PDA

View Full Version : Dash Cam

Sieran
10-25-2013, 02:13 PM
I just ordered a dash cam for my stang. Sick and tired of people cutting me off in turn lanes, switching lanes and stopping short, or blowing stop signs/lights and nearly taking me out. Happens about daily on the way to work. Had one guy this morning in his F150 Platinum blow a 4 way at about 40mph in Parker. Scared the shit out of me....

Figured the $200 would more than pay for itself if anything ever happened.

After doing some research, I decided on this once since it had one of the higher temperature thresholds: http://www.amazon.com/LUKAS-LK-7900-ACE-8GB-GPS/dp/B00C48TJ58

Just not sure where to mount it yet and what to splice the wires into. Is there anything that is switched power up by the map lights? That or I can just run a wire around the windshield and through the firewall to the fuse box, but would like to avoid that.

Mrjeremyt
10-25-2013, 02:15 PM
you need to figure out the amperage and then decide what circuit to splice into.

Sieran
10-25-2013, 02:19 PM
From the spec sheet...

~200mA

*edit*

whoops, posted too soon.

There anything up there that could handle that? I could probably pull the power plug out of the center dash and route it to there, but I think that is always on.

http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Lukas-LK-7900-Ace-Specifications.jpgyou need to figure out the amperage and then decide what circuit to splice into.

Mrjeremyt
10-25-2013, 02:22 PM
That's what I was just about to suggest. One of those power outlets, the radio could work. Also you could run it off your drl, but they turn off with the e brake applied.

maxpayne
10-25-2013, 02:42 PM
This is a great idea! I have never even thought of this.

However, what happens if the cam records you being negligent while driving and you (God forbid) get into an accident. The footage may be subpoenaed and used against you/your insurance company. Just some food for thought. Also, re-read your insurance coverage policy to make sure a dash cam is not forbidden. It is 99% likely that a "dash cam" is not referred to or referenced but it would give you a piece of mind.

Also, is there an erase feature or button or something similar to quickly delete footage?

DirtyD
10-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Tap into the ignition wire or accessory wire that way it stays on until you open your doors.

I just use my GoPro, but this is a great alternative.

rriddle3
10-25-2013, 02:46 PM
...Just not sure where to mount it yet and what to splice the wires into. Is there anything that is switched power up by the map lights? That or I can just run a wire around the windshield and through the firewall to the fuse box, but would like to avoid that.
Remember that if it can be seen from outside it becomes a tempting target for theives.

Sieran
10-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Remember that if it can be seen from outside it becomes a tempting target for theives.

It's removable like a radar detector or GPS unit, so if i am heading in for a movie or some place for an extended time I'll just take it down. For the most part I am parked in a parking garage at work or in my home garage.

It was a thought, but I am not too worried about it.

Sieran
10-25-2013, 03:22 PM
This is a great idea! I have never even thought of this.

However, what happens if the cam records you being negligent while driving and you (God forbid) get into an accident. The footage may be subpoenaed and used against you/your insurance company. Just some food for thought. Also, re-read your insurance coverage policy to make sure a dash cam is not forbidden. It is 99% likely that a "dash cam" is not referred to or referenced but it would give you a piece of mind.

Also, is there an erase feature or button or something similar to quickly delete footage?

Tap into the ignition wire or accessory wire that way it stays on until you open your doors.

I just use my GoPro, but this is a great alternative.

I'll have to check with my insurance (though not sure why they would prohibit a camera... you would think they would want one). As far as a quick erase, it does not, but I suppose you could just pop the SD card out real quick.

I have my GoPro also, but figured a $350 camera that has a short battery span unless I plug it in and no recording looping would be too much of a hassle. Though before I found this I was probably one idiot away from using it anyways.

DirtyD
10-25-2013, 03:44 PM
I have thought about getting one...but decided not to.

Sieran
10-25-2013, 03:51 PM
I have thought about getting one...but decided not to.

Well, I am taking a gamble with this (specially for 200 bucks). Most reviews I see about cameras here in the US are pretty bad.

I just hope it holds up long enough to make it feel worth the purchase... and I hope I never have to use it. This one comes from Korea instead of China, and seems to get better reviews than say BlackVue which overheats a lot.

Plus, now I can create a video mash-up of the mentally retarded people I have to share the road with then upload it to youtube. Just like all those Russian videos, only from Dallas. :facepalm:

DirtyD
10-25-2013, 04:20 PM
There is a guy on YouTube that drives a VW around the Dallas/Plano area that does videos. They are kind of boring though...

Sieran
10-29-2013, 01:19 AM
There is a guy on YouTube that drives a VW around the Dallas/Plano area that does videos. They are kind of boring though...

Chalk this up to another boring video... just a test run.

QaZ4ahsSh2E

DirtyD
10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm very impressed by that camera after seeing the quality of the video. The speed and time are also excellent to have.

Mrjeremyt
10-29-2013, 03:17 PM
That's a really nice picture. I might have to get me one of these now. The accuracy of the speed might even help in ticket situations, not to mention just having everything recorded incase the cop just wants to be a dick an pull you over for no reason.

moostang09
10-30-2013, 08:37 AM
I bought a Chinese one off eBay a few months back for $20 and it works damn good. Look it up on YouTube. Just type in $20 Chiba dash cam or something similar and it should have a few videos.