PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust, complete/catback or otherwise setups

ThunderkissGT14
01-15-2014, 11:50 PM
OK, so i've gone through all 12 pages of the performance threads looking for anyone asking the populous of this formum about exhausts in a complete (can mean from headers back or just a combo of pieces to complete their desired exhaust taste) setup or a mix / match of brands in their own setup and their experiences.

Theres a lot of people talking about cat deletes, resenators etc. and xpipes and hpipes but i want to have a talk and everyone chime in on complete set ups or a mix match of a complete set up that they like.

I've gone through tons of youtube videos.. a lot of those recordings dont help in distinguishing note drone etc. and hardly any if any-convos of performance gain.

Like pypes for instance. Cheaper of the exhausts out there, and their site or i cant remember if it was just one that was selling their product put an actual HP/TQ gain claim where as all the other products i see do not.

So i want to hear from the people. I was looking at borla catback atak or stype.

but let me know if you have this or have other systems that you like, and talk about drone/note and any gains or regrets.

doing the foot work in research via youtube, sites selling the products etc. is only going so far :(

DirtyD
01-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Borla S type is one of the best sounding mufflers out there. Couple with a good quality O/R H-pipe it will sound great.

Most mufflers won't really gain you anything, maybe a few ponies, but not enough to feel. Most of the power comes from getting rid of the stock cats, and then getting a tune.

But when it comes down to exhausts, it's always going to be subjective as not everyone likes the same things.

Here is a video of my setup.

8riq_ECH-OY

8feMcxnBf6o

ThunderkissGT14
01-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Nice. Yah im looking at a Cat back currenlty right now, not expecting big gains in just that or anything. But just as you took mufflers and paired it with an H pipe and made a video is a good example to start getting ideas. When my warranty runs out thats when a full exhaust will be looked at.

NZERO21
01-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Personally I love the Ferrari exhaust. Dont let the title fool you, its awesome.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CjqhmhObCMo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CjqhmhObCMo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

fordplay
01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry, I'm sticking to the flow master super 44's. To me the sound is awesome. Bass and pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYNQkbhVL24&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Darkhelmet22
01-16-2014, 08:57 AM
My gt500 mufflers and lethal x sounds amazing.

BlueBolt
01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
I'll have a GT500 catback for sale soon. Gt500 over axle pipes and painted gt500 mufflers.

zsommer79
01-16-2014, 10:54 AM
My gt500 mufflers and lethal x sounds amazing.

Got any sound clips on that set up, already have the GT500 quad mufflers and thinking the lethal x will be the next step. I want the HP but not sure I want the extra sound.

maxpayne
01-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I went from the gt500s to the Roush ABs for more volume since I was staying with the stock pipes. I personally love the Roush. Loud when you get on it and quiet when cruising. No drone whatsoever - well unless you are going about 90 mph.

Darkhelmet22
01-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Got any sound clips on that set up, already have the GT500 quad mufflers and thinking the lethal x will be the next step. I want the HP but not sure I want the extra sound.

Ya I'll have to upload it to YouTube tonight.

Crimson600+HP
01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
I am a fan of Stainless Works complete header back system with the chambered exhausts. They sound great on YouTube and even better in person.

Darkhelmet22
01-16-2014, 09:44 PM
here is a clip of my exhaust. The video was just me playing around with different camera angles after I got my suction cup mount but you get the idea of how the exhaust sounds.
http://youtu.be/XQpG9_WTEto

zsommer79
01-16-2014, 11:16 PM
here is a clip of my exhaust. The video was just me playing around with different camera angles after I got my suction cup mount but you get the idea of how the exhaust sounds.
http://youtu.be/XQpG9_WTEto

Sounds good, doesn't seem too much louder than with just the GT500 mufflers. Was going to wait a couple months before buying anything else for the car but your making it tough on me.

Thanks for posting up the video.

Darkhelmet22
01-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Sounds good, doesn't seem too much louder than with just the GT500 mufflers. Was going to wait a couple months before buying anything else for the car but your making it tough on me.

Thanks for posting up the video.

No problem. Go buy the x. You won't be disappointed.

fordplay
01-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Darkhelmet. I know your handle now!!! I can say his sounds good in person. . Smells good too!! I have to thank him. Being behind his car and smelling his exhaust is when my wife decided it was OK for me to remove my cats, to get that muscle car smell!! Side note I still prefer the boat exhaust sound from my H pipe.. personal preference I know but with the ghost cam, it exaggerates the muscle car whump whump noise...

Darkhelmet22
01-17-2014, 11:05 AM
Darkhelmet. I know your handle now!!! I can say his sounds good in person. . Smells good too!! I have to thank him. Being behind his car and smelling his exhaust is when my wife decided it was OK for me to remove my cats, to get that muscle car smell!! Side note I still prefer the boat exhaust sound from my H pipe.. personal preference I know but with the ghost cam, it exaggerates the muscle car whump whump noise...

lol thanks

ThunderkissGT14
01-17-2014, 01:56 PM
alright yah liking the posts... a bunch of different mix matching on here with their take on it. I suppose that may be more fun / custom and maybe a little cheaper than a full setup by a particular brand?

in regards to xpipe and H, i've heard x gives you better flow and H gives you deeper better muscle tone?

Dan12GT
01-17-2014, 02:29 PM
I can personally vouche for Borla. I have the S-Type catback on mine and to me hands down Borla sounds the best. But.. you also get what you pay for. Borla is some of the most expensive too. GT500 sounds good but everybody and their mother has it. I wanted to be different and personally I love what I did. I still have the cars on but its plenty loud. WOT its an animal!

Here are some clips of mine

Old videos, my car has changes quite a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NEtUoNDVAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm6UHO61WtI

Here's it on the dyno WOT

ThunderkissGT14
01-17-2014, 02:56 PM
thanks man good vids... in your search for borla cat back, did you look into attak and isn't there another type, like a touring? what was the determining factor for you to get the S type? attak to raspy?

Dan12GT
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
thanks man good vids... in your search for borla cat back, did you look into attak and isn't there another type, like a touring? what was the determining factor for you to get the S type? attak to raspy?

You are correct. There are 3 models of Borla for our cars:

Touring
S-Type
Attack

I like them all but I think the S-Type is the best mix. I was afraid of attack being a little too loud for when I delete the cats.

This is a great video that compares them all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayemxBdI0bc

ThunderkissGT14
01-17-2014, 07:19 PM
yeah i think going Stype would be good for anyone planing to do anything else on top of going from cat back...cause it will get louder. Maybe for someone doing cat back only and nothing else, atak would be better.

NZERO21
01-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Summit Racing was selling them for about $650 or $675 cat back Borla S type. Around same price you would get from ebay and personally I feel better getting them directly from a vendor and new as opposed to used. BTW, the S-type sounds AWESOME!. I was almost about to pull the trigger on the Ataks but I went to a meet and heard them and they sounded too Raspy. I suggest to go to a meet and check out the setups of other mustangs so you can finally get the final say so!

Crimson600+HP
01-17-2014, 10:23 PM
I was almost about to pull the trigger on the Ataks but I went to a meet and heard them and they sounded too Raspy. I suggest to go to a meet and check out the setups of other mustangs so you can finally get the final say so!

Great advice! Also, Late Model Restoration has a couple good blog posts where they have video and subjective data on the axle backs currently out for the 5.0. They did a good job at doing idle runs and similar rpm and driving runs to give you an accurate depiction on what to expect.

ThunderkissGT14
01-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Summit Racing was selling them for about $650 or $675 cat back Borla S type. Around same price you would get from ebay and personally I feel better getting them directly from a vendor and new as opposed to used. BTW, the S-type sounds AWESOME!. I was almost about to pull the trigger on the Ataks but I went to a meet and heard them and they sounded too Raspy. I suggest to go to a meet and check out the setups of other mustangs so you can finally get the final say so!

i dunno man... maybe you were looking borla for a different vehicle or something because they want a grand+ i'll keep looking though

Dan12GT
01-18-2014, 01:39 AM
I paid $1200 for my s-type catback :( expensive yes but I see no reason to ever change it and it is full stainless piping from the cats back. Full stainless mufflers which give them protection from the damaging elements

Darkhelmet22
01-18-2014, 11:31 AM
I love the borla but I paid $500 for my x and mufflers. I really dont care about stainless in texas weather.

jayman33
01-19-2014, 03:01 PM
OK, so i've gone through all 12 pages of the performance threads looking for anyone asking the populous of this formum about exhausts in a complete (can mean from headers back or just a combo of pieces to complete their desired exhaust taste) setup or a mix / match of brands in their own setup and their experiences.

Theres a lot of people talking about cat deletes, resenators etc. and xpipes and hpipes but i want to have a talk and everyone chime in on complete set ups or a mix match of a complete set up that they like.

I've gone through tons of youtube videos.. a lot of those recordings dont help in distinguishing note drone etc. and hardly any if any-convos of performance gain.

Like pypes for instance. Cheaper of the exhausts out there, and their site or i cant remember if it was just one that was selling their product put an actual HP/TQ gain claim where as all the other products i see do not.

So i want to hear from the people. I was looking at borla catback atak or stype.

but let me know if you have this or have other systems that you like, and talk about drone/note and any gains or regrets.

doing the foot work in research via youtube, sites selling the products etc. is only going so far :(

We can definitely help you out, our prices are the best out there:)

ThunderkissGT14
01-20-2014, 11:48 PM
noted jayman... i see you have two types of borla S type SS cat backs for the 5.0s on your site with similar/general descriptions of both. Any real difference between the two other than price? Any discounts of any kind for dfw50 members?

Dan12GT
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Borla has an axle back and a catback. The catback is the expensive one but it gives you all the piping you need from literally cats back :) It also allows for easy install of cat deletes / headers because it comes with a shorty after car X pipe.

I personally opted for this because I wanted the benefit of increased pipe diameter from the cats back (2.75"), also the catback system deletes the cruddy stock resonators.

ThunderkissGT14
01-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Anyone what so ever have any experience with AFE exhausts?

NAVAG
02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
I put on the Boss 302 H-Pipe with the side pipes and QTP cut outs. Sounds awesome. No drone. Not too loud with the cut outs open but I can close them and go back to stock for a quit ride when my rib is riding shotgun.

However, I might try a different set up if I delete the cats. I've been thinking of adding a blower eventually and the cats would be too restrictive and taking them off might make the straight pipes on the side too loud.

DirtyD
02-02-2014, 01:48 AM
I put on the Boss 302 H-Pipe with the side pipes and QTP cut outs. Sounds awesome. No drone. Not too loud with the cut outs open but I can close them and go back to stock for a quit ride when my rib is riding shotgun.

However, I might try a different set up if I delete the cats. I've been thinking of adding a blower eventually and the cats would be too restrictive and taking them off might make the straight pipes on the side too loud.

Bossmustangsonline sells plates that are drilled out with different diameter holes to help tone down the exhaust tones.

I want to find some boss side pipes so bad.

Jriley
02-02-2014, 01:31 PM
Right now my exhaust is all stock except for pypes axlebacks. I have JBA long tubes and a off road h pipe coming in the mail this week! I'm fricken PUMPED! Eventually I'm planning to get some electric cutouts and put them where the resonators are now, and maybe put my stock mufflers back on when I do the cutouts. I'm just thinking that having no cats AND running the pypes "muffler deletes" is gonna send a wave of noise ordinance issues and complaints from the home owner association.

re-rx7
02-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Im going catted H.

NAVAG
02-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Bossmustangsonline sells plates that are drilled out with different diameter holes to help tone down the exhaust tones.

I want to find some boss side pipes so bad.

I'm tempted to take them off and sell them for some quick cash. Got some medical bills coming up that need to get covered. I am thinking of going with a different exhaust system in the future. Even though I love the way my car sounds with the side pipes...Like my exhaust is in stereo.

I already sold the cutouts for $250.

The Boss 302 H-Pipe/Side Exhaust comes from Ford Racing and Late Model Restoration and American Muscle have it for $794. I might let it go for half that.

If I get the will to crawl under the car and put the stock H-Pipe back on this weekend I'll post it on the For Sale section of the forum.

Varilux
02-26-2014, 11:59 PM
I'm considering adding the Boss quad exhaust on my '14 (btw, the Boss 302 side exhaust can be purchased at buyfordracing.com for only $699).

Since the side pipes come out prior to the mufflers, will the car pass inspection once they are installed? I would plan to install them without the restrictor plates. I test drove a Boss 302 before deciding to order the '14, and the quad exhaust sounds amazing (I have the GT500 mufflers now, and they already sound nice- but...).

DirtyD
02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
The side pipes are baffled, so yes, it passes inspection.

DirtyD
02-27-2014, 12:10 AM
I just need $500 to order the side pipes from Tasca Ford and my exhaust setup is complete.

NAVAG
02-27-2014, 10:22 AM
I pulled the restricter plates out of mine. and installed cut outs. The cut outs were really cool for about a month when I noticed that they were always open. Might add cut outs again later if I install cat deletes.

You should pass inspection IF you know where to go. I live out in the sticks so I just pull into "Jim Bobs" Oil Change place. They just flash the lights, honk the horn and ask "Whatcha got under da hood?" Before slapping a sticker on. None of these places over here looked very hard at any of my cars/trucks.

NAVAG
02-27-2014, 10:27 AM
I decided to stay with my Boss 302 exhaust set up BTW. I mentioned that I might sell it cheap to get some quick cash but I couldn't part with it. I love the way it sounds, Especially the "gurgle" when down shifting into third when slowing down. I've been thinking of adding axle backs to it but I don't want it to be annoyingly loud with the cat deletes.

NAVAG
02-27-2014, 10:32 AM
LOL you could probably pull into one of the shops over here with no cats, straight pipes, lopey cam, loud as fuck, while being followed by a cloud of blue smoke and these goobers will probably pass it.

Of course, I say this now. Next year I might find myself bolting my stock parts back on so I can pass.

DirtyD
02-27-2014, 10:39 AM
I decided to stay with my Boss 302 exhaust set up BTW. I mentioned that I might sell it cheap to get some quick cash but I couldn't part with it. I love the way it sounds, Especially the "gurgle" when down shifting into third when slowing down. I've been thinking of adding axle backs to it but I don't want it to be annoyingly loud with the cat deletes.
go over to bossmustangsonline.com and order you some of these --> http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3663.0

I talked with the guy that makes them, and he suggested a 1/2" or 5/8" opening to be used with cat deletes, since the sound is increased. Listen to the videos they have, and you should be able to make up your mind.

GT500 mufflers sound great with the Boss midpipe setup, btw.

NAVAG
02-27-2014, 11:03 AM
go over to bossmustangsonline.com and order you some of these --> http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3663.0

I talked with the guy that makes them, and he suggested a 1/2" or 5/8" opening to be used with cat deletes, since the sound is increased. Listen to the videos they have, and you should be able to make up your mind.

GT500 mufflers sound great with the Boss midpipe setup, btw.

That was the direction I was headed. I was going to drill out the restrictor plates to about 1/2" and put them back in after the cat deletes. The ones that came with the H-Pipe look like they have about a 1/4" hole in them. I was going to start around 3/8" and work my way up. The restrictor plate might be too thin gauged to drill a bigger hole and not have any rattling. This is a good option. The GT500 mufflers are the ones I keep going back to when I'm shopping around.

DirtyD
02-27-2014, 11:08 AM
That was the direction I was headed. I was going to drill out the restrictor plates to about 1/2" and put them back in after the cat deletes. The ones that came with the H-Pipe look like they have about a 1/4" hole in them. I was going to start around 3/8" and work my way up. The restrictor plate might be too thin gauged to drill a bigger hole and not have any rattling. This is a good option. The GT500 mufflers are the ones I keep going back to when I'm shopping around.
I just went ahead and purchased the 5/8" plates from BOM, so hopefully I don't want to go smaller...lol. If I do, then I will have to order new plates, or I can drill out the block off plates I have. lol

NAVAG
02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I forgot about the block off plates. I bet they are still in the Box with my stock H-Pipe. I can take them to work and but them on the drill press and try that first.

Varilux
02-27-2014, 11:59 AM
I thought Texas had a law indicating you can't run a car without mufflers. Of course with the side pipes installed you still technically HAVE mufflers- but a lot of the exhaust is just routed around it.

Also (perhaps a stupid question), do the Boss pipes bypass the cats- or are they behind the cats? Reason for question is if they are before the cats what happens if they decide to check the emissions at the side pipes?

I know I'm going to end up getting the Boss pipes- soon. I'll probably install the restrictors- but drill them out to 5/8". They sound just so perfect, IMO.

BTW, in a discussion of this on another site, I saw where Ford Racing did dyno testing on the Boss quad system and- with the restrictor plates removed- the HP difference was +6 to +7 hp. Not much, but considering the Ford Racing tune supposedly adds +16hp, that would be 420+16+7= 443 (awfully close to that 444hp number for the stock Boss 302 :^).

DirtyD
02-27-2014, 12:07 PM
They exit the midpipe after the H crossover, so after the cats.

As far as laws for mufflers, some places enforce noise ordinances more than others, but a lot of people in Texas run muffler deletes/straight pipes.

Also, the typical drive thru type inspection place doesn't have lifts, so on a Mustang, they won't make the effort to visually inspect the exhaust system for the retention of cats. As long as your tune is okay, pretty sure you will pass the tail pipe sniffer.