PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Overflowing

donutninja
11-14-2013, 01:06 AM
So I just stopped at a shell station at 183 and Regal Row to get some much needed gas. Forgot I needed gas when I left for work this morning and the light was on.

I noticed the pump was going crazy fast. YAY! then all of a sudden the gas came pouring out all over the side of the car and the ground.

I wasn't watching the pump because I figured it would stop when the tank was full....you know... like always. I wiped off all the gas within about 3 minutes (had to go inside and ask for towels)

A few questions
1) Is all that gas going to mess up the clear coat. I wiped it up as soon as I could but it was almost the entire rear quarter.
2) Was it the car or the gas pump that caused this to happen and should I bring it into Ford? I always thought the pump itself had a backup sensor and killed on its own.
3) or am I just an idiot and missed something?

At least I have a super full tank of gas now? ( >_<)

fordplay
11-14-2013, 08:23 AM
I have had this happen at shell with my Mustang and my flex, it seems shell does not like fords filler neck. So I don't think it's both my cars. As for your paint it will be fine , wash the area and reapply polish and wax

maxpayne
11-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Same thing happens to me occasionally, but not that bad. It pisses me off, but now I am super careful when removing the pump handle.

JDMLOL
11-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Not every pump has an automatic shutoff feature. They are supposed to post if it doesn't work. I've been to a few where it was posted and I wasn't paying attention and it ran over a little bit.

donutninja
11-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks guys.

DirtyD
11-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Yeah, just make sure that the attendant knows the auto shut off is not working, because that's a BIG no-no if they don't know about it.

Same thing happened to me, and my clearcoat is fine.