PDA

View Full Version : High speed driveshaft vibrations

JDMLOL
01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm experiencing vibrations with my new aluminum driveshaft at about 110 mph. It is fine and smooth at anything less than 110 but as soon as I hit the 110 mark the vibrations start as if a switch were flipped on. They are mild vibrations, nothing major but I would like to correct the issue. How can I fix this? Does it sound like my pinion angle needs fine tuning?

DirtyD
01-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Check your pinion angle and also maybe get it rebalance at 75 and 150

JDMLOL
01-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Pinion is -1

Craizie
01-20-2014, 01:46 AM
karma? I like to think so.

JDMLOL
02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Bump. Tried two different pinion angles and still not any better. Anyone got any recommendations. I'm about to try getting a refund or sell the shaft at a discounted price and get a DSS version. Shaftmasters is obviously junk.

re-rx7
02-01-2014, 05:38 PM
karma? I like to think so.

what?

JDMLOL
02-01-2014, 06:07 PM
what?

I sold an SCT tuner that I got on trade from another member on the board to this individual in fine working order. Tested by myself on two different occasions, my pictures are still posted in the for sale section showing that the device was unmarried and ready to go. Nearly two weeks later the individual claimed that the device did not work and wanted his money back. As most of you know, even American Muscle and other online retailers do not accept returns on items like tuners. Seeing how the item was used and that I did my due diligence in testing the item I did not feel obligated to accept a return on the item. I don't know what could have happened to a working device in two weeks while it was out of my possession. They're pretty hard to break unless they get hot or wet which mine did not while under my possession. I do know the devices can act funny if they have old, buggy firmware or the wrong firmware altogether. Sct does also provide excellent customer service, even to secondhand buyers when they have issues. All in all, I do not feel responsible for what happened to a used, working tuner while it was out of my possession for approximately 10 days.

DirtyD
02-02-2014, 01:44 AM
I sold an SCT tuner that I got on trade from another member on the board to this individual in fine working order. Tested by myself on two different occasions, my pictures are still posted in the for sale section showing that the device was unmarried and ready to go. Nearly two weeks later the individual claimed that the device did not work and wanted his money back. As most of you know, even American Muscle and other online retailers do not accept returns on items like tuners. Seeing how the item was used and that I did my due diligence in testing the item I did not feel obligated to accept a return on the item. I don't know what could have happened to a working device in two weeks while it was out of my possession. They're pretty hard to break unless they get hot or wet which mine did not while under my possession. I do know the devices can act funny if they have old, buggy firmware or the wrong firmware altogether. Sct does also provide excellent customer service, even to secondhand buyers when they have issues. All in all, I do not feel responsible for what happened to a used, working tuner while it was out of my possession for approximately 10 days.

Dang man. I didn't even know this.

Dan12GT
02-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Maybe call up the manufacturer and get their recommendations?

JDMLOL
02-03-2014, 12:47 AM
Maybe call up the manufacturer and get their recommendations?

They told me to "reinstall" it. I think that is a load of crap. I would think it should operate vibration free the first time. Especially seeing how I had a professional mechanic install it.

Darkhelmet22
02-03-2014, 01:07 AM
They told me to "reinstall" it. I think that is a load of crap. I would think it should operate vibration free the first time. Especially seeing how I had a professional mechanic install it.

That professional would be me lol. This damn driveshaft has got me flustered.

fordplay
02-03-2014, 08:28 AM
High speed balance!! Or what I would do is call them and tell them you had it reinstalled and it's having the same issues.. so pay me to take it to get balanced or send me one that is balanced, and a discount due to me paying for multiple installs might go a long way for your name on every single forum I'm on....

JDMLOL
02-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Shaftmasters is refunding the money and paying for return shipping so I'm not going to bash them too bad. Jayman came to the rescue. He quoted me a great price on the DSS version which I ordered this afternoon.

rriddle3
02-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Shaftmasters is refunding the money...
Shaftmasters? Seriously, Kirby, buying from a company with a name like that didn't tip you off? :Big Laugh:

JDMLOL
03-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Switched the shaft to DSS and the vibration magically went away. Lol.

5PointSlow
03-24-2014, 02:59 AM
I have a dynotech DS inbound. Hopefully its issue free. ive read some good and bad about one piece DS in general.

JDMLOL
03-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Darkhelmet and I tried several different pinion angles with the double u joint shaft. The cv joint shaft is obviously more forgiving about pinion angle.