PDA

View Full Version : Big Brakes and skinnys

Big Thumper
12-28-2013, 08:11 PM
I've been looking at getting some Baer front brakes, 14" rotors. I know I will need an 18" front wheel, I've been looking at the Weld RTS. Does anyone know the proper pad height and BS for this setup?

Thanks
Scott

downtime!
12-28-2013, 09:43 PM
My first question would be why? Big brakes are for corner turners, not drag racing. Brake bias in a drag car is setup exactly opposite of a street car, with the bias towards the rear brakes and tires. Skinny tires provide almost no stopping ability and are there simply to direct the car down the track.

If it's just for occasional track visits, IIRC, the medium pad height should work. Seems like there are only 2 pad height choices in the 18x4.5 wheels, low and medium, and low is for early cars with drum brakes.

toomnymods
12-29-2013, 06:36 AM
lol guess ur not the only one wanting to run a big brake kit and still get some skinnies up front.
Reason I want a big brake kit is my car doesnt live at the track.. I have a family that depends on me staying alive and drive my car on the street 99% of the time. I might be lucky to go to the 1/4mile once every 3 months. the stock braking system leaves a lot to be desired as I'm having a hard time slowing down already and I'm just 400-415rwhp atm and plan on boosting later this summer.

Big Thumper
12-29-2013, 11:55 AM
My other 3 cars are track cars, so I figured with this one, I would try and make it a good all around car.....you know, like a vette....half ass good at everything, but not awesome. :)

downtime!
12-29-2013, 12:37 PM
My car runs well in the 10's and has stock brakes with Hawk HPS pads. Slows me down from 130+ mph runs just fine.

blownaltered
12-29-2013, 12:47 PM
lol guess ur not the only one wanting to run a big brake kit and still get some skinnies up front.
Reason I want a big brake kit is my car doesnt live at the track.. I have a family that depends on me staying alive and drive my car on the street 99% of the time. I might be lucky to go to the 1/4mile once every 3 months. the stock braking system leaves a lot to be desired as I'm having a hard time slowing down already and I'm just 400-415rwhp atm and plan on boosting later this summer.

If your having a hard time stopping with the factory brakes on the street I have some advice for you. Slow your ass down and don't wait to the last second to stop and you will be fine. There I just saved you a bunch of money on brakes, driver mod saves brakes and lives.

Grandpa
12-29-2013, 01:09 PM
If your having a hard time stopping with the factory brakes on the street I have some advice for you. Slow your ass down and don't wait to the last second to stop and you will be fine. There I just saved you a bunch of money on brakes, driver mod saves brakes and lives.

Hopefully not driving on the street with front runners either which is stupid beyond belief.

toomnymods
12-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Hopefully not driving on the street with front runners either which is stupid beyond belief.

Dont have track wheels yet.. Just my forgedstar wheels

Slow Five-O
12-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Lol. Guy asks a question and all of a sudden all these guys are ruler slapping nuns