PDA

View Full Version : What if 2015 IRS can be retrofit into a S197?

saunupe1911
11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
It's seems to me that the S550 platform will still be extremely structurally similar to the S197 except for the rear IRS. I wonder if it will be easy to retrofit it into our S197... similar to how Terminators owners swap out IRS vs SRA? Also would you do it if the IRS proves to be a huge performance difference?

DirtyD
11-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Completely different chassis. I think the car is narrower than the S197, but I guess we will see...

The difference with the Cobra IRS to SRA was the fact the Cobra still retained the ability to mount the SRA to existing locations on the body and such.

donutninja
11-14-2013, 11:43 AM
It would be nice but would it really be worth it? I would imagine that, even if it fit, it would be a major ordeal. Prolly be better off trading in and getting a 2015....though, I think it's kind of ugly.

JDBishopArts
11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Yay for breaking half shafts!

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I personally don't see a need for it. The aftermarket available to Mustang owners is so vast and full of components that can make the SRA suspension handle very well that I don't see a need to put a very heavy IRS in it that might/might not work as well.

Hell, Corvette is still using a transverse rear leaf spring type set up and it handles better than some super cars that cost 3 times as much with really advanced IRS systems!

saunupe1911
11-14-2013, 12:07 PM
I personally don't see a need for it. The aftermarket available to Mustang owners is so vast and full of components that can make the SRA suspension handle very well that I don't see a need to put a very heavy IRS in it that might/might not work as well.

Hell, Corvette is still using a transverse rear leaf spring type set up and it handles better than some super cars that cost 3 times as much with really advanced IRS systems!

Ford has been quoted by MT and C&D saying that the rear IRS is 200 pounds lighter than today's SRA.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Ford has been quoted by MT and C&D saying that the rear IRS is 200 pounds lighter than today's SRA.

Link?

How is that even physically possible? Is it made out of plastic?

I'd believe that when I see it. Two hundred pounds is an incredible amount of weight to remove from a car entirely, let alone from just the rear end itself. Especially one with even more moving parts on it.

saunupe1911
11-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Link?

I'd believe that when I see it. Two hundred pounds is an incredible amount of weight to remove from a car entirely, let alone from just the rear end itself. Especially one with even more moving parts on it.

There you go. I assume MT and C&D have the same source since they are sibling companies and regurgitate the same info. It's much more realistic than the crazy, initial 400 pound rumor.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-convertible-spy-photos-news

My guess is that it's all aluminum control arms. I hope it's strong based upon the power they plan to make for this platform

DirtyD
11-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Link?

CF CV shafts and aluminum titanium housings....:lol:

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 12:49 PM
There you go. I assume MT and C&D have the same source since they are sibling companies and regurgitate the same info. It's much more realistic than the crazy, initial 400 pound rumor.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2015-ford-mustang-convertible-spy-photos-news

My guess is that it's all aluminum control arms. I hope it's strong based upon the power they plan to make for this platform

"The new “S550” chassis sits underneath this convertible, and it not only brings an independent rear suspension—finally—but also saves a couple hundred pounds of weight over the old car. Cutting out some fat not only will help efficiency but should also be a boon to both ride and handling."

They aren't saying the rear-end is 200lbs lighter, they are saying the whole car is a couple hundred pounds lighter which makes much more sense.

Hopefully the IRS is a vast improvement over that junky one from 2003. We will just have to wait to see.

I find myself very leary of the 2015 Mustang. Take all of the quirks of the current Coyote issues like the questionable durability of the motor itself and the MT82, then add to that a new IRS and platform that will be unproven. Wow, big gamble on a new performance car.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 12:51 PM
CF CV shafts and aluminum titanium housings....:lol:

LMAO, I see that going well. Should be cheap to repair too!

re-rx7
11-14-2013, 01:04 PM
To mustang purist the new mustang is gna take a nose dive. I myself do not like it and i agree with everuthing steve is saying.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 01:10 PM
To mustang purist the new mustang is gna take a nose dive. I myself do not like it and i agree with everuthing steve is saying.

I love the Mustang and always have ,but it seems the direction Ford is going with it makes it more BMW like than like a Mustang. And there is nothing wrong with BMW, hell they are the benchmark for performance in a lot of catagories. It's just in my opinion Ford is getting more away from what I think a Mustang is which is affordable performance for the average guy.

My current Mustang doesn't feel like a Mustang to ME. If feels closer to a Caddy than it does a Mustang. It doesn't feel as tight or performance oriented, but rather more luxury. It's different, just takes some getting used to I suppose.

saunupe1911
11-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I just want this car to be fast (in straight line as well as the corners) and affordable. I can't believe how much yall seem to favor the SRA. This is my first and last SRA car. I'm used to the quirks at this point, but it's course has run out with me. Was the Terminator IRS that bad? Yall are bitter lol

Also, what if the price doesn't increase? It will still be the best bang-for-ya-buck performance car.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 01:37 PM
I just want this car to be fast (in straight line as well as the corners) and affordable. I can't believe how much yall seem to favor the SRA. This is my first and last SRA car. I'm used to the quirks at this point, but it's course has run out with me.

I think the point you are missing here is that no one would mind an IRS if it was durable enough to handle the abuse and wasn't so expensive. The Mustang aftermarket is huge and all the issues with the SRA suspension have been ironed out. You can beat the ever loving snot out of a SRA and it will hold up to the abuse. If you ever had been in a Terminator with bad wheel hop from the crap IRS you'd understand why. They are junk!

The IRS in 03-04 was a miserable failure that twisted halfshafts with even stock power let alone the guys with real power. Foofinator kept extra Lvl 5 halfshafts on the shelf because they broke so often. Most Terminator guys who race a lot usually convert to a SRA axle. That should tell you something.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Also, what if the price doesn't increase? It will still be the best bang-for-ya-buck performance car.

The price will increase. It always does, you can count on that. You think they would develop a new platform with a new IRS and not raise the price? Not likely.

DirtyD
11-14-2013, 01:41 PM
The IRS Ford put in the 03-04 wasn't meant for what those cars were built for. That IRS was from a consumer level car, and not intended for racing and burnouts.

saunupe1911
11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I got faith in Ford. They will get his right! There's too much riding on it.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
The IRS Ford put in the 03-04 wasn't meant for what those cars were built for. That IRS was from a consumer level car, and not intended for racing and burnouts.

So you're saying that people who were buying Cobras had no intention of racing them or doing burnouts? :rofl:

kdanner
11-14-2013, 02:43 PM
It'll end up like the current Camaro. You'll wait for the aftermarket to produce things like a 9" center section and halfshafts that will take the abuse, and they will be $$$. Even then, an IRS won't plant the tires at a dragstrip or even on the street like a solid rear axle will, no way to use the torque to work the suspension like a solid rear axle car can.

03MachMe
11-14-2013, 02:53 PM
You guys are forgetting that 90% of the market could care less how it will hold up to repeated launches at the track. They are doing it because it rides better and handles better. They have said numerous times that they are trying to make the Mustang a global brand and sell a lot more over seas. One of the biggest complaints from other markets was the ride with the SRA. I would love an irs as long as it can handle road course abuse. A better ride on the street and better handling in the turns sounds like a win win to me.

DirtyD
11-14-2013, 03:04 PM
So you're saying that people who were buying Cobras had no intention of racing them or doing burnouts? :rofl:
No. read it again.

I'm saying that Ford was stupid in thinking that IRS was up to snuff to handle what they built the car for, and what they knew people would do with that car. Their assumption made an ass of them.

If Ford were smart, and it was stupid expensive to do so, they would offer a SRA as an option to those people that wanted to pay for it.

03cobrarocks
11-14-2013, 03:10 PM
No. read it again.

I'm saying that Ford was stupid in thinking that IRS was up to snuff to handle what they built the car for, and what they knew people would do with that car. Their assumption made an ass of them.

If Ford were smart, and it was stupid expensive to do so, they would offer a SRA as an option to those people that wanted to pay for it.

Would be awesome to see more options performance related as opposed to looks...

03cobrarocks
11-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Was the Terminator IRS that bad? Yall are bitter lol

I have had my terminator since 02 and I can tell ya the IRS was horrid! At least for wanting to race from a stop or slow roll. After i got a pulley i was like solid axle time! Was so nice doing burnouts and not having the rear end feel like a jack rabbit.

It use to be pretty expensive to get it setup nicely and keep the IRS, not sure if this is still the case. However not sure if you can fix the durability issue to much extent.

Tires fixed about 75% of it in my case but when I raced someone or was goofing around I didn't want to loose ground from wheel hop... Plus it just sounded dang goofy when you were getting wheel hop at wot lol.

Grandpa
11-14-2013, 03:15 PM
No. read it again.

To the optimist, the glass is half-full. To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Crimson600+HP
11-14-2013, 03:23 PM
I still think the IRS is the way for the Mustang to go. I think the SRA is at the limits of its capabilities in the handling department, without major help from the aftermarket. Road racing mine, a watts link was vital for me to keep the rear planted firmly throughout corners and I think a proper IRS will be even better.

However, this is going to come with some shortfalls. Price will increase for every model of the new Mustang. That, or there will not be as many standard features on it like there is nowadays on 2013+'s. I think Ford will do a decent job with the IRS, but the reliability of it scares the hell out of me.

For me, I will give the S550 one whole model run before I get rid of my 2013. Plus having a ProCharger strapped to it right now is enough to keep me happy :)

DirtyD
11-14-2013, 03:25 PM
To the optimist, the glass is half-full. To the pessimist, the glass is half-empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Damn right it is!

saunupe1911
11-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Damn no wonder yall aren't that excited for it. I just want a more balanced car. My current setup is probably about as good as it gets for the streets/corners/drag.

Courtesy Flush
11-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Damn no wonder yall aren't that excited for it. I just want a more balanced car. My current setup is probably about as good as it gets for the streets/corners/drag.

Whats to be excited about?

Same motor options.
Same Transmission options.
Ugly body update.
New IRS.

Let all the yuppies buy the 2015's and work out the quirks.

Maybe in a few years ill look into one.

Slow Five-O
11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Whats to be excited about?

Same motor options.
Same Transmission options.
Ugly body update.
New IRS.

Let all the yuppies buy the 2015's and work out the quirks.

Maybe in a few years ill look into one.

Here's s what i like about the 2015.

Same motor options
Same transmission options
New body style (i like it)
Not that excited about the irs but we'll see.
-200 lbs.

Auto plus slicks and i doubt I'll have trouble with wheel hop and half shafts. I'll let ya know. :D

saunupe1911
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Alright guys thoughts on the reveal. I'm exciting about the paddle shifters, big brakes, and electronic controls

Crimson600+HP
12-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I have done almost everything you can do aftermarket wise to the SRA. It is a very stable SRA know, I noticed it when I have been chasing stock or adjustable panhard bar Mustangs at the track that mine is a lot more stable over imperfections of a road course. However, my car cannot compete with the confidence given by an IRS. I have to use skill, anticipation, and some balls when whipping around corners (more than the ZL1 I was chasing).

The MotorTrend channel on YouTube did a great video on the 2015 Mustang with the department heads of Ford. This car is lower to the ground, wider, and has a ton of capability that forced the engineers to build a proper sports car. I love my 2013 GT, love the challenge of driving it fast, but I would love to have a car that doesn't have you white knuckled all the time. They also revealed that the 2.3 EcoBoost car is going to be north of 305HP and have a broad torque curve similar to the 3.5 EcoBoost in the F150. That means this car is going to have great weight advantages and 50/50 weight distribution. To me, it's not a Mustang as I know it, but that car is going to be fast on the track once the aftermarket gets ahold of it. They also suggested that there was room left in the front for a possible intercooler...so a Turbo 5.0 V8 is probably going to be the SVT model. I can't wait to see this thing in person.

I think Ford played it safe on the looks. To me it is kind of bland outside of the rear end.