PDA

View Full Version : Cat deletion

re-rx7
11-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Been thinking about doing a Hpipe or Xpipe sometime in the future, but I see alot of people selling them after not having them on very long? Noise, smell or something else the reason or is it really not that bad?

DirtyD
11-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Deleting the cats give you a much stronger gas smell, but honestly, mine hasn't been near as bad as some people make it to be. And I even have a slight leak on the driver side.

re-rx7
11-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Deleting the cats give you a much stronger gas smell, but honestly, mine hasn't been near as bad as some people make it to be. And I even have a slight leak on the driver side.

Im just curious because I see alotn of people selling them on here and craigslist with 1-3k miles.

BERT
11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Im just curious because I see alotn of people selling them on here and craigslist with 1-3k miles.

I wondered this as well.

DirtyD
11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
A lot of people do it too because of the increased exhaust volume. And I've noticed a lot are X pipes over H pipes.

re-rx7
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
A lot of people do it too because of the increased exhaust volume. And I've noticed a lot are X pipes over H pipes.

This is true as well. Id rather have an H but, Im not gonna purchase one if its annoying to have it on your car. The power increase sounds great! I have Gt500 AB's so I now it wont be overly loud as Steve has the same setup. I wonder if people putting these on with other louder AB's are the cause for not keeping them long?

DirtyD
11-04-2013, 12:58 PM
This is true as well. Id rather have an H but, Im not gonna purchase one if its annoying to have it on your car. The power increase sounds great! I have Gt500 AB's so I now it wont be overly loud as Steve has the same setup. I wonder if people putting these on with other louder AB's are the cause for not keeping them long?
Probably. A lot of people out there with these cars have flow through mufflers, not baffled design, and so when they delete the cats, the sound level just becomes ridiculous with a capital R. But instead of giving up their sacred axlebacks, and finding a more suitable muffler, they just toss the mid-pipe.

DirtyD
11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I will say this, if you want a O/R mid-pipe, stay away from JBA. Most other brands are pretty good in terms of fitment and quality.

BERT
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
I will say this, if you want a O/R mid-pipe, stay away from JBA. Most other brands are pretty good in terms of fitment and quality.

Why is this? Cause JBA is 3" all the way through?

JDMLOL
11-04-2013, 01:17 PM

The jba mid pipes designed for the stock manifolds have a separate cat delete section that connects between the mid pipe and manifolds, which causes leak and fitment issues.

I love my setup which is in my sig. It's a little loud for some. If I ever get tired of the outlaws I will switch to the gt500s or maybe the 13' quad gt500s. O/R mid and gt500 sounds perfect. Throaty and not too loud.

I personally like the smell.

re-rx7
11-04-2013, 01:45 PM
The jba mid pipes designed for the stock manifolds have a separate cat delete section that connect between the mid pipe and manifolds, which causes leak and fitment issues.

I love my setup which is in my sig. It's a little loud for some. If I ever get tired of the outlaws I will switch to the gt500s or maybe the 13' quad gt500s. O/R mid and gt500 sounds perfect. Throaty and not too loud.

I personally like the smell.

I enjoy the smell as well lol! From what i was reading people were just saying how bad the smell wasand it got me to thinking. Yea Ive heard to always buy just the one peice MP to avoid leaking problems.

Courtesy Flush
11-04-2013, 01:47 PM

Its the 2 piece design.
The purpose was to offer customers the ability to swap between catted or no cats.

Many reports of exhaust leaks and fitment issues.

DirtyD
11-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Fitment issues with having to cut off a section of the over axle pipes because the mid pipe is too long, as well as exhaust leak issues.

Grandpa
11-04-2013, 02:35 PM

In my opinion you see then for sale quite often is because most 5.0 owners aren't happy with just a mid pipe and a tune and most owners are going the full bolt on route due to blower kits being so expensive for these cars. In the process they are ditching the midpipes and going with longtubes headers.

You're welcome to check out my car is you like before you buy. I'm happy as I can be with the way my car sounds. It sounds great at WOT, but not too loud or raspy. It's nice deep tone that is very manageable. In 5th gear it's a nice deep rumble, but no drone. In 6th it's very quiet still which is nice for those times you don't want to hear it much.

Probably. A lot of people out there with these cars have flow through mufflers, not baffled design, and so when they delete the cats, the sound level just becomes ridiculous with a capital R. But instead of giving up their sacred axlebacks, and finding a more suitable muffler, they just toss the mid-pipe.

I agree. These 5.0's aren't my favorite sounding Mustang to start with and very few set ups I find pleasing to the ears. The really loud ones are just obnoxious and sound like boats in the water. I really wish these cars sounded more like the 4.6's. My wife's Mach sounds amazing and wish my car sounded like her car.

I enjoy the smell as well lol! From what i was reading people were just saying how bad the smell wasand it got me to thinking. Yea Ive heard to always buy just the one peice MP to avoid leaking problems.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of 5.0 owners are running junk email tunes that might not being running in optimial condition. My car doesn't stink at all.

DirtyD
11-04-2013, 02:46 PM
In my opinion you see then for sale quite often is because most 5.0 owners aren't happy with just a mid pipe and a tune and most owners are going the full bolt on route due to blower kits being so expensive for these cars. In the process they are ditching the midpipes and going with longtubes headers.

You're welcome to check out my car is you like before you buy. I'm happy as I can be with the way my car sounds. It sounds great at WOT, but not too loud or raspy. It's nice deep tone that is very manageable. In 5th gear it's a nice deep rumble, but no drone. In 6th it's very quiet still which is nice for those times you don't want to hear it much.

I agree. These 5.0's aren't my favorite sounding Mustang to start with and very few set ups I find pleasing to the ears. The really loud ones are just obnoxious and sound like boats in the water. I really wish these cars sounded more like the 4.6's. My wife's Mach sounds amazing and wish my car sounded like her car.

You also have to keep in mind that a lot of 5.0 owners are running junk email tunes that might not being running in optimial condition. My car doesn't stink at all.
I read awhile back (don't remember where) but the reason the new 5.0 sounds like it does is because it uses the firing order of the flathead V8, versus how the older mod motors jumped around with the "random" firing order.

I think the GT500 exhaust setup is the best one to mimick the old 5.0 sound. At least that's what I've had other buddies tell me.

Rydawg1
11-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I have a Lethal O/R H and GT500 axle backs and have had no fitment issues, no drone, it's not too loud, but loud enough to be heard when you get on it.

Grandpa
11-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I read awhile back (don't remember where) but the reason the new 5.0 sounds like it does is because it uses the firing order of the flathead V8, versus how the older mod motors jumped around with the "random" firing order.

I think the GT500 exhaust setup is the best one to mimick the old 5.0 sound. At least that's what I've had other buddies tell me.

True on both statements.

re-rx7
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I may take you up on that. Longtubes vs the mids. I wonder if its worth the xtra money for the xtra power? $ per HP wise. If and when I get the H-pipe Im gna get a tune.

Ive heard the samething countless times.

Courtesy Flush
11-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I may take you up on that. Longtubes vs the mids. I wonder if its worth the xtra money for the xtra power? $ per HP wise. If and when I get the H-pipe Im gna get a tune.

You're bumping your for sale thread and you're looking at header options?

JDMLOL
11-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Sort of my thoughts. Lol. Someone is indecisive.

re-rx7
11-04-2013, 03:58 PM

Im at a paradox. LOL. IF it doesnt sell this week Im gna keep it till the 2015's. Im tryna sell it this week because my dads lot just got in a 2010 Shelby with 45k on and it was signed by shelby!. I figure it will be gone inside of a week. So I gave myself a week to sell mine. Plus it was signed by shelby!

link to car.
http://bobutterford.net/Sherman-TX/For-Sale/Used/Ford/Mustang/2010-GT500-Blue-Car/22656282/

garner
11-04-2013, 08:22 PM
I'll give my input on this. I bought my lethal off road h 2 weeks ago from my buddy who had it for a month. He took it off to trade the car in, and now I'm thinking of selling it cause there's other things I'd rather do. Plus the reason I bought it was for a ghost cam tune but I'm now leaning away from it. Haven't installed it

jerseyjoe
11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Im selling my jba o/r H after just a few hundred miles. I love these cars but I guess i am guilty of changing things up trying to replicate that fox body 5.0 sound. I like my roush ab's a lot, but I think the deeper muscle car sound can be had with off road H and gt-500s.