PDA

View Full Version : Does BAMA have their own warranty?

Kadeng
11-21-2013, 12:07 PM
I was informed after some deep thought about selling my extended warranty back and buying a BAMA tune and a CAI after being told that BAMA will generally fix any issues(Drive terrain) if a customer from them... really on the edge with tuning my 3.7, i would appreciate feedback from everyone!

Darkhelmet22
11-21-2013, 12:21 PM
They have some kind of warranty for cyl 8 problems but other than that i dont think they offer a warranty.

DirtyD
11-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Bama offers a #8 warranty, only because their tunes are so generalized to fit the masses, that they are protecting themselves from any backlash if their tune blows up a customer car.

You have a 3.7. The #8 warranty doesn't apply to you because you don't have a #8 cylinder.

Honestly, IMO, get with Justin Starkey at VMP tuning. You will get a much better tune and be much happier with the end result. And you don't have to worry about something happening to your car.

Dominic Toretto
11-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Bama offers a #8 warranty, only because their tunes are so generalized to fit the masses, that they are protecting themselves from any backlash if their tune blows up a customer car.

You have a 3.7. The #8 warranty doesn't apply to you because you don't have a #8 cylinder.

Honestly, IMO, get with Justin Starkey at VMP tuning. You will get a much better tune and be much happier with the end result. And you don't have to worry about something happening to your car.

Wouldn't that still void the manufacturer warranty though since the dealership can tell that the computer has been tuned?

-Alex

DirtyD
11-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Wouldn't that still void the manufacturer warranty though since the dealership can tell that the computer has been tuned?

-Alex

And tuning the vehicle with Bama won't do the same?

Bama's warranty, or whatever you want to call it, is not a replacement for the factory warranty. The odds are still slim that something would happen under the Bama tune, but even then, if your car goes down, Bama themselves have to actually look over the car and determine that their tune was what caused the problem. Then they still have the discretion of deciding to "warrant" it or not.

Just get a better tune from someone that doesn't do things conservatively and be happier in the end.

Dominic Toretto
11-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Haha, of course it would, just confirming that for the OP. Since he is considering cancelling the extended warranty may as well just expect the factory warranty to be cancelled as well.

-Alex

Courtesy Flush
11-21-2013, 02:08 PM

Bama's warranty, or whatever you want to call it, is not a replacement for the factory warranty. The odds are still slim that something would happen under the Bama tune, but even then, if your car goes down, Bama themselves have to actually look over the car and determine that their tune was what caused the problem. Then they still have the discretion of deciding to "warrant" it or not.

Just get a better tune from someone that doesn't do things conservatively and be happier in the end.

I would think he would want a tune on the more conservative side since he is worried about warranty and car problems.

So you saying he should go with Bama now?

I never had good luck with my vmp tune, shifted great ran ok but i had better...then again my car is a freak of nature so its no wonder i had some issues.

JDBishopArts
11-21-2013, 02:20 PM
I got a 6 year 100k warranty...part of it was part of the deal I worked with the car but the extended warranty also covers other parts of your car that don't have anything to do with the drivetrain and can be just as expensive to fix.

I'd keep it.

DirtyD
11-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I would think he would want a tune on the more conservative side since he is worried about warranty and car problems.

So you saying he should go with Bama now?

I never had good luck with my vmp tune, shifted great ran ok but i had better...then again my car is a freak of nature so its no wonder i had some issues.
I would much rather have a tune based off what my car was doing than one that was key punched into a program to spit out PID values to match my mods.

Dominic Toretto
11-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I got a 6 year 100k warranty...part of it was part of the deal I worked with the car but the extended warranty also covers other parts of your car that don't have anything to do with the drivetrain and can be just as expensive to fix.

I'd keep it.

Well, moreso depends on the specific extended warranty he purchased. He could have received the same extended warranty as yourself or a different one. I have an extended warranty and mine is powertrain only. Best to contact the warranty company specifically, most will just put on your loan agreement documentation a "Gold" "Silver" or "Bronze" package and you won't know what it covers unless you actually ask. Gotta love the ambiguity.

-Alex

Dominic Toretto
11-21-2013, 03:09 PM
I would much rather have a tune based off what my car was doing than one that was key punched into a program to spit out PID values to match my mods.

My assumption could be wrong but, I would think that they all come with the exact same tune from the factory. I wouldn't expect tunes to vary from one Mustang GT to the next of the same year, powertrain etc. Could you possibly explain further on that?

-Alex

DirtyD
11-21-2013, 04:28 PM
My assumption could be wrong but, I would think that they all come with the exact same tune from the factory. I wouldn't expect tunes to vary from one Mustang GT to the next of the same year, powertrain etc. Could you possibly explain further on that?

-Alex
No 2 cars are alike. Just because 2 cars have the same commanded tune values, doesn't mean each one will run exactly like the other.

blownaltered
11-21-2013, 08:27 PM

In all honesty that is what most tuners do anyways. They do adjust different values when the car is on the dyno but most start by putting your mods in the system to get a baseline.

DirtyD
11-21-2013, 08:40 PM
In all honesty that is what most tuners do anyways. They do adjust different values when the car is on the dyno but most start by putting your mods in the system to get a baseline.

But they don't leave it at that. They fine tune.

cmanley99
11-21-2013, 10:04 PM
Don't forget that even with the Bama warranty for the #8 issue, thats only if your car is still in the 3yr/36k warranty...after that, bama doesn't cover it either. They will only cover it after ford denies repair from tuning.

JDMLOL
11-22-2013, 10:46 AM
No 2 cars are alike. Just because 2 cars have the same commanded values, doesn't mean each one will run exactly like the other.

I would think differences would be very minimal. Besides gear ratios, wheels, trans. Other than tolerances of the parts which I would hope are small, what else could change how the engine responds to a tune?

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 11:02 AM
I would think differences would be very minimal. Besides gear ratios, wheels, trans. Other than tolerances of the parts which I would hope are small, what else could change how the engine responds to a tune?
That would be something I wouldn't even try to answer. Because I'm not educated enough to answer it. That's just what I've been told by many people when I said the same thing that Alex said. Steve always made sure to correct me on that, so many he can be of more help to answering that question.

JDMLOL
11-22-2013, 11:26 AM
That would be something I wouldn't even try to answer. Because I'm not educated enough to answer it. That's just what I've been told by many people when I said the same thing that Alex said. Steve always made sure to correct me on that, so many he can be of more help to answering that question.

Like Alex said. Every gt gets the same calibration from the factory. If undesirable results coming from generic tunes were that big of an issue they would all get custom tunes. I mean even carburetors had "factory" jet/screw settings for a particular engine. I wonder what Ford's defect rate with their tune is compared to __________ Performance shop's tune?

Dominic Toretto
11-22-2013, 11:47 AM
I'm not discrediting anyone here, I am certainly not a Ford engineer myself. I can, however, see a generic tune based on region. Is it possible that the manufacturers know if certain vehicles will be bought and sold to different climates so they base a minor tune difference on that?

-Alex

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Like Alex said. Every gt gets the same calibration from the factory. If undesirable results coming from generic tunes were that big of an issue they would all get custom tunes. I mean even carburetors had "factory" jet/screw settings for a particular engine. I wonder what Ford's defect rate with their tune is compared to __________ Performance shop's tune?

All the cars are built and toleranced within specs so that the tunes will work fine. When you start modifying the ECU and PCM calibrations, you don't know how close to the edge you are, depending on how your motor sits inside of the tolerance window...especially if you start modifying it.

All I'm saying is that I would rather someone actually take the time to look at, and diagnose my datalogs to see if there are any issues.

Just because the suit fits you, doesn't mean it's the best fit.

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm not discrediting anyone here, I am certainly not a Ford engineer myself. I can, however, see a generic tune based on region. Is it possible that the manufacturers know if certain vehicles will be bought and sold to different climates so they base a minor tune difference on that?

-Alex

Maybe. But I think that would be a lot more of a hassle than just right a tune for all vehicles and just grabbing a ECU and sticking it in there.

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 12:29 PM
No 2 cars are alike. Just because 2 cars have the same commanded tune values, doesn't mean each one will run exactly like the other.

Agreed. You can have two cars with the same exact mods and one will always be faster than the other.

Agreed.

A generic tune will be just that with settings within general area that will slightly gain performance. Typically adding timing/fuel etc. But these new cars are much more progressive and advanced than they used to be having to tune many more factors.

There are only a handful of tuners out there who really know how to tune these cars from scratch and aware of the "fix" for the number eight. That info originally came to a big name tuner from a friend of his who works at Ford making him privvy to the information that other tuners did not have access to explaining why two certain tuners were going faster than everyone else and the rest were blowing #8's.

A majority of "tuners" don't really write tunes from scratch. They do a pull, then even out the graph adding timing/fuel here and there to make it a nice arc rather than looking like a pre-schooler who scribbled it.

A certain cheap ass mail order tuner just has files of cars with X mods, they drop that into a new customers file and adjust it from a "datalog". It's not a custom tune like they think, it's just a cheap, quickly adjusted previous file from another similarly modded car. It's the McDonalds of tuning. lol

There are a few good tuners out there who still write tunes from scratch adjusting every 100rpm rather than graph adjusters who do it every couple of thousand RPM's.

But they don't leave it at that. They fine tune.

Only a few really fine tune. Others don't take the time and just get them close and depend on the customers butt meter to make them happy. And they usually are because it is faster than what it was before, but is it optimal? Certainly not.

There are so many factors with these progressive computers it's ridiculous. Your line of thought would apply to the old carb'd days, but not now.

LOL, don't take it personally bro. We're all learning here together. I'm just obsessive about researching and learning this stuff. There is a lot of misinformation out there. We have so much access to information out there, but the problem is too many get their information 3rd and 4th hand and take it as gospel.

Read the tuning information out there available to you. Talk to tuners in person. Someone like Kevin is a vast source of information. I'm lucky to have him as a personal friend to learn from. I went to SEMA last year and talked to John Urist for a couple of hours. The level of information you can learn from these guys is astounding.

That is why the systems are constantly recalculating while you are driving and there is a fail safe mode. If it goes beyond the perimeters of the tune, it will shut itself down going into limp mode.

In the days of carb'd cars, they just detonated and ran like shit. lol

All I'm saying is that I would rather someone actually take the time to look at, and diagnose my datalogs to see if there are any issues.

Just because the suit fits you, doesn't mean it's the best fit.

Well said.

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Not taking it personally. I was just saying that you corrected me on that before, and now I agree with you, but I don't have the knowledge to confidently answer the question. I'm over the blowing smoke part. Exactly why I left the Facebook group because of the constant dickery that takes place in there. Just got tired of the bullshit and people acting all macho because they can.

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Maybe. But I think that would be a lot more of a hassle than just right a tune for all vehicles and just grabbing a ECU and sticking it in there.

Agreed. It would take way too much time and retooling to make something like that happen. That is why the onboard systems have the ability to adjust themselves with timing etc. It's just not cost effective for the factories to do that especially for Ford that knows it has a HUGE aftermarket support of companies knocking down their doors to do that for them.

So they make an adjustable system that is safe (detuned) leaving the factory for people who don't give a shit about making power, or the owners who put crap 87 gas in it from a no name gas station in south Dallas so that it will still run and they won't be buried in warranty claims cuz they tuned it on the edge for better performance.

Ford cares about making a flexible platform that can be adjusted to all their customer base and demographics. From the teenage girl getting her first car that will treat it like shit, to the hardcore performance guy who beat the ever loving shit out of it. They have packages for everyone but it's still all the base platform so they don't have to retool at the factory to keep costs down.

BERT
11-22-2013, 12:46 PM
agreed. It would take way too much time and retooling to make something like that happen. That is why the onboard systems have the ability to adjust themselves with timing etc. It's just not cost effective for the factories to do that especially for ford that knows it has a huge aftermarket support of companies knocking down their doors to do that for them.

So they make an adjustable system that is safe (detuned) leaving the factory for people who don't give a shit about making power, or the owners who put crap 87 gas in it from a no name gas station in south dallas so that it will still run and they won't be buried in warranty claims cuz they tuned it on the edge for better performance.

Ford cares about making a flexible platform that can be adjusted to all their customer base and demographics. From the teenage girl getting her first car that will treat it like shit, to the hardcore performance guy who beat the ever loving shit out of it. They have packages for everyone but it's still all the base platform so they don't have to retool at the factory to keep costs down.

watch it!!!!!

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 12:56 PM
watch it!!!!!

No Sync, no Bluetooth, stock bicycle tires, no mods, is 87 octane really a surprise? :troll3:

blownaltered
11-22-2013, 01:15 PM
No Sync, no Bluetooth, stock bicycle tires, no mods, is 87 octane really a surprise? :troll3:

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/blownaltered/damn_zps844aceef.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/blownaltered/media/damn_zps844aceef.jpg.html)

BERT
11-22-2013, 01:16 PM

It better not be, cause that's what's going in until I need to otherwise

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 01:18 PM
It better not be, cause that's what's going in until I need to otherwise

Still saving up for that sex change operation I see..

Dominic Toretto
11-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk

-Alex

BERT
11-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Still saving up for that sex change operation I see..

Was the beard not thick enough for you?

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 01:31 PM
At least you'd have a valid exuse when you lose our race..driving like a woman.

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 01:38 PM
And running on 87.

BERT
11-22-2013, 01:44 PM

Well it damn sure won't be because you're the better driver lol

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Well it damn sure won't be because you're the better driver lol

Quoted for later. :troll3:

BERT
11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Quoted for later. :troll3:

Don't have to quote, i'm not deleting it. Unlike most people, i'm not afraid to be wrong :D

Besides, if you don't win, something is really wrong with your car

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Don't have to quote, i'm not deleting it. Unlike most people, i'm not afraid to be wrong :D

Besides, if you don't win, something is really wrong with your car

WTF, I'm married, I'm never right about anything! lol

My car is a turd with an old fat guy driving it. Should be an easy win for you.

BERT
11-22-2013, 02:01 PM
WTF, I'm married, I'm never right about anything! lol

My car is a turd with an old fat guy driving it. Should be an easy win for you.

LOL, so I just made your weekend by saying you're right? You're welcome

Your car has more done to it than mine

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 02:31 PM
My car is a turd with an old fat guy driving it.

Quoted for truth. :troll3:

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 02:33 PM
LOL, so I just made your weekend by saying you're right? You're welcome

Your car has more done to it than mine

Who's fault is that?

Quoted for truth. :troll3:

I'll never deny it. But still faster than you! :troll3:

DirtyD
11-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Who's fault is that?

Until we race to prove it, I'm not holding much stock in that. :D

BERT
11-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Who's fault is that?

My fault? I just got the damn thing!!!

Grandpa
11-22-2013, 04:23 PM
My fault? I just got the damn thing!!!

You've had it more than a day. I guess since you don't have Bluetooth you figured couldn't call and make an order for an hpipe and a programmer to catch up to my extensive mod list...

BERT
11-22-2013, 04:25 PM
You've had it more than a day. I guess since you don't have Bluetooth you figured couldn't call and make an order for an hpipe and a programmer to catch up to my extensive mod list...

I like the idea of keeping my warranty thank you very much. Unlike you, i'll reach the mileage limit before the months run out.