PDA

View Full Version : 93 Viper Prototypes to be Destroyed

Dominic Toretto
03-07-2014, 11:39 AM
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/post--chrysler-to-colleges-crush-93-viper-prototypes?icid=autos_5387&GT1=22032&ocid=ansauto11

"Chrysler has ordered students of a small community college in Olympia, Wash., to destroy a Dodge Viper GTS Coupe. And it’s not just any Viper GTS coupe, either — it’s the fourth Viper model off the production line that's been sitting for the past seven years at South Puget Sound Community College.

The pre-production car was donated, along with 92 other Vipers, by Chrysler to technical schools nationwide that offer automotive programs. The problem is, according to professor Norm Chapman, that despite the fact that these Vipers were educational tools that were never meant to see the open road, a couple of them "got loose." And predictably enough for a car with a 8.0-liter V10 underhood and no traction control or ABS to speak of, they were involved in accidents. So now, to mitigate lawsuits, the mint condition example you see before you with VIN number four is going bye-bye.

This particular Viper, while appearing to be a stock GTS coupe, is a prototype from 1992. It has a 600-horsepower V10 engine, a 2,200-pound fiberglass body with a "makeshift hard-top," according to the Tacoma News Tribune. When the GTS debuted in 1996, it came with a 450-horsepower V10 and more conventional body construction with a heavier curb weight.

The thing is with pre-production cars — particularly ones dating from the early ‘90’s — is that whether or not they were donated to schools or given to race teams, they were never built to see public highways. The industry slang for such cars, often released before they are able to meet safety or emissions standards, is “crusher,” because their fate was sealed even before they were born. So maybe it’s not that sad that this supercar, fatally injured-by-law, is meeting its inevitable demise. Wait, what are we talking about? Of course it’s that sad! Stop it Chrysler!

Never fear, though — students are trying to throw a wrench in Chrysler’s plans. Cierra Thomas, along with former student Stormy Hudson-Renstrom, have started a petition online to keep the Vipers out of the crusher.

Let’s hope they can get Chrysler to shift gears on its decision. If not, don't be surprised if you start reading stories like "Rare Dodge Viper disappears from community college garage" or "Third Viper disappearance in three days baffles authorities." This could get serious."

-Alex

JDMLOL
03-07-2014, 12:39 PM
What a shame. Oh well, 93 less Chrysler products around to cause heartaches.

Crimson600+HP
03-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Chrysler should have crushed these right away to avoid this issue. I know it is a no-no, but they are a liability out there. I just wish there was a better way of preserving these things and ensuring they are never on the road.

pohnjarker
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
wish i could buy it and tow it away in the middle of the night and put it up in my garage!!

Dominic Toretto
03-07-2014, 01:22 PM
I wish they would just give me one. It would take far less effort to give one to me than it would to pay someone to crush a car. Juss sayin.

-Alex