PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here tuned thru AED?

toomnymods
12-09-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm wanting to get rid of my bama tune and go ahead and get the tuning thru AED. Who uses him here and where can I find good 93 octane gas in south arlington?
Thanks

DirtyD
12-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Make the switch, and you will be happy.

As for good gas, you will get a ton of different answers and opinions on that.

I've been meaning to do some datalogging on Kroger gas to see if the timing I was pulling on Shell 93 goes away.

Some people will say that QT, Exxon, and Chevron will have the best gas, other will say bullshit, etc. So it's hard to say.

BLK2012GT
12-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Brent Yager (yagermister) used or still uses AED. I would PM him if you want info on it. And the best gas is E85.

Yagermeister
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
I've used Bama for awhile and they weren't bad. A little more hp, more pep, and great customer service.

I've used AED for awhile longer than I did Bama. A lot more hp and pep over Bama, and great customer service.

If you change things on your car frequently or need to tune your car for different temperatures, track conditions, etc tune it yourself like I currently do with the SCT ProRacer Package. When I started tuning my car myself I used a VMP base tune and it was ok but with all the engine changes and trans tuning I needed, I have had to change every single parameter VMP provided to something else.

Don Yaxley, Johnathan Kelley, and Eric Wood like VMP and have had success also.

Many of the members here also use Kevin Dunn (04sleeper) here locally. He tunes on the side from his normal job and is not a shop. He does a phenomenal job and the great thing is that he is local!

rriddle3
12-09-2013, 11:06 AM
...And the best gas is E85.
:snoopfacepalm:

BLK2012GT
12-09-2013, 11:08 AM
:snoopfacepalm:

If you don't know the joke then don't respond.

rriddle3
12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
If you don't know the joke then don't respond.
I do know the joke, thank you. That's why I responded like I did.

DirtyD
12-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I've used Bama for awhile and they weren't bad. A little more hp, more pep, and great customer service.

I've used AED for awhile longer than I did Bama. A lot more hp and pep over Bama, and great customer service.

If you change things on your car frequently or need to tune your car for different temperatures, track conditions, etc tune it yourself like I currently do with the SCT ProRacer Package. When I started tuning my car myself I used a VMP base tune and it was ok but with all the engine changes and trans tuning I needed, I have had to change every single parameter VMP provided to something else.

Don Yaxley, Johnathan Kelley, and Eric Wood like VMP and have had success also.

Many of the members here also use Kevin Dunn (04sleeper) here locally. He tunes on the side from his normal job and is not a shop. He does a phenomenal job and the great thing is that he is local!
I'm going to join the VMP list soon. I know his tunes take awhile to get to me, so we will see once I get it.

BLK2012GT
12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I do know the joke, thank you. That's why I responded like I did.

:rage:

JDBishopArts
12-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Get DUNN TUNED.

jng2985
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm wanting to get rid of my bama tune and go ahead and get the tuning thru AED. Who uses him here and where can I find good 93 octane gas in south arlington?
Thanks

Jersyjoe on here just loaded a aed tune, we did a few runs and he now walks all over me "I'm stock tune".

toomnymods
12-10-2013, 08:55 AM
So what's so bad about E-85? I've read it has very similar octane to using methanol injection, but safer but requires a ton more fuel.

DirtyD
12-10-2013, 10:18 AM
So what's so bad about E-85? I've read it has very similar octane to using methanol injection, but safer but requires a ton more fuel.
It's a joke.

E85 will require about 30% more fuel than normal E10 gas. On a N/A application, E85 is going to do more for protecting the engine than it will to give you additional power. The big power boost won't come until you go boosted.

pohnjarker
12-10-2013, 12:23 PM
I have AED, NA and FI...both great tunes and customer service is 10 times better than BAMA at least and so are the tunes...IMO.

hard to tell on the gas, it seems there are bad batches with everyone at some point. i personally use Brookshires so whoever they get theirs from.

if you throw a couple gallons of race gas in there for logging...will that help in case of a bad batch??

Grandpa
12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Get DUNN TUNED.

This.

five.slow
12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Shaun at AED tuned my car when i first got it. I was one of the first hand full to get the lope tune too. probably loaded 20 different tunes helping him out. I actually took my car to his shop here in california to have it dyno tuned when i put the paxton on. Did 91 and e85 tunes. he is a great tuner and he has awesome customer service. when i trade my car in the first mod will be a AED tune.

fordplay
12-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Here is the thing... everyone who works in any retail business inspects their rivals products, GM admitted to having an entire shop devoted to reverse engineering, FORD does it. Samsung does it, apple does it, what makes you think AED and bama haven't? OK AED data logs , so does bama if you ask, dyno tune is best followed by a datalog tune, then mail order, and I'd say they are the same exact tricks in each tune.

DirtyD
12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
dyno tune is best followed by a datalog tune, then mail order, and I'd say they are the same exact tricks in each tune.

Here is where you can start to argue.

A dyno tune is a tune conducted in a controlled environment. The car isn't truly driving around, and if tuned fro WOT almost exclusively.

An email tune works exactly like a dyno tune. You are monitoring the same parameters as the dyno tune, but you are also tuning the part throttle and driveability of the car, which to 95% of the people that get tuned, live most of their lives. Having better driveability is much more important to me than squeezing out a few extra ponies when I'll only be racing every so often.

Yagermeister
12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Fordplay, I don't know about you but I certainly don't drive around at the track or the street with my hood open and big fans blowing air straight at my car and my air filter (giving a slightly false reading of how much air is being ingested into the engine and therefore affecting a/f readings) hence why I like datalog tuning on the street and track. While on a dyno I also don't use an air/fuel ratio meter in my tailpipe which is 10 feet away from the cylinder head also giving up to (in some cases) a full point of false a/f readings especially if the sensor is not changed out every couple of weeks or sooner due to leaded race fuels in some cars. I use my Ford provided wideband o2 or install an aftermarket wideband into a car that wasn't provided one close for much more accurate readings.

Most dynos are inertia dynos and don't take load into consideration the same way the street does or a load bearing dyno does. If you get a "full dyno tune" on a LOAD BEARING dyno then dyno tuning can be closer to street/track tuning (not close but closer because you still have the hood open with air blowing straight at the air filter). What I mean by "full dyno tune" is making sure ALL areas the car will be operating in are taken care of such as idle, part throttle low load, part throttle medium load, part throttle high load, tip-in, decel, shift points and lockup points if an auto, and WOT). This cannot be accomplished by driving around the block or two blocks and then back into the garage. The OEM's will "engine dyno" their engines to get them close but then they drive around on the street and on tracks for months and months...not on an inertia dyno or even a load bearing dyno for months and months.

Datalog tuning is exactly what we all saw the camouflaged 2015 Mustang doing for the last few months when it was on city streets.

There are only a few tuners that datalog your car BEFORE tuning it. The reason they do this is to confirm that your car is mechanically correct to tune which also reduces their liability. How can they tune your car if you have a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak before the wideband o2 sensor?? Back when Shaun @ AED was tuning my car, he found in my datalogs that I had a vacuum leak and therefore he would not tune my car. I found the CAI tube coupler to MAF was loose. I fixed it and then he saw in the datalogs that I fixed it and we were good to go. The datalogs can also show poor fuel being used which obviously can affect tuning.

I am serious when I say the following: This post is NOT directed at ANY company in the metroplex or in the the country whatsoever so please do not read anything into my post.

Datalog Tuning FTW!

Grandpa
12-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Here is the thing... everyone who works in any retail business inspects their rivals products, GM admitted to having an entire shop devoted to reverse engineering, FORD does it. Samsung does it, apple does it, what makes you think AED and bama haven't? OK AED data logs , so does bama if you ask, dyno tune is best followed by a datalog tune, then mail order, and I'd say they are the same exact tricks in each tune.

Tuners cannot see eachother's tune files when they are looking at a cars computer.

As for the same exact "tricks", that isn't true either. A couple of the major tuners has/had inside information from the engineering department at Ford which gave them ahead start of everyone else in 2010 right before the Coyote was released. That is the reason why you saw these two major email tuners doing so well and others like Bama who were not privy to the information blowing up more shit than Al Qaudea trying to figure it out on their own.

Here is where you can start to argue.

A dyno tune is a tune conducted in a controlled environment. The car isn't truly driving around, and if tuned fro WOT almost exclusively.

An email tune works exactly like a dyno tune. You are monitoring the same parameters as the dyno tune, but you are also tuning the part throttle and driveability of the car, which to 95% of the people that get tuned, live most of their lives. Having better driveability is much more important to me than squeezing out a few extra ponies when I'll only be racing every so often.

While it is true a dyno tune can only get so close to duplicating the real environment load that takes place on the street, it's still the safest way to tune a car in a legal manner.

I personally think email tunes are an unsafe way to tune a car. You are taking a big risk making pulls on a partially untuned car. Yes, some of these tuners have procedures they explain to owners how to do datalogs for them in increments but something can still can wrong causing damage to the motor. Therein lies the problem with email tuning a car is no live tuner sitting in the car watching as the pulls are taking place.

The BEST way for optimal tuning is street data logging with the tuner in the car in the environment the is intended to be used on real load and air. If something doesn't look right, the tuner can tell you on the spot to stop the pull right then and there. By doing this not only can you be assured you are getting a proper safe tune, but also get the most power and best possible drivability. There is only so much a tuner can do when he doesn't actually put his hands on the car.

Grandpa
12-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Fordplay, I don't know about you but I certainly don't drive around at the track or the street with my hood open and big fans blowing air straight at my car and my air filter (giving a slightly false reading of how much air is being ingested into the engine and therefore affecting a/f readings) hence why I like datalog tuning on the street and track. While on a dyno I also don't use an air/fuel ratio meter in my tailpipe which is 10 feet away from the cylinder head also giving up to (in some cases) a full point of false a/f readings especially if the sensor is not changed out every couple of weeks or sooner due to leaded race fuels in some cars. I use my Ford provided wideband o2 or install an aftermarket wideband into a car that wasn't provided one close for much more accurate readings.

Most dynos are inertia dynos and don't take load into consideration the same way the street does or a load bearing dyno does. If you get a "full dyno tune" on a LOAD BEARING dyno then dyno tuning can be closer to street/track tuning (not close but closer because you still have the hood open with air blowing straight at the air filter). What I mean by "full dyno tune" is making sure ALL areas the car will be operating in are taken care of such as idle, part throttle low load, part throttle medium load, part throttle high load, tip-in, decel, shift points and lockup points if an auto, and WOT). This cannot be accomplished by driving around the block or two blocks and then back into the garage. The OEM's will "engine dyno" their engines to get them close but then they drive around on the street and on tracks for months and months...not on an inertia dyno or even a load bearing dyno for months and months.

Datalog tuning is exactly what we all saw the camouflaged 2015 Mustang doing for the last few months when it was on city streets.

There are only a few tuners that datalog your car BEFORE tuning it. The reason they do this is to confirm that your car is mechanically correct to tune which also reduces their liability. How can they tune your car if you have a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak before the wideband o2 sensor?? Back when Shaun @ AED was tuning my car, he found in my datalogs that I had a vacuum leak and therefore he would not tune my car. I found the CAI tube coupler to MAF was loose. I fixed it and then he saw in the datalogs that I fixed it and we were good to go. The datalogs can also show poor fuel being used which obviously can affect tuning.

I am serious when I say the following: This post is NOT directed at ANY company in the metroplex or in the the country whatsoever so please do not read anything into my post.

Datalog Tuning FTW!

You beat me to it! lol. We were typing at the same time. Very well said.

Yagermeister
12-12-2013, 11:01 AM
I hit refresh before posting because I had a feeling you were typing too but yours didn't show up so I hit go :)

Grandpa
12-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Back on topic..

jerseyjoe
12-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Installed my AED tune a few weeks ago, very happy with the tune and service received from shaun @ AED. I will dyno soon to see what my hp gains were, i can say that the gains are noticeable and the car pulls hard.

OG Fox
12-12-2013, 11:10 PM
aed tunes are awesome. better than true street. but thats not saying much!

Grandpa
12-13-2013, 12:54 AM
aed tunes are awesome. better than true street. but thats not saying much!

You know this first hand from your own car or is this more of the bandwagon he said she said bs?

I've got a TS tune and my car runs great.

OG Fox
12-13-2013, 12:56 AM
You know this first hand from your own car or is this more of the bandwagon he said she said bs?

I've got a TS tune and my car runs great.

first hand knowledge. and i like talking shit.

Grandpa
12-13-2013, 12:56 AM
first hand knowledge. and i like talking shit.

Well, at least we agree on that, your statement was shit.

OG Fox
12-13-2013, 01:00 AM
Well, at least we agree on that, your statement was shit.

awww im sorry not everyone sucks clint's dick. go with aed if you want a good tune.

Grandpa
12-13-2013, 01:27 AM
awww im sorry not everyone sucks clint's dick. go with aed if you want a good tune.

Im really beginning to wonder about you with how often you talk about sucking dick. It happens WAY too often.

You can call it whatever you like. I dont mind at all you strongly suggesting AED for your choice of tuner. But bashing TS like that in an unprovoked manner isnt cool at all.

Clint and Sean are good people who work really hard to make their customers happy. They are car guys just like the rest of us who decided to put everything in their own personal lives on the line to start a very expensive start up business. They feed their families that way. They both have the cutest little kids and when you say shit like that you are directly affecting them too by taking food out of their mouths.

You're entitled to your opinion of course but you dont have to be an ass about it. There has already been enough bad blood around here cuz of shit like that. No reason to take it further unnecessarily.

toomnymods
12-13-2013, 02:23 AM
So if i can't find good decent 93 octane gas I might just go ahead and make the jump to E85.. What all is needed just frpp 47lb injectors and o/r x pipe?
What model injectors do i use? i seen frpp has 2 diffrent sets of them..

Yagermeister
12-13-2013, 02:55 AM
Toomnymods,

If you are NA then you only need e85, 47# injectors (http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/FORD-RACING-47LB-FUEL-INJECTORS-%252d-Set-of-8-%252d-M%252d9593%252dLU47.html), and a good tune.

toomnymods
12-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Toomnymods,

If you are NA then you only need e85, 47# injectors (http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/FORD-RACING-47LB-FUEL-INJECTORS-%252d-Set-of-8-%252d-M%252d9593%252dLU47.html), and a good tune.

thx yager.. probably will still do the o/r x pipe so i can get a good measurable increase in hp/tq probably get about a 20hp increase from ditching cats and going to e-85.. plus im sure AED will pick up some ponies over what bama is doing.. Hopefully I can get it up to 425-430rwhp.. then start saving for some rims and longtubes..

Grandpa
12-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Yager - how often do you test the e85?

Yagermeister
12-13-2013, 10:20 AM
I ran it for almost 2 months earlier this year. I tested it the first 3 tanks and it was always e90 or better so I stopped testing. This was in Feb-Mar of 2013 at the Kroger at 121/Coit

Midnight11
12-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Don't have to test the Kroger on 121 and coit it's always good!

Grandpa
12-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Don't have to test the Kroger on 121 and coit it's always good!

Did you finally convert over?

re-rx7
12-13-2013, 11:55 AM
I stick with Exxon/mobil and Chevron and have had good luck. Steve said it best in a post a few months ago. When you get gas make sure you get 20$ or more because there will be some residual 87 from the person before left in the line.

2011gt/cs
12-16-2013, 10:24 PM
Can't go wrong with AED man

StangFreak
12-17-2013, 12:09 AM
How much is an AED tune? is the lope tune the same or is it different?

DirtyD
12-17-2013, 12:48 AM

Last I know is $320 for 3 tunes I think. Lope tune was an extra $50

StangFreak
12-17-2013, 01:13 AM
[QUOTE=DirtyD;59118]Last I know is $320 for 3 tunes I think. Lope tune was an extra $50[/QUOTE

What are the differences in the tunes ?

fordplay
12-17-2013, 08:31 AM
There is no reason to bash anyone or any company here, that's uncalled for, I run a safe bama tune, I'm sure an AED or another could get me another 5 to 10 horse, but not free like bama.. and I drive with my hood open all the time!!! Ace ventura style head out the window! All the kids are doing it these days... you guys make good points about the data logging tunes vs dyno but ... I'll have to test it out.. and I wasn't suggesting the other companies could see the other companies tune I'm suggesting they outright purchased one to compare that's all, 3 years ago I bet Lund and others that had inside info were better. But now they are all really close.

Yagermeister
12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
fordplay,

Ace Ventura style FTW!!!

On a different note, if you purchase a tune from a company you cannot simply see the settings in the tune with the SCT dealer software as the file format is completely different. When you use the SCT software as a dealer or a proracer (as SCT calls it), you make your tune then you save it in one format and then must convert it into another to send to a customer thereby encrypting it. If you want to see what is in the tune file as a customer, you either have to have the dealer send you the tune file in the dealer format or you can try to datalog the car and you can start to make some educated guesses about what certain settings are based on what you see in the datalogs but you will not see what really is in the tune.

BERT
12-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Did he screw up the tune on your Miata? :blah:

OG Fox
12-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Did he screw up the tune on your Miata? :blah:

yeah man. cus ive always owned the miata. EAD.

BERT
12-18-2013, 12:08 AM
yeah man. cus ive always owned the miata. EAD.

Is that when you knew you were gay? When you bought the Miata?

OG Fox
12-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Is that when you knew you were gay? When you bought the Miata?

It's not gay when your on top. :love62:

fordplay
12-18-2013, 08:16 AM
Yager, so the tune is encrypted and you can't reverse engineer it??? Hmm mm interesting. .. modern tuning is black magic to me, I've never had the patience to program either so... and OG.. not to get involved in another person's argument. . But.. yes. Even on top you are!!! Ha ha

Yagermeister
12-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Yager, so the tune is encrypted and you can't reverse engineer it??? Hmm mm interesting. .. modern tuning is black magic to me, I've never had the patience to program either so...

Anything can be reverse engineered given resources...which is how SCT and Diablosport make a living...unencrypting Ford's tuning ;) For the average tuner/shop to do so isn't just as easy as buying someone else's tune and looking at it is all I was saying.

BERT
12-18-2013, 10:52 AM
It's not gay when your on top. :love62:

I'm literally LMAO over here. Good one

fordplay
12-19-2013, 08:58 AM
I'd actually be very interested in someone that could take 2 tunes and compare them, maybe even in the same car, not just butt dyno, hell not even a real dyno, but someone that could say ok tune "x" employs a 900 rpm idle and a 25% advance throttle opening and so much torque management and tune "z" does 23 degree advance ... Etc. . You know? Like my steeda tune is great but very safe and I swear when I shift it takes away 50% throttle, the bama race tune is a monster, just shreds tires Alllllllllll the time but I swear when I get a bad tank of gas and I'm wot and shift I hear predetnation, the logs see nothing but I swear I hear it on bad gas, however the performance tune saves my tires and I think has a touch of torque management in there.. and other tunes are all in the middle. But I could be wrong on everything???

Dan12GT
12-19-2013, 11:30 AM
Brent you need hood struts!

Yagermeister
12-19-2013, 11:48 AM
They are on my Christmas list along with a new radiator shield that the current hood prop has scratched up ;)

jerseyjoe
12-19-2013, 09:47 PM

$250 for street and race tunes + $75 to add cam lope tune

Boss949
12-19-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm new here. I've had AED tunes since 7/13. Performance Tune and Drag Tune are the same except on the Drag the nannies are disabled. I also have the Lopey.

Absolutely worth effort. I like to run at the TMS Friday Night Drags. After getting the Tunes from Shaun and adding MT ET II's DR's. My car was completely different. Shaun is also great at customer service.

A couple of things that I learned along the way about SCT/Tuning, etc.
(if this has been posted before than forgive me for redundancy)
1. Get a 2 amp trickle charger There is something that can cause voltage to change during the downloading in the 2011+ 5.0's. (SCT tech told me)
2. Always retune at home and make sure auto/lamps and all acc are off.

I had an issue with pump gas from this area. Shaun said he had a few guys in Texas that he had the same experience with. I just use Shell 93 now.

As good as the Tune is; I'm still looking at Whipple 2.9!!!

kdanner
12-20-2013, 06:29 AM
As good as the Tune is

At the TX Mile where it is all about power and there are no traction/suspension excuses, none of his cars seem to ever get it done. Even a TVS blown car he did was stuck in the mid 160s. Lund seems to be exactly the opposite, many strong cars there, year after year.

Dan12GT
12-20-2013, 09:35 AM
They are on my Christmas list along with a new radiator shield that the current hood prop has scratched up ;)

Haha nice! Weight reduction lose that hood prop! LOL!

Dan12GT
12-20-2013, 09:37 AM
I'm new here. I've had AED tunes since 7/13. Performance Tune and Drag Tune are the same except on the Drag the nannies are disabled. I also have the Lopey.

Absolutely worth effort. I like to run at the TMS Friday Night Drags. After getting the Tunes from Shaun and adding MT ET II's DR's. My car was completely different. Shaun is also great at customer service.

A couple of things that I learned along the way about SCT/Tuning, etc.
(if this has been posted before than forgive me for redundancy)
1. Get a 2 amp trickle charger There is something that can cause voltage to change during the downloading in the 2011+ 5.0's. (SCT tech told me)
2. Always retune at home and make sure auto/lamps and all acc are off.

I had an issue with pump gas from this area. Shaun said he had a few guys in Texas that he had the same experience with. I just use Shell 93 now.

As good as the Tune is; I'm still looking at Whipple 2.9!!!

I think I've seen you driving around the Trophy Club / Roanoke area! :)

DirtyD
12-20-2013, 10:22 AM
At the TX Mile where it is all about power and there are no traction/suspension excuses, none of his cars seem to ever get it done. Even a TVS blown car he did was stuck in the mid 160s. Lund seems to be exactly the opposite, many strong cars there, year after year.
I've come to think that his tunes are more about a mesh between solid power and driveability, and not just straight power.

Boss949
12-21-2013, 01:55 AM
I think I've seen you driving around the Trophy Club / Roanoke area! :)

Yes, you have. I've seen you also. I live in TC.

Your car sounds great. I was at Roanoke Rd/170 when you went by.

Boss949
12-21-2013, 02:05 AM

I ran The Mile for the first time. I only did 2 runs. 143 to qualify and then 152.7 later on Friday. I really didn't know I should have just kept it in 4th, etc. On my second run, it was into about 25 mph head wind and I could really tell the difference. Had to leave Friday night. I'm thinking my car can do 160 ish.??? However, I noticed your speed: 180; that's very good. You running Lund with what blower?

My son-in-law has CTS V (800+ rwhp) and he maxed out at 196 ( I think; have to verify)

ps Im also looking at VMP, Roush, etc…

Yagermeister
12-21-2013, 02:42 AM
I ran The Mile for the first time. I only did 2 runs. 143 to qualify and then 152.7 later on Friday. I really didn't know I should have just kept it in 4th, etc. On my second run, it was into about 25 mph head wind and I could really tell the difference. Had to leave Friday night. I'm thinking my car can do 160 ish.??? However, I noticed your speed: 180; that's very good. You running Lund with what blower?

My son-in-law has CTS V (800+ rwhp) and he maxed out at 196 ( I think; have to verify)

ps Im also looking at VMP, Roush, etc…

Boss949, kdanner tunes his own car and it is a NA Boss engine with a 6R80 trans in it...no blower, no turbo, and no NOS

Boss949
12-21-2013, 02:47 AM
Boss949, kdanner tunes his own car and it is a NA Boss engine with a 6R80 trans in it...no blower, no turbo, and no NOS

That is impressive!!!

Yager: I've seen your Youtube also. Very impressive. Thanks for info.

Yagermeister
12-21-2013, 02:54 AM
That is impressive!!!

Yager: I've seen your Youtube also. Very impressive. Thanks for info.

No problem!

kdanner
12-21-2013, 07:09 PM

Yager already explained it pretty well. First time I ran the mile was in 2011, 160.4 with the bone stock engine, and I even had a 4.30 axle at the time. I had to borrow some taller tires to get it over 160 on my last run, and I did blow them off pretty hard so if I had more time it could have done somewhat better. Switched to a 3.31 axle and in 2012 I had the Boss engine and ran 171.5, I think I was pretty close to getting the most out of it I could at the time. 2013 I changed some things around and had the CJ manifold on the Boss engine. The 180 was a perfect run, and would be very hard for me to duplicate again. When it shifted into 4th gear right as the 1/4 mile mark went by, I knew it was going to be a good one. The car really needed a 3.15 gear in it to eliminate shifting into 5th, and it would do a bit better. The auto trans is a handicap out there, always chasing shift points in the calibration, the mile is the one place I wish I had a manual trans.

Another guy Cliff Elliot, he has been there every year I've been going, his 2011 GT/CS auto ran 144.0/169.2 this year. Fairly typical bolt on car, I know it has a Boss intake, and I think headers. Cliff and I have both outrun a lot of blown and nitrous 2011+ cars and GT500s out there.

I think the big thing is reduce drag as much as possible. Anything that sticks out on a side, or up, or hangs down underneath is just slowing the car down. I don't have any rear spoiler, no GT/CS fascia or splitters on the front end, it is just a stock GT front end. I take the mirrors off, and I cover the front end of the car in Road Wrap so no air gets through the grille or the lower opening. That's it, no tape all over the car like you'll see some doing out there. This car certainly doesn't look like it runs 180, but I spend my money making it faster, not on "look at me" crap. https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/521263_10151395152413165_1084948640_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/970245_10152097454783712_1133506649_n.jpg

Boss949
12-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Kdanner,

Nice car and great times. I really like the look; simply fast.

I like your 1/4 et. What mods?

I went to The Mile for the experience of it. Not sure when I'll run it again.

Dominic Toretto
12-22-2013, 01:03 AM
This car certainly doesn't look like it runs 180, but I spend my money making it faster, not on "look at me" crap.

HEY!! I like my look-at-me crap very much sir!

Congrats on the run, 180 is very impressive in the mile. Also very impressive you are doing that NA and whooping up on some blown cars. Always enjoyed seeing your NA setup put a hurting on the tracks. Are you using stock cams, or anything aftermarket?

-Alex

kdanner
12-22-2013, 02:01 PM
I like your 1/4 et. What mods?

Other than the intake and headers on the engine, it has a converter, 3.31 axle, really good suspension and tires. 3.5 years worth of refining the calibration.

Are you using stock cams, or anything aftermarket?

Stock Boss cams.

toomnymods
12-29-2013, 04:13 AM
damn 180 in the mile is fuckin smokin.. I've never done the mile before so excuse my ignorance,lol Is blocking off all the air cooling the radiator safe? I imagine if you where making 700-800hp it'd probably cause the engine to blow or risk detonation? I'd like to try the texas mile eventually but doubt I'd come anywhere close to your numbers.
I'd be happy with 160 though :)

kdanner
12-29-2013, 05:45 PM
damn 180 in the mile is fuckin smokin.. I've never done the mile before so excuse my ignorance,lol Is blocking off all the air cooling the radiator safe? I imagine if you where making 700-800hp it'd probably cause the engine to blow or risk detonation? I'd like to try the texas mile eventually but doubt I'd come anywhere close to your numbers.
I'd be happy with 160 though :)

There's a lot of time to wait before you run so the engine is cool. I've never seen more than 212 water temp at the end of a run.