PDA

View Full Version : About to go all out

Dan12GT
11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
In preparation for the Winter weather I am going to be doing some serious detailing.

I plan to start off with doing some paint correction by doing some swirl removing. I previously purchased this kit:

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-meguiars-kit.html

* In preparation of that I will be giving the car a full bath in Dawn to remove any tough contaminates.

* Then clay the entire car with this:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-18&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=18

* Then a quick wash in dawn again.

* Then into the polishing starting with the Meguiars 105 compound first on the orange pad then followed up with the 205 compound finishing glaze on the grey pad.

* After polishing is complete It will get a fine mist of:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-6&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=10

To remove any excess polishing residue

* Finally I will begin with applying the final polishing glaze (3 coats):
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=7

* After that is complete it will get the final sealing coat to lock in gloss / wetness:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-8&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=12

* For some final clear coat protection it will get a coat of:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-CS&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=6

This is going to require A LOT of time, probably 20hrs+. Will be a 2 day+ job I am sure. I will probably have to break my efforts into stages which unfortunately will require more washes but the end result should be stunning.

I will be starting this on my vacation I have coming up on the 21st.

Dan12GT
11-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I also probably will do the wheels completely separate and off the car to make it easy, probably put them up on a table one at a time and work on them.

03MachMe
11-08-2013, 02:03 PM
I plan to do something similar next weekend after I install my parts. Should look good especially with the black.

Grandpa
11-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, that's one way to spend your vacation. haha. It will look really good when you're done!

bird_dog0347
11-08-2013, 02:10 PM
When I got my '14 a few months ago I went home and bought the stuff from Zaino right away. I got the clay bar, Z2, ZFX, and Z6 spray. The next weekend I washed it with dawn, clayed it, washed it again, Z2, buff, Z6, Z2, buff, Z6, and it looked KILLER! Just this past weekend I added another coat of Z2 and plan to keep doing that every few months. I keep it clean and wash it with Zaino soap at least once a week with regular mist&shine wipes pretty much daily.

It is a lot of work, but it's totally worth it. I did all mine by hand as my car was pretty much brand new and didn't require any correction after the clay.

Courtesy Flush
11-08-2013, 02:15 PM
I dread this kind of work, so repetitive. This is why my cars white...easy to keep looking good.

Grandpa
11-08-2013, 02:21 PM
When I got my '14 a few months ago I went home and bought the stuff from Zaino right away. I got the clay bar, Z2, ZFX, and Z6 spray. The next weekend I washed it with dawn, clayed it, washed it again, Z2, buff, Z6, Z2, buff, Z6, and it looked KILLER! Just this past weekend I added another coat of Z2 and plan to keep doing that every few months. I keep it clean and wash it with Zaino soap at least once a week with regular mist&shine wipes pretty much daily.

It is a lot of work, but it's totally worth it. I did all mine by hand as my car was pretty much brand new and didn't require any correction after the clay.

How much did all that Zaino stuff cost?

re-rx7
11-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Since you are putting in all this work when it comes time to buff/wax mask off the plastics and tailights. It will save you a ton of time. Dont forget the interior especially the leather!! Use Lexol cleaner/conditioner. Ph balanced and will keep the leather pristine for years to come. I usuallly do my Seats once every couple of months and the steering wheel once a month.

bird_dog0347
11-08-2013, 02:27 PM

I think it was like $85-95 shipped, don't recall the exact amount but a little goes a LONG way.

Since you are putting in all this work when it comes time to buff/wax mask off the plastics and tailights. It will save you a ton of time. Dont forget the interior especially the leather!! Use Lexol cleaner/conditioner. Ph balanced and will keep the leather pristine for years to come. I usuallly do my Seats once every couple of months and the steering wheel once a month.

If you are only using Zaino, it will not leave a white residue and it is hands down the easiest to remove I've ever used. Just follow their instructions on the website and you can't go wrong!

Dan12GT
11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Well, that's one way to spend your vacation. haha. It will look really good when you're done!

Haha yep, I am gonna be soar. Some well desired beers to stare at the shine will make it worth it.

I dread this kind of work, so repetitive. This is why my cars white...easy to keep looking good.

White defiantly has its perks for sure. I like white a lot too, almost bought white.

Depends on what you get. I originally bought this Steve:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-2&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=2

I've since had to buy some more wash and z6 spray but that's it. I will be having to buy the additional stuff. I like Zaino because their products are well priced and some of the best stuff you can buy. They do need to expand into paint correction stuff more rather than just paint maintenance.

Oh ya. I've done one round of buffing before, it definitely heavily pays off to mask off windows, plastics, etc. I also have Zaino's leather cleaner and conditioner, I love it. My seats get treated every 2 months.

Dan12GT
11-08-2013, 02:42 PM
I plan to do something similar next weekend after I install my parts. Should look good especially with the black.

Its a chore but you'll thank yourself. Especially the next wash after. Water just rolls off the car.

re-rx7
11-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Oh ya. I've done one round of buffing before, it definitely heavily pays off to mask off windows, plastics, etc. I also have Zaino's leather cleaner and conditioner, I love it. My seats get treated every 2 months.

Def do stering wheel as well. Shiny leather is dirty leather.

Dan12GT
11-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Def do stering wheel as well. Shiny leather is dirty leather.

Always do, and shifter boot / e-brake boot and handles.

re-rx7
11-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Always do, and shifter boot / e-brake boot and handles.

I did mine as well until I bought the Shelby boot.

BERT
11-08-2013, 03:35 PM
This thread alone is making me tired.

Grandpa
11-08-2013, 04:00 PM
That's something I don't have is a good leather cleaner/conditioner.

re-rx7
11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Lexol is one of the best and readily avail. Even autogeek.net reccomends it.

Grandpa
11-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Lexol is one of the best and readily avail. Even autogeek.net reccomends it.

Can I find it on a shelf somewhere or do I need to order it?

re-rx7
11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Oreillys, autozone, walmart. Buy the cleaner and conditoner and a one of those finger nail brushes they usually have at the front of Oreillys. Soft enough for nails soft enough for leather. LOL I agitate the product on the leather with this brush and wipe off with a clean cloth( white so you can see the dirt). You will need to a bucket of water as well. Spray product, dip nal brush in bucket, scrub scrub scrub lightly, wipe off with clean damp towel. The conditoner is simple.

DirtyD
11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
I wish I had the room to do something like this.

Going to come out sick, Danny!

Dan12GT
11-08-2013, 04:34 PM
I wish I had the room to do something like this.

Going to come out sick, Danny!

You can always swing by my place and we can do yours sometime. Would go a lot faster having help haha!

DirtyD
11-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I may take you up on that sometime when I can figure out a free weekend. I'll include beers in my payment. :D

jerseyjoe
11-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Dan, Sounds like a good plan and will be well worth the time spent. By hand sucks, the porter should really help out. I will be doing the same in December on my car, I've been eyeing a porter cable & looking for a black friday deal. I will do the same stages with Wolfgang swirl/polish/sealer.

Dan12GT
11-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Dan, Sounds like a good plan and will be well worth the time spent. By hand sucks, the porter should really help out. I will be doing the same in December on my car, I've been eyeing a porter cable & looking for a black friday deal. I will do the same stages with Wolfgang swirl/polish/sealer.

The Porter Cable helps tremendously. I can't image doing a swirl remover compound without it. It still takes some time and can tire you out controlling the machine but sure as hell beats doing it by hand.

maxpayne
11-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Take some pictures and post them when you finish! I did something similar (no paint correction and polish) not too long ago and water still just runs off the car. Good products make a world of difference. Good luck and get the Advil ready!

re-rx7
11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
A deeper shine use caranuba, for a longer lasting shine use synthtic wax.

maxpayne
11-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Also, you are going to need a shit ton of microfiber towels! Lol

re-rx7
11-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Order them, The ones you buy at the store are poop.

Dan12GT
11-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Take some pictures and post them when you finish! I did something similar (no paint correction and polish) not too long ago and water still just runs off the car. Good products make a world of difference. Good luck and get the Advil ready!

I will take pics for sure

bird_dog0347
11-09-2013, 05:32 PM
FYI, the Zaino shouldn't be applied with your PC but rather by hand. All directions say so for their stuff. For your correction steps, yeah, use the PC... but not for the Zaino.

Dan12GT
11-10-2013, 08:42 AM
FYI, the Zaino shouldn't be applied with your PC but rather by hand. All directions say so for their stuff. For your correction steps, yeah, use the PC... but not for the Zaino.

OH ya I won't be doing the Zaino with the PC, Only the correction parts. I've done the Zaino now twice its a pain but totally worth it. I just haven't gone the full route of using the Z8 and Clear Seal.

Dan12GT
11-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Order them, The ones you buy at the store are poop.

I generally use O'Rileys or Auto zone microfibers but I cut off the borders. I've also used the ones Zaino sells and the ones that come from Autogeek. They are all about the same.

re-rx7
11-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Im referring to the size. I like the bigger towels that way I can use just one for the whole car.

maxpayne
11-10-2013, 12:32 PM
I generally use O'Rileys or Auto zone microfibers but I cut off the borders. I've also used the ones Zaino sells and the ones that come from Autogeek. They are all about the same.

Damn. Nice. I never though about that.

Dan12GT
11-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Im referring to the size. I like the bigger towels that way I can use just one for the whole car.

Ya the size does help a bunch. I use 16" towels for polishing and the normal smaller sizes for washing.

re-rx7
11-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Size always matters. LOL

garner
11-11-2013, 02:03 AM
This thread alone is making me tired.

I'm with this guy

Gonna look amazing when finished though

Dan12GT
11-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Getting ready for some serious soar arms, legs, and back:

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p548/danielh22185/IMG_1876_zps05d7b700.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/danielh22185/media/IMG_1876_zps05d7b700.jpg.html)

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p548/danielh22185/IMG_1877_zps6f450d7b.jpg (http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/danielh22185/media/IMG_1877_zps6f450d7b.jpg.html)

brembo12
11-16-2013, 06:49 PM
interesting.......and Zaino the "rave" of the numerous forums....never subscribed to the hysteria........
105, 205 Meguiars.....as good as any......

Dan12GT
11-16-2013, 07:50 PM
interesting.......and Zaino the "rave" of the numerous forums....never subscribed to the hysteria........
105, 205 Meguiars.....as good as any......

I've used a lot of other products before. I'd have to say Zaino is hands down the easiest to use and price is good on most of their products.

brembo12
11-19-2013, 04:10 AM
I've used a lot of other products before. I'd have to say Zaino is hands down the easiest to use and price is good on most of their products.

can't argue there but got burnt out on the zaino hysteria of years past... :3811797817_8d685371

Dan12GT
11-21-2013, 02:35 PM
can't argue there but got burnt out on the zaino hysteria of years past... :3811797817_8d685371

I get ya. People tend to hype things up a lot but I have found zero reason yet to quick using the products I buy from them that I do.