PDA

View Full Version : So how well did the Stang handle in the ice?

saunupe1911
12-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Well, I know a lot of us probably drove to work this morning so how well did the Stang handle in the ice. My 295/35/20 nitto invos surprisingly held the icy DNT down!!! No slip or squirm. I'm getting my moneys worth out of this tire in all weather conditions so far.

re-rx7
12-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I owned the ice in my hyundai accent!

saunupe1911
12-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I need a beater. Looking for an old civic.

Grandpa
12-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Agreed. No worries about any conditions in my 4x4 beater.

DirtyD
12-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Mine handles great. These Michelin PSS held their own as well. I only did some sliding on Friday night when I basically came to a stop in some thick slush spots.

However, the cobblestone ice that I did encounter (@ 20 mph) made the tires completely useless when I went airbourne.

rriddle3
12-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Using full AdavnceTrac I had no issues to speak of. Just slowed way down when I saw ice or the road looked slick and moved along.

03MachMe
12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Haha my Chevy Colorado did fine. My mustang hasn't left the garage since Wednesday

Grandpa
12-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Haha my Chevy Colorado did fine. My mustang hasn't left the garage since Wednesday

I'd like to hear some of the funny stories you saw over the last few days.

03MachMe
12-10-2013, 06:06 PM
I'd like to hear some of the funny stories you saw over the last few days.

Actually I think it was so bad that people actually stayed off the road. We didn't have any bad accidents just lots of fender benders. Other than that it was VERY boring

Grandpa
12-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Actually I think it was so bad that people actually stayed off the road. We didn't have any bad accidents just lots of fender benders. Other than that it was VERY boring

I'm surprised. I expected some people to be out attempting some Christmas shopping.

DirtyD
12-10-2013, 06:41 PM
You should've come over to work in Tarrant County. People falling off bridges and overpasses, cars flipping...

stupid fucking people.

Grandpa
12-10-2013, 06:42 PM
You should've come over to work in Tarrant County. People falling off bridges and overpasses, cars flipping...

stupid fucking people.

That's Tarrant County for you..

BERT
12-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Steve's car doesn't even know what clouds look like :D

five.slow
12-10-2013, 07:11 PM
funny as hell when it snows or the roads get ice on them everyone drives like complete retards in texas. iv always been a good driver and understand how cars will act in different conditions which is the same for many of yall. just funny to see others hit ice and freak out and crash. after driving in korea in the winters im even better on ice and stuff. yall stay safe and watch out for 16yr old girls texting and driving 20mph over the speed limit on curvy roads with ice... best of luck to everyone.

Grandpa
12-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Steve's car doesn't even know what clouds look like :D

Not true. I drove it home in the rain from the Mustang vs Camaro event on my drag radials. A big rig went by and splashed enough water in our lane my car went 90 degrees the wrong way facing the guard rail. Thankfully was able to pull it back without hitting anything or anyone but scared the shit out of my poor wife in the process who rarely goes to any Mustang stuff with me anymore. Exactly what I was worried about almost happened because I let you guys talking shit affect me. Won't happen again, you guys can go fuck yourselves. lol

JDBishopArts
12-10-2013, 07:52 PM
It handled great. Sat in the garage the whole time with no problems.

BERT
12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Not true. I drove it home in the rain from the Mustang vs Camaro event on my drag radials. A big rig went by and splashed enough water in our lane my car went 90 degrees the wrong way facing the guard rail. Thankfully was able to pull it back without hitting anything or anyone but scared the shit out of my poor wife in the process who rarely goes to any Mustang stuff with me anymore. Exactly what I was worried about almost happened because I let you guys talking shit affect me. Won't happen again, you guys can go fuck yourselves. lol

WHOA WHOA WHOA!! You guys?? Go back and tell me where I talked shit about you not going there? Won't find it!!! Mainly cause I had just joined the forum then lol

Midnight11
12-11-2013, 12:17 PM
the fiesta did great

Dan12GT
12-11-2013, 12:26 PM
I had to drive it yesterday and the day before. My Continentals did very well. My car is so dirty!!! Pains me to see it this dirty lol!

pohnjarker
12-11-2013, 02:41 PM
if it wasnt 150 miles round trip to work and back, i'd take the mustang more often than once a week when i have to.

otherwise, my outback laughed at the conditions but then again, i dont drive a dick hole and stayed away from other cars as much as i could.

donutninja
12-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I was out in it Fri/Sat/Sun... There was a lot of "I'm glad I know how to handle my car" sliding situations and actually got stuck on I-35 Friday night because the stupid car in front of me came to a complete stop. Couldn't get traction to start back up again and it took about 3 minutes.

Saturday I threw a ton of stuff in the trunk and didn't really have any issues. 2nd gear starts and going 25mph in 5th ftw. haha

I was really surprised at the speeds some people were trying to go... seriously unsafe.

fordplay
12-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Thursday was the last day I drove it till Wednesday, because on the way home Thursday traffic going over that new bridge from 114 to 170 came to a stop going up hill.. yep.. they all stopped. .. it was about 6:00 PM and all ice, between feathering the clutch and throttle and spinning the tires I slid up the bridge at about a 30 degree angle... got home and told the wife I'm taking her 4,800 flex.

G-Mann
12-12-2013, 11:51 PM
My driveway faces South so it is all thawed out but it is still a winter wonder land on the other side of the street that does not get the direct sunlight. Trip looking.

No daily beater but I got some really cool work from home options and was already stocked up so I have not had to drive in this crap. Got to get some supplies Tomorrow but its a non issue now.

Dominic Toretto
12-13-2013, 10:01 AM
I got some pretty epic, unintentional drift action crossing PGBT Sunday. Other than that, I couldn't move my car from Thursday to Sunday afternoon.

-Alex

donutninja
12-13-2013, 10:17 AM
PGBT was horrible from what I hear. I avoided it until Tuesday. Now it a sandstorm everywhere.

Sieran
12-14-2013, 09:31 PM
wHs2S32ATqw

Figured I would break the news this way...

In all honesty, it did handle like shit in the ice though. LOL

DirtyD
12-14-2013, 11:31 PM
wHs2S32ATqw

Figured I would break the news this way...

In all honesty, it did handle like shit in the ice though. LOL

Is the camera still in the car? I'll get my buddy to grab it. Lol

J/k

Sieran
12-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Is the camera still in the car? I'll get my buddy to grab it. Lol

J/k

Haha, just the mount that I forgot to take out in the stress of dealing with the ice.

I heard the owner already bought the car for his son, so I hope it is back out on the road soon. I felt bad trading it in, but I was getting sick of the sore legs and back every time I drove more than 30 or 40 minutes. I tried pedal adjustments, tinkering with the seats for hours, and just trying to "adjust", but it never was comfortable.

The wife is happy I am out of it anyways. She keeps thinking I'm pulling some Knight Rider shit every time I drive it or something. The less she is worried the less stressful it is for me too. :Big Laugh:

DirtyD
12-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Haha, just the mount that I forgot to take out in the stress of dealing with the ice.

I heard the owner already bought the car for his son, so I hope it is back out on the road soon. I felt bad trading it in, but I was getting sick of the sore legs and back every time I drove more than 30 or 40 minutes. I tried pedal adjustments, tinkering with the seats for hours, and just trying to "adjust", but it never was comfortable.

The wife is happy I am out of it anyways. She keeps thinking I'm pulling some Knight Rider shit every time I drive it or something. The less she is worried the less stressful it is for me too. :Big Laugh:

What did you end up getting instead?

Sieran
12-15-2013, 11:39 AM
What did you end up getting instead?

Something about the size of the VW GTI I had before. I almost went back to one, but wanted something a little faster so I looked at the Golf R a little, but couldn't justify the price tag at all compared to other options.

I know, it's ricer... but it is comfortable and fun to drive in traffic.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3789/11385223934_e36375f451_b.jpg

03MachMe
12-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Sti are fun cars, no mustang but I would daily one. Hope you enjoy it

46Tbird
12-15-2013, 03:01 PM
I didn't drive it in the ice, exactly. It sat from Thursday evening until Tuesday morning, at which point I was so stir crazy I just had to get out of the house.

This are the 'before' pics, taken right before I did a 30-minute session at the self serve car wash. I had to take these because this is the dirtiest the car has ever been. It will probably take a few months to really get it clean again.

Sieran
12-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Sti are fun cars, no mustang but I would daily one. Hope you enjoy it

It definitely is not a mustang. I keep mashing the skinny pedal expecting it to go, only to realize I am not anywhere near boost and only at 2K RPM. Mustang would go, this wont.

However... once I do hit boost... dear god :driver:

I missed that turbo whine so much and it does make a great DD.

maxpayne
12-15-2013, 08:09 PM
You trade it in with all your mods intact?

Sieran
12-15-2013, 08:25 PM
You trade it in with all your mods intact?

Just the muffler and shifter. I wasn't about to crawl underneath it again to try and take it back out and try to find all my stock parts/screws. It actually helped trade the car believe it or not...

maxpayne
12-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Oh okay cool. I love Subarus as well. Had a 2011 Wrx and it was a lot of fun. How much can you get off sticker these days for a new STI? And good choice getting a 2014. The new 2015s look like shit.

Sieran
12-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh okay cool. I love Subarus as well. Had a 2011 Wrx and it was a lot of fun. How much can you get off sticker these days for a new STI? And good choice getting a 2014. The new 2015s look like shit.

I'm not sure how much on average... Only reason I got a smoking deal on this was because I happen to know a friend at the dealer. Took a huge loss on the stang, since I got it with nothing down and only had it for 10 months.

Payments are 40 more a month for 75 months, but insurance goes down like 10 or 15 as of January and gas will be cheaper so that just about offsets the difference. It is of no consequence anyways, because when my F150 gets paid off in a bit those payments will double down on this one.

As for the looks, I love it. Not sure on the sticker on the side yet, but I cant remove it without removing their 3m clear bra since it was put under it. Plus for the '15s, no more STi hatch. Lots are pissed about that.