PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished!

JDMLOL
12-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Just completed my undergrad in Information Systems. I have a job set to start in July and will be in training for six months out of state. Until then I am contracting here locally four days a week starting in January. The real question is, what should I do in my spare time?

Grandpa
12-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Start on your certifications. The more you have the more valuable you are in different areas. When my wife hires people for her staff she looks at how versatile a new hire could be. In general in the IT field, there is more stock put into certs rather than a degree. While your degree says that you stuck with it that long and you are serious about it, you still need to get that work experience under your belt in as many areas as possible.

With your extra time, you can do contract work to get experience and have things to add to your resume.

SMERF
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Im going for Computer Info Systems, can't wait to be done. Depending on what field you want to go into, get the appropriate certs. I have done some Java Programming and will be going for my Oracle cert here soon

Hddcrasher
12-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Cisco certs VMware certs, Citrix certs and project management certs.

SMERF
12-11-2013, 07:45 PM
VMWare is big, I would definitely look into that as well

JDMLOL
12-11-2013, 08:39 PM
What about PMP? I had the opportunity to do it through school but I had way too much going on this semester to devote adequate time to study for the test.

Grandpa
12-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Yes. Pmp is a good one especially if you are looking to getinto management.

yefferys50
12-26-2013, 12:48 PM
If you're looking to get into IT in general getting Cisco certs will help you tremendously. Getting a CCNA will open a ton of doors for you, if you're looking to get into Networking. Getting a CCNP or CCIE will basically allow you to work for any IT company of your choosing.

bird_dog0347
12-26-2013, 04:40 PM
I agree on getting certs, I did the MCSE and CCNA a long time ago just because. I currently only work on F5 devices at my job and it is a VERY hot area right now. We cannot find enough qualified people to help us out, and if you've got experience (3-5 years) and you know your shit, $100k+ jobs are super easy to find.