PDA

View Full Version : Painted vs. Vinyl Stripes

KurvStr8nr
02-20-2014, 10:14 PM
So we've had some threads on stripes vs. no stripes and what color stripes look best on [color] car, but I didn't find one covering the advantages / disadvantages of painting stripes vs. vinyl stripes. [now for the punch line...]

Anyone have any opinions to share?

zsommer79
02-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Painted are less work when detailing since you don't have to tape them off but if you change your mind you can't just peel them off. Vinyl also cost less and are better if you wanting a matte/flat finish.

ThunderkissGT14
02-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Painted are less work when detailing since you don't have to tape them off but if you change your mind you can't just peel them off. Vinyl also cost less and are better if you wanting a matte/flat finish.

tape down when detailing?

i've only heard you cant take a power washer to it, but as far as waxing rubbing on with cloth etc. you should be fine?

zsommer79
02-21-2014, 05:00 PM
tape down when detailing?

i've only heard you cant take a power washer to it, but as far as waxing rubbing on with cloth etc. you should be fine?

Wax is a no no for Vinyl. If you are smart you tape just past the edges of your stripes so you don't get a wax build up were the paint and stripe meet.

KurvStr8nr
02-24-2014, 12:50 AM
I've always questioned how long vinyl will hold up in the DFW heat. How long? Couple of years before you have trouble taking it off and replacing it?

TwoQuack
02-24-2014, 11:35 AM
We had BigWorm put double tape matte black on my son's Mustang. It's been a few years and it still looks good.

I have tape on my own 2014 Mustang as well. It is true you want to stay away from it with wax. But I put CQuartz Finest over the entire car, including tape graphics and it's helping protect it. And I never wax after this application.

Painted stripes are nothing short of finesse. They look fantastic, shine nice with the rest of the paint. You can do colors which aren't available in tape, such as true metallic finishes. It's the top finest approach. But it'll cost you 4x as much as tape.

Just a matter of preference.

PCB
02-24-2014, 12:59 PM
OP go see Pat @ American Body Works in Lewisville. Fair prices for amazing work. Trust me on this.