PDA

View Full Version : MT-82 shifters, Canada units are different

Darkhelmet22
02-13-2014, 12:45 AM
I just stumbled onto this. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/905396-attention-2013-owners-wanting-aftermarket-shifter-must-read-pic-inside.html

fordplay
02-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Hmmmmm... From the design room manual. . Parts that carry the same part number when modified, must not change, fit, form, or function, if they do then a new part number must be created. Meaning if they changed the part but kept the part number it must work with all existing parts on all existing cars.. so why doesn't the Barton fit... I looked up the Ford racing shifter bracket and it does not have any breakouts for years... All this says to me is, that bracket has design flaws. .

Darkhelmet22
02-13-2014, 09:10 AM
Hmmmmm... From the design room manual. . Parts that carry the same part number when modified, must not change, fit, form, or function, if they do then a new part number must be created. Meaning if they changed the part but kept the part number it must work with all existing parts on all existing cars.. so why doesn't the Barton fit... I looked up the Ford racing shifter bracket and it does not have any breakouts for years... All this says to me is, that bracket has design flaws. .

It doesn't change fit, form, or function in Ford's eyes. I see this all the time. We get parts that change and the number stays the same.

DirtyD
02-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Or maybe China/Mexico had design flaws, and it was always supposed to be 2"?

I've heard mention before of the fact that Ford pulled the Chinese and Mexican production of the MT82 parts due to lack of tolerances and poor build quality.

Darkhelmet22
02-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Well it sucks I was going to buy Downtime's barton shifter but now it seems it wont work. :-(

fordplay
02-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Parts can change as long as the changed parts fit both the new and old setups. People say Barton makes the Ford racing one.. they look similar. . However the Ford racing shifter handle allegedly adjusts.. Some statement in there about in some cars it's too short... so you adjust it up... so. This leads me to believe ford knew about this and Barton didnt.. I can't get a hold of any engineering drawings.. but I think once Barton figures out the difference they will have the part you need out... or.. or.. maybe if they are the same part... maybe it does adjust and no one knows it... I say buy it.. but get a good price.. I thought about it but I'm sooooooo happy with my stock setup... and I've had zero problems. .. I'm worried. .. seeing ford racing issue one though makes me feel good

DirtyD
02-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Everyone realizes that thread in from back in early 2013, right? barton should have the corrected shifter out.

Darkhelmet22
02-14-2014, 10:44 AM
Everyone realizes that thread in from back in early 2013, right? barton should have the corrected shifter out.

Ya they have I talked to them today about it.