PDA

View Full Version : What wax to use?

emery2483
01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
alright so here's the setup I have so far:

smooth surface clay kit from Meguiars
Tons of Microfiber cloths

I have a Black 2012 Gt and am planning on doing the clay bar Monday and do not know what kind of wax to apply after? Any suggestions? It will all be done by hand btw!

re-rx7
01-04-2014, 11:21 PM
Probally a synthetic wax. Caranauba leaves a deeper shine but only to the trained eye really. Before the wax assess your paint for scratches or swirls. You may need to use polish or a mild abrasive to remove them.

Phuck Phace
01-05-2014, 12:28 AM
Meguiars #26 paste

re-rx7
01-05-2014, 03:54 PM
I can almost guarantee you need polish as well. Wax doesnt bring out the shine, the poilsh does. Wax seals the paint.

Dan12GT
01-06-2014, 10:01 PM
I can almost guarantee you need polish as well. Wax doesnt bring out the shine, the poilsh does. Wax seals the paint.

I agree if you are going to full route of claybar might as well polish it too. Check out my thread where I recently just did all of this / might have taken it to the next level.

http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php?t=3211

five.slow
01-13-2014, 08:48 PM
just used klass, groits i step sealant and mequires carnuba on my car. made a HUGE difference in the sun. easy stuff to use. im not too big into spending 300 bucks in waxes and stuff.

re-rx7
01-17-2014, 02:17 PM
just used klass, groits i step sealant and mequires carnuba on my car. made a HUGE difference in the sun. easy stuff to use. im not too big into spending 300 bucks in waxes and stuff.

Def. Its all in the execution.

STROKD
01-17-2014, 04:07 PM

Lmfao. Buy better wax.

re-rx7
01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Lmfao. Buy better wax.

Better research more. Im not saying Wax doesnt add shine. Im saying the most dramatic difference is Polish. You wax an unpolished car its not gonna last as long and the paint wont "pop".

STROKD
01-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Better research more. Im not saying Wax doesnt add shine. Im saying the most dramatic difference is Polish. You wax an unpolished car its not gonna last as long and the paint wont "pop".

lol thats exactly what you said... you said wax is only for sealing.

I know all about polishing and waxing, I grew up around the shit. My dad had me waxing his cars when I was 10 for side money. That was in the 80s.

His Porsche still shines better than 90% of new cars due to the certain chemicals it has had over the years, and it will be 28 in a few months, all original BLACK paint.

re-rx7
01-18-2014, 12:12 PM
Do you use a sealant it caranauba? The depth comes from polish. Polishing makes the most dramatic diff.

STROKD
01-19-2014, 02:12 AM
Do you use a sealant it caranauba? The depth comes from polish. Polishing makes the most dramatic diff.

wut? polishing helps bring depth to the paint be eliminating scratches and blemishes, but the wax (if it dosnt suck) brings out MORE depth, clarity, and shine too.

re-rx7
01-19-2014, 02:55 AM
wut? polishing helps bring depth to the paint be eliminating scratches and blemishes, but the wax (if it dosnt suck) brings out MORE depth, clarity, and shine too.

Do use a sealant or caranauba?

STROKD
01-20-2014, 12:49 AM
Do use a sealant or caranauba?

"carnauba" <- yes I use that. This exact one in fact.

http://www.zymol.com/zymolvintageglaze22oz.aspx

Sometimes this:

http://www.zymol.com/zymolconcoursglaze8oz.aspx

Sometimes this:

http://www.zymol.com/zymolcarbonwax8oz.aspx

Sometimes a combo of the 3 above. They all have different shine characteristics.

and sometimes I use Maguires on the orbital if Im being lazy, or Griots Waxes and Polishes. Just depends on my mood and how bad the car is. I havent detailed shit in a while since I dont have any cars I gaf about. I will probably detail the wife's FRC here soon if we ever get it out of storage. It hasnt moved an inch since last May.

re-rx7
01-20-2014, 12:56 AM
Autocorrect phone. Nice catch. Anyway I'm a meguairs fan thru and thru.