PDA

View Full Version : Limits of the Aluminator?

JDMLOL
10-30-2013, 08:38 PM
What are power/tq limits of a 5.0 aluminator? What is the difference between the aluminator and the aluminator xs?

A302
10-30-2013, 09:31 PM
I'm curious to know this too.

Grandpa
10-30-2013, 11:56 PM
The block itself is the limiting factor.

JDMLOL
10-31-2013, 08:47 AM
The block itself is the limiting factor.

Same block as factory coyote?

Does anyone make cast iron coyote blocks or coyote blocks that support ~1000hp?

blownaltered
10-31-2013, 11:13 AM
I've picked up one of the coyote blocks and they are damn light. I am shocked they hold to the power they do.

Grandpa
10-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Same block as factory coyote?

Does anyone make cast iron coyote blocks or coyote blocks that support ~1000hp?

It seems to be hit and miss. Some break at 700rw others have held at 1200rw. No one has made a block yet that is guaranteed to hold big power yet.

Midnight11
10-31-2013, 11:28 AM
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/

yes i know mmr but im pretty sure beefcake runs the block fine

downtime!
10-31-2013, 11:51 AM
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/

yes i know mmr but im pretty sure beefcake runs the block fineWhat I've learned over the years about things like this is, even with local shops, the failures are almost never reported about and the successes are played up all over the internet.

Shop - "Hey, I have an 800 rwhp Coyote that runs low 9's"

Everyone everywhere - "awesome! build me one"

Reality - "It took us destroying 3 motors (which we get at cost, but you won't) to do it, but we're not telling you about that part.

At this level, money goes away in quantum leaps, but is usually helped out through some form of sponsorship.

Terry does seem to have some pretty good luck with his though, and has usually been forthcoming about the issues too.

Grandpa
10-31-2013, 12:00 PM
What I've learned over the years about things like this is, even with local shops, the failures are almost never reported about and the successes are played up all over the internet.

Shop - "Hey, I have an 800 rwhp Coyote that runs low 9's"

Everyone everywhere - "awesome! build me one"

Reality - "It took us destroying 3 motors (which we get at cost, but you won't) to do it, but we're not telling you about that part.

At this level, money goes away in quantum leaps, but is usually helped out through some form of sponsorship.

Terry does seem to have some pretty good luck with his though, and has usually been forthcoming about the issues too.

I'm going to agree with you here. The competition between those guys is really tense and they aren't going to put anything out there that could be used to rape them online from all the bandwagoners.

Terry has to be using some kind of cage on that crank pulley kind of like the big TS Cobras do to keep from that crank walking around destroying the block. So it's not just the block holding it all together.

Yagermeister
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I believe Terry has been through three blocks himself ;)

Doug1227
11-04-2013, 03:14 PM
I'd like to live comfortably in the 800-850 range and plan on going Aluminator. I don't think I'll have any issues with that. That's probably about the limits of my KB 2.8 anyways...

JDMLOL
11-04-2013, 11:46 PM
What is the difference between the regular one and the xs version?

I feel like getting the factory motor built vs the regular aluminator is a wash or could even come out cheaper to go with the aluminator. Plus if the alumintor takes a shit you have your old motor. Is that an accurate statement?

I'd be happy with somewhere in the 700-750rw range.

A302
11-05-2013, 06:26 PM
If I were to go with the Aluminator I would replace the oil pump.