PDA

View Full Version : Spring help

jng2985
12-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Ungodly noise from the rear end.. Lol. Any ways, crawled under to see wtf and saw my rear springs. Attached is I hope the passenger side. Driver side normal, passenger completely compressed and the car isn't slanted.

Wtf is it? And who wants to drink beers and help fix it.

jng2985
12-23-2013, 09:55 PM
Ungodly noise from the rear end.. Lol. Any ways, crawled under to see wtf and saw my rear springs. Attached is I hope the passenger side. Driver side normal, passenger completely compressed and the car isn't slanted.

Wtf is it? And who wants to drink beers and help fix it.

Passenger side

03MachMe
12-23-2013, 09:59 PM
That's odd...

JDMLOL
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
That's odd...

Very.

Type of springs?

jng2985
12-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Very.

Type of springs?

Ford K, Lca's, panhard.

03MachMe
12-23-2013, 11:27 PM
either the spring came out of its area and is compressed on the side of it or something is stuck up there compressing the spring. Just jack the car up and remove the strut on that side with the axle supported and let it down slowly and see why it is not up in the area it is supposed to be.

jng2985
01-04-2014, 05:43 PM
Spring was upside down. Flipped it over, no more noise..

zsommer79
01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Spring was upside down. Flipped it over, no more noise..

So you had one right and one upside down? On the Ford springs they are stamped so you should be able to read ford when they are put in right. One of mine had a partial mistamp that was upside down but they had stamped it again the right way.

jng2985
01-04-2014, 09:07 PM
So you had one right and one upside down? On the Ford springs they are stamped so you should be able to read ford when they are put in right. One of mine had a partial mistamp that was upside down but they had stamped it again the right way.

I originally had them installed and they put in f'd up.

donutninja
01-04-2014, 09:43 PM
So maybe I don't follow but why would the spring being upside down cause it to be fully compressed like that?

jng2985
01-04-2014, 10:16 PM
So maybe I don't follow but why would the spring being upside down cause it to be fully compressed like that?

That's how it should be just flipped over. Coils start narrow and spread out, when installed correctly you can't see how compressed the spring is unless its jacked up. It was a mind fuck of a thing. Had no clue wtf happened and thinking worse case I picked up another set of K springs. Looking at the rear spring this morning it occurred to me that it's prob upside down.
The kicker is, either way the load on the spring is the same no matter how it is installed? What I found, no more noise/ride was improved.

donutninja
01-05-2014, 12:17 AM
That's how it should be just flipped over. Coils start narrow and spread out, when installed correctly you can't see how compressed the spring is unless its jacked up. It was a mind fuck of a thing. Had no clue wtf happened and thinking worse case I picked up another set of K springs. Looking at the rear spring this morning it occurred to me that it's prob upside down.
The kicker is, either way the load on the spring is the same no matter how it is installed? What I found, no more noise/ride was improved.

yeah, crazy it can make such a big difference. At least you got it figured out!

zsommer79
01-05-2014, 06:35 PM

The load isn't the same because the angles the spring compress at are going to be affected. If you could have seen it compressed it probably had a bulge/arch in it. Have you checked the front to make sure the shop installed them correctly? If the strut mount isn't positioned correctly it will throw your angles off.

Dan12GT
01-08-2014, 09:27 AM
Ya I was about to say looks like the progressive coiled side of the spring is upside down. I'd defiantly re-check everything too.

jng2985
01-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Ya I was about to say looks like the progressive coiled side of the spring is upside down. I'd defiantly re-check everything too.

All is is well on the other corners, now off to ford for axle leak and idle issue.