PDA

View Full Version : My First AutoX (Video)

DirtyD
01-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Had the chance to finally make it out to an AutoX event this weekend. Didn't expect much, but I'm happy with the outcome. I placed 9th out of 10 in my class, but no big deal. The biggest things I'm happy about is I didn't have a single DNF, nor did I hit a single cone in all 8 of my runs.

Here is a video of my fastest run from the afternoon heat.

http://youtu.be/uO91SeXouHE
uO91SeXouHE

garner
01-26-2014, 06:21 PM
That course looks super confusing. I'd get lost every run lol

Antothoro
01-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I'd have to see a map. That looks awesome though.

03MachMe
01-26-2014, 07:37 PM
The camera is a little deceiving. Course wasn't hard to figure out, unless you were Josh. Lol

donutninja
01-26-2014, 07:47 PM
The camera is a little deceiving. Course wasn't hard to figure out, unless you were Josh. Lol

there were SO many DNF's and cones hit on the second course. I got tired of running around. haha

I thought the second course was a little deceiving at times but you could really stretch your legs for most of it.

Also, are you on stock suspension? the car seems so smooth.

Antothoro
01-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Map for those interested. (http://www.ntaxs.com/uploads/2/5/5/1/25513290/dallas_raceway_-_ntaxs_20140125_pm.png)

KurvStr8nr
01-26-2014, 10:13 PM
You did great for your first AutoX! First timers usually have a hard time following the course, try to overdrive it and end up hitting at least 1 cone.

How did your times compare throughout the 8 runs?

Did you get a chance to walk the course before driving it?

Had the chance to finally make it out to an AutoX event this weekend. Didn't expect much, but I'm happy with the outcome. I placed 9th out of 10 in my class, but no big deal. The biggest things I'm happy about is I didn't have a single DNF, nor did I hit a single cone in all 8 of my runs.

Dominic Toretto
01-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Nice job Derek! Glad you guys had fun. Man that exhaust sounds epic in the video, can't imagine how much better it must be in person.

-Alex

JDBishopArts
01-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Yeah that was the first time I've ever had such a big problem making my way through the course. I punted a few cones but luckily never ran any over or spun out.

DirtyD
01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
That course looks super confusing. I'd get lost every run lol

Yeah, I'd have to see a map. That looks awesome though.
It's not that bad. They provide maps, but when you get the chance to walk it, it becomes so much simpler it's funny.

there were SO many DNF's and cones hit on the second course. I got tired of running around. haha

I thought the second course was a little deceiving at times but you could really stretch your legs for most of it.

Also, are you on stock suspension? the car seems so smooth.
Yeah, so many people were DNF'ing I was thinking to myself, man, this is not going to be good for me. LOL

One of the S2000 drivers kept DNF'ing in the same exact spot, on all 4 of his morning runs.

You did great for your first AutoX! First timers usually have a hard time following the course, try to overdrive it and end up hitting at least 1 cone.

How did your times compare throughout the 8 runs?

Did you get a chance to walk the course before driving it?
Yeah, I told myself not to try and get in over my head and push it. I didn't have my suspension setup where it should've been, so the back end broke loose rather easily on street tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports).

The morning session was the reverse direction of the afternoon course, with a few small changes. My 1st morning run I took my time just getting used to how the cones look while actually driving, and not walking, and also just figuring out some of the lines to take. I shaved 8 sec off the morning course time by the 4 run. The afternoon was a bit different...I ended up running my fastest time on the 4th run as well, but I only shaved off 4 sec from the first lap. Just couldn't quite get the car to do what I wanted it, and came in to a few corners a little too hot, and took them too wide.

We had the chance to walk both courses, but I didn't make it back from lunch in time to walk the afternoon.

Nice job Derek! Glad you guys had fun. Man that exhaust sounds epic in the video, can't imagine how much better it must be in person.

-Alex
Thanks, Alex. I wish I could have someone else drive the car so I can hear what it sounds like outside of the car for once. LOL

DirtyD
01-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Here are the videos of my 1, 2, and 3 runs from the afternoon as well. I haven't had the chance to upload the morning session yet.

Afternoon Run 1
http://youtu.be/jaH8agLfLvc
jaH8agLfLvc

Afternoon Run 2
http://youtu.be/d1-IvbFhSWo
d1-IvbFhSWo

Afternoon Run 3
http://youtu.be/ZwPAwlPLwZ8
ZwPAwlPLwZ8

El_Tortuga
01-27-2014, 02:35 PM
Car sounds great.

I felt like it was confusing visually and the gates were narrower than most Auto-X. I was feeling sorry for myself until I saw the supercharged Viper (it has to be a beating getting that wide beast around in such a tight course). He sure released a lot of smoke from those tires. I watched one of the WRX's DNF all 4 AM runs, but they didn't see the 4th DNF.

Morning was a better drive for me, even though I got a little hooped by being in the very coldest session and 1st group. Yikes. I was dissapointed in myself for the PM session. Overdrove, missed on tire pressures, 3.73 gearing was too low, and I suspect my line was crap. You can't see it very well, but the concrete chews tires pretty good and if you get in the rubber dust you lose a LOT of grip. It feels like you are driving your ass off, but its not fast. I never could feel the flow in the second set, and it was over before I figured it out.

It was really great to get out and wheel the car a little bit. Sure turned out to be a BE-A-UTIFUL day. Rear swaybar and harness upgrades worked well.

Talked to a Camaro buddy that did the Driver's Edge event @ TWS this weekend and I'm pumped. We are both doing the PCA DE in February, but he'll be in a higher group than me.

El_Tortuga
01-27-2014, 02:42 PM

I should have let him keep fighting the swaybar when he was trying to set camber, but I would have felt bad for not helping an aggie, or any other dumb animals. :angels2:

03MachMe
01-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Hahahahaha

DirtyD
01-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Car sounds great.

I felt like it was confusing visually and the gates were narrower than most Auto-X. I was feeling sorry for myself until I saw the supercharged Viper (it has to be a beating getting that wide beast around in such a tight course). He sure released a lot of smoke from those tires. I watched one of the WRX's DNF all 4 AM runs, but they didn't see the 4th DNF.

Morning was a better drive for me, even though I got a little hooped by being in the very coldest session and 1st group. Yikes. I was dissapointed in myself for the PM session. Overdrove, missed on tire pressures, 3.73 gearing was too low, and I suspect my line was crap. You can't see it very well, but the concrete chews tires pretty good and if you get in the rubber dust you lose a LOT of grip. It feels like you are driving your ass off, but its not fast. I never could feel the flow in the second set, and it was over before I figured it out.

It was really great to get out and wheel the car a little bit. Sure turned out to be a BE-A-UTIFUL day. Rear swaybar and harness upgrades worked well.

Talked to a Camaro buddy that did the Driver's Edge event @ TWS this weekend and I'm pumped. We are both doing the PCA DE in February, but he'll be in a higher group than me.
Yeah, morning turned out to be better for me as well, but not by much. I think having my rear shocks set at full stiff was too much for my street tires, because it didn't take a lot for them to want to brake loose. Next time I'll try for 1-2 turns from full stiff and see how it works, maybe 1/2 turn on the front. I think the afternoon session was a little slower for our group because all the X and other R comp tire cars had run before us, throwing rubber all over the parking lot, not giving us any virgin concrete to grip on. :throw:

I should have let him keep fighting the swaybar when he was trying to set camber, but I would have felt bad for not helping an aggie, or any other dumb animals. :angels2:
Haha. Poor Aggies.

JDBishopArts
01-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Dude, after the week I had last week I'm just glad I remembered to put back on the lug nuts. haha Thanks for your ASSistance.

El_Tortuga
01-27-2014, 08:52 PM
Dude, after the week I had last week I'm just glad I remembered to put back on the lug nuts. haha Thanks for your ASSistance.

Well we just met, but I can see by your capitalization that you are a quick and astute judge of character. :)

JDBishopArts
01-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Hopefully it was oozing of sarcasm. Had a good time meeting the new people out there. Your car ran good.

El_Tortuga
01-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Hopefully it was oozing of sarcasm. Had a good time meeting the new people out there. Your car ran good.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/El_Tortuga/null_zps7fe21e2d.jpg (http://s34.photobucket.com/user/El_Tortuga/media/null_zps7fe21e2d.jpg.html)

OK, maybe not asshole, but I definitely have a smartass streak. I'm pretty much unable to communicate except in random counterpunches when I feel its funny.

I enjoy the autocross scene. Most everybody is more than happy to help, share good ideas (and bad ones too), and mostly just share a passion for cars and driving. I know we saw about 30 Miatas saturday but you see an eclectic group of cars. E.g. at the last event I went to had a V-8 MG c/w flame paint job. Kind of a handful, but the guy was having a blast wheeling his ride.

Most of us are a work in progress. The stopwatch doesn't lie. I'd like to puff up and talk about how I beat a SC Viper at this event and a 427 cobra at the last, but I'd also have to admit that I got pounded by a 60s Mini AND a damn Nissan Sentra so none of that happend. ;) LOL.

Here's my "best" run in the AM (somebody left his GoPro on and ran down its battery):
http://youtu.be/-qUBKlEXGWo

donutninja
01-28-2014, 05:00 PM
60's mini on ATV tires.

I loved the nonchalant atmosphere of the whole event. Whoever were taking turns behind the speakers kept me pretty entertained when I was working the course.

03MachMe
01-28-2014, 06:07 PM
I agree was a very fun event. Can't wait to do more of the NTAXS events. I heard the tires for the old school Mini were like $13 each. I would do burnouts everywhere if my tires were that cheap lol

Here are the videos of my best clean run in the AM

FvGWKxG79FQ
6jlz0s1xkqA

Grandpa
01-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Apparently it was the last event ever there at that track and it was sold today. Explains why they didn't turn on the bathroom water for us. lol

DirtyD
01-28-2014, 06:45 PM
Apparently it was the last event ever there at that track and it was sold today. Explains why they didn't turn on the bathroom water for us. lol
Yeah, on Facebook it was going around the new owners gave the current management until Friday to vacate. The fact they didn't turn on the water was bullshit, in my personal opinion.

Heresay is that DR was the last piece of land on that side of 175 the new owners had yet to buy, and they owned the rest of the surrounding land.

DirtyD
01-28-2014, 10:37 PM
Finally got my videos of my 4 morning runs uploaded.

Run 4 of the AM was also my best run for the counterclockwise course layout. Came in with a 65.480.

NTAXS Winter AutoX 1/25/14 - AM Run 4 - Derek Ogburn - YouTube (http://youtu.be/w1aUEcVHuzI)
w1aUEcVHuzI

NTAXS Winter AutoX 1/25/14 - AM Run 3 - Derek Ogburn - YouTube (http://youtu.be/rVb3KQGSFlM)
rVb3KQGSFlM

NTAXS Winter AutoX 1/25/14 - AM Run 2 - Derek Ogburn - YouTube (http://youtu.be/pJ6gYOtTWTA)
pJ6gYOtTWTA

NTAXS Winter AutoX 1/25/14 - AM Run 1 - Derek Ogburn - YouTube (http://youtu.be/jikpD8m_FS0)
jikpD8m_FS0