they were meant to be removed. Ive had Zero probs and save time and possible future headliner probs. 1.00 plastic or 200.00 liner?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-14-shelby-gt500-413/889212-stupid-question-map-light-bulbs.html

1 person says to pry the lens off, every other person and instructions say to take the housing down. I'll go with the latter. Anyways, we both got it done with no damage, so w/e.

re-rx7
03-13-2014, 09:14 PM
1 person says to pry the lens off, every other person and instructions say to take the housing down. I'll go with the latter. Anyways, we both got it done with no damage, so w/e.

Jesus your dense.

downtime!
03-13-2014, 09:48 PM
I popped the lenses off mine as well. There are 2 small tabs and 1 large, impossible to mess it up. A small flat blade screwdriver and about 1 minute of my time. I used Superbrite LED's as well, but mine are made for exterior lighting (like a license plate light) and have multiple lights on each one. Very bright.

Dan12GT
03-14-2014, 12:55 PM
Same ones I have in mine as well. I recently replaced the trunk LED with the single LED bulb SBLEDs had. I originally had the one that had 9 individuals. I am amazed how bright 1 tiny LED can be. Its nearly twice as bright as the one with 9.

yefferys50
03-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Jesus your dense.

Clearly you're the dense one. He did it his way, many instructions out there side with him. You did it your way, as have a few others. F*cking shut up about it.

downtime!
03-27-2014, 08:43 PM
F*cking shut up about it.And yet here you are, dragging up a two week old dead thread, just to comment. Hello Pot? This is kettle, sup?