PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads for Daily Use

Dominic Toretto
02-05-2014, 10:39 AM
What are your recommendations and why?

-Alex

saunupe1911
02-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Hawk or StopTech ceramic...low dust, low noise, and are strong for ceramics. StopTech ceramics could even do a few laps at the track and be ok afterwards.

StopTech normal brakes pad if you plan on doing any road course time....basically noiseless but have a lot of dust. You can bang on these all day in stop and go traffic on 100 degree days...trust me on that!!!

Hawk HPS...I run these in the rear. Very minimal dust for a mid range pad and noiseless in the rear. I've heard they are good in the fronts. Could do some light road course laps...but nothing aggressive.

Auto Anything has great prices on the pads all day long...and even better with their coupons. Just Google them

DirtyD
02-05-2014, 11:30 AM
I plan on getting EBC Yellow stuff pads for mine. But also plan to do more AutoX action.

TrueStreetTim
02-05-2014, 01:17 PM
I use EBC's on anything and everything. Daily or otherwise. That even includes my bicycles lol.

fordplay
02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
Www.brakeperformance.com

DirtyD
02-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Www.brakeperformance.com
I wasn't quite sure about their pads compared to others, so I didn't order them. I don't really want to be the guineau pig on brake pads.

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the information guys! Tim, check your pm when you have a moment please.

Www.brakeperformance.com

Thanks for that site. Has anyone purchased their rotors or calipers? Haven't heard of this site before and don't feel like being the one to test the waters. Is everything their own brand or are they selling someone else's brand of rotors and pads?

-Alex

DirtyD
02-06-2014, 11:12 AM
I have a set of their slotted rotors in my garage, just haven't had the chance to install them yet.

Crimson600+HP
02-06-2014, 11:16 AM
I have only ran the stock brembo pads and Hawk HP+ pads. These pads have seen both time on the road and on the road course. The Brembo stuff did well on the road course, but the HP+ pads were alot better. However, the HP+ pads are REALLY noisy daily driving. Every stop you will get that peircing squeel. I am probably going to try EBC next, or maybe even CarboTech as they have the best stuff out there IMO (but very pricey).

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 11:28 AM
I have a set of their slotted rotors in my garage, just haven't had the chance to install them yet.

Derek if you happen to have a moment at some time, I'd appreciate a picture of the rotors if'n ya don't mind :). Just to get some detailed views. The pics on the site look great but, not sure if the actual product looks better/worse.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 11:31 AM
I have only ran the stock brembo pads and Hawk HP+ pads. These pads have seen both time on the road and on the road course. The Brembo stuff did well on the road course, but the HP+ pads were alot better. However, the HP+ pads are REALLY noisy daily driving. Every stop you will get that peircing squeel. I am probably going to try EBC next, or maybe even CarboTech as they have the best stuff out there IMO (but very pricey).

My car is non Brembo equipped. Would the pads fit my calipers, or would I need to upgrade to Brembo calipers to fit those pads?

-Alex

DirtyD
02-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Derek if you happen to have a moment at some time, I'd appreciate a picture of the rotors if'n ya don't mind :). Just to get some detailed views. The pics on the site look great but, not sure if the actual product looks better/worse.

-Alex
They are still all black, because the Zinc coating won't come off until I install them and brake a few times.

I'll send you some pics tonight.

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 12:23 PM
They are still all black, because the Zinc coating won't come off until I install them and brake a few times.

I'll send you some pics tonight.

Thanks man, really appreciate it.

-Alex

Crimson600+HP
02-06-2014, 12:51 PM
My car is non Brembo equipped. Would the pads fit my calipers, or would I need to upgrade to Brembo calipers to fit those pads?

-Alex

They make them for the stock calipers too. Good brake pads are something many people just don't think about and don't need to unless they are running some sort of high performance driving over a sustained period of time. For daily driving, stock pads or a aftermarket ceramic is all you would need.

The stock brakes are actually pretty stout for an actuated style brakes. Throw a set of cooling ducts, SS lines, and DOT4 fluid and the stock system will handle a ton of punishment.

Plus, if money comes right you can pick up a set of GT500 6 piston take offs cheaper than it was to add on the Brembo Package 4 Piston set up on our GT's and Boss'. The brembo calipers usually share the same pads as the GT500 and Boss 302 models.

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks Crimson, very good to know. I would like to upgrade the break system this year but, perhaps much later. When I got the car the braking I felt was extremely impressive, especially for a "heavy" car.

-Alex

BERT
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't know what is up with mine but mine have been squeaking since around 3k miles, have 7700 on the car. And it's not when I first apply the brake it's more around when the car is about to come to a stop then it'll make some noise. Found this odd but haven't had time to get it checked out.

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 02:38 PM
I don't know what is up with mine but mine have been squeaking since around 3k miles, have 7700 on the car. And it's not when I first apply the brake it's more around when the car is about to come to a stop then it'll make some noise. Found this odd but haven't had time to get it checked out.

That's what mine are doing. Very little squeak but yeah after the brake is applied right before coming to a complete stop. I have a bit more miles than you though, 45k.

-Alex

Hddcrasher
02-06-2014, 04:35 PM

I am running the CT 12 front and 10's in rear. Awesome for track day at ECR, but they squeal to wake the dead on light city type braking.

Hddcrasher
02-06-2014, 04:48 PM

-Alex

Hey Dominic, You rode in my 2012 auto with Brembo upgrade and CT pads. So you know what those can do.

Yes you can buy aftermarket pads for the stock calipers, But my thoughts are brakes are the first thing to upgrade. My opinion only of course.

Anyone out there with OEM calipers and aftermarket pads?

Crimson600+HP
02-06-2014, 06:41 PM
I am running the CT 12 front and 10's in rear. Awesome for track day at ECR, but they squeal to wake the dead on light city type braking.

Looks like there is no avoiding brake squeal then on good track pads. As long as there are metallics in the pad, there will be squeal.

Dominic Toretto
02-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Hey Dominic, You rode in my 2012 auto with Brembo upgrade and CT pads. So you know what those can do.

Yes you can buy aftermarket pads for the stock calipers, But my thoughts are brakes are the first thing to upgrade. My opinion only of course.

Anyone out there with OEM calipers and aftermarket pads?

Yes sir, I definitely recall that ride. Your car is definitely track setup. The whole package is very nice on your car :). I won't be making mine that hardcore until I can get a daily.

-Alex

Hddcrasher
02-06-2014, 07:36 PM
I have a long way to go on track setup, but like you I need a DD first!

46Tbird
02-06-2014, 08:03 PM
You asked for a recommendation for "daily use."

Autozone Duralast Gold Cmax

Zero noise, and nearly zero dust. I think they actually stop the car better than the stock Brembo pads did, at least in a normal "cold" street driving scenario. I'm not into stopping repeatedly from 120mph on a road course. I want my DD's pads to be quiet, and I couldn't stand seeing my front wheels turning gray after the drive home from the car wash. These are basically perfect for me.

My local AZ accidentally sold me the standard non-Brembo GT pads first. When I returned them, and they got me the correct Boss 302 pads, they were about ten bucks less, lol. I think they ended up being $50 for the fronts.

fordplay
02-07-2014, 08:29 AM
I have used them and a bunch of other guys I work with Have. Been on trucks, Dodge magnum, camaros, and on my wife's flex, (flex had undersized brakes from the start they wear out fast) the ceramic pads have no dust but they will add stopping distance. And when it's cold add more stopping distance.. Plus side. They never wear out!! One guy has put over 100,000 on their rotors and pads. . Are a set of baer bettet? Sure no doubt but I can't find fault in these