PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging the Boss

Boss949
12-22-2013, 08:24 PM
I've really been considering adding F/I.

Considering my driving style and the type of racing (1/8 1/4) I'm leaning towards the Whipple/Roush/VMP . Not a DD and I know some think I should have bought a Shelby, but I didn't want one; wanted the Boss 302.

I know there's some really fast GT's here. Any Boss owners who have done this also. I believe the Roadrunner 5.0 has a lot of potential that can be unleashed with the right blower.

Thanks

Grandpa
12-22-2013, 08:37 PM
I've really been considering adding F/I.

Considering my driving style and the type of racing (1/8 1/4) I'm leaning towards the Whipple/Roush/VMP . Not a DD and I know some think I should have bought a Shelby, but I didn't want one; wanted the Boss 302.

I know there's some really fast GT's here. Any Boss owners who have done this also. I believe the Roadrunner 5.0 has a lot of potential that can be unleashed with the right blower.

Thanks

Justin's personal Boss just made 837rw with his VMP blower. Now that is BOSS!

LOSilcR16Hc

PLASMAN
12-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Hit up Eric Wood on the FB page, he has a 13 LS Boss with a TVS and a small shot of NOS. I'm sure he would be glad to show you his car and take you for a ride, that car is no joke lol

rlhay2
12-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Justin's personal Boss just made 837rw with his VMP blower. Now that is BOSS!

VMP's numbers are rather optimistic and not at all the norm for those mods.
They make good parts but their numbers are always taken "under ideal conditions".

PLASMAN
12-22-2013, 10:54 PM
They make good parts but their numbers are always taken "under ideal conditions".

Welcome Ronnie....

VNMOUS1
12-23-2013, 11:40 PM

This was done to show the full potential of the kit on a Boss. Shell URT and more timing than you'd run in a DD. Average for a VMP TVS supercharged Coyote is 600-650 rwhp on a" driver " tune.

Hi Ronnie.

rlhay2
12-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Hey Guys!:wave:

This was done to show the full potential of the kit on a Boss. Shell URT and more timing than you'd run in a DD. Average for a VMP TVS supercharged Coyote is 600-650 rwhp on a" driver " tune.

And this is exactly why I suggest contacting BJ for street based mod motor modifications. Straight, concise info with no BS!

BLK2012GT
12-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Jshoot has a boss with a D1 procharger on it. Ran 10.5's I believe. He's doing some other stuff to it and should be good for low 10's.

J.Shoot
12-30-2013, 09:17 AM
I have a D1 on my Boss and have really enjoyed it. My quickest 1/4 is 10.5 @ 131 mph, I ran a 10.53 and 10.57 the same night. I drive the car on the street so I like the way the D1 performs on the street. I like the standard transmission also. I know an auto would be alot faster at the track, just not sure if I would want to do that or not. I feel quite sure I will be faced with that decision this year. We (TS) rebuilt the bottom end and are doing a few minor details to the car now. Ready to get it rolling and back in my garage.
Good luck on your project.

J.Shoot

Boss949
12-30-2013, 08:29 PM
I have a D1 on my Boss and have really enjoyed it. My quickest 1/4 is 10.5 @ 131 mph, I ran a 10.53 and 10.57 the same night. I drive the car on the street so I like the way the D1 performs on the street. I like the standard transmission also. I know an auto would be alot faster at the track, just not sure if I would want to do that or not. I feel quite sure I will be faced with that decision this year. We (TS) rebuilt the bottom end and are doing a few minor details to the car now. Ready to get it rolling and back in my garage.
Good luck on your project.

J.Shoot

Thanks for your input. I've seen your car on another Forum and have been wanting to ask you about it. 10.5's are great numbers for sure. I've really been enjoying the research on the blowers. Right now I'm leaning to Roush (Shaun @AED really likes the PD better and I really like his tunes). But I'm also intrigued with the Centri's. I know how my car is off the line and the power band of the centri's is appealing. Anyway, I guess it's not unusual to to get confused over this stuff!!

J.Shoot
12-31-2013, 08:41 AM
I did alot of research before we decided to go with the Procharger. I called shops, looked at forums, read articles. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages. I guess the biggest reason we went with the centri was for ability to drive on the street. I think you can make all of them fast, it just takes the right combination. I have a race coming up in the near future with a guy running a PD blower. (he's a little more hp and torque than I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Holler at me if you want any info about what I have done to our Boss..

I talked to Shaun also before we did any work to our Boss. He doesn't like the centri's at all. lol.......

Good luck.
J.Shoot

2011gt/cs
12-31-2013, 02:30 PM
I did alot of research before we decided to go with the Procharger. I called shops, looked at forums, read articles. All of the systems have advantages and disadvantages. I guess the biggest reason we went with the centri was for ability to drive on the street. I think you can make all of them fast, it just takes the right combination. I have a race coming up in the near future with a guy running a PD blower. (he's a little more hp and torque than I am). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I talked to Shaun also before we did any work to our Boss. He doesn't like the centri's at all. lol.......

Good luck.
J.Shoot
Just curious, why did you choose the procharger over the paxton/vortech?

Boss949
12-31-2013, 02:38 PM

Good luck.
J.Shoot

So, did Shaun relent and tune it?
:snoopfacepalm:

It doesn't take long to get to 3-4K . When/Where, do feel the boost kick in?

thanks.

J.Shoot
01-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Just curious, why did you choose the procharger over the paxton/vortech?

I like the idea of the unit located to the side and running on its own belt. Also the installation required less modification for the ProCharger vs. the others, (just my understanding.)

J.Shoot

J.Shoot
01-02-2014, 08:57 AM
So, did Shaun relent and tune it?
:snoopfacepalm:

It doesn't take long to get to 3-4K . When/Where, do feel the boost kick in?

thanks.

No Shaun didn't tune it. True Street does "all" of my work. I've been really happy with everything they've done.
You really feel the car come to life around 3500.

J.Shoot

Crimson600+HP
01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I like the idea of the unit located to the side and running on its own belt. Also the installation required less modification for the ProCharger vs. the others, (just my understanding.)

J.Shoot

I was exactly the same way as you. Procharger with little trimming and a a stand alone drive belt. My only recommendation in hindsight would be do the tuner kit, get the D1SC, & get a larger set of injectors to leave room for expansion.

Slow Five-O
01-02-2014, 03:29 PM
I was exactly the same way as you. Procharger with little trimming and a a stand alone drive belt. My only recommendation in hindsight would be do the tuner kit, get the D1SC, & get a larger set of injectors to leave room for expansion.

You need a BAP? And what size injectors? I want to do exhaust and a D1 as only mods beside a 3500 convertor and suspension stuff.

Slow Five-O
01-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Or maybe just a p1.

Crimson600+HP
01-03-2014, 12:27 AM
I have a BAP coming in, but with the kit you get a set of 47lb injectors. If someone wanted more power and a better platform for more power down the road the D1 with like ID1000 injectors would leave options for a tuner.

My platform right now would be limited probably to the 600-625HP range to stay safe.

Slow Five-O
01-03-2014, 01:21 AM
I have a BAP coming in, but with the kit you get a set of 47lb injectors. If someone wanted more power and a better platform for more power down the road the D1 with like ID1000 injectors would leave options for a tuner.

My platform right now would be limited probably to the 600-625HP range to stay safe.

Thanks. That's really all I'm looking for.

Boss949
01-03-2014, 02:02 AM
No Shaun didn't tune it. True Street does "all" of my work. I've been really happy with everything they've done.
You really feel the car come to life around 3500.

J.Shoot

True Street has a great reputation for sure. I've been driving my car in the cold the past few days just to tell myself that I don't need anymore power. You know, like tacking up to 7800+ and shifting quick….

It ain't working….. I need more….

Most of the guys that I know personally, who tune, install, etc. seem to be wanting me to get a Roush Kit.

I really appreciate all the input here. Great stuff to research and ponder.

J.Shoot
01-06-2014, 08:18 AM
You can't go wrong either way, it will be loads of fun.

Good luck.
J.Shoot

Boss949
01-06-2014, 11:04 PM
J. Shoot,

Thanks for your help.

Thinking about going with a E85 Tune and ID 1000's soon; need them for a SC anyway.

VNMOUS1
01-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Boss. VMP TVS. 835 rwhp.

Boss949
01-17-2014, 01:27 AM
Boss. VMP TVS. 835 rwhp.

I know it's a great unit. I bought my Boss in Central Florida and familiar with Justin's work. I called him last month about a unit.